This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by moderatemarvel (6 posts) 4 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Is Gamasutra and GDC Moving Towards the Extreme Left? (40 votes)

Yes 10%
No 58%
I DON'T CARE KEEP YOUR POLITICS OUT OF MY VIDEO GAMES! 33%

Guys I have been noticing a disturbing trend lately in the video games industry. On the main video game industry websites gamasutra and gameindustry.biz, anyone that disagrees with the leftist viewpoint in the comments section is quickly banned, even if they don't violate the terms of service with their comments. If your a moderate or conservative that does not agree with the extreme left opinions that are offered you are banned. I feel like the left realizes that video games can mold public perception, so they are trying to do as much censorship as possible on gamasutra and gameindustry.biz. I feel like they are trying to turn video games into a democrat recruiting ground. I'm a moderate individual and normally don't have much against democrats, but I am pissed they are doing all this censoring.

Therefore, I propose we gamers call them out on their censorship as much as possible, and developers should boycott gamasutra and gameindustry.biz as much as possible until they rectify their censorship issues, and biases towards the extreme left. Even moderate people are being banned and censored and this is simply unacceptable. Lastly, I propose this as the birth of the "Keep your politics out of my video games" movement.

#1 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

"I feel like they are trying to turn video games into a democrat recruiting ground."

... Sure.

#2 Posted by Korwin (2839 posts) -

Sean Hannity made a GB account?

#3 Edited by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -

goddamn fuckin commies in MY god damn video-games,

#4 Posted by dudeglove (7723 posts) -

Giant Bomb: the place for political discourse.

#5 Posted by mbr2 (564 posts) -

Is providing proof too much to ask for?

#6 Edited by moderatemarvel (6 posts) -

I forgot to add this in the first post, because it's not letting me edit. Anyway, I have noticed lately that extreme leftist people that were caught commiting fraud such as Anita Sarkeesian were given awards by GDC http://www.gdconf.com/news/anita_sarkeesian_riot_co-found.html, and being promoted by them as pillars of the industry. She was caught stealing youtube footage from "letsplayers", and she also stole copyrighted artwork for her videos.

She was also caught lying admitting she doesn't even like video games on camera, after she claimed on numerous occasions she loves video games and wants to reform the industry. Here is the video in question which is censored from gamasutra (Gamasutra is never going to let this video be posted in their community):

My theory is people like her really don't care at all about video games, and are just in it for the money to advance their careers in the humanities. She had a successful 150k kickstarter campaign to make feminist videos about video games bashing male gamers https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/245217 , I think she's in it for the money not the culture, since she was caught on camera lying. Afterwards, she made up a bunch of excuses to cover up the lying it was lame.

There is also another person named Jennifer Allaway that is trying to imitate Anita Sarkessian with her gamasutra articles http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JenniferAllaway/20140331/214320/The_Reality_of_Sexism_in_the_Game_Industry.php, anytime anyone disagrees with them on Gamasutra they are banned, you can count on that. All Jennifer has to do is bash male gamers and claim sexism with no proof, and she can advance her career like Anita, regardless of what the facts are. They see Anita making 150k and want some of that cash pie too, and they know no one is allowed to disagree with them on Gamasutra, so they have complete immunity from all criticism on there.

So in conclusion if your a developer DON'T ADVERTISE WITH GAMASUTRA OR GAMEINDUSTRY.BIZ, to teach them a lesson to stop censoring. If your a gamer DEMAND THEY REMOVE POLITICS FROM YOUR GAMES TO THE PUBLISHERS.

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

So um...women are ruining videogames is the real crux here? Got it.

#8 Posted by moderatemarvel (6 posts) -

Nope. I am mad about the censorship, if they were not engaging on censorship, I would not be mad.

#9 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

So who is the real antagonist here: Anita or Gamasutra? Make up your mind!

#10 Edited by Panelhopper (174 posts) -

I really don't see how acknowledging the idea that we should at least try to work towards better representations of different types of people in games could be called "left-wing extremism"

#11 Posted by Jesus_Phish (670 posts) -

This is exactly the reason I like giant bomb, because it normally avoids stuff like this and leaves it for everyone else.

To wit: if everyone else wants to have their say in matters then that's up to them. Their site, their rules.

This sounds as mental as those theories that election day happened the day CoD or Halo got released to keep young voters away from polling stations though.

#12 Edited by moderatemarvel (6 posts) -

The point is Gamasutra and Gameindustrybiz is biased towards one viewpoint only and engaging in censorship. We have video tape evidence of Anita lying, and Gamasutra won't allow the evidence to air on their website. They are both guilty. Developers need to pull their ad dollars and customers need to make demands to publishers. Let them know that censorship is never okay.

#13 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@razielcuts: It is not women. It is about the people who jump on this sexist, racist not political correct train. It ruins the freedom developer should have to bring this medium forward. Today you can not even try something more controversial before getting shot down by this kind of media. See for example rape scenarios in games.

#14 Posted by WesleyWyndam (153 posts) -

I hope this thread lives forever.

#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

Nope. I am mad about the censorship, if they were not engaging on censorship, I would not be mad.

The OP was 'Gamasutra and GDC is biased and too leftist' without providing any examples. Then when you do provide examples its about 'these fake gamer girls, they don't even like games, they're in it for the money and exposure.' Wheres the censorship you're so mad at happening here? Is it because probably the comments getting 'censored' on Gamasutra and GI are the ones calling women out as 'fake gamers' and being abusive? Yeah, that's probably it.

#16 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Extreme GDC Is Towards and ?Gamasutra Left the Moving

#17 Edited by moderatemarvel (6 posts) -

I provided an example already, she was caught on video lying, and they gave her an award at GDC. If you try to post that video on Gamasutra you are going to be banned guaranteed, that is indeed the censorship I am referring too. If these authors spoke up against Gamasutra and demanded there be no censorship, then I would not have a problem with them, and I would actually respect them, but right now they are perfectly fine with the censorship going on, or they are not aware of what is going on.

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

I provided an example already, she was caught on video lying, and they gave her an award at GDC. If you try to post that video on Gamasutra you are going to be banned guaranteed, that is indeed the censorship I am referring too. If these authors spoke up against Gamasutra and demanded there be no censorship, then I would not have a problem with them, and I would actually respect them, but right now they are perfectly fine with the censorship going on, or they are not aware of what is going on.

Ah, the truth. You posted this video on Gamasutra and got banned. Then tried to rally some troops to get super angry with you on other forums under the guise of what you believe to be censorship. It's not censorship, it's called moderation. In a bid to try and make the internet nice and friendly, you're in their house so you have to play by their rules.

#19 Posted by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

We still can't flag topics with polls?

#20 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

aren't the radical left winger politicians into censoring video game violence? And banning albums like Prince's "Darlin'g Nikki"?

#21 Edited by Jesus_Phish (670 posts) -

@moderatemarvel: Posting that video will just bring out another round of "let's all hate/defend Anita Sarkeesian" which is horrible, tired and something that most people on the internet are not capable of discussing. They'll remove it because they don't want their threads/comments section turning into a massive flame war.

#22 Posted by Christoffer (1788 posts) -

The problem about this whole "Anita Sarkeesian was lying about playing video games" is that it's completely besides the point. Does that mean there's no sexism in video games any more? Does that mean all her arguments are automatically countered?

Anita could be a lying, money grabbing sensationalist. I don't care. I would still need to meet her arguments. And posting a video of her lying in a comment session of an article is just petty slandering, I'm sure that's why Gamasutra removes that stuff.

If you don't agree, make a thoughtful and relevant answer to the actual topic (or was the topic of the article her truthfulness against kickstarter backers, I dunno.)

#23 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

This is basically an introduction thread. "Hi, I was banned on the Gamasutra forums, so fuck those guys! Are you guys with me?"

It all makes sense now!

#24 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@christoffer: There are a lot of videos of people on YouTube that counter her arguments in a very reasonable fashion.

#25 Posted by AMyggen (2788 posts) -

@moderatemarvel said:

The OP was 'Gamasutra and GDC is biased and too leftist' without providing any examples. Then when you do provide examples its about 'these fake gamer girls, they don't even like games, they're in it for the money and exposure.' Wheres the censorship you're so mad at happening here? Is it because probably the comments getting 'censored' on Gamasutra and GI are the ones calling women out as 'fake gamers' and being abusive? Yeah, that's probably it.

Exactly.

Also, the Anita Sarkeesian haters seem to not understand that they're the reason for her being as big as she is. She would've never gotten as much money as she did on Kickstarter if it wasn't for the backlash against certain types harassing her on the internet. So it's cool to see you guys just dig a deeper hole every time a thread like this pops up.

#26 Edited by moderatemarvel (6 posts) -

The problem about this whole "Anita Sarkeesian was lying about playing video games" is that it's completely besides the point. Does that mean there's no sexism in video games any more? Does that mean all her arguments are automatically countered?

Anita could be a lying, money grabbing sensationalist. I don't care. I would still need to meet her arguments. And posting a video of her lying in a comment session of an article is just petty slandering, I'm sure that's why Gamasutra removes that stuff.

It's not slandering. If we have evidence that her claims are not true, and we are not allowed to post our evidence it is censorship. WE ARE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO POST EVIDENCE TO COUNTER THEIR ARGUMENT IS MY MAIN COMPLAINT. Gamasutra removes that stuff, because they are politically biased, and it is an embarrassment to the organization that Anita has been exposed. Do they want to be embarrassed and shamed with the truth? No

She would've never gotten as much money as she did on Kickstarter if it wasn't for the backlash against certain types harassing her on the internet. So it's cool to see you guys just dig a deeper hole every time a thread like this pops up.

I do not advocate harassing a person ever. However, if we expose her lying with evidence than people won't support her in the future. If I were an AAA or indie dev knowing what I know now, I would never advertise with Gamasutra or Gameindustry.biz ever again.

DEVELOPERS, GAMERS, AND PUBLISHERS UNITE LET US BAND TOGETHER AND BOYCOTT THEM.

#27 Posted by Christoffer (1788 posts) -

@darji: I'm sure about it. I'm saying that's much better way to do it than to just call her a liar.

#28 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@christoffer: But in the end she did lie. Is it the best response? No not really but it is a true response.

#29 Posted by Chaser324 (6395 posts) -

I see no reason to dredge up this Anita Sarkeesian discussion again.

If you have a problem with the way comments are moderated on another website, take it up with the people that run those websites.