#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I spend a great deal of my time playing retro games, I have a SNES, N64, PS1 and PS2. Despite all of these old consoles I just have one TV, it's just a standard 23 inch HD TV. I know that retro games do not look as nice on HD TV's as they do on old TV's. But how much nicer does it look on a old TV, is it a big noticeable difference?

#2 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

im sure if you look through the local paper people wil bel giving old CRT TV away free if you go pick it up. or very chepa at least.

if you play alot of old game then sure. i wouldn't as i have no time for old retro game and had my fill of them when i was younger so it would not be worth it to me.

older CRT's have a lower resolution and slightly blur the image so the dog shit resolutions of older hardware does't look so bad as it does on a moden TV.

#3 Posted by SharkEthic (945 posts) -

I have an old ass TV sitting in my garage. You can totally have it if you come pick that shit up.

#4 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

It honestly depends on your tolerance for blur when you're dealing with a standard composite connection. But if you have, say, a top-loader NES that only has an RF connecter or anything of that ilk? You pretty much need a standard def tv otherwise you have these hideous lines going down your games.

#5 Posted by NTM (7032 posts) -

Eh, don't waste the money.

#6 Posted by Darkstalker (431 posts) -

ps1 and up you really don't need a crt. I've tried to paly NES games on my plasma screen and it wasn't the best though

#7 Posted by mtcantor (922 posts) -

Just go to any local thrift store. Chances are there will be a ton for $20 and under.

#8 Posted by Masha2932 (1237 posts) -

Get one, I'm sure they are dirt cheap by now. You can even get some for free at garage sales. So it's worth it if you have the space in your room/house

#9 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I looked for a while for a decent one, finally getting one from my grandma to play PS1 games with. It's the way to go for full nostalgia.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6059 posts) -

You can buy a crt for like, a tenner? Just do it.

#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

@Hizang: I'd recommend getting a 27" SD TV with a S-Video port on the back for the retro consoles that make use of such a cord. In fact, I'm selling an extra SD TV without the S-Video port for $20. Check Craigslist, Goodwill or St. Vinny's.

#12 Posted by dannye812 (11 posts) -

Totally worth for all your 8 & 16 bit stuff. I bought a really nice Samsung for 15 at GW a while back. Games look great on it. Try to find one with S-video if possible and invest in a three in one s-video cable.

#13 Posted by stinky (1545 posts) -

less blurry, so you can see the blockiness better.

dont you have issues sitting on your ass, maybe you can should something else to do besides games.

#14 Posted by IllegalizePelvicThrusts (14 posts) -

For the PS2, I recommend using a PS3 component cable. I have a non-slim PS2 and the PS3 cable works perfectly. Your other systems might support S-Video out, which might look good enough on your TV.

I highly recommend getting an old TV if you're going to be playing lots of NES or Genesis games. An old TV makes a huge difference with those two systems. And it's downright essential if you want to use RF. For newer systems (like the ones you listed), it's less of a big deal.

#15 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

I got the CRT TV from my uncle after he passed away. It's the greatest thing for using retro consoles with. It only has a RF coax on the back and 1 speaker (mono) in the front. BUT IT'S HUGE! It's totally worth it.

#16 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

I got mine from the side of the road, it was just sitting there with a label on saying take me, so I did. Awesome for Mega Drive sessions.

#17 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

It's totally worth it for non HD 3D consoles, but I still think that NES-sprites for example look good on a LCD-TV. But CRT's look the best and you can probably get one of those for free if you pick it up.

#18 Posted by killacam (1282 posts) -

at least you're just using a 23-inch HDTV. my 22 seems relatively fine with the old stuff.

#19 Posted by RenMcKormack (1071 posts) -

Yes. However, finding one will be more and more difficult as time goes on. unless you can get one from craigslist or a yardsale or something.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

No, a good plasma all the way for SD content.

The difference between plasma and LCD for SD content is gigantic.

#21 Posted by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

I would, IMO retro consoles don't look very good on HDTV. You'll also alleviate any input latency you may or may not be experiencing.

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Not necessary, but nice if you have the room.

To the guy who said don't spend the money -- duh! CRTs are free now, aren't they?

#23 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Another thing to consider is if I get one I'd have to keep switching TV's round, seeing as there is not enough room on my desk for a CRTV, a HD TV and an 23 inch iMac.

#24 Edited by Maginnovision (481 posts) -

I've got an old 32" magnavox, but I honestly don't use it for old games. I actually have it in my room hooked up to a bluray player, haha. Old games all look fine on my 25" monitor, 46" tv, 24" monitor, 22" monitor, or 24" ps tv. So I don't know, I guess I'm not as sensitive as you all about that stuff. I actually have spent a bit of money to connect older stuff to modern displays. Mainly I like my dreamcast though I do play older things.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

The local used game story here has old TVs that they give you a discount on if you get it with a retro console. It seems like a weird idea at first but apparently it's because so many people demanded it.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

I got mine from the side of the road, it was just sitting there with a label on saying take me, so I did. Awesome for Mega Drive sessions.

I got a TV plus a NES with two controller and a zapper like this.

#27 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

Buying a CRT now at Goodwill will set you back less then $20.   I keep one around with a Genesis hooked up for drunken games of Mutant League Football and other not murderous sports titles.  Sports games and my friends and I parted ways when they started adding polygons.

#28 Edited by aquamarin (553 posts) -

If you own a house I would say yes. To me a screen appropiate to how the game would be originally experienced has become something that has renewed my interest in games I would otherwise never play again. Playing Contra? I want a curved CRT with washed out colors and wood accents. GTA III? Gimme a Sony Trinitron flat screened crt. If you move around a lot. No. Why would you want to move those old ass tvs around.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

If you want then sure. I have my NES and N64 hooked up to a CRT right now and I honestly don't think it's worth the space it takes up.

#30 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

Since it won't be your main TV, get a 20 - 25 inch CRT. They're like 50 bucks max.

#31 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Hizang: They're pretty cheap, and the nostalgia factor is huge. Buying an old TV may actually make some difference regarding to graphics and such, but most of the time, it's pretty small stuff. In fact, i bought mine not because of the graphical changes, but to get the NES Zapper games to work.
Since you say you don't have much space, buy a small TV, it's even cheaper. And it's not hard to switch the TV's. I say GO FOR IT!
#32 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Only worth buying an old TV for lightgun games. Unless your HDTV is ass at displaying SD content, in which case I'd say get a better HDTV to begin with.

#33 Posted by Ubersmake (753 posts) -

I think it's worth it *if* you have the space. I'd get one just so I can play lightgun games again, but I don't have the room for one.

#34 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

I saw an old TV sat on the side of the road the other day.

#35 Posted by mtcantor (922 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

You should have given him a ride. It's hot out.

#36 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (510 posts) -

Personally, I wouldn't because I value the space in my apartment, but if its important to you then go for it. As people have said you can usually get one for free if you go pick it up. I would go with something kinda smallish though if you have to move it around a lot. Those big tube tv's can get heavy as shit.

#37 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

You should have given him a ride. It's hot out.

I see what you did there.

#38 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

@Cubical said:

use a fucking HDTV CRT Your crap console games only run at 720p or under 99% of the time anyway and they do fucking 720p with ease and better than a fucking LCD and run interlaced old stuff just fine.,

http://www.vengefulsoda.com/newtv_part3-2.jpg

Like sony long line of xbr CRTs like the XBR960

http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/sony-kd-34xbr960/1707-6481_7-30787600.html

problem solved now go away. I fucking use this TV and i can use the fucking NES zapper and super scope on it too.

OH and the fact people think CRT are not HD just goes to show How fucking cluelss people are about HDTV and displays since the first HDTV was CRT computer monitors gutted and turned into a TV and they have been trying to match CRT computer monitors in performance on LCD plasma monitors ever since they came out.

Being really hostile, man.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

@bartok said:

Buying a CRT now at Goodwill will set you back less then $20. I keep one around with a Genesis hooked up for drunken games of Mutant League Football and other not murderous sports titles. Sports games and my friends and I parted ways when they started adding polygons.

You know what, funny thing: I used to love the cartoon back in the 90's, but I never knew there were Mutant League games until someone mentioned it in the podcast some weeks ago. Exactly the opposite as Jeff. Weird.

Also, on topic. While it's not needed, I think that if you're trying to recapture the "feeling" of playing old consoles, an LCD or plasma display is not the best option. Sure, you will be able play your games on those, but a CRT just "goes better" with the overall theme. If you don't mind the anachronism or just don't care about "recreating" the experience of playing a game like when it was released, go with a modern TV.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I spend a great deal of my time playing retro games, I have a SNES, N64, PS1 and PS2. Despite all of these old consoles I just have one TV, it's just a standard 23 inch HD TV. I know that retro games do not look as nice on HD TV's as they do on old TV's. But how much nicer does it look on a old TV, is it a big noticeable difference?

I recommend instead that you get the SLG-3000 scanline generator. You connect it between your console's output and the input on the TV. It generates scanlines for the LCD so that it looks a lot closer to what a CRT TV would look like, only much sharper and clearer and a lot more convenient too.