Is Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars Hardcore?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

There is another member of the GB community that is claiming Chinatown Wars is not a harcore game since it does not sport the same graphical capabilities and shooting mechanics as GTA IV. Of course, he also thought the game was for the wii, so he knows very little about it. After reading all 3 IGN reviews, I am under the belief that this game should be labeled hardcore, but I want to know what you think.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb
AgentJ said:
"There is another member of the GB community that is claiming Chinatown Wars is not a harcore game since it does not sport the same graphical capabilities and shooting mechanics as GTA IV. Of course, he also thought the game was for the wii, so he knows very little about it. After reading all 3 IGN reviews, I am under the belief that this game should be labeled hardcore, but I want to know what you think."

/sigh

No, that was not my argument. How about I copy/paste our PM discussion, so as to make sure you don't skew things completely?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

I just found a chainsaw and am cutting Koreans in half with it then i took a bulldozer and crushed them just to be sure they were dead, apparently they were.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

AgentJ: You should probably read one of IGNs reviews before questioning it's hard-coreity. From the sound of it, it's essentially GTA IVs and GTA IIs love child.

Me: I wasn't questioning it's quality. I just don't think that a top down shooter (for the Wii; no less) can be considered a "hardcore game" app, in this day and age

AgentJ: Actually Chinatown Wars isn't for the wii. It's for the DS. And it retains everything except for the high res graphics, camera perspective, and Alderny, from Grand Theft Auto 4, and adds a number of new elements.

Me: Alright, same difference. I don't think a top down shooter for any platform, this day and age, can be considered hardcore. Also, saying that "it reatains everything except for the high res graphics, camera perspective, and Alderny," is an inadvertant act of conceding your argument. You're also missing GTA IV's AI, combat system, driving mechanics, and a great portion of the depth. The game has been gutted down, to a great degree, so it may function on the DS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game sucks. I'm just saying that Chinatown Wars cannot accurately be called a "hardcore game."

Agent J: Like I said, you should read the review. they kept the driving mechanics and even added depth, bringing back all the old vigilante missions. Before saying it has been gutted, you should probably read enough about it to know whether its on a handheld or a console. If you are prepared to say Chinatown Wars isn't a hardcore game (without knowing anything about it apparantly) then no handheld game can be called hardcore. This is Grand Theft Auto through and through.

Me: Yes. I don't think handheld games can be called hardcore, either. There are, of course, a few exceptions to this; however, this is only in reference to games such as Phantom Hourglass.

The term "hardcore" is a phrase used far too often, and is only applicable when the game takes up a large portion of your time, has incredible depth, and/or can be played at a legitimate level of competition.

AgentJ: All of those points that you supplied could apply to a number of video games that i own, including any of the Castlevania games, TWEWY, either of the FF remakes, Jump Ultimate Stars, or Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword.  It most definately applies to GTA Chinatown. The reviews called for between 15 and 30 hours on the main storyline alone. And like i said, it brought back vigilante missions, so it may have even more depth than GTA IV. Just because it doesn't have the same graphical capabilities as the 360 should not be a legitimate reason for this game not to be considered hardcore. 

Me: I don't think you read a single word I just said, if you conclude your following PM with "just because it doesn't have the same graphical capabilities as the 360 should not be a legitimate reason for this game not to be considered hardcore."

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
BiggerBomb said:
"AgentJ said:
"There is another member of the GB community that is claiming Chinatown Wars is not a harcore game since it does not sport the same graphical capabilities and shooting mechanics as GTA IV. Of course, he also thought the game was for the wii, so he knows very little about it. After reading all 3 IGN reviews, I am under the belief that this game should be labeled hardcore, but I want to know what you think."
/sighNo, that was not my argument. How about I copy/paste our PM discussion, so as to make sure you don't skew things completely?"
If you would like me to change how i presented your arguement, i'll be glad to edit my original post. How would you like me to present it? Or you could just put down what your arguement was in a new post.
Endogene said:
"I just found a chainsaw and am cutting Koreans in half with it then i took a bulldozer and crushed them just to be sure they were dead, apparently they were. "
Ah man, that actually sounds kind of fun, though i don't have any intention of picking this game up for quite some time (there are too many other games to get).
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
AgentJ said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"AgentJ said:
/sighNo, that was not my argument. How about I copy/paste our PM discussion, so as to make sure you don't skew things completely?"
If you would like me to change how i presented your arguement, i'll be glad to edit my original post. How would you like me to present it? Or you could just put down what your arguement was in a new post.
Endogene said:
"I just found a chainsaw and am cutting Koreans in half with it then i took a bulldozer and crushed them just to be sure they were dead, apparently they were. "
Ah man, that actually sounds kind of fun, though i don't have any intention of picking this game up for quite some time (there are too many other games to get).
"

Or I just decided to show the actual "argument," verbatim.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

It's not hardcore because it is:

1. On a handheld.
  2. Which is also a Nintendo console.
That doesn't mean it isn't a great game. It just does not fit in the definition of hardcore.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
AgentJ said:
"
Not when you are Korean.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By iamjohn

In all honesty, this is a stupid fucking thread.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
BiggerBomb said:
"AgentJ said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"AgentJ said:
Endogene said:
"
Or I just decided to show the actual "argument," verbatim."
Fair enough.
Snail said:
"It's not hardcore because it is:
  1. On a handheld.
That doesn't mean it isn't a great game. It just does not fit in the definition of hardcore."
So in other words, none of the Castlevania games, TWEWY, Dementium: The Ward, Resident Evil DS, Chrono Trigger, either of the Final Fantasy remakes, Jump Ultimate Stars, none of these are hardcore SIMPLY BECAUSE they are on the DS? Can't say i agree with that assessment.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By jakob187

Um...the original GTA and GTA 2 were top-down games.  Are THOSE not hardcore?

Snail said:
  1. On a handheld.
That doesn't mean it isn't a great game. It just does not fit in the definition of hardcore."
So all those 2D Castlevania cames are casual then?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

I'd consider game series like Halo, Madden, and GTA to be 'core'.  'Core' being moderate gamers.  People who play a lot of games but aren't as much into games as someone who is hardcore.  DS on the other hand is mostly a casual system, even though it has a wide range of games that also appeal to core or hardcore gamers.

If you think GTA Chinatown Wars might be cool because you loved GTA 1 and 2 on PC or PS1, that's reasonably hardcore.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
Endogene said:
"AgentJ said:
"
Not when you are Korean. "
I'm not sure whether to lol or beg for forgiveness.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snail
AgentJ said:
"Snail said:
  1. On a handheld.
So in other words, none of the Castlevania games, TWEWY, Dementium: The Ward, Resident Evil DS, Chrono Trigger, either of the Final Fantasy remakes, Jump Ultimate Stars, none of these are hardcore SIMPLY BECAUSE they are on the DS? Can't say i agree with that assessment."
The world won't see them at hardcore games.

In these days being hardcore also means: HAVING FUCKING AWESOME GRAPHICS (preferably gory).
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jayge_

So... they would be hardcore games if they were on standard consoles though, right?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail
Jayge said:
"So... they would be hardcore games if they were on standard consoles though, right?"
Hell yeah.
At least that's how the world sees it. There is just no room for handhelds in the world of hardcore.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
Snail said:
"AgentJ said:
"Snail said:
  1. On a handheld.
So in other words, none of the Castlevania games, TWEWY, Dementium: The Ward, Resident Evil DS, Chrono Trigger, either of the Final Fantasy remakes, Jump Ultimate Stars, none of these are hardcore SIMPLY BECAUSE they are on the DS? Can't say i agree with that assessment."
The world won't see them at hardcore games.In these days being hardcore also means: HAVING FUCKING AWESOME GRAPHICS (preferably gory)."
Lol, good point. I totally forgot that the games i listed aren't photo-realistic, so they can't possibly hardcore. What was i thinking?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"So... they would be hardcore games if they were on standard consoles though, right?"
Hell yeah.At least that's how the world sees it. There is just no room for handhelds in the world of hardcore."
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:
"Snail said:
"Jayge said:
Hell yeah.At least that's how the world sees it. There is just no room for handhelds in the world of hardcore."
"

He's being sarcastic with the "There is just no room for handhelds in the world of hardcore."
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
Jayge said:
"Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"
I think he's making a point of how some people seem to think that handheld games can't be hardcore. So he's being sarcastic. I think.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail
Jayge said:
"Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"
I'm not Jayge.
How could that be sarcasm?

wait..
are you being sarcastic?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"
I'm not Jayge.
How could that be sarcasm?

wait..
are you being sarcastic?"
I'm always sarcastic.

Was *that* sarcastic?

Wire $45.93 to my Caymin Islands account and I'll let you know.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail
Jayge said:
"I'm always sarcastic.

Was *that* sarcastic?

Wire $45.93 to my Caymin Islands account and I'll let you know."
You know I would do anything for you, consider it done.

Was that sarcasm?
*dun dun* <-- dramatic soundtrack.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By weltal

"Hardcore?" Yeah. It's also extreme.

Boy, I sure love meaningless buzz words.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail
Weltal said:
""Hardcore?" Yeah. It's also extreme."
Now, see? *That's* sarcasm.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't consider most console games to be hardcore, to be honest. :P

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hausdog

I don't like the distinction between hardcore and non-hardcore video games. It seems like the definition of "hardcore" is pretty much anything that stupid frat boys go "BOOYA THIS SHIT IS AWESOME MANG" while not including gems that everyone but the truly hardcore gamer will miss. How is a game with gigantic media saturation "hardcore?" Maybe if it's hardcore as in explicit, sure. GTA is relatively hardcore by that definition, as are most FPSs. But people would laugh straight into your face if you called Pop'n music "hardcore," simply because it's a faggoty colorful game that only hardcore (there's that word again) Bemani nerds have played. I'd argue that Pop'n Music is more hardcore than GTA because everyone and their grandma plays one, but only people serious about video games play the other.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
iAmJohn said:
"In all honesty, this is a stupid fucking thread."

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By ThomasP
iAmJohn said:
"In all honesty, this is a stupid fucking thread."
A thread full of fail. I can't believe people argue over what games are "hardcore." The entire argument is based on opinion.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
Hausdog said:
"I don't like the distinction between hardcore and non-hardcore video games. It seems like the definition of "hardcore" is pretty much anything that stupid frat boys go "BOOYA THIS SHIT IS AWESOME MANG" while not including gems that everyone but the truly hardcore gamer will miss. How is a game with gigantic media saturation "hardcore?" Maybe if it's hardcore as in explicit, sure. GTA is relatively hardcore by that definition, as are most FPSs. But people would laugh straight into your face if you called Pop'n music "hardcore," simply because it's a faggoty colorful game that only hardcore (there's that word again) Bemani nerds have played. I'd argue that Pop'n Music is more hardcore than GTA because everyone and their grandma plays one, but only people serious about video games play the other."
you're right, and to be honest, i don't like the term hardcore either. This is all in response to this thread, where someone scoffed at GTACW as hardcore and I simply debated it. The idea we met in the middle at is that "hardcore" is an arbitrary label that doesn't have any worthwhile definition. Instead, I would call GTA CW a "true gamers game" on a "true gamers platform".
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Babble
Internet Drama - The Wave of the Future

Why does it matter if it is or is not classified as hardcore? In the end it appears to be a very well done game that I expect many people will enjoy. This whole hardcore vs. casual argument is almost as dumb as fanboyism.