Is E3 mostly behind closed doors?

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By migrations

I was talking to someone earlier today about E3. This person said to me "You do know that you only saw about ten percent of E3, most of it is behind closed doors." I've never been to E3 and I was wondering about the validity of this statement.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

E3 is 100% the press conferences.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

From what I know of the show there are a few closed off showings for the press here and there, but the idea that E3 is actually ten times larger than we think it is, and the press just don't talk about the other 90% is ridiculous. The show is almost 100% the stuff on the floor and the press conferences.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

I would hope so. Don't want to let a draft in, or else you'll have papers flying all over the place. Pure chaos.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By migrations

Thanks guys!

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAGZine

@migrations: That might be a more accurate statement for GDC than E3.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten
@Gamer_152 said:

From what I know of the show there are a few closed off showings for the press here and there, but the idea that E3 is actually ten times larger than we think it is, and the press just don't talk about the other 90% is ridiculous. The show is almost 100% the stuff on the floor and the press conferences.

True, Gamescom is way bigger and actually open to the public except for the first day where it's press only which is nice because you get to talk to the developers and you don't have to yell at them. 
I've run into a few bombers there too which was fun, obviously not on press day but if I did run in to anyone there I wouldn't talk to them because more important stuff is going on anyway. 
Hope to run into some again this year! anyone ! hello? 
crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By crimsinf

I don't know if I believe the 10% figure, but there is much more going on there than we see or would even want to see. A number of Bombcast guests have talked over the years about the "secret" E3, which includes presentations and demos for retailers and investors, among other things.

We eventually see or hear about pretty much everything that the press are shown. After all, the primary reason for showing games off to the press is for them to produce preview content for us, the consumers.

I'd wager that the stuff we don't see is more about the business side of the industry as opposed the games themselves. That stuff wouldn't be open to the press either. Deals get made and it's all very dry.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By jeff

@migrations said:

I was talking to someone earlier today about E3. This person said to me "You do know that you only saw about ten percent of E3, most of it is behind closed doors." I've never been to E3 and I was wondering about the validity of this statement.

No, that's not really true. Most of our appointments are in those meeting rooms and other "behind closed doors" areas. So, if anything, we're typically showing you most of that stuff while ignoring much of the more open, noisy, and busy show floor.