Is Gamefly worth it

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cky4890

I have recently Been thinking of trying out gamefly but I don't know how anyone near me with it and I don't know how long it will take for a game to get to me. I live near palm spring in south California does anyone have had gamefly near me?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

I think it sucks...I live about 45 minutes from one of their shipping centers and the turnaround was painfully slow.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cky4890

Thanks man yeah I think their sorting station's up in la so it might be even worst for me

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eugenesaxe

What is it, 9 bucks a month? Seems like it's a good deal, but I don't use it.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By spiceninja

If you can get your games quick it's a pretty good service if you haven't played a bunch of games that came out in the last couple of years. But it's pretty bad if you are planning on using it to get games that just came out.

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eternalshades

I've been using gamefly for a couple of years now, and I enjoy the service quite a lot. You have to keep some perspective on the entire thing though:

• You're unlikely to get the games the day they come out. It's not like they'll stock up a copy of every new game for every customer, but they are tricks to increasing your chance of getting a game the day it's released.
  • Switching games takes (for me) 3 days to a week. They've gotten much better over the last year or so, it used to be 1 to 2 weeks.
  • You benefit more from the service the quicker you go through the games. If it takes you 3 months to beat a game, it would have been cheaper to buy it.

Basically I use it to play games I don't know if I will like, games that seems really short, games that I don't care enough about to buy, and games I simply want to try for the sake of trying. The games I actually do want to play on release day I simply buy.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@cky4890 said:

I have recently Been thinking of trying out gamefly but I don't know how anyone near me with it and I don't know how long it will take for a game to get to me. I live near palm spring in south California does anyone have had gamefly near me?

Fuck 29 palms. Fuck 29 palms with a big green weenie.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By leafhouse

I use Gamefly to play old titles i need to catch up with. If you want to use it for new games, you can do that too, just requires a little planning. I managed to get Amalur the day it came out.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

I've signed up for it a couple times and it's been fine for me. If you have the 2 games out at a time plan you don't have to worry as much about turnaround, though in my case I don't remember the turnaround being terrible, they would usually get the game 2 or 3 days after I returned it and it takes another couple days to get the one they send. So that's one game a week basically, which was fine for how I play. I live in Mass so nearest shipping center was Pittsburgh I believe.

If you want a recent release you would probably want to leave your queue empty except for the one that you want though, because they will send you something further down your queue even if the game you want says high availability. And that will probably take a while to ship out.

I tend to sign up for cheap whenever they have sign back up deal and it's worth it. Which means about one month a year I'll knock out 3 games for cheap. More if they're not new releases and the availability is good. Last time I played Saints Row the Third, COD Black Ops, and COD MW3 for a dollar. Best dollar I've ever spent.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cky4890

The thing is the whole thing with the shipping I don't know how long it will take me

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@cky4890 said:

The thing is the whole thing with the shipping I don't know how long it will take me

5-9 days...... if you don't understand the about 1 week statements rife throughout this thread already.

How old ARE you? Jesus.

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Tumbler

I think it's worth it if you choose 2 out at a time. There is a ton of waiting when you send a game in before you get the next game back and that never felt like a good deal to me. Drop it in the mail Monday, they receive it on Wednesday. They ship me a new game Thursday, I have it Saturday. That was my typical turn around so losing a whole week didn't feel good.

But with 2 out at a time I can have something to play while I'm waiting.

I only used it for new releases. If you're good about getting your games in before Monday/Tuesday you will almost always get the newest game shipped to you on release. For the price that was pretty nice. I think that meant I had to send something in on friday if I wanted them to have it received by monday so they'd then ship me something on Tuesday.

I liked the service overall but it never felt like a great value. I think I hit a dry spell in new game releases and didn't go back.

Found Goozex to be a perfect fit for me. Can't recommend that site highly enough. Takes a bit to get things rolling but holy cow. I love that site.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By tadros

@cky4890: Do you play a ton of games? Can you not afford said games? If yes, Gamefly is for you.

I switch back and fourth between the 2 and 3 game plans. It's great to play a game and send the other back so you have something to play while you wait.

Tip - if you want a title that is coming out in a few days, clear your que and make sure it is the only game in there. My biggest complaint with Gamefly is how the organization of the que never matters. The game that you want can be at the top of the list and high availably, but they'll send you game number 17 for some reason. (Just happened to me with Catherine and Enslaved)

Oh and the turnaround is usually 3-5 days. Most of the time it's 3 days though. And new titles usually come the day after they are released. I use gamefly for my review site and I usually have a video of each game I rent up by the end of the week.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I was a member for about 3 years and it worked for me. It took me a while to figure out how to get games as soon as they released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamefly is great, just be prepared to sometimes not get a new release if that's what you're interested in. Getting a game to you is probably around 3-4 days, maybe a week. Like others have said, getting the two-game plan does wonders at negating that wait.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGorilla

Gamefly works great if you play the games regularly. I've saved an insane amount of money the last year and a half with Gamefly. I was a member about 4 years ago and just sat on the disks so it was a total waste of money, but once I got serious about keeping up with the service it's been great. Turn around times seem to be between 3 and 4 days which is much worse than Netflix but games are also much more expensive so the trade off seems worth it to me. You won't get the top game on your queue most of the time unless you are constantly curating it down to one game.