• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ballblaster (75 posts) -

In the New New Xbox Dashboard quick look Gerstmann seems to pooh pooh the new Dashboard. He doesn't hate on it, but what I found disturbing is every game journo knew from day one that Microsoft's goal with the Fall Update was to bring full Kinect Integration into the dashboard. How can you possibly ignore the #1 goal for the Fall Update? "Oh yeah it adds some Kinect stuff if you're 'into that'"........ You know, the 11 million people with Kinects might want to actually see how the highly touted Bing Kinect functionality works at the very least. Can we not be realistic and admit that MS wants to sell Kinects to the other 40 million Xbox 360 owners, and that this update is to give a little more reason to do that? Regardless of your stance on the Kinect, there's no good excuse for him to have not plugged a Kinect into the box to test some of the new features out. It's not like they don't have one.

#2 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -

There was just a topic here the other day about how the crew hates on the PS3.

What is happening.

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I don't really get what new features they needed to show off with Kinect? they showed all the new features off with a controller and they mentioned that it is now all Kinect compatible.

What more really needs to be said? D:

#4 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

Cant tell if title is a joke or you are just stupid.

#5 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@N7 said:

There was just a topic here the other day about how the crew hates on the PS3. What is happening.

Obviously the Giant Bomb crew hates video games duh.

I don't mind them hating PS3.

#6 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

"Xbox - Bing - Star Trek"

#7 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

You seem to ignore the fact that, for there to be bias, there must be a pattern of unfairness. I see no such pattern.

#8 Posted by StriderNo9 (1144 posts) -

Spend any time listening to Jeff on the Bombcast and it's obvious he isn't very excitable. He keeps a level head about almost every game or feature he encounters. Which I can appreciate most of the time, since it's a nice change from other journalist who sometimes act like screaming children when they have a shiny new game or kit in front of them. I do think Jeff sometimes is purposefully championing the most obscure games he can find but I just chalk it up to his personality. I mean the guy proudly admits to never seeing Dark Knight or anything related to Lord of the Rings, lol. He just isn't a fan of Kinect, so while I would have like to see that stuff also, I get why they didn't bother.

#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4743 posts) -

All I ask is that a user successfully make a 100 posts before they're allowed to make their own thread...

#10 Posted by Wadawoodo (76 posts) -

WIll people please lean the meaning of the word bias.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

Yes. Against fighting game franchises that began after 1996 and things that are not Trackmania.

#12 Edited by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

Anyone using kinect for the dashboard is a crazy person.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Is Jeff biased against garbage we don't want or need? God damn it, I certainly hope so.

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

All the menus use kinect, no separate dash, just hover and select or you can say what you see to access it.

#15 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Jaded? Of course. Bias? I don't think so Lucy...

#16 Posted by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

What would you have learned if jeff plugged in a kinect and then started saying " xbox next" "xbox previous" "xbox netflix" " xbox play game".  Nothing.

#17 Edited by ballblaster (75 posts) -

@bigsmoke77 One of the things that Gerstmann complained about was having to use the controller to "type" queries into the movie searches. Kinect was specifically integrated into the dash for this very reason. Microsoft spent a lot of time getting the voice recognition down in the dash to do these somewhat sophisticated queries. To pretend this isn't a significant thing is to do a review on the new iPhone and complete ignore SIRI, and basically say its the same as the old one.

#18 Posted by StriderNo9 (1144 posts) -

Well, I wouldn't crucify the guy for wanting to see the Kinect integration. You may not have found it useful but obviously he wanted to see how well it worked and responsive swiping to different tiles is. I just think it's silly to wonder if Jeff is bias for something as inconsequential as this.

#19 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@ballblaster: You keep calling Jeff as "Gersztmann", so... who is biased now?

P.S.: Your avatar is gross.

#20 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@ballblaster said:
@bigsmoke77 One of the things that the Gersztmann complained about was having to use the controller to "type" queries into the movie searches. Kinect was specifically integrated into the dash for this very reason. Microsoft spent a lot of time getting the voice recognition down in the dash to do these somewhat sophisticated queries. To pretend this isn't a significant thing is to do a review on the new iPhone and complete ignore SIRI, and basically say its the same as the old one.
Why the fuck do you keep calling him Gersztmann?
#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5694 posts) -

Short answer: no, but you make a decent point and he probably should've covered that in the Quick Look.

#22 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

So yesterday the topic of the day was about how Giant Bomb is biased against PlayStation users. Today Jeff is biased against the Xbox. I'm eagerly awaiting someone to post about how biased they are against Nintendo tomorrow.

#23 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@MattyFTM: I heard Ryan hates the SNES. So here you go. I started it. You're welcome.

#24 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

This topic is really ironic considering Jeff plays mainly on Xbox 360 over any other platform. He has his preferences, and people seem to forget that those preferences aren't yours and they aren't supposed to be.

#25 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Dude, totally. You're right.

#26 Posted by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

So yesterday the topic of the day was about how Giant Bomb is biased against PlayStation users. Today Jeff is biased against the Xbox. I'm eagerly awaiting someone to post about how biased they are against Nintendo tomorrow.

Mario Kart 7.

Also, I wish OP was around during the Matt Kessler hate days ,"Is Kessler annoy?"

#27 Posted by Akeldama (4255 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Is Jeff biased against garbage we don't want or need? God damn it, I certainly hope so.

nailed it.

#28 Posted by Mystyr_E (1205 posts) -

next up: found out how Vinny is biased against the word "bias"

#29 Posted by ballblaster (75 posts) -

I never said he was bias against the Xbox, I am talking about the Kinect specifically. He omitted 75% of what the point of the new new dash was, then complained about things that the Kinect would mitigate. If he dislikes the Kinect that much, then Ryan Davis should have done this QL... That's all I'm saying.

#30 Posted by wewantsthering (1586 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

Anyone using kinect for the dashboard is a crazy person.

Actually it works pretty well.

#31 Edited by RobertOrri (1151 posts) -

So cool, you guys!

@N7 said:

There was just a topic here the other day about how the crew hates on the PS3. What is happening.

'Tis the season for trolling!

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

What you cited was not bias. Iggnorance perhaps, condescending maybe, but definitely not bias

#33 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

@ballblaster said:

I never said he was bias against the Xbox, I am talking about the Kinect specifically. He omitted 75% of what the point of the new new dash was, then complained about things that the Kinect would mitigate. If he dislikes the Kinect that much, then Ryan Davis should have done this QL... That's all I'm saying.

The majority of people Giant Bomb is made for, do not care about Kinect. That's just a simple fact. Get over it.

#34 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

I think Jeff is more radial than bias.

#35 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

@ballblaster said:

Are you an employee of the Kinect division of Microsoft? Is that why you care so much about this? Are you a plant? I bet you're a plant.

#36 Posted by Thatamos (49 posts) -
@ballblaster
This.

I'm having a hard time seeing why everyone's so buttmad about this guys' opinion. It's not like he called Jeff a nazi, or said the whole review was shit, just that he left out a large body of 360 users in his review by glossing over new Kinect features. It probably has a lot to do with his personal beliefs that motion-based gaming is silly compared to the responsiveness and precision of controllers (totally true tbh).

Jeff's awesome, truly, but it's cult-like behavior to coddle someone so much that when they're criticized for legitimate reasons, the critic is continuously bashed for making a point.

It's also silly to criticize someone if you read the title and auto-reply with "gtfofaggotlol" responses. Just sayn'.

Also, PS1 > all.
#37 Posted by Kidavenger (3608 posts) -

The people that have been holding out on buying a Kinect until this point for this feature, aren't the people that are watching videos on this site.

Find something else to complain about.

#38 Posted by BatmanReturned (49 posts) -

Yes because if it is one thing games press has been enthusiastically supportive of its the Kinect. Jeff Gerstman is the renegade journalist voicing discontent.

Honestly where has the OP been for the last year?

#39 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@WonderboyCoz said:

I'm leaning towards the latter.

#40 Posted by laserbolts (5352 posts) -

Not trying to defend Jeff here but what is there to show? Wave your hand around and talk to it until it picks up what you want.

#41 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

The only bias i see is Jeff Gersztmann keep dissing Scott pilgrim which was a awesome beat-em up game. Other then that he is not so hot on the new design big deal it works.

#42 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

People in general just don't like change.

#43 Posted by Branthog (5595 posts) -

Very few people give a fuck about the Kinect bullshit and since GiantBomb doesn't cater to them, the proper response to the Kinect portion of the update is very properly a "oh yeah, and there's some of that stupid kinect bullshit, if you give a fuck about that".

Yes, other outlets may focus on the Kinect stuff in a non-ironic way, but they also just spit out press releases and suck hairy ball sacks for a chance to get special exclusives. Kind of like the Entertainment Tonight for video games.

#44 Edited by Hooded (435 posts) -

Haven't read the thread but i'm sure someone else in here will say something along the same lines as, Jeff showed us what was new, there was enough in the update to get through to last a 45 minute video, trying you use Kinect with it all would of just lengthen the video by almost twice as long, imagine;

"Xbox, Bing, Star Trek".

"Searching".

"Searching".

"Results, Planes Trains and Auto-mobiles".

" :/ ".

That then adds the question is search broken, or Kinect.

I'll be honest I did think they was going to show some of the Kinect features but the more I think about it, the more I think they just shown a more realistic way people will use the new dashboard. I have Kinect and I know I wont ever use it like that and i'm sure 90% of people wont really bother after using it once or twice to show off to others.

If your annoyed that they didn't show what it was like, at least you can find that out by yourself and you can do that now as the dashboard is out now, isn't it? No? Oh.

#45 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Biased. Not bias. And there is no Z in his last name.

#46 Edited by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I'm just kind of surprised people still take anything he says seriously enough to care whether he's right, wrong, biased or otherwise.

He's just doin his thing, take it or leave it.

#47 Posted by mordukai (7184 posts) -

I have a friend that still has an xbox with the blade UI.

#48 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@WonderboyCoz said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? If someone thought this joke was funny and worth posting I would assume that they are very stupid.

#49 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Yes. Next question.

#50 Posted by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

I know, right? He's totally on Sony money. More like $ony money. $ony Money Gerstmann. $ony Money Gersztmann.