• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fargofallout (279 posts) -

See here: http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/editors/b/gidan_blog/archive/2014/05/30/saying-goodbye-to-game-informer.aspx

He says he's heading west for a new gig, and "If you're a fan of watching my dumb ass on videos, I assure you that there will be a damn near intolerable amount of that happening in the near future. "

I think he'd be a great addition to the team, personally. He's been great on the E3 podcasts, and back when I listened to the GameInformer podcast, he was one of the few I thought was entertaining.

#2 Edited by Itwastuesday (956 posts) -

dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan

#3 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (300 posts) -

His twitter pic says otherwise, or trolling.

#4 Edited by Maajin (1057 posts) -

Almost certainly. He also tweeted he's moving to San Francisco.

This makes me happy. Not "Vinny is not leaving anymore" happy, but happy.

#5 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1144 posts) -

That'd be great, but....probably not. But maybe?

#6 Posted by forteexe21 (343 posts) -

He's moving to expand butt tumblr.

#7 Posted by Wiseblood (641 posts) -

He's clearly trolling:

First piece for the new gig is called "Swinging Locks." I'm giving the animator who gave life to Dixie Kong's ponytail his 27,000 word due.

Next up is "Switching Gear." Were frequent users of AKI Man in WCW/NWO Revenge more prone to developing latex fetishes later in life?

That one is 56,000 words and features seven embedded videos with the same production budget as Avatar 2.

Looking forward to publishing my 14-part series about how Wolfenstein: The New Order taught me to live and love.

#8 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (300 posts) -

Is there a Polygon's office in SF?

#9 Posted by Abendlaender (2780 posts) -

Dan Ryckert? No way. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking perfect.

#10 Posted by MaxOpower (194 posts) -

This makes me soooo happy. Man I'm fucking ecstatic. Should have seen it coming, but him moving west seemed a little to much to hope for. There is literally no one I would rather want to have the job then Dan. I'm so happy right now.

His greatest contribution to the internet, pre Giantbomb of course:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/06/12/take-a-video-tour-of-e3-2013.aspx

#11 Posted by johncallahan (555 posts) -

The Polygon people are all over the place, Ohio, West Virginia, New York. If it was Polygon Dan wouldn't have needed to move.

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

He's sure to have some very important thoughts about the gaming industry.

#13 Posted by JackBurt0n (64 posts) -

I wholeheartedly approve. I've known Dan since college, he's going to be perfect here.

#14 Posted by Abendlaender (2780 posts) -

Dan Ryckert? No way. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking perfect.

This makes me soooo happy. Man I'm fucking ecstatic. Should have seen it coming, but him moving west seemed a little to much to hope for. There is literally no one I would rather want to have the job then Dan. I'm so happy right now.

His greatest contribution to the internet, pre Giantbomb of course:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/06/12/take-a-video-tour-of-e3-2013.aspx

Don't forget his biggest contribution to video game culture and probably mankind:

Having Peter Molyneux review fart apps

#15 Posted by poisonmonkey (329 posts) -

This is fucking brilliant if it turns out to be him, love that guy.

#16 Posted by Christoffer (1786 posts) -

Don't give me false hope.

#17 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -

@snakevsgiantbomb said:

He's clearly trolling:

First piece for the new gig is called "Swinging Locks." I'm giving the animator who gave life to Dixie Kong's ponytail his 27,000 word due.

Next up is "Switching Gear." Were frequent users of AKI Man in WCW/NWO Revenge more prone to developing latex fetishes later in life?

That one is 56,000 words and features seven embedded videos with the same production budget as Avatar 2.

Looking forward to publishing my 14-part series about how Wolfenstein: The New Order taught me to live and love.

He might just be trolling because so many people are asking him his "new gig" and about Giantbomb. But him moving out to San Francisco and getting a new job is a real thing. If so, how many decent games journalism jobs do you suppose are available in San Francisco anyways?

#18 Posted by graboids (210 posts) -

this would be perfect... I couldn't think of a better result than this, which is why I won't believe it until its announced.

#19 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -

Weren't you listening during charity stream and bombcasts? It's clearly John Carmack.

#20 Posted by JMan240 (58 posts) -

@snakevsgiantbomb said:

The Polygon people are all over the place, Ohio, West Virginia, New York. If it was Polygon Dan wouldn't have needed to move.

He would have if they wanted him working with someone, but if he's doing video stuff that would be Griffin McElroy, who lives in Austin. There are a few Polygon people in San Fran, including Phil Kollar, but I don't know why they'd pull Phil into doing a lot of video stuff because he's already Deputy Reviews Editor. Plus, if they were going to have him in an office, I'm pretty sure the office is NY where near Frustick (or however you spell his name).

#21 Posted by Gordy (203 posts) -

OH SHIT Dan Ryckert would be the perfect addition. I was not expecting that possibility.

#22 Edited by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

I am expecting at least double the Power Bombcasts from now on.

#23 Posted by CorruptedEvil (2392 posts) -

@dudeglove: Giant Bomb will make you it's bitch.

If Ryckert joins GB that just means more PowerBombCast

#24 Posted by ripelivejam (3740 posts) -

whats a dan rykart

#25 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

Dude.

DUUUUUDE.

He's perfect for this role.

#26 Edited by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

Only if this means more Dan and his Dad playing games.

#27 Posted by Splodge (1199 posts) -

Heh don't get ahead of yerselves guys. This is in no way confirmed. Jared Rosen seemed almost definite too :)

#28 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (382 posts) -

Oh dear god I hope so. Fuck, man, that would be so goddamn perfect.

#29 Posted by superkebabi (26 posts) -

Could it be a switch to IGN?

#30 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -
#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11802 posts) -

Hm, I know the name, but I can't really remember who he is.

#32 Posted by ripelivejam (3740 posts) -
#33 Edited by Athadam (684 posts) -

@alexandersheen said:

I don't want to poop on this but we have the same reaction in the Hey, we're hiring and stuff! thread.

Yeah but it's a little inefficient since everything is on page 20+

Also, I can't help it but feel like this is somehow an elaborate attempt by the Giantbomb crew to troll everyone.

#34 Posted by JMan240 (58 posts) -
@athadam said:

@alexandersheen said:

I don't want to poop on this but we have the same reaction in the Hey, we're hiring and stuff! thread.

Yeah but it's a little inefficient since everything is on page 20+

Also, I can't help it but feel like this is somehow an elaborate attempt by the Giantbomb crew to troll everyone.

I'd put this all on Dan. I mean, the guy ran through college auditoriums wearing a shark suit and being chased by a Captain Ahab.

#35 Posted by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

I always thought Ryckert would be as good of a fit as possible. But I also thought there was no way in hell he would leave his Game Informer job.

Now that he has, MAN. Please happen!

#36 Edited by MaxOpower (194 posts) -

People saying Polygon because of his twitter picture need to take a step back and look at it again. It's clearly a joke. And it's a fun joke, but it's also a really shitty imitation. It's just a purple image of him with a triangle cut out. For comparison:

#37 Edited by ripelivejam (3740 posts) -

GIANTINFORMER.RU

e: edited

#38 Posted by BatmanBatman (341 posts) -

I think Alex might be teasing us

#39 Posted by JMan240 (58 posts) -
#40 Edited by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

I bet they will officially announce on Unprofessional Friday today.

#41 Posted by fargofallout (279 posts) -

Everyone is trolling everyone here. I love it. I suppose if he were the new hire, they'd announce it on the Bombcast next week? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but this all seems like too big a coincidence.

#42 Posted by JMan240 (58 posts) -

Everyone is trolling everyone here. I love it. I suppose if he were the new hire, they'd announce it on the Bombcast next week? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but this all seems like too big a coincidence.

Don't you know? THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS COINCIDENCES.

#43 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -

Confirmed: Jeff is a troll.

#44 Posted by VierasTalo (728 posts) -

There's always this too:

#45 Posted by SpaceJohnson (17 posts) -

FOLLOW THE MONEYYYYYY!!!!!!

#46 Posted by xite (835 posts) -

I hope so, Dan's awesome.

#47 Edited by iAchilles (64 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan somehow became a member of Mega 64 / only sad thing if Dan is hired will be that Cara Ellison was not.

#48 Posted by MaxOpower (194 posts) -

Reading the Gameinformer reactions is kind of sad, but WHATEVER this is great. And what is with all the "trolling" comments in here, I thought we were past that term years ago.

#49 Posted by BatmanBatman (341 posts) -

@batmanbatman said:

There's always this too:

Yeah. I don't know; This might be happening actually. Either way, they are teasing us and having fun with it.

#50 Edited by ChrisHarris (275 posts) -

It's a conspiracy, man!