• 62 results
#1 Edited by ch3burashka (5247 posts) -

So, is GB completely fucked? Forum activity at the bottom is out, replies are hit or miss (and then multi-post), "notifications" don't update... and that's about it.

So... what up?

PS The error right now says "Your topic title can't have more than 60 characters." It'd be helpful to know how many I have...

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The error right now says "Your topic title can't have more than 60 characters."

It also can't have swears in the title.

#3 Edited by FLStyle (4920 posts) -

Dave's a designer, not a programmer.

#4 Posted by Brendan (8136 posts) -

GB mobile has definitely been spotty lately, but Dave wouldn't have fixed those problems.

ALEXIIIIIIIIIS

#5 Posted by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

Da Site broken boo boo

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

It's always been a bit fucked on the technical side.

#8 Posted by joshwent (2352 posts) -

I don't mind so much when shit's broken, I just wish they'd bother to let us know that they're aware of it. Alexis is working on gamespot so I don't expect a fix soon, which is fine, but it gradually just seems like they don't give a fuck about us. (especially we that actually pay money to support the site).

#9 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5090 posts) -
#11 Posted by chiablo (999 posts) -

There's a reason Brad is leaving the site, and it's because of everything mentioned in this thread.

#12 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

So, is GB completely fucked? Forum activity at the bottom is out, replies are hit or miss (and then multi-post), "notifications" don't update... and that's about it.

So... what up?

PS The error right now says "Your topic title can't have more than 60 characters." It'd be helpful to know how many I have...

Worst part is being a developer and knowing how to solve all of those problems. Seems like CBSi is understaffed but they do not have the funds to hire extra personnel.

#13 Posted by Veektarius (5019 posts) -

It's been broken longer than I'm willing to readily forgive, tbh.

#14 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5991 posts) -

I'll add to these problems that I haven't been able to play any podcasts/interviews on the site directly.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

The broken bits are just part of the Giant Bomb down-home charm!

#16 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

Complain/send puppy pictures to @rorie maybe your issue will be fixed

#17 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

They're getting used to the new office.

#18 Edited by CornBREDX (5995 posts) -

I'm sure Alexis appreciates your complaining.

Also, Dave's not here.

#19 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

It's been 7 months since the new design and it still works like shit regularly. It's all a bunch of small problems but they stack up and make everything a pain to use at times. And now i think they're redoing Gamespot? I assume this will be the same engineering team so i guess we shouldn't hope for much improvements over here for a while.

At least the video player appears more functional now.

#20 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

It adds character to the site. Man up, chump.

#21 Posted by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

@bocam said:

#22 Edited by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

Should I still send Dave one line emails that say "site's busted, Dave"???

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I'll admit, the sites been running like shit lately. Especially the forums.

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

Dave didn't fix errors on the site he designed the site and helped run the community/the programming team. The issues would still exist if Dave were still with the site.

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5753 posts) -

Straight from one of our engineers @mrpibb:

sorry guys, looking into this. we rolled out a new beanstalk server yesterday and are trying to figure out why nothing is talking to it.

#26 Edited by Aetheldod (3723 posts) -
#27 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1043 posts) -

Vinny is on vacation -> site starts to fall apart. You do the math.

#28 Posted by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

The site runs off of Vinny?

#29 Edited by FourWude (2245 posts) -

Straight from one of our engineers @mrpibb:

sorry guys, looking into this. we rolled out a new beanstalk server yesterday and are trying to figure out why nothing is talking to it.

Need to give the site time to adjust to its new backend server.

#30 Posted by Aegon (5831 posts) -

lol

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

I hate complaining but yeah website takes forever to post and frequently returns errors an the mobile site had never been reliable since the redesign. I still love you guys and all the work you're doing!!

#32 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I don't know about Dave but it definitely has been a little messy around here.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#34 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

I hate complaining but yeah website takes forever to post and frequently returns errors an the mobile site had never been reliable since the redesign. I still love you guys and all the work you're doing!!

Pretty much everything I do on this site throws an error. I mean, most of the time it works with a refresh, but I get errors every time.

#35 Posted by SomberOwl (726 posts) -

I'm sure when they launch the new GameSpot, they'll be able to work out all the bug/quirks. I'm actually really excited for the new GameSpot, I always thought the GUI of that site sucked.

#36 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

@extomar said:
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

All rivers eventually lead to the Vinny.

#37 Posted by mrpibb (467 posts) -

Apologies guys, we were actually pushing out new code and servers to get some of the issues fixed. We're seeing increased traffic from users (yay!) and also from bots (boo!). This is causing some places that were brittle before to fall over so it's actually on the top of our list.

As some of you know, last Thursday, we took GB and CV down for half an hour to update our redis cluster (beefier machines, replication). Yesterday, we updated our beanstalk servers to make sure they wouldn't time out with forum messages (the duplicate message bug that was around before). Unfortunately, php being php (or maybe us not being careful) it didn't take the new server's ip and decided to keep talking to the old beanstalk server. Finally fixed this morning, but not before a lot of head banging and teeth gnashing.

Gamespot is taking almost all of our resources at the minute, but we're almost there (beta planned end of this week). During this time (and even this week), we're rotating back onto GB and CV to start providing fixes. There's about a 20,000 line merge that's coming in the next couple of weeks that should ease things (for example, activities and notifications are moving to their own riak cluster which clusters better then our current setup, a new video player with better seeking and not as crash-prone, etc) and provide better stability across the board.... that and we'll chain Vinny to his seat from now on.

PM me if you have any further questions and thanks again for your patience.

#38 Posted by Veektarius (5019 posts) -

@fourwude: Yesterday? Is something broken today that wasn't before?

#39 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

Sorry about the errors today, everyone. Hopefully they're worked out now, but never hesitate to tweet at me or @reply me on the site to notify me or mrpibb about this stuff. (Twitter's probably better in the evenings.)

Staff
#40 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

/sarcasm Come on guys. They are still getting used to the new office. Give them a chance to settle in and it will all be fine. /endsarcasm

#42 Edited by OurSin_360 (947 posts) -

Everybody's probably out working on the gamespot site's reboot, haven't double posted today though so maybe it's fixed?

#43 Posted by bigJaffa (57 posts) -

"Get Dave back" petition?

#44 Posted by mrpibb (467 posts) -

@oursin_360: holding my breath! that was part of the fix last night which went a bit wonky.

#46 Posted by ch3burashka (5247 posts) -

@flstyle said:

I thought Dave was integral to the website construction process; that was my impression from his appearances.

#47 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@bocam said:

If he's on the fence, the puppy pictures are a make or break.

#48 Edited by Korwin (3029 posts) -
#49 Posted by FLStyle (4920 posts) -

@flstyle said:

I thought Dave was integral to the website construction process; that was my impression from his appearances.

As a designer yeah, but his list of skills doesn't include fixing site bugs, that was the Top Men's job.

#50 Posted by ModernAlkemie (366 posts) -

@korwin said:

@video_game_king said:

@extomar said:
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Duh!

100% natural Vinny powered.

That's what you get with VinnCo's trade-marked Kinetic Butt Energy Systems.