Is it time to start talking GOTY?

• 134 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With no Watchdogs and lunch games of new consoles never really being that great, is it time to start talking game of the year? The last big game of the year still to come being assassin's creed 4. I personally think it looks awesome, but like 70% of people seem to be burnt out on it. 2013 oddest year in videogames ever, when it seems like the goty can happen in October.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EXTomar

Not really but that is how I always feel.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Not yet. There are still plenty of games coming.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: is there anything interesting still coming out that's not a new console game?

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@hailinel: is there anything interesting still coming out that's not a new console game?

...I don't understand the question? "Anything interesting that's not a new console game" basically discounts every single new release between now and the end of the year, from Assassin's Creed IV and Super Mario 3D Land to Contrast and Call of Duty. There's also A Link Between Worlds coming on 3DS and probably some other games I'm failing to think of right now on handhelds.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Seriously doubt that a game coming out this year would go above The Last of Us for me, but never say never.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

For me personally, all the games that I would pick for GOTY already came out. I don't really see anything on the horizon that will be that good. But I might be wrong.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@hailinel said:

@jz said:

...I don't understand the question? "Anything interesting that's not a new console game" basically discounts every single new release between now and the end of the year, from Assassin's Creed IV and Super Mario 3D Land to Contrast and Call of Duty. There's also A Link Between Worlds coming on 3DS and probably some other games I'm failing to think of right now on handhelds.

In addition to that, most of the time GOTY debates include a few games that no one really expected to be all that great, like Sleeping Dogs and Far Cry 3.

We can start talking about GOTY's in December. You know, at the end of the year.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

GTA V...bank on it. It is spectacular. The Last of Us was grand but failed in the final exam. The bell curve should bring in some extras. But they're for beauty of play and other things only.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers! I haven't seen 10 games yet that can beat it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Capum15

Mine was settled about...10~ minutes into Saints Row 4.

Because nothing has topped the sheer happiness I had playing that intro. And then it just kept going.

Pokemon has come close though, just going on joy alone. I think GTA V would be my third.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

It's worth talking about in so far as to make sure you've played everything so far so you can talk about it in December/January

I made a list of everything I think has a chance of being mentioned.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/kidavenger/lists/game-of-the-year-2013-contenders/86446

There are still a lot of contenders coming out even for current gen systems.

I personally think Bioshock Infinite is the front runner right now, not my personal pick, but I think it's the one most will get behind.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: well new console games only count if your going to get one. I'll be the most surprised I've ever been if ryse or killzone have any goty traction. Infamous 2nd son now that's probably going to have some serious goty traction.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@jz said:

@hailinel: well new console games only count if your going to get one. I'll be the most surprised I've ever been if ryse or killzone have any goty traction. Infamous 2nd son now that's probably going to have some serious goty traction.

Oh, you mean games for the new consoles. Not new console games. Either way, they're still worth waiting for consideration.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JZ

I've play a lot of games, but I've only had the "oh my god I love this and wanna play this till I drop" 4 times so far this year: tomb raider, sp blacklist, saints row 4, fire emblem awakening.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please, don't make this like the presidential election, starting earlier every time. Let us wait til the end of the year, as proper decorum dictates.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Batman ,Call of Duty,AC4 I have zero interest in so my list is complete. GTA V is by far the best thing this year and for my money one of the top 5 of the generation. 100 hours in single player a hundred and going in GTAO Ill be playing this game for a very long time.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: Yeah all of the games you mentioned will probably be talked about in some capacity.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What discussion? The Stanley Parable's a shoe-in.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Hunter5024

My plan is to publish my top ten list on the 31st just like last year, ensuring that the community ignores it because they've been reading lists since the end of November and they're sick of it. Plus people need time to play all the games they missed, and there's still important games coming out. Assassins Creed, Batman, Mario, Zelda, all of these franchises are Game of The Year contenders, even if people aren't interested in these particular entries, so they're worth paying attention to.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I can't think of any upcoming 2013 games that I genuinely believe will be in my top 10. There's a chance that there will be surprises, but I still need to finish a bunch of games from earlier this year. I am definitely looking forward to people's end of year lists.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By pr1mus

For my own personal taste the year almost ended with The Last of Us and truly ended with GTA V.

But realistically there are still enough games that could be contenders coming out, especially if we are talking about the GB crew since none of the more likely candidates so far really blew them away the way some past winners did.

And what's odd about a game of the year coming out in October or before anyway? That's just nonsense. Look at past GB goty and some of their closest contenders. Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, Uncharted 2, XCOM, Arkham Asylum, MGS4, Red Dead Redemption, StarCraft 2, TWD. None came out in November or December.

In fact the only year i can think of it 2011 with Skyrim and Saints Row 3.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it already probably is GTA V. There's only...well, Batman coming out next week and that could be a great game, but very likely nowhere near as good as GTA. Not much interest towards AC IV which probably is the one other current-gen candidate besides Batman.

Of PS4 games, I'll highly doubt that Killzone - Shadow Fall proves out to be anything spectacular...I'd happily be proven wrong, though!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigjeffrey
No Caption Provided

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I still don't know what my GOTY is yet. Last year it was clearly the Walking Dead but this year I have yet to play a game to wow me as much as my 2012 pick. I played both the Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite but, the more I think back on them, the less appealing they seem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5795208dd66f3
deactivated-5795208dd66f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nothing really sticks out to me this year honestly. I didn't bother picking up GTA V since the setting doesn't interest me at all (and that's what I play GTA games for). I'm not really into traditional JRPGs so I skipped on Ni No Kuni. I played a bit of The Last of Us but the story bored me, I didn't enjoy the gunplay (same for Uncharted) and I thought it dragged a lot in the beginning. Bioshock Infinite just doesn't look appealing to me at all; I'm not sure why that got the hype and the scores it did. Aside from the visual aesthetics it doesn't look all that unique to me.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Personally, I can think of four games that have the potential to end up on my list. Batman, Assassin's Creed, Tearaway and South Park. That being said, I could end up really surprised by something I wasn't expecting, like Knack or something, so I usually try to wait until everything is out before I really start thinking about it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A few more months before I think it's time for the talk.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides Tearaway, nothing coming out seems very interesting. There's still a couple games I want to play through like Puppeteer, Ni No Kuni & Brothers (Off the top of my head) but for the most part, I've played most of what I want to play.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I feel like we can wait a bit more but this year seems a bit dominated by primarily a few games. I'm hoping Arkham Origins lives up to the hype and I have yet to play a few others like The Last of Us and complete GTA V. I heard Brothers was absolutely magnificent. If we're counting it though, my vote goes to Far Cry 3.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game of the year was over in June for me. The Last of Us is my clear pick, it's really not even close.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There can still potentially be 9 games better than that this year. It's only guaranteed to be in the top 10.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@deranged: far cry 3 came out last year.

But Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon did come out this year.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Usually I would say that before November is too early to talk about GOTY but I'm really not seeing much anything coming out this year that is exciting me.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BRich

Bioshock will top GTA5 in Giantbomb's GOTY debates. It won't really be that close with Vinny and Brad not really into GTA much at all. Only other mentions will be Brothers and Dota 2 (Brad), Forza, The Stanley Parable, Year Walk, Gone Home, Saint's Row, Tomb Raider, and The Wolf Among Us (if it's even eligible in a half released state). The Last of Us gets a little mention, but none of the guys seemed into it, except Patrick who wrote the review.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hailinel said:

@jz said:

@deranged: far cry 3 came out last year.

But Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon did come out this year.

Bullocks, I thought we could count it since it essentially came out a few days before the new year :(

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I guess hoping for talk about Metal Gear Rising is too much? :(

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JZ

@deranged: didn't far cry 3 get like 3rd place on the 10 goty list last year?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already? you're insane.
What's next? Christmas commercials on TV and... oh wait they started those last month.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Spoilers: It doesn't matter which game is game of the year, particularly if you already played it before it wins the award.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

I guess hoping for talk about Metal Gear Rising is too much? :(

I finally started playing that today. Absolutely bonkers.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hailinel: Yay! I really wan't more people to give it a shot, such a fun little thing.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: sam is character of the year easy, he so damn cool.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOTY is The Stanley Parable.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey:

Brad Shoemaker: He really likes short games.
Brad Shoemaker: He really likes short games.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

There's still two or so months left this year so we really shouldn't debate GOTY stuff until at least middle of December. Still, looking at the release calendar, there isn't much stuff that I'm really looking forward to—especially after Watch Dogs got delayed. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag looks cool, and some other games have potential to be awesome but... I dunno. I don't think anything will be better than GTA V, The Last of Us, or BioShock Infinite.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Three words:

Batman Arkham Origins