Is it possible to have paid staff to play NPC's in Mmorpgs?

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras

After reviewing how many player subscriptions are secured in Wow, 5 MILL+. I was thinking how much money that generates for the company in a subscription basis and not even thinking about the original game purchace... it is mega money.

I recently played Star trek online, I have to say I was severely dissapointed. One of the first things I did in game after playing the tutorial was travel to Deep Space 9.. I wanted to check out Quarks Bar, as I thought that would probibly be one of the places to hang out in the Star trek Universe. I saw that alot of people in game were thinking the same as me and were doing the same... I was very dissapointed, the bar was a shambles of static NPC with nothing to say.. there was no atmosphere, nothing to do. Infact all of deep space 9 was an empty shell.

I started thinking to myself... if companies that generate much lower profits can use operatives on call centres to phone up and represent the company call after call.. why couldn't an mmporg pay a member of staff a wage to play as an NPC and interact using chat?

If say in STO Quark was played by a person or people with good startrek knowledge that the Bar would be an entirely different place with a decent atmosphere. The member(s) of staff could even be responsible for making Quarks bar interesting by using the ingame engine to create/request dynamic content/ minigames.. to make real focal points in MMORPG's... Ok in a heavily instanced environment this would be highly improbable.. but say if deep space 9 was reduced to 1 instance.. it could of been a very exciting game.

With the budgets that these companies have... and subscription that they recieve monthly, I think it's about time that we had real role played NPC that operate as a bar manager should by shaping the engine to accomodate dynamic changes to focal points ingame. in some of these online games, instead of a single line of text when you communicate with important characters.. this would be awesome!

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mrjared

This is basically what The Matrix Online did on an almost nightly basis for the first 3-4 months of its launch. Live actors playing the roles of the main characters of the series to interact with the best factions (not even the highest ranking or most powerful factions on the servers) in order to create live events and quests. 

And yes, it was awesome.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Man if it paid good that would be a sweet job.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nukesniper

How Matrix Online did it makes sense, but if an NPC was needed to complete something I wouldn't want to have to wait for that guy to pay attention to me. If STO had Enterprise flying around and helping out randomly, that would be pretty neat. I want Patrick Stewart to be the guy playing that ship though.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

that would be pretty cool to have people doing that. a person would have to wait if the NPC was doing something. it would take a while to get use to that. the company would have to pay a person to do that all night and day.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TotalEklypse

ultima online had people who played as the NPCs. such as Lord British. they used to lead hundreds of us to do crazy quests.
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure

That's actually not a bad idea.  I think they'd need to make sure their financial model could sustain that, but I don't see why they couldn't have a few, at least.  I know promotional reality games will sometimes hire people who interact with people on a more personal level than a computer would, and it really makes those games engaging.  I can think of some social issues that might crop up, but it might make things more interesting.

But if it's not on a role-playing server, though, I wonder if they'd more often than not be targets for harassment.  Imagine a virtual Disneyland where the consequences for pushing Donald Duck down the stairs were basically nil...

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By MildMolasses

They could probably get people to do this without pay simply by waiving some subscription fees. Get a group of people and have them do 4 hours a week or something like that (similar to a volunteer job) and let them play for free with their own characters. It would be a lot cheaper than trying to pay people to do that job, and you could probably find people to do it for with with a lot more enthusiasm if they were already playing the game anyway
Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Truant19

MxO did it great, RIP

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

For things like quest goals and recieving rewards, etc, you'd obviously still need to have computer controlled NPC's.  But I do like the idea of having human ones that could perhaps add a human touch and a bit of atmosphere to some areas..  The Deep Space Nine example was perfect, in the game it does feel like an utterly lifeless shell.  Add a few employee's that do nothing but go around here to liven things up a little and it could really turn the place around.

Gaile Gray, the old community manager for Guild Wars would occasionally log on and arrange little parties in the towns while she was there, and everyone seemed to react really well to her.  The difference she made by being there was pretty amazing, especially for something like GW where the towns tend to feel pretty isolated and lonely a lot of the time. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane
@TotalEklypse said:
" ultima online had people who played as the NPCs. such as Lord British. they used to lead hundreds of us to do crazy quests. "
OH MAN That was so much fun, were you around when they had all the crazy puzzle machines pop up? I believe it had to do with the Gargoyle city, Man I miss that game :/
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoelTGM

I think they'd seem more like another player than a real character.  A lot of people in MMOs already do that role playing thing like a full time job.  I'd prefer to just read some text, with "Kill 10 pigs" in bold at the bottom.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Astras
@DOUBLESHOCK: 
Help me please, rabid pigs are destroying our crops in Goldshire. We need you to venture out and reduce the numbers of these animals, only then will we be able to feed our families.
Kill 10 Pigs

You will recieve 6s 34c
and choose between:

Sausages
restores 66 hp over 5 seconds while seated

Pork chops
Buff: Increases dmg by 10 for 10 minutes.
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TotalEklypse
@Evilsbane: 

yea i was around for a lot of different story lines. like orc invasions and other stuff. they were a blast.    the ones i really liked were the ones that had us in fel where huge wars would break out. mostly between blues and reds lol.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Astras

maybe profit margins and making shareholders happy is more important, perhaps a monetary system does not allow for great products with characters or anyother ingame employed roles.

Even if once a week I saw Thrall walking around orgrimmer and commenting on peoples achievements gear.. that would be great :P

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

I think Everquest you had GM's that would take control of world bosses and fight against players.   But they stopped doing it because costs are pretty high to pay someone to control an NPC across all the servers they had.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By vager

I something similar while I was a GM on a Ultima Online server.  
Changed my model to a creature that was not used in the game and terrorized players for a week by running up to them and summoning a boat load of skeletons and then running away. 
Then I setup a hunt to basically find and hunt me down for some really good loot. 

It was fun listening to conversations about some weird creature running around during the week.
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TotalEklypse
@Astraare you commenting on something fun in a game or tryin to turn this into a political debate on how shitty capitalism is ? lol.  

the Ultima npc story folk were controlled by GMs and creators of the game. because they loved it like we did. if it wasnt for UO thre would be no WOW or any of these half ass carebear MMO games. EVE actually is pretty good about makin us feel like we are part of something bigger with all thier press releases about goings on in the galaxy. they dont do a ton for actual story running or the like, but it is nice to have them let us know what is going on and the politics of the game or when huge battles have occured. just another example of a game like UO or EVE being far ahead of the other games which is funny considering they were both run by smaller companies. UO died when EA took over it. hopefully no one does that to EVE.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidS
@TotalEklypse:
Eve used to have staged events envoloving paid employees and the user base to create story driven content. They did away with it to avoid any favouritisim claims between the GM's and major alliances. I'm talking 2+ years ago at least...
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@MrJared said:
" This is basically what The Matrix Online did on an almost nightly basis for the first 3-4 months of its launch. Live actors playing the roles of the main characters of the series to interact with the best factions (not even the highest ranking or most powerful factions on the servers) in order to create live events and quests.   And yes, it was awesome. "
This.  Matrix Online had many failings, but in terms of exposition, character driven plot(s) and player choice driven story flow it remains unbeaten.  Blizzard could learn a lot from what The Matrix Online attempted to do.  So could Cryptic.  Neither will though because people still join their games despite how entirely limited they may be.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Astras
@LiquidS: Yea, i totally forgot about that ... I was in that system when the Jovian embassidor turned up in 2006.. i think possibly new caldari, if I remember the system. He got destroyed, was pretty crazy in local chat, everyone was trashing Jovians :P
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Kyreo

if they can they aren't Non Player Characters now are they?

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidS
@Astras:
Ya, there were also things reported in the news like " XXX corp destroys Caldari Convoy" where CEO's were contacted to get a gang together and head to a system, warp to a GM or beacon and there would be some NPC's to kill. Think it all ended around the same time t20 happened as it was becoming more and more public that there was an "old boys club" culture within the game.