Is Jade Raymond just an industry Pin-Up girl used to drive sales?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ballblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ballblaster

Since the first time I saw a photo of the sexy Jade Raymond, I'd always thought... Come on, there are so few female game producers and most of them know jack all about videogames. They were most likely hired to fulfill some affirmitive action HR bullshit. The only one I know of that bucks this trend is Christina Norman of Bioware. She's not some young vixen or booth babe mouthpiece. She knows what she's talking about in interviews and doesn't sound like she's reading everything off a teleprompter.

While I won't post the comic in the forum, I will provide this LINKto the controversial Jade Raymond comic strip.

Would you like more publishers to objectify women who have little to do with the industry in the hopes of garnering more female participation in the industry? And if so, would you prefer "real" women as opposed to the gaming geeks wet dream?

No Caption Provided
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

No, she was a lead on Assassin's Creed, meaning she was in the forefront when that game was being discussed in interviews and what not. Haven't even seen much of her since Assassin's Creed.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By endaround

Welcome to 2008

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#4  Edited By Valkyr

She is not sexy, she looks like a ghoul

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Last time I saw her was on the back of a milk carton.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Beb

This is a bad thread and you should feel bad.

The comic you linked is deplorable. It seems like the message here is that a woman can't be a good video game designer if she seems attractive? Jade is not a "real" woman?

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Dogma

That is a downright horrible comic. And what is the problem? She is clearly an educated person that has been in a producer role for a bunch of diffrent games. in many cases the producer/manager tends to be a better mouth piece than a director or developer, at least before more and more people in the industry got PR training or just stepped forward. In Assassin's Creeds case Patrice Désilet got in a background but that can also be because he self wanted it that way. Jade was the best mouth piece at the moment for the game so what's the harm? But do understand the difference between a manager and a creative director. And now she seems to be very high up in the manager ranks so that's why we don't see her no more.

But that comic.....urgh...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

This is all pretty disgusting.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Shady

Isn't she like the head of Ubisoft Montreal now?

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@ballblaster said:

She's not some young vixen

What? What exactly constitutes "some young vixen"?

This thread seems more based on whatever issues you have than reality.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Nubster

She is attractive, so therefore not allowed to be talented? I think you should handle whatever issues you have with females before trying to do anything with yourself, because, believe it or not, attractive women can think and stuff too!

ballblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ballblaster

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

@ballblaster said:

She's not some young vixen

What? What exactly constitutes "some young vixen"?

This thread seems more based on whatever issues you have than reality.

I'm just throwing out the discussion to everyone. I'm not making any statement one way or the other.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By UltorOscariot

I don't think Ubisoft would be dumb enough to put some brainless trophy in charge of their Montreal studio, but I do remember looking up the titles she worked on before she was promoted, and thinking it was incredibly thin before Assassin's Creed. I think she worked on The Sims Online and a few other throw away titles. Maybe she's dynamite with leadership and administration..

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ozzdog12

@ballblaster: Amy Hennig is not young nor attractive, but she knows what she is doing in the industry(Legacy of Kain/Uncharted series)

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phish09

And the Most Sexist/Socially Awkward GB thread of the day goes to....

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Buscemi
@UltorOscariot: Oh I think they could, because they're pretty damn stupid.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

@Valkyr said:

She is not sexy, she looks like a ghoul

Asshole.

@ballblaster:

As for Jade as a professional, I have no idea what she is like in the work place and how much she actually does and doesn't do. It sounds very cynical to think she is just a 'pin-up' girl though. Also it's very sexist.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

That comic made a statement alright. I could care less if she's hot or a dog faced gremlim. Just make good games and I'll be happy.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By I_smell

Unless one of us works at Ubisoft, we don't have a clue what kind of work she does over there, you complete fucking idiot.

Also yeah:

@Valkyr said:

She is not sexy

She is not sexy.

And by the way the producer on Uncharted 3 is a woman, she's on 4 episodes of Bonus Round.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Buscemi

Wow, the hate that was born out of the comments in this thread. If the guy thinks she looks like a ghoul, who the hell cares? Don't take offense, is she your girlfriend? Jesus. Some people like ghouls and some like dog-faced gremlins. Just take it easy.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

No

ballblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ballblaster

I find it a bit funny how some of you holier-than-thou claim ourage, yet she had virtually nothing to her name prior to Assassin's Creed (and contrary to your believe, it was Patrice who drove that game, NOT Jade), and now all of a sudden she's the studio director for Ubisoft Toronto. Care to explain that, when industry stalwarts like CliffyB, Ken Levine, etc. had to claw their way up the chain over decades? I'm sure Yves Gulliemont knows the real answer.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By JasonR86

@ballblaster said:

I find it a bit funny how some of you holier-than-thou claim ourage, yet she had virtually nothing to her name prior to Assassin's Creed (and contrary to your believe, it was Patrice who drove that game, NOT Jade), and now all of a sudden she's the studio director for Ubisoft Toronto. Care to explain that, when industry stalwarts like CliffyB, Ken Levine, etc. had to claw their way up the chain over decades? I'm sure Yves Gulliemont knows the real answer.

I thought you said earlier that you were just throwing this topic out there and not taking a stance one way or another? Bottom line is that all we can do is speculate because we don't work at Ubisoft. Any speculation that says 'she didn't deserve her current placement' just reveals a sexists and cynical attitude.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dogma

Why is it so wierd that she is Managing Director at Ubisoft Toronto now? She has clearly chosen a different path then a game developer that have more love for gamedesign and developement rather than managing and business. She is in short a business woman, and apperantly (and hopefully) she's good at it.

ballblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ballblaster

@JasonR86 said:

@ballblaster said:

I thought you said earlier that you were just throwing this topic out there and not taking a stance one way or another? Bottom line is that all we can do is speculate because we don't work at Ubisoft. Any speculation that says 'she didn't deserve her current placement' just reveals a sexists and cynical attitude.

But don't you think Felicia Day has more credibility to work in the industry?

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By babblinmule

Well my faith in humanity just dropped a couple of notches....

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jack268

uguu

lol'd 

And I haven't heard of her since Asscreed 1, but back then I did think it was odd how so much focus was being put on her instead of the game. At least, that's what it felt like.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

"A sexy lady runs the studio that made this game so I'm gonna buy it!"

Are you people fucking stupid?!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

That comic is fucking disgusting on so many levels. The creator should never draw again

TrackZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TrackZero

@Shady: Ubisoft Toronto actually. Also yes, this thread is horrible.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

I don't think so, but man, I totally forgot she existed until right about now.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By largo6661

Wow really? this is a thread? wow kind of dumb

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By N7
@ozzdog12 said:

@ballblaster: Amy Hennig is not attractive

Hey man, speak for yourself.

Also, I don't want to be in this thread anymore. I feel dirty and cheap all of a sudden. 

That comic was way not cool.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By JoeyRavn

I had no idea who she was before the OP created this thread and, frankly, I couldn't care any less about this whole situation. She's just another person who makes video games, no better, no worse.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlinkyTM

Who's that?

WTF is up with that comic?! A little warning would have been nice!

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fozimuth

What kind of idiot buys a game because it has a female producer? If Ubisoft ever thought that would work, they didn't after the first Assassin's Creed, because she wasn't often seen after that.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BonOrbitz

Personally, I always wondered myself if she was just a pretty face for Assassin's Creed because I never got a clear sense of what she did behind the scenes. Also, I've always have the perception that Ubisoft has a history of using uber-attractive people to show off their games. I also have the perception that the comic the OP linked is pretty shitty.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@ballblaster

@JasonR86 said:

@ballblaster said:

No. Just because Felicia Day is an avid video game player, doesn't mean she knows jack shit about the development or business side of the industry. Just because a woman is attractive doesn't mean they don't know how to work an honest job.
AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlexanderSheen
No Caption Provided
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Julmust

Great thread guys!

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Of course, because we all know a semi attractive woman couldn't possibly hold a high position in a nerd driven industry based on her qualifications and merit alone.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By imhungry

Aren't you the Gersztmann guy?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloudenvy

@ballblaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@ballblaster said:

Fuck. No.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By sickVisionz

Hmm, you sound like a hater to me. I'm not buying the premise that she is mildly attractive therefore she can't have any skills or talents other than looks. If they just wanted a hot looking chick to parade their games they could have found way better looking and younger women than her.

@ballblaster said:

Since the first time I saw a photo of the sexy Jade Raymond, I'd always thought... Come on, there are so few female game producers and most of them know jack all about videogames. They were most likely hired to fulfill some affirmitive action HR bullshit.

SMH at people's complete lack of understanding on what affirmative action is.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By dagas

@ballblaster said:

Since the first time I saw a photo of the sexy Jade Raymond, I'd always thought... Come on, there are so few female game producers and most of them know jack all about videogames. They were most likely hired to fulfill some affirmitive action HR bullshit.

If you were talking about female presenters in video game shows maybe, but most females who make games I've seen interviews on seem to know as much as the men about video games. Also it is a very common fallacy that a hot woman must be stupid. You can be ugly and stupid or hot and smart, one does not exclude the other.

I'll take this oppurtunity to give a shout out to Reiko Kodama, one of my favorite video game producers and the person behind some of the best Phantasy Star games as well as the Dreamcast classic Skies of Arcadia.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jetsetwillie

@ballblaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@ballblaster said:

based on what. a comic written by a 9 years old?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Slaker117

This is gross.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By RobertOrri

Oh my god your threads are all terrible

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Crash_Happy

@ballblaster: But yeah you did. You said that you assume it's some "...HR bullshit" etc. People are reacting to what you are saying.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@ballblaster: You're a misogynist and a cunt. Here is why.

Jade Raymond was not the creative brains behind Assassin's Creed, but she was the producer of that game. She is a very big reason as to why that franchise we all love has even gotten a first release. The fact that everyone treats her like she's some kind of fap-trap (because she's attractive, duh) is disgusting, deplorable, and as far as I'm concerned, a healthy reason to avoid gamers like the plague. This kind of attitude is what disgusts me. Jade Raymond was the face of Assassin's Creed because A) she had a huge hand in getting it made and B) Patrice Desilets could not, at the time, speak in front of a fucking camera. He was worse than Rorie is now, or how Brad Shoemaker was a couple years ago. They needed someone who knew the product, who lived the product, and could talk. They got Jade.

Also this whole "Christina Norman is fugly so she obviously knows what she's talking about!" angle is disgusting. That is exactly what you meant by "she's not some sexy young vixen" isn't it? She's a middle aged woman who isn't attractive and is kinda fat. She looks like you, so she must obviously know what she's talking about, right?

Even if that wasn't your intention, the connotations of what you said made it sound even worse. Christina Norman is a great hand at gfame design. The fact that she has a birth canal shouldn't sway someones opinion in one way or the other. She's damn good at her job, and so is Jade Raymond.