Is Chrono Trigger just one of them Nostalgia games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I dunno I saw on Games Radar about being one of the best intros ever and everyones going on about the DS version. So I just played a couple of hours of it and.... it is just like everyother Jrpg I've played and I don't see what is so special about it. Sure back then it was really good but now, I've played much better games with better combat and features. Like I don't see what is so good about the intro as I thought Final Fantasy 9's intro is far better and the story seems like that typical Japanese story I've played through hundreds of times.

I just don't get the fuss... just plays esactly like everyother jrpg.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tokyochicken

I don't know, it did some things with the combat that still hasn't been done much for turnbased rpgs, really just the nice transition between battle and movement, it doesnt send you into some random alternate world for combat. But yeah, at this point its vert nostalgia heavy, back then a lot of what it did wasn't very cliche since it was there when things for jrpgs were picking up, with all the finaly fantasies and such coming out. Comparing Chrono Trigger to Rpgs today wont work since so many RPGS have inproved greatly on that. If you're  thinking about in in comparison to more recent jrpgs then yeah, it wont hold up. But it is kind of a nostalgia trip for most people who play it. If you think of it in the mindset that it should stand up to recent jrpgs then, I dont know, it probably wont hold up.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By clarke0

Keep playing it I remember playing it like 2 years ago and it was fucking amazing. I'm sure nostalgia does affect people's view on the game but it really is fantastic.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThomasP

It's a great game. I'm playing it right now... literally.

It's got a great combat system, multiple endings, colorful graphics and a good story with time travel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I wish they updated the music atleast cause who uses Midi anymore? Couldn't they have gotten an orchestra to record it?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

I played it long after it came out and it blew me away. It was an all round amazing experience whether it was the story, music or gameplay.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Chrono Trigger hits the nostaligia button for me because of two things. Back then it was one of the few rpg games where the fighting was immediate, no loading a new screen to go into battle mode, it just made the whole experience integrated (Most JRPGS still load a new screen to go into battle mode). Second, for a game that was on the SNES, the ability to cram in branching storylines and alternate endings (Not even sure if there is one cannon ending) was unqiue as well.

However like all old games, eventually everybody else takes elements of what worked and eventually what made Chrono trigger special is not so anymore. You have to remember the original Chrono trigger was made on the SNES, the DS remake while they could have done a much revamped version ala FF4 was still along the lines of the orignal SNES version.

Its something that you would appreciate more if you were into jrpgs to begin with.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_
PapaLazarou said:
"Also I wish they updated the music atleast cause who uses Midi anymore? Couldn't they have gotten an orchestra to record it?"
MIDI has its own charms. Orchestral can be nice, but sometimes old-school is the best school.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By KingBroly

No, it's a very, very good game.  They pretty much thought of everything when it comes to that game (even leveling up all characters even though they don't battle, which doesn't artificially increase the game's length).

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ktseymour
ThomasP said:
"It's a great game. I'm playing it right now... literally.

It's got a great combat system, multiple endings, colorful graphics and a good story with time travel."
Then how the hell did you type this ya freak. It's a good game, but yes, it's a nostalgia thing mostly.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercator
PapaLazarou said:
"Also I wish they updated the music atleast cause who uses Midi anymore? Couldn't they have gotten an orchestra to record it?"
I own that soundtrack in its full MIDI glory, and listen to it in my car.

Anyway it is one of those games that lives up to the hype, IMO its the best JRPG of all time, and if Japanese developers continue the path they are currently going I cant see anything surpassing it.

But I am weird...I seriously could live with only 4 JRPGs, Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, and Chrono Trigger. Everything else is redundant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercator said:
"PapaLazarou said:
I own that soundtrack in its full MIDI glory, and listen to it in my car.

Anyway it is one of those games that lives up to the hype, IMO its the best JRPG of all time, and if Japanese developers continue the path they are currently going I cant see anything surpassing it.

But I am weird...I seriously could live with only 4 JRPGs, Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, and Chrono Trigger. Everything else is redundant."

See for me theres only one Jrpg for me and thats FF7 because I played that up until the scene where you get in a tub with lots of guys and they say gay things and I just thought, okkkkkk...... Uninstalling this dumb game. I believe that was like 4 hours into it or something like that which is the furthest I've ever gotten unless you count Pokemon Red and Blue which I both completed and then completed Yellow too and I didn't even like Pokemon but them games.

The problem I have with the Jrpg is they have some dumb emo style where everyone looks gay and the stories are so full of cheese and just really horrible. It really makes you thankful for how great the rest of the world is at telling a story. Also the voice acting is always really horrible when they have any and the translation is always bad. I hate how pervy the Japs are too because in every game it always has some weird perve moment and the women always have oversized breasts and it just isn't needed.

I just think Western RPG's are much better and Hope they all start to use proper real time combat instead of that turned based crap.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercator

Well its clear you dont like the genre.

Turn based combat is really fun IMO, especially during boss encounters.

Other than Persona(maybe) I dont think there has been a great JRPG since FInal Fantasy 6

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes its nothing but a nostalgia game it doesn't stack well againest todays games but thats a given and the DS version was simply and for all intents and purposes a cash in game square enix is good at those now they are the EA of rpgs release pittling upgrades.

The DS version has absolutely no real difference over the snes original and ps1 version except a new side quest, a new offshoot dungeon, new monsters and a new boss,  other then that a few translation changes on items and thats it.

They could have easily taken 2 years and redid the game like they should have *updated the flawed translation of which the orginal snes version only had a 30 day translation window* redid some of the inane story, close up some of the loose ends, connected it better with chrono cross, gave magus a better deeper part in the game including double techs and triple techs *beyond the techs he gets via stones with just a few party members* use the unused random overworld sprites and battle sprites that were found in the snes original and ps1 port. 

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercator
WilliamRLBaker said:
"yes its nothing but a nostalgia game it doesn't stack well againest todays games but thats a given and the DS version was simply and for all intents and purposes a cash in game square enix is good at those now they are the EA of rpgs release pittling upgrades.

The DS version has absolutely no real difference over the snes original and ps1 version except a new side quest, a new offshoot dungeon, new monsters and a new boss,  other then that a few translation changes on items and thats it.

They could have easily taken 2 years and redid the game like they should have *updated the flawed translation of which the orginal snes version only had a 30 day translation window* redid some of the inane story, close up some of the loose ends, connected it better with chrono cross, gave magus a better deeper part in the game including double techs and triple techs *beyond the techs he gets via stones with just a few party members* use the unused random overworld sprites and battle sprites that were found in the snes original and ps1 port. "
uhh what?

My favorite game of all time is Super Metroid, and IMO its the only perfect game ever made.

But according to you thats impossible.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By StarFoxA

I don't think it's just nostalgia. I first played the game sometime last year, and fell in love with it.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clarke0
WilliamRLBaker said:
"yes its nothing but a nostalgia game it doesn't stack well againest todays games but thats a given and the DS version was simply and for all intents and purposes a cash in game square enix is good at those now they are the EA of rpgs release pittling upgrades.

They could have easily taken 2 years and redid the game like they should have *updated the flawed translation of which the orginal snes version only had a 30 day translation window* redid some of the inane story, close up some of the loose ends, connected it better with chrono cross, gave magus a better deeper part in the game including double techs and triple techs *beyond the techs he gets via stones with just a few party members* use the unused random overworld sprites and battle sprites that were found in the snes original and ps1 port. "
The thing is that the game was basically made by a perfect team.  A lot of people (myself included) think that  there is no way that a new team of developers could make improvements to the game. The game pretty much had everything it needed and nothing it didn't. I think adding too much excess stuff to the masterpiece that is Chrono Trigger would ruin the experience that the original game offers. I think the game is good enough that it warrants a direct port to another system, just so more people can play it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Mercator said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:

uhh what?

My favorite game of all time is Super Metroid, and IMO its the only perfect game ever made.

But according to you thats impossible."
of course it is because nothing is perfect perfection is an impossiblity, if something was perfect there would be no reason for it to exist for it was all ready perfect and it would exist simply because it does.

P.S: super metroid was great but really in the end it was just a remake of metroid on the nes.

@clarke well then thats your view isn't it and that view is that chrono trigger is perfect though its not *chrono triggers us release was actually an earlier model of the japanese release the japanese release had art at the begining and end of the game and had a running talley of items when you beat the game they actually gave us a version of the game that was an earlier version* as for that I hate akria toriyama his art is bad he has no range, he has a set limit of images he cookie cuts and changes in each show he makes, when i first saw cronos and maguses avatars on the snes i was like when did piccolo and goku get in here?

~the above is opinion

P.S: the subject matter for the remake i outlined is all ready inplace in the form of unused sprites, half made loose ends in the game it self, radical dreamers script and images, and chrono cross so they wouldn't need the original team, Square enix like a few devs seem to believe that making their fans happy doesn't make them money which is why they cease and desisted the 3d chrono trigger remakes cause  they wouldn't make money if they rerererererereleased chrono trigger at a later date cause people would be playing those.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercator

Oh for fucks sake

In my world Super Metroid is perfect, in your hyper philosophical world you can think what you like.

You saying "it doesnt stack well against todays games but thats a given" implies that games are perpetually improving, which is false.