• 67 results
#1 Posted by Snakes_Mullet (4 posts) -

A side from the full DLC games I've downloaded is just me or are add ons to games mostly just buggy messes that never really work right.  Case in point the Dragon age and fallout DLC, these two games are some of my favorite of this generation and I would really love to continue playing them but  they don't seem to be worth buying because of all the problems that are associated with them.

#2 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Its you. 
What exactly is wrong with the Fallout 3 DLC? Point Lookout and Broken Steel were great and certainly worth the investment.

#4 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

DLC sucks.

#5 Posted by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -

Fallout 3's DLC added meaningful content to game and is the right way to implement that kind of stuff (bugs aside, but this is nothing new for Bethesda). The "weekly Fallout 3 segment" that continued for months and months on the GB podcast proved that, though I do agree that a lot of DLC in games is awful.

#6 Posted by MrCandleguy (813 posts) -

Fallout DLC is great, same with borderlands. I heard that new bioshock DLC is better than the actually bioshock 2 game.  I say look in better places and you will find better stuff. Oh and l4d2 dlc is awesome too.

#7 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" No. "
#8 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

I like free DLC. Paid DLC can go to hell. Why is my post all italicized? Oh, I hit Ctrl+I by accident. Sorry.
#9 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Most DLC I don't really care for. There's some good DLC, but for the most part I stay away from it.

#10 Edited by Kyreo (4602 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:

" @ThePhantomnaut said:

" No. "
"
Fallout 3, Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and plenty of other titles are perfect examples that will back up this statement.
#11 Posted by elko84 (1113 posts) -

you

#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6498 posts) -

We're in the beginning of the DLC era.

#13 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Eh, it's mostly just you.

#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

I depends, if it is new weapons, armor etc then it is crap. 

If it is new contentment as in areas, missions etc then I am all for it since they are basically expansion packs.

#15 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

There seems to be very little good DLC. Which is what pisses me off. Its like the 1st few rounds of DLC meant something, and now everyone does it...and almost everyone puts out shit, or stuff that shoulda been in the game to begin with. 

#16 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

I feel like most AAA games release really good DLC, but DLC for other games is rarely that great.

#17 Posted by SlowHands (347 posts) -

Minerva's Den for BioShock 2 was well worth the price though.

#18 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I enjoy DLC.

#19 Edited by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

I liked some of the Fallout 3 DLC. Point Lookout was probably the highlight. Though when I look back on it, yeah, it's one of those things I really wish I'd waited for a GOTY pack to buy, because none of it seemed very meaty. You could argue that you're only paying between $5 and $15 for any given DLC pack, but I'd rather pay $30 for the fleshed out experience of an expansion pack. 

I think my biggest problem with most DLC is the recycling of content from the main game. It's insulting to me when they expect you to pay for a little bit of lighting fidgeting and a new enemy layout over maps you already saw in the main game. Dragon Age is a big offender. Alan Wake is another one. Both of those games most recent DLChad level design that was 90% or more scrambled from other existing content with a story slapped together in an attempt to excuse that. If you can't spare the artists and level designers for such a trivial piece of content, my suggestion is to not put out that content. It's hard to argue that it's anything other than a money grab, and I find it offensive.

#20 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Lost and the Damned was pretty good. 

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (12391 posts) -

Most yes, but General Knoxx, for example, felt like a mini-sequel. 

#22 Edited by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

DLC sucks because it's almost always stuff that they had to figure out a way to cut from the game without making it crash, and be able to hide it behind a pay wall in the final hours before going gold. I have yet to see any DLC for a game, that I liked, that was worth the asking price. 

No matter how much they try to pretty it up, it all looks like horse armor to me. The only difference now is that they give you two or three pieces of horse armor to trick people into thinking it's not the same thing. Sadly, most people didn't realize that and they all started buying the crap and setting the bar so low that the developers would be insane to try and raise it now. They are getting paid twice for the same game by simply cutting some content from the game and saying it's DLC. 

This picture I made for an old blog post about why DLC is ruining the gaming industry illustrates my point of view. This is what we would have gotten if the modern ideas of nickle and dimming games with DLC and pre-order bonuses was alive back in the day of the NES.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Some DLC is actually good, so don't put all DLC in that category.

#24 Posted by hedfone (1731 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" No. "
#25 Posted by pbhawks45 (738 posts) -

It depends how dedicated the developers are. I enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout's DLC, and I really liked both GTA releases. Heck, Halo's 9 DLC maps have all been really awesome. But I'll agree. Often times it feels like the gaming equivelent of deleted scenes from movies. 

#26 Posted by Brendan (8120 posts) -

I don't buy DLC for most games; only for the titles I can't play enough of.  Case in point, the only games that I've purchased a lot of game add-on DLC for are Oblivioin, ME, and ME2.  God I could play ME2 forever, I have problems.
#27 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

It's like expansion packs only worse.

#28 Posted by Snakes_Mullet (4 posts) -

Okay so your right "Lost and the dammed" dlc was really good but I bought a lot of Fallout's dlc and was disappointed because of how buggy it was or how it just wasn't very good. As of late I bought DLC for Dragon age and it was so buggy that I couldn't even finish some of the quests.

#29 Posted by Feanor (1391 posts) -

Some of it is good, some of it sucks. Its just like everything else in this world.

#30 Posted by GunstarRed (5448 posts) -

Theres a ton of good stuff, Both Borderlands and Mass Effect 2 are doing it perfectly. The Resident Evil 5 add ons were great, Minerva's den is great, Rock Band songs are great, Alan wake  chapter was great even the map packs for MW2 are probably great if youre really into that game... so yeah it's you.

#31 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

He did say most.

#32 Posted by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

Thing is, even if it were good (which most of it isn't), it's usually such a minimal amount of content that it's barely worth going through the purchase and install process.  An hour or two of game content just isn't enough to do anything worthwhile imo.

#33 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

DLC is a bloody disgrace and should be stopped before things get too extreme. It will happen and remember you heard it here first.

#34 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

A lot of DLC is really lousy, but there's plenty of good stuff out there. Just make sure you know what you're buying, so you don't end up regretting it.

#35 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -

Most of the Dragon Age DLC is pretty sucky. But there are some shining examples for some brilliant DLC. Such as the obvious picks for the GTA4 expansions, the Mass Effect 2 pieces and the Borderlands expansions.

#36 Posted by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

the fallout DLC , 5 packs costing at 10dol each (which basically means you've spent 110dolars on one game) were good. two to three hours long and original but they were fucking BUGGED AS HELL. overall yes i think DLC is a rip off, the only good add on i've played aside from fallout was Alan Wake's "The Signal" it was for free and added 8 achievements i mean that's rad. Same for RDR with the first co-op DLC.  the lamest and cheapest DLC was AC2's sequence 13 and 14 or was it 12 and 13? those were a rip off.
#37 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

90% of DLC is terrible, but there's some decent stuff.

#38 Posted by procyon (6 posts) -

Let's think about this mathematically.

You pay 60 dollars for Dragon Age: Origins. Keeping re-playability into account you have hundreds of hours of meaningful gameplay. All in all an excellent investment.

Now, suppose you bought every single DLC release for Dragon Age. You get several hours (probably no more than ten) of extra gameplay. All in all you will have paid something around 50 dollars. 

See the discrepancy?

I don't have anything against the idea of DLC per se, but rather the way it is implemented. If DLC gives you 10 to 20 hours of extra, meaningful gameplay, I say yes, invest in it. If it's less than that, I am hesitant to accept it.

#39 Posted by Rongaryen (282 posts) -

I don't think most DLC is crap although by the time DLC is released for a game I enjoyed, I'm usually done with the game and don't feel the need to continue playing it.  Not the games fault, I just feel I need to move on to the next game of the month.

#40 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Having just played Minerva's Den, i can safely say that it was better than anything in the full game. 

So I'm going to have to disagree with you.

#41 Edited by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -

A lot of DLC is ideas that had to be cut in order to hit budget and deadlines.  If they approach the publisher, they can get extra money and time to release this would-be-cut content as something fans can check out.  If it wasn't DLC, it would never have existed otherwise.

The problem I have is that a lot of people seem to think that all DLC should have been in the game, that they feel as if they're being charged extra for something they are somehow entitled to.  If the retail experience wasn't enough, you should not have bought it.  That's using your money wisely.

@Pibo47 said:

" There seems to be very little good DLC. Which is what pisses me off. Its like the 1st few rounds of DLC meant something, and now everyone does it...and almost everyone puts out shit, or stuff that shoulda been in the game to begin with.  "

If you think it 'should have been in the game', then obviously you should not have bought the game in the first place.
#42 Edited by DaBuddaDa (289 posts) -

I much prefer the more robust $30-$40 "expansion packs" of old over the A.D.D.-generation, 2-hour-long, $10 impulse-buy DLCs of today.

#43 Posted by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -
@pbhawks45 said:
" It depends how dedicated the developers are. I enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout's DLC, and I really liked both GTA releases. Heck, Halo's 9 DLC maps have all been really awesome. But I'll agree. Often times it feels like the gaming equivelent of deleted scenes from movies.  "
That's because it exactly is deleted scenes most of the time. 
#44 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I just finished playing through Witch Hunt,and fuck that was stupid.

#45 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
@DaBuddaDa said:
" I much prefer the more robust $30-$40 "expansion packs" of old over the A.D.D.-generation, 2-hour-long, $10 impulse-buy DLCs of today. "

I'm with this person. I'm not going to spend good money over a single mission or a stupid map pack.
#46 Posted by Jeust (10852 posts) -

I agree. Most DLC are lousy, but there are good ones out there.  

I think the main problem is discerning between which is worth it, and which is not, before actually purchasing.

#47 Posted by CookieMonster (2448 posts) -

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a tiny bit more free DLC,  and I always think 800 points should be the maximum price for dlc. Having to pay more than a quarter of the price of the original game for some dlc is a bit dumb in my opinion, unless its something really substantial. 

#48 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Absolutely, DLC generally doesn't justify its price against competitions. You can get full games for the same prices e.g. Steam, Arcade.
 If you want to efficiently manage money, DLC is wasteful.

#49 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" I just finished playing through Witch Hunt,and fuck that was stupid. "
As was most of the Dragon Age DLC. Just remembering my time with Golems of Amgarrak...*shivers*
#50 Edited by Jeust (10852 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" I just finished playing through Witch Hunt,and fuck that was stupid. "
As was most of the Dragon Age DLC. Just remembering my time with Golems of Amgarrak...*shivers* "
Yep, i'm also not a fan of the Dragon Age dlc. Most had contrived plots and weak execution.