Is anyone else not liking "Coming up on Giant Bomb"?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Bocam

While I find it nice to know when certain things are coming. I don't like it when it seems to imply we're only getting two (one for non-members) more pieces of video content. Also why not have the bombcast show up there?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Bombcast goes up every Tuesday at a random time, usually late. No use in putting it on the homepage.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Bocam: Because the bombcast never has a set time-frame other than Tuesday. I think it's really cool, and it makes sense now that they're discontinuing ILM. Now they can just do other stupid video stuff. A weekly video thing would be awesome.
Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Taklulas

So you dislike good things? I see.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

I think it's a really good feature. Just cause its a little empty atm doesn't detract from its usefulness.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I agree to some extent. On one hand, you know when stuffs coming, but on the other it can also confirm that there's like a single QL for the day, and that can be disappointing. I always enjoyed checking back on GB after so long to see if there was new content, and even if there wasn't... after a few more hours... you never know. :O

HummingLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HummingLight

It is easily my favorite thing about the new design.  Knowing which Quick Looks and features are coming give me something to look forward to and also lets me not have to check the site every five minutes for updates.
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By SMTDante89

It's nice to know when things are coming out.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

people always find something to bitch about. 

Everyone loved I love Mondays and thats pretty much what the "coming next" option is.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By musclerider
@HummingLight said:
It is easily my favorite thing about the new design.  Knowing which Quick Looks and features are coming give me something to look forward to and also lets me not have to check the site every five minutes for updates.
This. 
I mean as exciting as it was to just come to the site and see a new quick look I'd still rather know beforehand. 
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By I_smell

So you guys don't like this feature because you used to fill your days with refreshing the home-page, and now you don't have to?

matthamilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By matthamilton
It's like I Love Mondays, but now every day is Monday! 

Needless to say, I dig it.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bocam
@I_smell: Pretty much
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777

Half the time I don't even see it. It's kinda lame it only shows up when there's a video on the front page if you ask me...

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silentghost227

It is just me or does the coming up feature only show up when there is a video featured at the top?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By BraveToaster
@Bocam said:

@I_smell: Pretty much

If that's the case, download an app for your browser that blocks the Coming Up element so you can spend your day refreshing the page.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wrighteous86

I'd rather they get rid of "Featured Games' bring back your Followed Blogs (I don't see any of them anymore now) and fix the Friends Stream. 

There's almost no point in following people anymore if their blogs and status updates don't show up on my main page. (Not that I follow many people anyway.)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bocam
@Axxol: My life is now complete again
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Th3_James

I like it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster
@Wrighteous86 said:
I'd rather they get rid of "Featured Games' bring back your Followed Blogs (I don't see any of them anymore now) and fix the Friends Stream.  There's almost no point in following people anymore if their blogs and status updates don't show up on my main page. (Not that I follow many people anyway.)
Go to your profile and you'll see Followed Blogs.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
@Enigma777 said:
Half the time I don't even see it. It's kinda lame it only shows up when there's a video on the front page if you ask me...
This is why I don't like the new feature. Have that shit show up all of the time.
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazielCuts

I actually don't like knowing when things are coming up. Like that week they played all the PC Adventure games, it was like, oh here's one, oh here's another one, oh wait - another one! This is awesome! 

I guess I kinda like the surprise of turning up on the site and hey there's a random QL I wasn't expecting. I feel like this site is veering away from what made it unique, the original video content. Less news, more video. I know its time consuming to do video and a news article is the quicker content stuffer but I have plenty of other gaming news sites I go to, GiantBomb will never be it for me in that respect.  

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaneDev

I was think what with the way this site operates that it will probably never be updated on time or be correct except for regular shows like TNT and the HH.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like it, makes the site looks active.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By emem
@silentghost227 said:

It is just me or does the coming up feature only show up when there is a video featured at the top?

I don't see it either and I think I haven't seen it in a few days, to be honest.  

I can live without it.. actually I prefer to be surprised. 

Edit: Oh alright, so it really is only visible when a video is on top..
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Getz

Frankly, I don't like checking the site throughout the day hoping for something to be put up. I like knowing that something will be there in the morning when I wake up. How backwards are you to NOT want these things?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Gaff
@ShaneDev
I was think what with the way this site operates that it will probably never be updated on time or be correct except for regular shows like TNT and the HH.
You do know that most stuff updates automatically, right?

At least, that's the impression I got from one of the behind the scene podcasts.
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@Wrighteous86 said:
I'd rather they get rid of "Featured Games' bring back your Followed Blogs (I don't see any of them anymore now) and fix the Friends Stream.  There's almost no point in following people anymore if their blogs and status updates don't show up on my main page. (Not that I follow many people anyway.)
All of this is true.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I love it, I love knowing what I'm gonna get to watch. 
Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#30  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I think they said during the live launch that the redesign was largely for the benefit of the casual viewers who only visit the site every so often, so they can easily tell what's coming up and what they've missed. Likewise, everything else on the front page is there to help advertise the site and the community, rather than being convenient for the community itself - like the very busy-looking not-a-friend stream and the eeriely static "best of" Community section.

It's not as if embracing the casual market is damaging the games industry as a whole, here. I'm not being facetious (entirely), either: it's good that the front page is more welcoming to newcomers and day-trippers since it'll mean more visitors, more subs and more revenue for the WM duders. 

We regulars can always scuttle off to our profile pages if we're interested in what's going on in our neck of the woods. Or neck of the site. Whatevs.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaneDev
@Gaff: I assumed that the regular stuff like TNT and HH was automatic but I also assumed they would have to enter the times for QL's and other video stuff manually since the time would vary from week to week. Although your probably right and they upload the video to the site, set the clock and then once it hits the correct time it goes live. Its still seems a bit pointless though.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By ReyGitano
@Axxol said:
@Wrighteous86 said:
That's one step too many.
Korrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Korrz

I like it as a feature, the only part about it I don't like is realizing how little content there actually is.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blueaniman93

I love the coming up on giant bomb feature. It annoys me when the spotlight is on an article and the feature is not there anymore. If I had to pick one thing about the redesign that I did not like, it would be that the video player is not permanent.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By duskvamp

I like knowing what quick looks to expect.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Leptok

I love it.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Portis

I love it. 

The only problem I have with the new design is the friends activity on the front page shows everyone instead. I wonder when they'll fix that?

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stackboy

No, I like knowing when things are coming out and a little preview of what to expect next on GB. It was good to know the Trenched QL was coming out soon.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Slaker117

I would like it if it was more accurate. Seems the release time for something gets pushed back as it's getting close fairly often.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By ThePickle

I like it. I don't like how it is currently empty though. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like it when there's stuff in there

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Khadyn

Love the new Coming up addition..gave me some excitement over the long weekend knowing the QL "Trenched" was gonna happen and will be an instant purchase for me after getting quite a few laughs watching it.

batalha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By batalha
@HummingLight said:
Agreed
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wrighteous86
@SlashseveN303 said:
@Axxol said:
@Wrighteous86 said:
That's one step too many.
I actually didn't realize they moved that stuff there. I am now satisfied. I like the "Coming Up" feature, but I don't watch things live or wait for things to show up, so it's mostly useless to me. Nice to see what I can look forward to though.