• 94 results
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mocobrian

Greg Kasavin says that Halo CE lives up to the high standards of PC shooters.

Is he right or wrong?

If he is right or wrong, do you think he makes valid reasons to his claim?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, considering the fact that there's really not a worthwhile FPS aside from stalker on pcs only, I'd have to say yes.
In fact, I find saying that pc shooters have higher standards to be lol worthy--> back to the whole point about there just about being no worthwhile exclusive PC FPS

You know, if halo was released as a pc series and not an xbox one, people would be hugging it saying how it defines the higher standards found on pcs.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" You know, considering the fact that there's really not a worthwhile FPS aside from the witcher on pcs only, I'd have to say yes.In fact, I find saying that pc shooters have higher standards to be lol worthy--> back to the whole point about there just about being no worthwhile exclusive PC FPS "
...The Witcher is an FPS?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PureRok
@Kombat said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" You know, considering the fact that there's really not a worthwhile FPS aside from the witcher on pcs only, I'd have to say yes.In fact, I find saying that pc shooters have higher standards to be lol worthy--> back to the whole point about there just about being no worthwhile exclusive PC FPS "
...The Witcher is an FPS? "
Obviously. Remember when Geralt shot up all those elves robbing that bank?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Let's see.  User who registered today.  First post is about if Halo is good or not.  Less than a month ago there was a guy getting banned over and over for the same thing...

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lyphen

Yes. It had the Halo 1 pistol. And, it brought pretty meaningful melee attacks and grenades to the forefront, which PC shooters hadn't really focused on yet, with melee being extra lame (admit it, the Impact Hammerwas a taunt kill). And, like Kasavin said, Halo 1 just had really fun enemies. It was like beating on buffed up Half-Life army guys  throughout the entire game. Plus, a 

But, I will stress, the PC version was not perfect. In fact, it was pretty roughed up. Back then, 56K was still "supported", and the netcode was based around it. So, it wasn't really precise, which kind of ruined multiplayer. And the editing tools never came out for the main game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Lyphen said:
"

Yes. It had the Halo 1 pistol. And, it brought pretty meaningful melee attacks and grenades to the forefront, which PC shooters hadn't really focused on yet, with melee being extra lame (admit it, the Impact Hammerwas a taunt kill). And, like Kasavin said, Halo 1 just had really fun enemies. It was like beating on buffed up Half-Life army guys  throughout the entire game. Plus, a 

But, I will stress, the PC version was not perfect. In fact, it was pretty roughed up. Back then, 56K was still "supported", and the netcode was based around it. So, it wasn't really precise, which kind of ruined multiplayer. And the editing tools never came out for the main game.

"
Never got the pc games, but would you say that the xbox's halo's had a larger modding community? It was actually quite large, quite comparable to active pc fpses' mod communities

Halo 3 also has a rising community, but people are stil figuring it out.  Lots are sharable by file share, others are hard mods.  

mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mocobrian
@Diamond said:
"Let's see.  User who registered today.  First post is about if Halo is good or not.  Less than a month ago there was a guy getting banned over and over for the same thing..."

Well, is Greg Kasavin right or wrong?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

The PC is vast and has many fans. I'm sure it's a fine shooter with many players.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

We're discussing about an opinion being wrong. Halo's a pretty damn good game and has done a lot, and people like you just need to stop living in 2001 and questioning critical appeal.

mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mocobrian
@EpicSteve said:
"We're discussing about an opinion being wrong. Halo's a pretty damn good game and has done a lot, and people like you just need to stop living in 2001 and questioning critical appeal. "

But, do you agree with Greg Kasavin?
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EpicSteve
@mocobrian said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"We're discussing about an opinion being wrong? Halo's a pretty damn good game and has done a lot, and people like you just need to stop living in 2001 and questioning critical appeal. "
But, do you agree with Greg Kasavin? "
Yeah. Halo on the PC totally ran weird at moments, but it's high quality game. He never said it was the best PC game ever, but you can easily argue Halo CE can stand next to other classics.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By delta_ass

The reticule for Halo PC was ridiculously huge. I don't know why.

Graphics were kinda bland. No rate of fire selector on rifles.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan
@mocobrian said:
"
@Diamond said:
"Let's see.  User who registered today.  First post is about if Halo is good or not.  Less than a month ago there was a guy getting banned over and over for the same thing..."
Well, is Greg Kasavin right or wrong? "

I believe the answer is that you need a life rather than creating new accounts just for Halo.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

The greatest crime to the FPS genre was UT2k4 being out-sold by Halo and Halo 2. 

UT2k4 was everything Halo couldn't be.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@KaosAngel said:
"The greatest crime to the FPS genre was UT2k4 being out-sold by Halo and Halo 2.  UT2k4 was everything Halo couldn't be."

Very ironic considering UT2004 was the old UT but with lots of halo influences. (screw talking about UT2003 as that was an in between game no one, including myself,  hadn't played)
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"The greatest crime to the FPS genre was UT2k4 being out-sold by Halo and Halo 2.  UT2k4 was everything Halo couldn't be."
Very ironic considering UT2004 was the old UT but with lots of halo influences. (screw talking about UT2003 as that was an in between game no one, including myself,  hadn't played) "
UT2k4 came out at the very start of 2004...almost a full year before Halo 2.  What are you talking about?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@KaosAngel said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Very ironic considering UT2004 was the old UT but with lots of halo influences. (screw talking about UT2003 as that was an in between game no one, including myself,  hadn't played) "
UT2k4 came out at the very start of 2004...almost a full year before Halo 2.  What are you talking about?"
Umm.... Halo 2 wasn't the first halo game.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
UT2k4 came out at the very start of 2004...almost a full year before Halo 2.  What are you talking about?"
Umm.... Halo 2 wasn't the first halo game. "
The original UT came out before the original Halo as well.  Meaning that UT didn't copy from anyone.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mocobrian
@KaosAngel said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Umm.... Halo 2 wasn't the first halo game. "
The original UT came out before the original Halo as well.  Meaning that UT didn't copy from anyone."
Both UT and Halo copied many elements from Tribes.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Both UT and Halo copied many elements from Tribes."

Halo copied what exactly? 
Are you sure you aren't trapped at E3 uhh...2000 was it?  That I could see the comparisons, but the final product had just about no comparison.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@KaosAngel said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
The original UT came out before the original Halo as well.  Meaning that UT didn't copy from anyone."
But I said it was UT2004, the one you applaud so much, that took elements from halo and put them on their old UT formula.  Reading comprehension ftw!
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mocobrian
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Halo copied what exactly?  "

Regenerating shield system and vehicles. UT copied Tribes class/clan system and game types.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EpicSteve

UT is so outlandishly different than Halo, it's pointless to bring up. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The TC is a flame-baiter. However, Greg Kasavin is usually right, unless you count his 9.0 Perfect Dark Zero review.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Regenerating shield system and vehicles. UT copied Tribes class/clan system and game types."
Okay, I actually could see those two, although Halo definately did both quite differently at the same time. 
But still, that's not exactly copying many elements in any way.  Yea, still not seeing how you said that.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mocobrian
@ArbitraryWater said:
"The TC is a flame-baiter. However, Greg Kasavin is usually right, unless you count his 9.0 Perfect Dark Zero review."
That was the first time I've ever disagreed with him.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EpicSteve
@ArbitraryWater said:
" The TC is a flame-baiter. However, Greg Kasavin is usually right, unless you count his 9.0 Perfect Dark Zero review. "
So true. 
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mocobrian
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Regenerating shield system and vehicles. UT copied Tribes class/clan system and game types."
Okay, I actually could see those two, although Halo definately did both quite differently at the same time.  But still, that's not exactly copying many elements in any way.  Yea, still not seeing how you said that. "

No, wait. Regenerating shield system was done before in Marathon one of Bungie's earlier games. My mistake.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
No, wait. Regenerating shield system was done before in Marathon one of Bungie's earlier games. My mistake. "
So umm.... okay?  Do you have no other comparisons or?   Because if not, you have little basis for that arguement, which really bugs me considering lots of pc gamers like to say that, mainly before halo 1 got ported.   It's really just been a rather baseless statement imo. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
That was quite honestly the stupidest fucking thing you have ever posted on this forum, ever.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mocobrian
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
No, wait. Regenerating shield system was done before in Marathon one of Bungie's earlier games. My mistake. "
So umm.... okay?  Do you have no other comparisons or?   Because if not, you have little basis for that arguement, which really bugs me considering lots of pc gamers like to say that, mainly before halo 1 got ported.   It's really just been a rather baseless statement imo.  "
I have nothing against Halo.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
That was quite honestly the stupidest fucking thing you have ever posted on this forum, ever.
"
Well there were several gametypes taken right from halo, the vehicles took inspiration from the game (I guess you could argue tribes though, although they definately control more similar to halo's), and there's of course the fact that it's just a tribes rip off that you can't jump high with smaller more arena type maps and how halo is just a tribes rip off as well.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
Well there were several gametypes taken right from halo, the vehicles took inspiration from the game (I guess you could argue tribes though, although they definately control more similar to halo's), and there's of course the fact that it's just a tribes rip off that you can't jump high with smaller more arena type maps and how halo is just a tribes rip off as well. "
The Scorpion barely resembles a Warthog. No gametype that UT2k4 used was originally created by Halo. And "just a Tribes" rip-off might be the second-most-stupid thing you've ever said on these forums.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By JoelTGM

but that is so old

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
The Scorpion barely resembles a Warthog. No gametype that UT2k4 used was originally created by Halo. And "just a Tribes" rip-off might be the second-most-stupid thing you've ever said on these forums.
"
All were created by bungie (just include the variant names when I list these)
(using the UT names)

-  CTF
- Double Domination
- Bombing Run
- Mutant

granted, these are actually from marathon except juggeranut, but whatever.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayge_
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
All were created by bungie (just include the variant names when I list these)(using the UT names)-  CTF- Double Domination- Bombing Run- Mutantgranted, these are actually from marathon except juggeranut, but whatever. "
And Marathon is not Halo. You just proved *yourself* wrong. And with that, I leave the thread for the night.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mocobrian
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
All were created by bungie (just include the variant names when I list these)(using the UT names)-  CTF- Double Domination- Bombing Run- Mutantgranted, these are actually from marathon except juggeranut, but whatever. "
And Marathon is not Halo. You just proved *yourself* wrong. And with that, I leave the thread for the night.
"
Halo only has Marathon references such as the Marathon logo on the Pillar of Autumn and the Halo control center is shaped like the Marathon logo from a top view. Marathon was the first FPS to use feature dual wielding which Halo 2 adopted later on. Marathon is one of my favorite FPS series like Halo.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mocobrian
@Sephiroth9997 said:
"Fuckin thing sucked. "

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lyphen
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"

No, post-Halo, UT2K4 was taking stuff from Battlefield. Bombing Run was birthed from a mod for UT99, who knows what their inspiration was.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#41  Edited By LordAndrew

This isn't about being right or wrong, it's about opinion.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
I don't know about that, his first post on this thread was pretty fucking stupid too.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayge_
@Jimbo said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
I don't know about that, his first post on this thread was pretty fucking stupid too. "
That's true. It can be hard to judge. The deep, deep UT fan in me weighs in though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Greg was and is my favorite reviewer, and everyone has there own opinions, and even though I disagree with him on this one, he still makes really good points.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r

Note how from talking about a multi platform game, he makes up his own rules and restricts comparisons to  PCexclusive titles only... As if multi platform titles of the Modern Warfare sort don't look and play infinitely better on PC. Lol. Also, The Witcher is an FPS folks. Lol. What more evidence do you need about someone talking out of his ass without having a clue about what he's pretend-attempting to discuss?

Anyway, there are many PC shooters better than Halo, from single player titles like the Half-Life (or anything Valve) franchise to multiplayer focused titles like the Unreal Tournament franchise, the Battlefield franchise, the Call of Duty franchise, the Tribes franchise (well, perhaps not the last part) to mixed focus titles like Rainbow Six , Ghost Recon (but not the shoddy consolised latest parts) SWAT, Armed Assault 2 and others. Even free stuff like America's Army. Sure, not all of them are exclusive, but several are, and the rest look and most importantly play far better on PC, with often enough more involved communities, mod support, and so on and so forth. There's really no comparison.

And no, the modding community of Halo on the Xbox isn't comparable to PC based mod communities at all. Can you even actually make any meaningful conversions to the gameplay? All I've seen is maps, maybe crappy stunt or racing levels as the most varied gameplay difference. I don't see single or multi player projects that completely change the setting, the arsenal, the enemies, the game modes, or even the genre.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pibo47

He's right.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_A_Drain

My opinions on the matter aside. He is neither right nor wrong, it's his opinion. It's right for him. So why does there even need to be a debate? ZOMG ~BIIIAAAAAS LOOOOOL!!!! .... No. I dispise Halo and I still recognize his opinion.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kohe321

Greg K is always right!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#49  Edited By Vinchenzo

The only time Greg Kasavin was wrong is the Perfect Dark Zero review. But that was only once.