Is it worth upgrading from a DS lite to a DSI XL?

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I have had a DS for a while now. The truth is that i haven't played it much, but this is mainly because i have always had my xbox 360 or PS3 to play and i rarely get the chance to play on my DS out of the house, in addition to this i have to admit that as innovative as the DS was, i always found the screen slightly too small.

Soon i will be moving away, but due to the distance i will not be able to take my xbox or ps3, and so i finally get a chance to play my DS and catch up on my back catalogue of games that i have been meaning and wanting to play. My question is, is it worth it? I mean, the resale value of my DS lite won't be much, but i also have the sale of my Xbox 360 as funding, but overall would it be worth selling my DS lite to buy a DSi XL? Or would the upgrade be too subjective to make a solid argument?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Not unless you really want a bigger screen

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TheHBK

Why can't you take your 360 or PS3 with you again?  I don't get how moving means you have to sell your 360.
As for the DSXL, no not worth it.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I mean, for me the camera is a throwaway feature; i have an amazing camera anway and don't really need to take pictures of myself with funny hats on, but I am really interested by the larger screen considering it's 150% the size of the DS lite screen. Does the larger screen make for a better picture though, or does it just it grainy? I would like to know if the larger screen is good though, especially as that's the thing i am interested in the most.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool

If this site was easy to navigate, this would be on the DS Forum. 

Only if you really like the idea of the larger screens and money isn't an issue.  You will still get fun from the DS.  I personally am getting an XL as I like the idea of seeing my favourite games in a larger format, but it isn't essential.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scarace360

no its not.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Brunchies

Its not worth it unless you want a bigger screen by a couple of inches. 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

Not really. 
If you had an original DS, then I'd endorse it, but the Lite is extremely serviceable.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Right, so the general consensus is that i should just stick with my DS lite. Great, i will just put the money towards buying some DS game i have missed out on. 
Old school, i agree with you there. I don't know whether i am too impatient or am just clicking on the wrong buttons, but i can't seem to find a DS forum. Maybe it's just me.

Oh, and the reason i selling my Xbox 360 and PS3 is because i am moving to another country and a 6000 mile trip would scare my consoles in the baggage compartment, so i thought it would be easier for all if i gave them a new home, although my PS3 has been flashing me the red light recently, so i might just have to take that out behind the shed and put it down.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

If you don't care about the extra DSi features, stick if you DS Lite then.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xMP44x

I would keep the DS Lite. It has the GBA port, which increases the size of the game library. Plus, the screen isn't that small. It's big enough to see. And the DSi XL is like the Madden series. Nintendo will keep making a variant of an original idea each year. Next year: the DS-X. All the stuff you love about the DSi XL, except it now has <insert feature here>.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@BR4DL3I9H said:
" I mean, for me the camera is a throwaway feature; i have an amazing camera anway and don't really need to take pictures of myself with funny hats on, but I am really interested by the larger screen considering it's 150% the size of the DS lite screen. Does the larger screen make for a better picture though, or does it just it grainy? I would like to know if the larger screen is good though, especially as that's the thing i am interested in the most. "
The resolution is exactly the same. It is just blown up on the XL
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Hell no.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
@BR4DL3I9H said:
" Right, so the general consensus is that i should just stick with my DS lite. Great, i will just put the money towards buying some DS game i have missed out on.  Old school, i agree with you there. I don't know whether i am too impatient or am just clicking on the wrong buttons, but i can't seem to find a DS forum. Maybe it's just me. Oh, and the reason i selling my Xbox 360 and PS3 is because i am moving to another country and a 6000 mile trip would scare my consoles in the baggage compartment, so i thought it would be easier for all if i gave them a new home, although my PS3 has been flashing me the red light recently, so i might just have to take that out behind the shed and put it down. "
So you are going from a NTSC to PAL country (or vice versa)?  Care to share on that experience?  Changing country is a big life change.
BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Well, i am not going to buy a 360 or ps3 when i get there. I have decided to avoid home consoles,  so that way in a year or so i will have a huge catalogue of games to catch up on, and yeah, it's going to be a huge life change; new country, new language, new food.....an experience i am looking forward to.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I would say no, because there's now rumors going around of a DS2. And if you think about it, this year would be the perfect time to release it. The DS is almost 6 years old (hard to believe). Some people say the DS is selling well and Nintendo wouldn't release another handheld so soon, but that is faulty logic imo. You don't want to release new hardware when the momentum on your old one has diminished. You need to keep the momentum going. 

Also, here's a link to one of the sources. This may or may not be true, but some of the upgrades mentioned are pretty nice. I would buy it.  

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Belonpopo

I hate the DSi XL it's not good.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Qorious

Don't really see the point of the DSi. The screen is too large and will pixelate your games. You should get the DSi XL only if you have really bad eyesight. The DS Lite and regular DSi is a perfect size for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

not unless your overweight, even then. NO