• 57 results
#1 Posted by TenTonAlchemist (19 posts) -

With big new FPS titles like Titanfall and Destiny stepping in, and the return of genre stars Wolfenstein,Doom and Quake (those 2 are still in development), do you guys think that CoD is going to be dethroned with most new shooters opting for new and innovative gameplay mechanics and not just following the usual miltary style CoD formula? Is CoD's formula going to help the franchise survive this gen, or is CoD:AW going to level the playing field. Heck, even Battlefield seems to be going down the supposed more innovative route with Hardline. So what do you guys think's in store for this much beloved genre this gen?

#2 Posted by CorruptedEvil (1811 posts) -

The FPS's reign of terror will end, AND THE REIGN OF THE JAPANESE STRATEGY RPG WILL BEGIN. Seriously though people like shooting dudes, that's not going to change.

#3 Posted by OptimalPower (112 posts) -

Boy, I sure hope so. I'm very burnt out on the current standard, so any change to shake things up will be seen as a positive from where I'm standing.

#4 Posted by TenTonAlchemist (19 posts) -

@optimalpower: I agree. CoD has been exactly the same since CoD:MW. Sledgehammer claims to have an awesome campaign and storyline and some changes to the CoD formula. I really want FPSs to change and be more innovative than just be exactly the same every year.

#5 Posted by MannyMAR (413 posts) -

I think you'll see shift back to more sci-fi conventions within the genre. Even CoD is going that route to some degree this year. Plus, with the return of Doom, Unreal Tournament, and similar titles it seems like we're going back to mid-late 90's style of FPS.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

Do I think we're going to see more FPS variety this generation? Possibly. Last gen wasn't quite as stilted as it's sometimes made out to be. Bioshock, Singularity, Timeshift, Resistance 3, Left 4 Dead, and FEAR 2 were all excellent and varied shooters. And there was Borderlands, my opinion of which varies depending on the day but it was unique at least.

Starting this generation off with shooters like Wolfenstein sounds pretty great, but Wolfenstein The New Order is less like a classic shooter and more like a modern shooter that implements some of the things that made classic shooters great. I'm definitely all for more shooters like Wolfenstein The New Order, as it's one of the best modern shooters I can name, but I don't think it's particularly innovative. Just very, very well put-together.

Titanfall wasn't really innovative. Come on. That was CoD with mechs, which was a shitload of fun but hardly innovative. Like Wolfenstein The New Order, it was just very, very well put-together.

Destiny looks pretty great. The Unfinished video did a lot to make me want it. However, expecting that modern shooters try to tackle projects like Destiny all the time is a little much - this game had an unlimited budget and a lot of talent sitting behind it.

So, what I'm saying is, there are some pretty good-looking (as in quality, not just graphics) shooters that have come out and are coming out, but I wouldn't expect a big innovation that changes everything about shooters to come along soon.

As for Doom, we know very little about it at this point. Doom 4, The Doom, or whatever you want to call it could very well wind up being just as boring and rote as any Call of Duty game. A nearly blasphemous statement to make, I know, but the id Software of today isn't the id Software that made Doom 1, 2, and 3.

And where has anything about a new Quake game surfaced?

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (2900 posts) -

All I really want is more single player, story driven fps'. Multiplayer games have to be really special for me to put any time into them, and the most recent one I can think of is TF2. I prefer finely crafted narrative driven experiences to MP.

#8 Posted by Sergiy (21 posts) -

When it comes to the base I can't see anywhere to go from here. We have several types of fps, and the only way forward seems to be in either graphics, physics, or mechanics on top of what we already have.

But then again, I have not played any shooters in the past 2 years, they all seemed too same-ey, so yeah correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 Edited by AdequatelyPrepared (328 posts) -

Half Life 3 will change everything, right guys?

#10 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (197 posts) -

I dunno, people have to get tired of Call of Duty eventually, but they'll go to something else that won't be all that different I'm sure. We'll see I suppose.

#11 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1471 posts) -

I don't think we're going to see a huge paradigm shift within the shooter genre, but I expect the modern military style of shooter to fall out of favor this gen, which it has already begun doing. Even if the design and gameplay doesn't change a whole lot, I'd still be more than happy with the genre's progress if more original settings and stories became the norm instead of the typical "military men from english speaking countries kill some terrorists from the middle east and/or Russia" that many shooters have relied on for way too long.

#12 Posted by Maddman60620 (109 posts) -

If anything this gen always online will be the theme across all game genres, more games will focus on the shared experience bring both friends and strangers into the playground sandbox.... CoD will still be the Madden of shooters, but I'm sure that different types of shooter hybreads will pop up to refresh the genre...

#13 Posted by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

Halo 5 will change everything. nah they all staying the same.

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

As long as they move from the lame shit COD style of gameplay and levels , is fine with me.

#15 Posted by spraynardtatum (2624 posts) -

VR is going to change first person shooters. Pretty much because first person shooters are going to need to adapt to VR.

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3154 posts) -

The only innovation FPS games can get on now would come from leaving shooting gallery corridor design and taking control away from the player dramatic slow-motion hand-extending moments behind. Congrats on the GOTY awards Destiny, well earned.

Shame they were too thick to figure out what was fun about Bad Company 1 and 2 and scrapped the future of that franchise.

#17 Posted by Flacracker (1602 posts) -

I just want one modern FPS that is like Doom. Secret laden and complicated level design, health pickups, etc. Also I want it to have the bunny hopping and strafe jumping of Quake.

#18 Posted by Flacracker (1602 posts) -

@somejerk said:

The only innovation FPS games can get on now would come from leaving shooting gallery corridor design and taking control away from the player dramatic slow-motion hand-extending moments behind.

For FPS to be innovative they need to undo whatever "innovation" caused them to be what they are now.

#19 Posted by SquirrelGOD (493 posts) -

I think we'll see some new, gloriously stupid things start to happen thanks to the more powerful hardware. My dream is that we'll see an incredible old-school fast-paced FPS this generation where you're just dumping thousands of bullets into hundreds of enemies rushing towards you. Sweet, sweet murder.

#20 Posted by Humanity (8858 posts) -

Syndicate tried to change the world of FPS gaming, but the world wasn't ready..

#21 Posted by Relkin (90 posts) -

It won't change much. I imagine it will go farther in the direction its been going down since the first Modern Warfare (for better or worse) or it'll change ever so slightly. How will it change? No idea, but it'll be fun watching it all unfold.

#22 Edited by Zelyre (1129 posts) -

Hopefully with Sony's Morpheus, FOV sliders/settings will be a requirement for games. 60-70 FOV might cut it when you're six feet away from a screen, but two feet away from a monitor and I can't play for more than ten minutes without needing to stop. With a screen inches from your face, without games having an option to go above 90fov, you'll need to attach a bucket in front of your face, too.

I imagine console focused FPS games would see some sort of change in design, both game play and level wise with a higher FOV and high frame rate requirement. You're rendering more on screen, so does the VR mode lose graphical fidelity? Or is VR mode the target, paradigm. Will heavily scripted events change to compensate for the removal of blinders that keep gamers attention focused on a narrow, hallway like view?

Will competitive console shooter players prefer the Morpheus because it'll offer a wider FOV? Will Morpheus users have precision aiming much like a mouse? Or will aim-assist drive them mad as their cursor pulls itself towards targets?

#23 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Probably not too much. Games will still revolve around shooting scores and scores of guys coming at you. What I'd really like to see are smarter enemies. Baddies who aren't ashamed to just drop everything and run. Others who coordinate with each other to pin you down or flush you out. Finally, I'd like to see the return of story in shooters. Precious few take the time these days to tell a story. Most shooters these days are a series of Michael Bay set pieces. They look great but often leave me unsatisfied by the experience. Why do you as a player character have to be this faceless blank? Bioshock Infinite did a good job of creating a character for us to inhabit through the game. Battlefield Bad Company 2 added entertaining characters who followed you through the game. As much as I love Halo, Master Chief spends way too much time alone.

#24 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

Of course it will. The explosion of FPS games as we know them today only came to the forefront 7 years ago. It's easy to think that FPS games have always followed CoD 4's formula, but that's only been happening for less than a decade.

It might not happen in the next year or two, but during this console generation? I believe it will absolutely change.

#25 Posted by TheHT (10924 posts) -

I beat Far Cry 3 recently and am playing through the new Shadow Warrior right now (it's fantastic), and they both feel pretty different from a Call of Duty-style FPS. Combat is more fast-paced and mobile versus the whole "take cover, left trigger, right trigger, advance" thing. Hell, I played Far Cry 3 mostly as a stealth game, at least until I fucked up and started running around startin fires and landing on dudes with my machete.

From what I've heard of the new Wolfenstein, it's also got an emphasis on mobility and tearing shit up (plus some stealth), and Far Cry 4 is right around the corner. We'll see what Doom turns out to be, but there's also a new goddamn Unreal Tournament in the works, so there's at least a few bigger devs out there doing things differently from the military FPS that was everywhere last-gen.

#26 Posted by Whitestripes09 (400 posts) -

I think with the popularity of Titanfall FPS shooters are going to have more vertical movement, it certainly seems like CoD is going that route with the new game this year anyways. Seems also like FPS RPGs are also starting to kick off for real this time so we will probably be seeing a lot of those too in the future.

#27 Posted by ADAMWD (572 posts) -

How about games where a single bullet is as powerful as reality? Instead of gun battles where it's dump as many bullets as possible to kill the dude, I want intense battles to land the perfect shot, where one bullet ends everything. I don't know what this game is.

#28 Posted by s10129107 (1179 posts) -

I think slow cover based shooters were a result of limited ram and other resources. Less things to draw etc... Hopefully the new hardware will allow more enemies and mobility more technically feasible. We might have already seen the start of that.

#29 Posted by jArmAhead (193 posts) -

With big new FPS titles like Titanfall and Destiny stepping in, and the return of genre stars Wolfenstein,Doom and Quake (those 2 are still in development), do you guys think that CoD is going to be dethroned with most new shooters opting for new and innovative gameplay mechanics and not just following the usual miltary style CoD formula? Is CoD's formula going to help the franchise survive this gen, or is CoD:AW going to level the playing field. Heck, even Battlefield seems to be going down the supposed more innovative route with Hardline. So what do you guys think's in store for this much beloved genre this gen?

I just want more mechanically involved games. Make handling a weapon more involved, make hitting enemies harder, pull out the range of engagement, etc. Call of Duty is fun but I'd like to see more realistic or at least more engaging games that are challenging because of the number of factors, not because of the twitch factor alone.

@adamwd said:

How about games where a single bullet is as powerful as reality? Instead of gun battles where it's dump as many bullets as possible to kill the dude, I want intense battles to land the perfect shot, where one bullet ends everything. I don't know what this game is.

In reality, one bullet does not end everything. Even with rounds designed to tumble and inflict intense amounts of damage, enemy combatants in Afghanistan take rounds and continue to return fire. Hell even mines don't kill people right away. The lack of slow deaths in games is one of the things that bums me out. Slow deaths and more of an impact from taking damage (ie courage and accuracy degrading with every bit of damage taken, DoT from every shot, etc etc etc.) would be a nice change of pace from enemies that take 40 rounds from an M240 and then on the last one suddenly go from rambo to a floppy dead thing.

I'd also like to see shooters with more mechanics than just shooting a rifle, and that tell less "heroic" stories and instead put us in the shoes of unusual roles for video game combatants (AF PJs, old Corps Recon, etc).

The thing I love about ArmA is you can have so many experiences no other game really gives you. More variety and freedom would be awesome. And more multiplayer focus would be nice as well. And when it's a single player shooter, I'd want it to really take advantage of the lack of other players. Roles that actually make sense for that (like being stuck behind enemy lines on your own).

But honestly I get most of what I want from ArmA 3 and some addons at this point.

If you're looking for a shooter that sets itself apart from the rest of the pack, send me a message and I can pull you into our ArmA group, show you what a real shooter is like! ;)

#30 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

#31 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

@adamwd said:

The Last of Us multiplayer in Survival mode. Everyone has one life, one headshot will kill you, two or three pistol shots will kill you, any stronger gun will kill you in one hit.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (23951 posts) -

VR is going to change first person shooters. Pretty much because first person shooters are going to need to adapt to VR.

Only once VR becomes a viable gaming medium and not just a fad of tech demos and hardware requirements that severely limit its audience.

#33 Edited by syz (121 posts) -

Can't change until keyboard/mouse returns to being the dominant control option.

Dual analog holds the genre back.

#34 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5266 posts) -

I don't think the mechanic will change that drastically, but the way it's presented and the things we can do within them might change slightly. Hopefully for the better. Something like Vr definitely has the possibility to facilitate that, but that all depends on the success in the devices.

I have a lot of faith in a Vr future, because unlike most of the peripherals in the past several years, this one seems to have still maintained a positive reverence among the people who have experienced it. It's also seemed to have gained a more positive support among developers too. People are actually interested and excited to exploit the tech in software.

Even with that said, it could have all the nice press and software support in the world, but whether or not it succeeds in consumer adoption is completely up in the air. Hopefully we can see the wheels get rolling in the next few years, otherwise the whole premature excitement and buzz among enthusiasts like us as well as the general public might whither away before it's even had a chance to bloom.

#35 Posted by Crembaw (317 posts) -

I'd like a few games to stop putting their cameras in the character's torso, for once.

#36 Posted by spraynardtatum (2624 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Only once VR becomes a viable gaming medium and not just a fad of tech demos and hardware requirements that severely limit its audience.

That's a good point.

Even still, if FPS developers aren't looking at VR right now and seeing they need to adapt to stay the most popular kind of game than they may miss out if it actually does become a thing.

#37 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2578 posts) -

I think there will be a great shift as genres re-track to add different 'feels'.

• FPS games will become more like adventures games.
  • Adventure games will become more like light-weight RPGs
  • RPGs will become more like single player MMOs
  • MMOs will still be worthless time wasters that suck...

Games like Uncharted always seemed a bit too shootery for me to the point where even classic action/adventure games like Tomb Raider become what amount to CoD with climbing. What I see happening next in games like CoD saw what Uncharted was doing with story and movement and they ant in on that as well so now shooters will lean heavy into shooter-action-adventure. Meanwhile, what used to be action adventure ion the PS3 era will become more like RPGs. That is to say RPG elements will creep into action adventure games and to teh extent that Mass Effect was popular that trend of wRPGs becoming more action/story heavy will continue.

With that said, we will also see games like Titanfall and Destiny, which are taking on more MMO like qualities. Let's face it, mock-MMO (M3O) will be a thing this generation as developers try to trap people into games for longer.

#38 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2967 posts) -

yeah, we're about to go deep with robots and sci fi.

#39 Posted by NorthSarge (242 posts) -

If the genre changes it will be gradual - but there will always be a place for first person shooters... it's just too big to fail at this point.

#40 Posted by DavosKnight (2 posts) -

I'd say open world is going to be one of the next big things in fps. As for COD, COD is always going to be the same heavily scripted and linear COD (at least in the single-player) because they keep getting away with it. COD will always make huge revenue, and even the occasional unpopular sequel (like Ghosts) won't change that.

#41 Edited by bennym6 (415 posts) -

I'd be into more Borderlands style FPS's. Also Pokémon Snap 2. YOU SHOOT POKÉMON FRUIT!!

#42 Edited by EthanielRain (778 posts) -

Well, people are going to have a chance to show what they want to buy. How well Destiny, Far Cry, The Division, CoD, Battlefield, etc sell is going to determine the path the genre takes.

Personally I vote on Destiny and The Division. That is to say RPG and open world elements, whether in a realistic setting or not.

#43 Posted by nasp (205 posts) -

honestly i think it will.games like farcry 3 and borderlands were really popular,they also brought something new to the table.since hardware is better on the ps4 and xbox one i think we will see more open world shooters,which imo is my favorite type of fps.i think we will see more fps rpg hybrid games as well,which we are already kinda seeing with destiny coming out.i think we will see more shooters like wolfenstein new order too.

#44 Edited by ninnanuam (266 posts) -

Since neither the PS4 controller or the XB1 controller feels as good as the 360 pad was for shooting I believe this gen will bring about the end of the FPS on consoles and KB/M will reign again on PC*

*while I do believe what I said about the controllers I do not believe for one second it will have any impact on how many goddamned FPS's are made for both consoles.

#45 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Mechanically? Nah not really. A shooter, by its definition is about shooting stuff with some kind of projectile weapon. So at its core it'll always be aim - shoot.

My hope is that we get much more open and freeform style of shooters. Not that CoD style linear block buster movie style thing. Something like FarCry 3, but even more robust.

Also having played alot of titanfall, its not a gamechanger or anything. It's just a standard shooter with really fun movement and robots thrown in.

#46 Posted by mems1224 (180 posts) -

I want to see more tactical elements in shooters. I've been playing The Bureau lately and I love being able to command my troops on the field. I also really love the Brothers in Arms games so I hope that becomes more of a trend next gen.

#47 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1845 posts) -

From what I've seen, it looks like social play is the big push for this next generation. Mechanically speaking, a lot of developers can't find ways to significantly improve on what shooters did last generation, so expanding the reach to try and rope in more players, and hopefully curb used game sales in the process, seems like the next logical step. When you really think about it, how else could you improve upon the mechanics of a shooter at this point? It's a tough position for devs to be in, and it bums me out too, because I'm not particularly interested in the first big wave of social shooters like Destiny or The Division.

#48 Posted by spyder335 (287 posts) -
#49 Edited by development (2097 posts) -

Maybe whatever Cliff Bleszinski is working on right now will be the next big innovator. Though, if it's similar to Gears then it isn't actually a "FPS."

That new CoD is doing some different stuff, but it all seems more iterative than innovative.

Maybe VR will change the FPS game... although I'd have to imagine that won't happen until late-gen, if at all.

#50 Posted by thecatswhiskers (39 posts) -

Starting this generation off with shooters like Wolfenstein sounds pretty great, but Wolfenstein The New Order is less like a classic shooter and more like a modern shooter that implements some of the things that made classic shooters great. I'm definitely all for more shooters like Wolfenstein The New Order, as it's one of the best modern shooters I can name, but I don't think it's particularly innovative. Just very, very well put-together.

I agree. I find it difficult to identify specifically what made it more refreshing and engaging, but I really enjoyed it.