Is it just me or does 1Up suck balls?

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joeq1159

Back when I used to read EGM like it was a religious text, I would visit 1Up.com almost daily. The website was always slow and it really wasn't that pretty, but at least it was something. I recently went to check out the website after not having visited since before EGM went down, and I was left wide eyed at what I saw. The site is pretty much built to generate page views. Photo galleries consist of 50 plus pages with only one pic to each page. This wouldn't even be so bad if the loading times weren't shaky at best. And then there are all the ads that pop out automatically and get in the way of everything. Even there contest are design to have people sitting at their computers refreshing the page over and over again. Am I the only one angered by this? 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

Um...did you completely miss the UGO buyout and the massive layoffs?

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By EndlessObsidian

You are preaching to the choir my friend. 

RIP 1UP YOURS *tear*

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FourWude

The site is pretty dead nowadays. Their video content, which used to be pretty informative, is also abysmal. 

Saying that Tina Sanchez is smexy, so all you haters LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!! Leave Tina alone from the internet hatebaggery, she's too cute for all that.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By DonutFever
@RecSpec said:

" Um...did you completely miss the UGO buyout and the massive layoffs? "

It wasn't shitty after that, but that's when things went downhill. They still have some good writers: Parish, Sanchez and Scooter. 
EDIT: Cifaldi is cool too.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheFreeMan

The only things that I really dislike about 1up now is the ridiculous click-generating photo gallery stuff. Otherwise, I dig it. It's not as good as the glory days, with the 1up Show and everything before the layoffs, but it's not bad, I would say. 

Although they need to work on their forum stability, cause that shit is broken. Clicking on the last page of a thread occasionally brings up a strange abyss of nothing, clicking on threads will teleport you to the home page for no apparent reason and posting often just cancels out altogether.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Surkov
@FourWude: Tina is why I left 1up. I can't stand her. 

Long live Jenn Frank. At least she could speak intelligently about games. 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

I've come to realize that pretty much every gaming site on the internet sucks except for Giant Bomb.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonutFever

Seeing how this is turning into the Old 1UP reminiscing thread, I gotta thank that site for introducing me to Persona. And for providing me with 1UP Yours, which I miss even though Weekend Confirmed goes on. I love Jeff and loved Brian, but there was something special with the old crew.   

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joeq1159
@Milkman said:
" I've come to realize that pretty much every gaming site on the internet sucks except for Giant Bomb. "
agreed
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By ColinWright

God Damn. Thinking back that place used to be packed with talented people and great personalities. Pour one out.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

1UP is the one when they posted about some girl's sister going out, and apparently running away on a Friday night?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ThunderSlash

I used to go to 1UP when I read OPM. I still check in once in a while. I don't mind the contests, and I don't even mind the 1 pic pages, but it's those ads that get to me! They lag my browser so much with their sounds and scrolling in the way of the articles! Makes the site virtually unusable unless you have adblock; and I usually whitelist most sites unless their ads are really intrusive.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheFreeMan
@KaosAngel said:
" 1UP is the one when they posted about some girl's sister going out, and apparently running away on a Friday night? "
Tina's sister went missing and was found, like, a day later or something but I don't think 1up actually posted that on their website (though a concerned member notified the community via the forums). Unless you're referring to something else, in which case I have no idea.
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SuperWristBands

I really like 1UP's podcasts. They have some good personalities but they recently let go of some of my favourites like Scott Sharkey (who is maybe doing freelance for them now? I have no idea), and Ray Barnholt, and I didn't know Jade Kraus before she was let go but damn do I wish I knew how fun the at1UP podcast was before they pretty much killed it. 

Frank Cifaldi is pretty cool too.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DonutFever
@TheFreeMan said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" 1UP is the one when they posted about some girl's sister going out, and apparently running away on a Friday night? "
Tina's sister went missing and was found, like, a day later or something but I don't think 1up actually posted that on their website (though a concerned member notified the community via the forums). Unless you're referring to something else, in which case I have no idea. "
Tina posted a blog about it on 1UP after everything was resolved, thanking the community for their help and giving a summary of what happened, everything else happened on Twitter. She was on the front page of TwitPic, right next to Lady Gaga.
oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool2112

Ha! What timing for this post! I was listening to the 'Games Damnit" podcast today, thinking how they all sound like they are angry and always trying to talk over or one-up the other with their nerdipedia. Games are fun, and thats why I love the GB podcast - the fun seems to translate into their weekly podcast. Thank you Giantbomb! Now put up a fucking merch shop so I can have a coffee mug with your logo on it and support you that way instead of buying in to the stupid sub plan.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JazzyJeff

1up still has a lot going for it, in my opinion. The staff is great, and they really do care about their visitors. That said, I honestly don't visit the site much because my PC runs it slowly. The page scrolling is choppy (for me), the ads are annoying, and the design is a bit chaotic.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By benpack

The 1up show was my first podcast. Had some great stuff back in the day and was the reason I got into sites like Giantbomb.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By moelarrycurly
@joeq1159 said:
" @Milkman said:
" I've come to realize that pretty much every gaming site on the internet sucks except for Giant Bomb. "
agreed "
Hey now, what about RPS?
AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AndyPhifer

I mean, what did they expect? That they could fire 2/3 of the staff and still put out a quality product? Sad.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

I was using it as my site to get the general news about stuff that happens in the gaming world, since Giant Bomb doesn't cover anything unless its some uber popular game all the kids love, but I was fed up and just removed it from my bookmarks a few weeks back. I hate the site design and find it down right disgusting how often they make those stupid 50 page photo galleries made up of one picture per page just so they can get a ton of clicks and pad their site views. I honestly haven't missed it since ether. 

I do miss the old days of the awesome podcasts Jeff Green and them used to do, but that time has passed long ago.

Now I just use bluesnews.com and pcgamer.com for all of my general gaming news. I really fell in love with PC gamer since they actually cover news about PC games. Unlike other sites out there they don't just cover PC news whenever Blizzard or Valve makes a new PC game, but a ton of truly great PC games I never even knew existed because absolutely no one is reporting on them.

thevector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By thevector

It's really a shame what happened to the site over the past couple years.  They lost a lot of quality staff, but there still are folks over there that write good reviews, so I still check it out occasionally. 

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EndlessObsidian
@joeq1159 said:
" @Milkman said:
agreed "
I certainly agree about the site part.
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The only thing that I ever really liked about 1UP was Sharkey. That Stephen King looking motherfucker was the perfect cynical realist counterpoint to Jeremy Parish's stupid pretentious, polysyllabic, bullshit.  

Now that he's gone, I have no reason to deal with 1UP's pretentious corner. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

Except for Jeremy Parish, everyone I used to read or listen to has gone on to other websites, magazines, or parts of the industry.  I replaced 1UP with Shacknews in my collection of visited websites.  Besides, I have enough to read between the Whiskey pages, Joystiq, Shack, and a few others (including Kotaku provided I'm in "classic" mode) for my video game information.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

What I loved about 1up can be summed up in this picture. 

Order clockwise: EGM *Live, Retronauts, The 1up Show, 1up Yours, CGW/GFW, 1up FM.
 Order clockwise: EGM *Live, Retronauts, The 1up Show, 1up Yours, CGW/GFW, 1up FM.

I still miss all you guys ;( 
Thank god I've got giantbomb.
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BBQBram

Everyone who misses the 1UP show should check out CO-OP at www.area5.tv (it's not letting me make a link out of that for some reason?).

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By gingertastic_10

I haven't went there since EGM orginally closed and all of my favorite editors left, like Shane, John Davidson, and basically the 1UP Yours team.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By kalmis

When they killed Retronauts podcast I lost interested on that site.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It doesn't feel like the same site any more. When the take-over came, they fired a lot of the staff that made it feel unique, and it's never felt as good since. 

I used to visit 1up a lot. Barely hit up the site these days.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Portis
1UP.com in its (relatively short) heyday was a fucking juggernaut.  

All of those well known writers, all in one place and putting together some of the greatest podcasts known to gaming man. I haven't visited the site in over a year now -- but I'll always remember what it was like when they were firing on all cylinders. 

@Sasran said: 

" Scott Sharkey (who is maybe doing freelance for them now? I have no idea) "

Seriously doubt that. Scott Sharkey was extremely salty about getting laid off. I remember that dude being pretty livid about it on his Twitter right after it happened. Who could blame him, really?
kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#35  Edited By kalmis
@Portis said:

@Sasran said: 

" Scott Sharkey (who is maybe doing freelance for them now? I have no idea) "

Seriously doubt that. Scott Sharkey was extremely salty about getting laid off. I remember that dude being pretty livid about it on his Twitter right after it happened. Who could blame him, really? "
Well he went back and did a the last Retronauts episode just recently. Don't know about other podcasts though.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By l4wd0g

Shane, Garnet, and Jeff. Those were the days. Broken Pixels is still fun to watch.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By nickux

1UP used to be such a great site, with talented writers, and top-notch series of podcasts like 1UP Yours and 1UP FM. But after the UGO buyout and the second round of firings, the site has just lost its way. There are still good people there doing good work but it's nothing like it used to be.

AlphaCentauri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlphaCentauri

Haters gonna hate.
Don't like it? Don't go to their site.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 1p
@wasteguru said:

" What I loved about 1up can be summed up in this picture."

Never forget. At its peak, 1up had an amazing amount of talented folks, and so many fantastic podcasts. Today, it's borderline irrelevant.

@joeq1159 said:

"The site is pretty much built to generate page views."

I hate to break it to you: Every commercial website is.
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By Aaron_G
@Milkman said:
I could not agree more. 
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By super_machine

Did you renew your EGM subscription? You know the mag came back.

edeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By edeo
@kalmis: So true, I don't understand why Jeremy Parish hated that podcast so much. 

1up is frustrating.  They kill their best material.   

@1up was very much in the same style as the Bombcast.  It was enjoyable to listen to them talk about random pop junk.   Retronauts was fascinating.  I felt the discussion was much more clever there than on their games podcasts.

The only saving grace with 1up is Active Time Babble and Jeremy Parish.  Everything else is abominable.  I can't tolerate listening to Thierry Nguyen speak for more than five minutes.  It seems like many people share my dislike, and yet 1up puts him on EVERY SINGLE DAMN PODCAST.  Their main podcast generally consists of constant passive aggression and boredom. 

Sure, every website is designed to generate hits.  But that misses the point.  It's all about the ease of navigation.  1up's  page design is even worse than IGN.  It's just a huge clusterfuck and my eyeballs get confused.  When I go to Giant Bomb, I know exactly where to find the latest videos/reviews/etc with a minimum of hassle.   It seems like so many well designed websites go to shit at some point.  I used to love Metacritic, but it turned into a giant unnavigable eyesore.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By meteora

I swear asking if another gaming site sucks or not on Giant Bomb is guaranteed to be a "yes" for superiority complex. 

So yes, it probably sucks. =P

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i just checked it out and the advertisements reminded me of gamespot...  well ok theyre different but whatever

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pinworm45

Giantbomb needs more threads about other gaming websites.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shaka999

I'll be honest, if it wasn't for 1upYours & the 1upShow, I probably wouldn't have loved podcasts enough to find the GiantBombcast. 

Also, I love Weekend Confirmed, but it's just not the same.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

I like Retronauts and I like that they mostly talk about handheld JRPGs on Active Time Babble.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Juno500

They're going to be doing a Retronauts episode for the 25th anniversary of Zelda, for anybody interested.

Anyway, I still go to the site, but I'm definitely disappointed that things are the way they are. The forums are basically dead.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By JJWeatherman

You know what sucks balls? The phrase "suck balls".

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cornman89

ATB is all right.