#1 Edited by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

I wanted to set up a game giveaway where the 1000th comment some undecided contest grants the winner a game key for steam (that game being the alan wake humble bundle pack). Not sure if that will fly with the mods though. Has it been done in the past?

And I probably wont do this for a few days.

Edit : More suggestions on how I should give the keys away will be greatly appreciated

And I think I'm going to limit the amount of keys I give away. I don't want to devalue the game by buying a bunch of them for only 1 dollar

#2 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

That sounds rather spammy. If you have codes to give out, try this thread.

#3 Edited by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@isomeri: I don't want to trade, I want to give away the keys. And I want to give everyone a chance to get it. Actually, Im gonna illustrate the plan

I have 17 bucks in paypal money and the alan wake franchise is currently on sale. To show my appreciation, and get more people into this series, I might pick up a bunch of keys to give away (I could technically get 17 keys with that money for 17 different people).

And getting rid of the keys on a trading/gifting forum wont peak any interest in the Series (which I would really like a sequel for).

This could even get some people to purchase the game on their own.

All I really want is to do everything in my power to show my love and appreciation for Remedy/Alan Wake, and this seems like a good way to do it

#4 Edited by Strife777 (1555 posts) -

You should find a better way than waiting for the "1000th" comment to win. A thousand is a lot.

Giveaways are perfectly fine, but you should probably figure out some game or question for people to guess. Or just give it away and first come first served.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13173 posts) -

Rather than give it away to some guy who happens to get your arbitrary post number, why not give it away to someone who is actually willing to play it. I think "Hey, if anyone is interested in Alan Wake, I've got an extra key to give away" type threads are appreciated, but "1000TH POSTER GETS THE PRIZE" type threads are just shitty spam.

#6 Edited by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

I thoroughly endorse this. ^_^

I haven't got a chance to play Alan Wake yet, and I would love to participate!

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@strife777: Yeah, I was exaggerating with 1000. And first come first serve is a little strict. maybe 17 random numbers within 100 comments get it. That seems a bit more reasonable. As for actual submissions, that limits who can participate in the giveaway

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@toowalrus: I was going to set up an honor system within the OP

1. Make sure you can run it

2. Only if you don't own it

3. Only if you've never played it

4. Only if you're interested in it

I'm not going to actual enforce these rules, since it will complicate things, but I'll make sure to illustrate the honor system (and make them feel like dicks if they go against it).

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1005 posts) -

@naru_joe93: I think a quiz or scavenger hunt would be a better idea

#10 Edited by Trace (3553 posts) -

While we generally don't have problems with people giving away codes, something like the 1000 comments part would be an issue. Encouraging people to make excessive posts that don't add to a meaningful conversation, much like forum games, are discouraged on the site.

Selecting people within the first 100 (if it reaches that point) or something similar works. It adds a cut-off point, but doesn't encourage spamming to reach a milestone.

#11 Posted by dudeglove (7761 posts) -

You should find a better way than waiting for the "1000th" comment to win. A thousand is a lot.

Yeah, if you're looking to get that many comments, you'll have to pair your thread up with some popular topic like, I dunno, Leigh Alexander.

And yes, I have Alan Wake, thanks, but even if I didn't I wouldn't be motivated to bounce around the forums spam posting for your personal enjoyment. Giveaways on this forum are fine in my experience (I gave away an extra copy of XCOM without incident), and DOTA keys appear to be bleeding from the walls.

So why not do something positive, or fun? Like a picture competition, or asking peeps to do a Max Payne haiku? Here's a picture of Ryan kicking Jeff in the balls.

#12 Edited by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@pseg: Yeah I edited that point into my OP. I'm leaning towards the picking random numbers between 1-100, but I'm gonna keep this thread going for more suggestions first. Thanks for the response!

#13 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@naru_joe93:

So why not do something positive, or fun? Like a picture competition, or asking peeps to do a Max Payne haiku? Here's a picture of Ryan kicking Jeff in the balls.

Contests for the best dumb thing are my favorite. Even if I don't win, at least I get to see what stupid junk everybody else came up with.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14776 posts) -

@naru_joe93: All the posts are numbered. I'd just jot down everyone's names who wants in then use Random.org to pick numbers until you exhaust your supply of codes.

#15 Posted by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@naru_joe93:

@dudeglove said:

Contests for the best dumb thing are my favorite. Even if I don't win, at least I get to see what stupid junk everybody else came up with.

Leaning towards dumb contest. Need to think about the requirements first. hmmmmm

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7761 posts) -

@naru_joe93: Also, don't get me wrong, it's totally cool that you want to give away games n' stuff, just don't do it in an attempt to be popular or something. Spread the love. Or in the words of Dark Souls...

Engage in some...

#17 Edited by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -

@dudeglove: Trust me, I don't give two shits about internet popularity (it honestly didn't even cross my mind until you brought it up).

My main goal is to spread my love of Alan Wake and Remedy Entertainment to the giant bomb community. I want as many people as humanely possible to know how awesome the series is, so it has a fighting chance of getting another entry. Sure, I definitely wont make a difference, but I still want to help out.

Seriously, I almost cried watching that video of Sam Lake saying they had to put the series on the back burner, just because it wasnt a huge money maker.

#18 Posted by dudeglove (7761 posts) -
#19 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Or just give it away and first come first served.

No. Never this. It results in a lot of people sad that they didn't post within three seconds of seeing the thread. Better make it randomly chosen.