Is it possible for Obsidian to make a non buggy game ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

They seem to be the go to guys when it comes to Western RPG sequels. I don't know how they keep getting work after years of janky ass sequels and the technical issues that plague Alpha Protocol.
Do they not get enough time to play test their games ? Did they not realize that KOTOR 2 was pretty much missing chunks of gameplay story ? Bioware games aren't exactly free of bugs but Obsidian seems to be able to top them everytime.  
I am beginning to doubt if Fallout New Vegas will even be remotely playable considering how janky yet fun Fallout 3 was. What is their problem? They seem to have great game play and story ideas but aren't so good when it comes to actual programing.   

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It's the nature of their games that lead to the bugs. Games of this size and ambition will always have their bugs. I don't know about you , but I would much rather have these games with bugs than never see anyone try and make them at all.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Hmmm, im wondering if your just trolling. If not maybe play some of their older stuff, yes they dont make a whole lot of Original IP's, maybe try some of their NeverWinter Nights stuff, just dont write them of yet :) 

alextz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By alextz

I also like Obsidian's games. However, I'll have to agree with the original poster in that they need to get a lot more play-testing done before releasing their games. If Microsoft or Sony had done that, people would already be signing petitions and boycotting their products.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@JeffGoldblum: Just like this fine poster has said, all of Obsidian's games are very large in scale, so its never going to be perfect originally.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

Bioware games always have mad polish though.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benitobb

yes.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By masternater27

Well the problems with KotoR II mostly stem from Lucasarts forcing them to put it out in time for Christmas.  They had to do it in like an 11-month development cycle or something retarded.  The code for the missing parts is still in the game, but Lucasarts made them put it out even though they asked for more time, so they were forced to cut things.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coombs
@bartok said:
"  I am beginning to doubt if Fallout New Vegas will even be remotely playable considering how janky yet fun Fallout 3 was. What is their problem? They seem to have great game play and story ideas but aren't so good when it comes to actual programing.    "
Shut your vile mouth, You'll curse the game before launch....

Also I just put in my Pre-Order for the collectors edition, Don't tell me these things, lol
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By papercut

You make a good point. KOTOR 2 was significantly more buggy then the first. That being said there is absolutely no way they could make fallout more janky...right?

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By MMkain

Big western RPGs tend to have a lot of jank regardless of their developer, just look at the most recent titles from Bethesda, Bioware, and Rockstar.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By C2C

Given the number of times they delayed Alpha Protocol , I would have expected a higher level of polish to that game.  But meh, given what I have heard/seen of that game I don't think I will be picking it up.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brunchies

No , it's a weird thing about Obsidian games that always bothered me even though I love their games. 

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Having lots of bugs is a common occurrence when you don't have the luxury of time and money like some of the big developers do, and even then those big developers have 'jank' in their games. So no, it isn't impossible for Obisidian to make a bug-free game and it isn't always entirely their fault when they don't make one. They get stuff farmed out to them and I imagine with fairly low investments because a lot of the assets can be re-used.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Obsidian haven't had the best of luck.  I can't make excuses for Alpha Protocol, because they had plenty of time for that, but KOTOR 2 wasn't really their fault.  iirc they only had about an 18 month cycle on KOTOR 2 before they were forced to put it out - and in spite of the badly cut content towards the end, it was still a fantastic game.

NWN2 was fine in terms of bugs (at least for me) and a much better game than the original.  Mask of the Betrayer (the expansion) was also very good.

I don't think it's time to worry about New Vegas just yet.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was them being handed New Vegas that caused Alpha Protocol to end up how it did.  New Vegas must have been priority #1 from the moment they got it - and if that meant Alpha Protocol suffering, then so be it as far as they were concerned.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joshakazam
@LiquidPrince said:
" Bioware games always have mad polish though. "
Mass Effect.
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By mosdl
@lilman1101 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" Bioware games always have mad polish though. "
Mass Effect. "
Playing through Mass Effect for the first time on a 360 and I agree, a lot of jank in the game.

Also RDR is full of jank as well but still fun.  Of course the shooting in both of them is ok/good, so if Alpha Protocol's shooting is weak, then that could be trouble.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By evanbrau

They always knock it out of the park in writing terms :/ 
However though KOTOR 2 wasn't their fault, I can't speak to the strengths of Alpha Protocol as I haven't played it but I've been able to enjoy every other Obsidian game. Thinking about it a lot of games I love are broken as fuck - Vampire: Bloodlines and Deus Ex come to mind.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

My copy of Alpha Protocol should be in tonight.  I can't wait to try it out.  Can I change
the name?  I want to call myself Thornton Melon & make my appearance look like
this guy:

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yinstarrunner

You don't play Obsidian games for incredible graphics and top-of-the-line polish.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chyro

Mass Effect 1 and KOTOR were buggy as hell.  Now that they have mad funding and their studio is huge they brought out a more polished Mass Effect 2. 

A couple of things going for Fallout New Vegas is that they are using the same engine as Fallout 3.  Although Fallout 3 definitely had some jank it was still playable.  Hopefully they will use the time to polish the hell out of it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

It's not Obsidian, it's a natural part of Western RPGs due to the wide open natures.

mdsteil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mdsteil

Its really pathetic that they had nearly an entire year to fix the bugs, and decided to just let the game sit in storage instead. Its easy to tell why they did it too, mass effect 2 makes alpha protocol look incredibly cheap by comparison

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kishan6

bugs give games character

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hope you don't think I am trolling because I love Neverwinter Nights 2. I just worry about New Vegas because I preordered it and to be honest I really am still bitter about KOTOR 2. Less bitter now realizing Obsidian was forced to crank that bitch out in 18 months. As for Alpha Protocol there was no excuse given the crazy delays but I'll blame Sega because other then Bayonetta (360 version only) everything they touch turns to shit.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

No. Obsidian lacks the ability to polish a game. It's the Curse of the Black Isle (tm) that started with Fallout 2 and continues to haunt any games that have come after it (see: everything that Troika made before they went belly-up, everything that Obsidian has made so far). 

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chyro
@ArbitraryWater: 

Fallout 2 is still considered one of the best RPGs of all time.  Troika released Vampire: Bloodlines.  Which is criminally underrated.  They might be buggy, but they are still great games.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@bartok said:
" I hope you don't think I am trolling because I love Neverwinter Nights 2. I just worry about New Vegas because I preordered it and to be honest I really am still bitter about KOTOR 2. Less bitter now realizing Obsidian was forced to crank that bitch out in 18 months. As for Alpha Protocol there was no excuse given the crazy delays but I'll blame Sega because other then Bayonetta (360 version only) everything they touch turns to shit. "
They're using the Fallout 3 engine, so how the hell can they screw
it up?  Also, NWN 2 was based on bioware's NWN engine. They
did a pretty sophisticated job with it, although it didn't build the 
grassroots homegrown modules system that NWN 1 had. I'm 
not sure why that is, but I'm guessing that module builders of
NWN 1 simply grew tired of it & moved on.  I tried it a few times
& it was pretty time-consuming.
FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FatalError
@yinstarrunner said:
" You don't play Obsidian games for incredible graphics and top-of-the-line polish. "
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Alphiehyr
@JeffGoldblum said:

"  It's the nature of their games that lead to the bugs. "

I disagree. It is not the nature of their games that lead to bugs, it is simply that they lack the willingness to do a better job.