Is being a completionist wrong in Mass Effect 2? *Spoilers*

hoptap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoptap

I love mass effect 2 I spent 40 hours playing it and skipped work and some classes just so that I could keep playing. That being said, I love being prepared in games and I find myself looking in every nook and cranny to find all the shit that is hidden, and I always feel cheated when I beat a game and I realize that I missed so much of the experience because I didn't look hard enough for something. Now I believe mass effect 2 is a game that's supposed to play out like a cohesive story in which shit happens and when it does there's no looking back, fucking up is built into the story. At least that's the impression that I got from playing it. But for example I fucked up while trying to help Liara, I thought it the observer was the krogan because he is the only one that wan't mentioned in the info logs, and then she just said "ok thanks I'll look into it" and when she did turns out the krogan held no useful information but Liara revealed that she had given shepard to Cerberus, she was the one that found the body blah blah blah which I think is relevant to the story. So I came here for help and browsed the forums to find that it was none of the options given. So I reload and did it right, but she didn't say shit about givng me to Cerberus, but I found out that her assistant was working for the shadow broker. So I guess I still got a reward when I fucked up, which is pretty cool. But I couldn't have left knowing that the mission was done incorrectly because a lifetime of playing games has taught me that doing shit right gives you the biggest reward.  This also happened with the endgame scenario, I gained everyone's loyalty and then lost miranda's by siding with jack in the argument. So I spend HOURS building up my paragon score to get her back so that she wouldn't die at the end. Do you think this breaks the experience, this whole "I've got to do it right" mentality or do you enjoy the game more by knowing that you did it the correct way? 

Personally I wish I could let go and let bad shit happen when I fuck up....that would make the experience a bit more..."real." I guess because i know its a game...that there's the "right way to do things"     

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

I did the same thing with that Liara assignment. I was surprised.

And yeah, the completionist mentality removes some of our immersion in the story. Luckily, that was my only major snag story-wise.

It would be interesting to go through a story-heavy game like this living with my mistakes, but I don't know if I could do it.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Well, sort of. I tried to brute force the last mission so that I could save everyone. I kinda ruined it for myself.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr
@hoptap said:
"  I love mass effect 2 I spent 40 hours playing it and skipped work and some classes just so that I could keep playing. That being said, I love being prepared in games and I find myself looking in every nook and cranny to find all the shit that is hidden, and I always feel cheated when I beat a game and I realize that I missed so much of the experience because I didn't look hard enough for something. Now I believe mass effect 2 is a game that's supposed to play out like a cohesive story in which shit happens and when it does there's no looking back, fucking up is built into the story. At least that's the impression that I got from playing it. But for example I fucked up while trying to help Liara, I thought it the observer was the krogan because he is the only one that wan't mentioned in the info logs, and then she just said "ok thanks I'll look into it" and when she did turns out the krogan held no useful information but Liara revealed that she had given shepard to Cerberus, she was the one that found the body blah blah blah which I think is relevant to the story. So I came here for help and browsed the forums to find that it was none of the options given. So I reload and did it right, but she didn't say shit about givng me to Cerberus, but I found out that her assistant was working for the shadow broker. So I guess I still got a reward when I fucked up, which is pretty cool. But I couldn't have left knowing that the mission was done incorrectly because a lifetime of playing games has taught me that doing shit right gives you the biggest reward.  This also happened with the endgame scenario, I gained everyone's loyalty and then lost miranda's by siding with jack in the argument. So I spend HOURS building up my paragon score to get her back so that she wouldn't die at the end. Do you think this breaks the experience, this whole "I've got to do it right" mentality or do you enjoy the game more by knowing that you did it the correct way?  Personally I wish I could let go and let bad shit happen when I fuck up....that would make the experience a bit more..."real." I guess because i know its a game...that there's the "right way to do things"      "
That paragon/renegade shit with jack and miranda is a fucking joke, it breaks the game for me.

I play exactly the same way you do, i'm a terrible completionist in bioware games. But i think this game is designed to be discovered fully over the course of 2 or 3 playthroughs, as opposed to one all encompasing. They push you all the way through the game towards the last mission, and if you fuck around to much before the last mission, you lose again. It's not even a simple case to get through the last mission with everyone alive.
hoptap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hoptap
@Rowr said:
" @hoptap said:
"  I love mass effect 2 I spent 40 hours playing it and skipped work and some classes just so that I could keep playing. That being said, I love being prepared in games and I find myself looking in every nook and cranny to find all the shit that is hidden, and I always feel cheated when I beat a game and I realize that I missed so much of the experience because I didn't look hard enough for something. Now I believe mass effect 2 is a game that's supposed to play out like a cohesive story in which shit happens and when it does there's no looking back, fucking up is built into the story. At least that's the impression that I got from playing it. But for example I fucked up while trying to help Liara, I thought it the observer was the krogan because he is the only one that wan't mentioned in the info logs, and then she just said "ok thanks I'll look into it" and when she did turns out the krogan held no useful information but Liara revealed that she had given shepard to Cerberus, she was the one that found the body blah blah blah which I think is relevant to the story. So I came here for help and browsed the forums to find that it was none of the options given. So I reload and did it right, but she didn't say shit about givng me to Cerberus, but I found out that her assistant was working for the shadow broker. So I guess I still got a reward when I fucked up, which is pretty cool. But I couldn't have left knowing that the mission was done incorrectly because a lifetime of playing games has taught me that doing shit right gives you the biggest reward.  This also happened with the endgame scenario, I gained everyone's loyalty and then lost miranda's by siding with jack in the argument. So I spend HOURS building up my paragon score to get her back so that she wouldn't die at the end. Do you think this breaks the experience, this whole "I've got to do it right" mentality or do you enjoy the game more by knowing that you did it the correct way?  Personally I wish I could let go and let bad shit happen when I fuck up....that would make the experience a bit more..."real." I guess because i know its a game...that there's the "right way to do things"      "
That paragon/renegade shit with jack and miranda is a fucking joke, it breaks the game for me.  I play exactly the same way you do, i'm a terrible completionist in bioware games. But i think this game is designed to be discovered fully over the course of 2 or 3 playthroughs, as opposed to one all encompasing. They push you all the way through the game towards the last mission, and if you fuck around to much before the last mission, you lose again. It's not even a simple case to get through the last mission with everyone alive. "
I guess it would make sense if the experience would be tailored to be played numerous times and they do kind of present the game that way. But I still feel a bit cheated, I don't know why. The worst part is at the end, I busted my ass getting everyone's loyalty and I believe that I chose the teams correctly, when Mordin Solus died. It never showed me when or how. After beating the last boss I just got this shot of him on the ground and collectors walking by him.  Then after that I didn't see Miranda, Thane, Samara  or Jacob; but I didn't get that little shot of them dead or anything and I know for a fucking fact that Jacob made it cause EDI told me there were no casualties when I sent him back to the normady with the remaining crew.