Is Fallout 3 worth getting or Dragon age Origins?

• 67 results
Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked Dragon Age, but loved Fallout 3. Both great games though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

And Fallout 3 is on sale now on Steam :P

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, but personally I'd go with Dragon Age.

Seeing as how the original Fallout is on my shortlist for G.O.A.T., I loved how much tlc Bethesda put into updating it. That said, I think in some places they got a little too slavish in their devotion and not everything survived the update that well. For example, I didn't think the VATS system translated at all well. It worked wonders in turn based combat of the original, but it became a slog to pause the game all the time in the modern one.

I also thought the game setting got kind of boring and generic after a while. The entire game is pretty much mud brown and gets kind of awful to look at. Then again, you can level the same criticism at Dragon Age.

Like I said, both are good games so you're probably fine whichever one you pick.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I bought fallout 3 about 2 years ago. I just couldn't get into it for some reason so i sold it. I have never played a dragon age before but plan on getting Inquistion.

Should I buy fallout 3 again or Dragon age Origins? Which one is more fun?

Well it sounds like you didn't like Fallout 3 already, so why not try Origins?

besides if you don't like Origins, you might decide to pass on DA:I which could save you some money

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fallout 3 is the better game, but now is the time to play Origins if you intend to get Inquisition.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By hermes

It is kind of a tough question, since both games are really different. There is no way to tell if you will like Dragon Age 1 or not based on your experience with Fallout...

Personally, I really liked Fallout 3, but couldn't get into Dragon Age Origins. Simply put, the world didn't click on me.

It would be more relevant to know if you enjoyed some "classic" western RPG. Games like Baldur's Gate, Planetscape, Neverwinter or Icewind Dale, are a lot more similar to Dragon Age Origins than Fallout 3.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: I feel like they could have done much more with the VATS system than they did, but it's still one of the big things that made Fallout 3's combat bearable. The shooting is pretty garbage by itself.

Although I did specifically like the pausing aspect. As someone who plays way more RPGs than shooters, being able to pause the game at any time to get the lay of the land and think about my next action made the whole thing much less stressful. Honestly my biggest hope for Fallout 4 is to see big improvements to VATS.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time. And both of them takes a good while to beat, too.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By pcorb

@believer258: Yeah, but they seem more like purposeful throwbacks to me. Like, there have been some great 2D side scrollers in the past few years, but no sane person would say we're still in the era of 2D side scrollers. I kind of see DA:O as the final chapter for the "true" CRPG era. That's just how I feel though, and I'm probably influenced by how heavily I associate the genre with Bioware.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@pcorb said:

@believer258: Yeah, but they seem more like purposeful throwbacks to me. Like, there have been some great 2D side scrollers in the past few years, but no sane person would say we're still in the era of 2D side scrollers. I kind of see DA:O as the final chapter for the "true" CRPG era. That's just how I feel though, and I'm probably influenced by how heavily I associate the genre with Bioware.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming out too and will most likely be fantastic.

And Divinity and Wasteland 2 just came out as well. It's the age of space sims and great roleplaying games again and I love it. Incredibly excited for Torment especially.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely Fallout 3. Probably one of the better games I have ever played!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I think part of the reason for my reaction is the transition to first person in Fallout 3. Percent-based dice rolls make sense in an isometric turn based RPG, so VATS fit in well in the original, particularly since you had to decide if the extra action point cost was worth aiming your shot. However, in a first-person game like Fallout 3, I feel like my shooting should be determined by what's in my crosshairs, not some stats behind he scenes. I think it was particularly jarring coming from Bethesda, since they made a big deal when Oblivion came out about how weapon skills would determine damage, not your actual chance to hit - so when you hit something, you would actually hit something, so going in I assumed that they'd take the same approach when making Fallout.

Personally, I think it'd have worked better if aiming had worked like other first person shooters, with you hitting what's in your crosshairs, and then having VATS put you into a sort of bullet time where aiming at particular parts of the body becomes easier and each trigger pull takes off some of your meter. The way they designed it, it felt like I had to go into VATS to hit anything, which made clearing rooms of low-level mooks in particular really tedious.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Zeik

@lawgamer: I agree with your general thoughts on dice rolls in shooters. It's what I dislike about old-school shooter RPGs like Deus Ex, or to a lesser extent, Mass Effect 1. I don't really like the idea of stats interfering with my ability to shoot stuff in a real time setting.

But I didn't have a problem with VATS because it was a system layered over the top of the actual shooting mechanics. As clunky as the game's shooting was, it at at least funtioned like a shooter should. You aim the reticule, pull the trigger, and your bullets hit the enemy. There's no dice rolls involved in whether those bullets hit or stats making it harder to aim. VATS is basically just a special skill you can activate to stop time to easily target specifc body parts or several enemies in quick succession. It actually kinda reminds me of Transistor's gameplay mechanic, except not as deep or fundamentally necessary. (You really didn't need it to clear out low level enemies.) The dice rolls were necessary to balance out the added advantages.

There are mods out there that replace VATS with a bullet time like effect, but I'm not a fan. There are countless shooters out there with bullet time like mechanics, but I can't think of any other shooter with a VATS like system. But I'd really like to see them do more with it than just make it an easy way to get headshots.

And really the only reason it seemed so necessary was because of the poorly designed gunplay. In New Vegas it was decent enough you could go through the whole game without using it if you wanted.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering you can pick up either of them for the price of a hot dog, they're definitely worth it. They're both totally worth playing as well.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ungodly

I find it hard to go back to Fallout 3, because of how it plays. New Vegas did a great job making things more fun, by making it easier to kill things out of VATS. So if you want Fallout, then I would recommend New Vegas.

That said Dragon Age, is easy to play, as long as you enjoy that type of game. The stop and go nature could turn you off, and the command style is overwhelming for some.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are good, but Fallout 3 has a robust and active mod community that's done some excellent things with the game. Check out Gopher or Sorcerer Dave on YouTube - both of em have LPs with a modded out Fallout 3, and I'm pretty sure Gopher has 'how-to' vids on how to mod the game if you're not familiar.