#1 Posted by tofer50 (22 posts) -

I've never played a single Final Fantasy games in my life. The most I've experienced from a Final Fantasy game, was the demo for X in my PlayStation 2 Jampack CD. And what do you know? I found a cheap copy at a local game store, and I'm conflicted whether or not to buy this game.

I've heard a lot of praise towards this game, and some consider it one of the best games in the series. Then again it gets a lot of hatred too. SpoonyOne ripped this game to shreds (I honestly never saw the entire review but I know he loathes the game) and there are many others who consider it to be one of the worst games in the series. I'm not really sure, I thought the demo was okay but I the infamous laughing scene I saw on youtube kind of turned me away from it a bit.

So I like to asks you all is this game really as bad as most people make it out to be? Is it a really good game that I should definitely buy?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yea, it's a pretty cool game.

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Its not bad its actually really good....its my third favorite FF game.

#4 Edited by Marz (5671 posts) -

just wait for the HD rerelease. unless you don't have a ps3 :O

#5 Posted by tofer50 (22 posts) -

@Marz said:

just wait for the HD remake. unless you don't have a ps3 :O

I don't own a PlayStation 3... yet.

#6 Posted by RobertOrri (1159 posts) -

I would not recommend it as a first FF game.

#7 Posted by AlmostSwedish (631 posts) -

It's pretty bad, but I guess it's worth trying if you can find it cheap.

#8 Posted by tofer50 (22 posts) -

@RobertOrri said:

I would not recommend it as a first FF game.

What would be the first Final Fantasy game you would recommend then?

#9 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -

Yes, yes it is. You should play it.

#10 Posted by believer258 (12203 posts) -

No, play VI instead. Or III, if you're looking at SNES numbering.

I liked VI a lot.

#11 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

#12 Posted by ArcadeHero (74 posts) -

FFX was my first final fantasy game and i enjoyed it very much. Tidus is whiny and annoying, but the other characters are cool and the story is pretty interesting. If you can find a cheap copy you really have nothing to lose.

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

I'd suggest starting with Final Fantasy IV, V or VI. If you don't like sprite-based games 'cause you're anal-retentive or something, VII or X are the way to go.

#14 Posted by Slag (4885 posts) -

FFX was a good game and in it's time a pretty major leap forward. I don';t know what it would be like to play it today having seen where the genre has gone. It might be hard

FWIW FFX-2 was one of the worst in the series, but still ok.

I've played every Final Fantasy game up until FFX-2 the week it came out (then I got old and the mmo FFXi didn't interest me at all), and I would say there are three main new elements to FFX (compared to previous FF titles) that you are either ok with or it really turns you off, which is why it's a love/hate thing for many fans.

1- is the spoken dialogue- previous games were text only and the localization/cultural differences weren't quite as jarring in text. But spoken aloud it can across as really emo and sappy to western audiences. This cause much of the scenes to fall flat and some characters to seem really irritating. I think FFXII did a much better job than FFX at handling this.

2- lack of open world exploration- yes you can later in the game go anywhere in the world, but the world map a series staple is essentially gone. FFX's world is basically a glorified very long and wide tunnel.

3- the blitzball miningame- I like bitzball game ok, but it sure ain't no triple triad.

the rest is pretty great if you like JRPGs. I found the combat system to be one of the more fun ones in the series, although a bit easy.

#15 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

Fuck the haters. YES get it, it's my favorite FF game and one of my fave ps2 games.

#16 Posted by MemphisSlim (71 posts) -

Oh yeah, especially with as cheap as it is now. The core gameplay is great, particularly being able to choose how each character progressed and being able to switch out ANYONE in the middle of battle (even the main character). The "Overdrive" mini-games were brilliant. Honestly, the only downsides are the story mazes and cringe-worthy dialogue here-and-there. Everyone rages against Blitzball, but it's totally optional after the initial introduction.

I do recommend that you look into Kimarhi if you play it, though. He's a lot more interesting than he appears to be in combat; I had to learn that lesson the hard way in a late-game boss fight.

#17 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

The presentation is horribly dated, but I think the game itself is great.

#18 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I played it fairly recently within the last couple of years and I still enjoyed it.

#19 Posted by TobyD81 (1231 posts) -

Yep, good game. One of my favorites in the series

#20 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

The game is alright, but I still think VI is the best starting point as a gateway Final Fantasy.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Welcome, time traveler!

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12123 posts) -

Just do what I did and play X-2 instead, then write a really flippant blog about it. I dunno. Spoony's video playthrough and that video of Tidus laughing are enough to keep me away from FFX for good.

#23 Edited by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Just do what I did and play X-2 instead, then write a really flippant blog about it. I dunno. Spoony's video playthrough and that video of Tidus laughing are enough to keep me away from FFX for good.

I liked X-2 - probably mostly because I loved X and X-2 was an extension with characters I was already vested in...I considered it something like X-DLC.

Anyway, Answer: Absolutely. As far as the FF series:

VII had the best story.

X was the best game...by far.

XII had the best gameplay mechanics and was a lot of fun, probably my favorite after X just on the great gameplay alone.

XIII had the best graphics...and that's all, only graphics...which is not enough to recommend a game on.

Bottom line: don't miss X and XII, skip XIII and only play VII if you can stand to go that retro.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

It's alright. The plot's pretty stupid, the voice acting's pretty bad, but if you like JRPGs it's got fun gameplay.

I don't really know what to think of it since I only really played it in the vacuum of 2001, it might not hold up these days, but I wouldn't exactly know. I know it's the last FF game I actually enjoyed though.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yes. I'm buying the HD remake the moment it's available. Probably my favorite FF game.

#26 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

It's pretty good. Not my favorite, but I plan on buying the HD version. If you think you might have a PS3 at that point, then wait for it because it will most likely have the extra content. Unless you live in Europe. in which case you already have that stuff so you might as well get it now.

Don't take what Spoony says too seriously, he's a douchbag/comedian.

#27 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

Yeah, it's a good game. People like to post the Tidus laughing bit as a reason the game sucks, but it's one scene throughout the whole game. Not my favorite Final Fantasy, I was actually disappointed when I played it. But that's if you're comparing it to past Final Fantasy games. As a game on its own, it's pretty good. FF9 is still the top for me.

#28 Edited by blackichigo (176 posts) -
@MiniPato: I with you. As horrendous as the laughing scene is, its five minutes of a 60+ hour game. I love FFX its my favorite behind FF6. My only real issue with the game, is that you cant skip cutscenes. This fact is only really a problem when you lose a fight to boss and you have to sit and watch the whole thing again. By the way, screw the asshole on top of Mt. Gagazet.
#29 Posted by hwy_61 (943 posts) -

I loved FFX. The CG cutscenes at the time were amazing, and the music is superb. Absolutely you should play it.

#30 Edited by tofer50 (22 posts) -

@Beforet said:

It's pretty good. Not my favorite, but I plan on buying the HD version. If you think you might have a PS3 at that point, then wait for it because it will most likely have the extra content. Unless you live in Europe. in which case you already have that stuff so you might as well get it now.

Don't take what Spoony says too seriously, he's a douchbag/comedian.

SpoonyOne doesn't actually hate Final Fantasy fans. Watch this video to see what I mean.

#31 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

I loved FFX. The CG cutscenes at the time were amazing, and the music is superb. Absolutely you should play it.

The CG was amazing, but I laughed hysterically when the CG cutscene started up just to show a tear going down Tidus' face for 5 seconds.

#32 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Xs presentation horribly dated? Are you crazy? Jesus..you want a horrible presentation, go play ff12. Fucking voices that sound like they're coming from a jug of water, because the compression is soooooooo bad. Then the graphics are absolutely abysmal, compared to ff11 online and ESPECIALLY ff10. There isn't one music track from ff12 I remember, but I remember a handful from X. Its not my favorite in the series, or anywhere near it- but X is a solid entry worth playing. Buy the disc, and play it on a ps2 pc emulator straight off the disc. Trust me....It looks absolutely stunning, that the hd remix version won't matter

#33 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

The last FF I finished, and probably the last I really enjoyed. I say get it if you haven't played it.

#34 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Absolutely. It's one of my favorite games ever.

#35 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Play 9 instead, now that is a great game.

#36 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

It's the only numbered FF I have liked.

#37 Posted by ARTB (32 posts) -

My all time favourite game but it is pretty dated graphics wise, depends on if you can look past that.

#38 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

The consenus is ... there is no consenus. Final Fantasy fans are as rabid as any Nintendo fan... I really like X. To put it in perspective my first was VII, then VIII skipped IX then went to X. I'm not going to say it's "rose tinted glasses" or "bullshit nostolgia" that makes people love the old ones, but at the same time I think the baggage some fans bring with them affects their ability to appreciate the newer games. Not all of them, but some people. The worst are the ones that jumped on with VII (like me) and act like they're 'old school' fans then try and convince you it's the best. It's not. The story is nowhere near as good as people make out ("Oh no, my girlfriend is dead .... better go snowboarding" That actually happens.... the pacing is fucking broken). VII is great, but lets not over-sell it.

TL;DR - Play FF X ... I loved it, I can go back to it and still love it and if you don't like it it won't take long to find out as it gets going pretty quickly... It's modern enough to be accessible, but old enough to be challenging (unlike FF XIII ... six or so hours in and I was done).

#39 Posted by Superfriend (1586 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

Play 9 instead, now that is a great game.

I can fully support this statement. 9 was the best FF for me. It may be childish and colorful but everything just fits together very well. Even the cardgame was a blast and kind of fit the world.

X was a really weird game to me and I could never really get into it. Maybe it was the setting or the characters..they were japanese. Very japanese. ALL THE WAY japanese. Dunno why this was a problem for me in X, since I enjoyed almost every other FF before it. I also remember FFX being too linear for my tastes. So I guess you could check it out now. Or any of the other FF games you´ve missed (and you´ve missed A LOT).

Or you could just wait for an HD remake of FF7. Because they should do it. I mean, we want it. So they should do it. Because the guy said they´d do it.

#40 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

Yes, definitely. If you haven't played Final Fantasy before, it's a good place to start. Just keep in mind it came out in 2001.

#41 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

@tofer50 said:

@Marz said:

kind of too late to buy one now then, I'd say.

#42 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Yeah, you should play any Final Fantasy game. Just keep an open mind to the gameplay mechanics, progression, and definitely the characters. The gameplay is a lot better than the characters/voice acting in that game. It's a great game though, and I think you'll enjoy it if you like JRPGs.

#43 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

X is really quite good. BUT it suffers from VIII syndrome of having every character end up the same in terms of power and ability, thus rendering any tactics (other than summon sacrificing forcing you to use Yuna for every optional boss fight) very samey.

@thechronodarkness said:

Xs presentation horribly dated? Are you crazy? Jesus..you want a horrible presentation, go play ff12. Fucking voices that sound like they're coming from a jug of water, because the compression is soooooooo bad. Then the graphics are absolutely abysmal, compared to ff11 online and ESPECIALLY ff10. There isn't one music track from ff12 I remember, but I remember a handful from X. Its not my favorite in the series, or anywhere near it- but X is a solid entry worth playing. Buy the disc, and play it on a ps2 pc emulator straight off the disc. Trust me....It looks absolutely stunning, that the hd remix version won't matter

The audio in XII is the sole reason that to this day it is the only FF i've not finished.

I wish that game was on 2 disks so it didnt sound like utter shit.

#44 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

VI probely is the best place to start but thats only really if you can stomach that style of old game , Other wise if you really wanna start in the £d ff era, X is a good palce to go from.If you have a DS game there is also the 3d remakes of 3 and 4 in 3d, they're pretty close ot the origanal just in 3d.

#45 Posted by Draugen (699 posts) -

@tofer50 said:

Is it a really good game that I should definitely buy?

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

#46 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I loved it back in the day and its the only FF that I have played through completion, but I don't know if it will stand the test of time, especially with the voice acting. Mind you, it still looks great for a PS2 game, and the combat system is brilliant and much better than ATB IMHO; I prefer to have the battles which are purely turn based and the fact that you can swap characters is a major improvement over it's predecessors.

#47 Posted by tofer50 (22 posts) -

@Jost1 said:

@tofer50 said:

@Marz said:

kind of too late to buy one now then, I'd say.

Eh, I'm still going to buy one.

#48 Posted by XxBarretxX (307 posts) -

It's only my favorite videogame of all time. YES YOU SHOULD GET IT!