#1 Posted by SL68 (50 posts) -

... get used to its controls? For me, KI: U is EASILY GOTY 2012. Easily. There's such great finesse and variety to the combat system and enemies, that it's one of the few games I've ever played that's actually fun to replay stages just because... you know, it's FUN. And even though I don't need motivation to play this, there's plenty of that too in shape of the treasure hunt.

I don't get people who complains about the controls. OK, I can understand lefties, but right handed people?! What's wrong with you? I never ever had any cramps or other physical problems by playing this game. And I've never even used the stand. You just need to hold the 3DS the right way - get support from both your left and right hand.

I've played this game for around 300 hours now, and I still want to keep going just because of the finesse of the combat system. Let me explain if you haven't played it:

In most games you can use the same strategy or move to beat most enemies. Like, hide behind a cover, wait for the enemy to shoot, and then pop up to finish it. But in KI: U, there are so many different ways to beat your enemies, and the variation is HUGE. This is all thanks to the great variation in enemy design and the super sophisticated combat system. This is not like Zelda where you just have to swing your sword like a madman to defeat most enemies. Oh no, KI: U got a lot more finesse than that.

So why is it that this game doesn't get more credit? Because people hold the 3DS the wrong way? Is that why? I mean, I have particulary small hands, and they would tire easily if this game was taxing on them. But it isn't.

KI: U isn't just 2012's best game, it's also one of the top ten best games I've ever played. It's THAT good.

#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2909 posts) -

What is KI: Uprising?]

This is why seperate forums for different games exist, I could have found out by now.

#3 Posted by SL68 (50 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

What is KI: Uprising?]

This is why seperate forums for different games exist, I could have found out by now.

Oh dear...

It's Kid Icarus: Uprising. You don't even know about it? :-/

#4 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -

@SL68: I've never seen it gone by KI: U so I expect some others to be the same.

And like the other poster said, putting this in the specific forum for Kid Icarus would have helped.

#5 Posted by SL68 (50 posts) -

Sorry, I didn't know. Is there a specific board for EVERY game? Or just a few selected?

#6 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

The controls take like, 2 missions to get used to. It's like pitching a bitch fit about The Hobbit in 48 fps.

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

@SL68: You're coming across as someone deeply angered by the fact that people don't like the game you like. It's annoying. There's nothing "wrong" with someone who doesn't like the control scheme of this game, nor there's no reason everyone should know what an abbreviation stands for (especially when you didn't even bother putting the full title of the game in your post).

Brad talked about Kid Icarus in yesterday's podcast. He said he loved the game, but the control scheme doesn't do it any favor. They considered it a contender for the category they were discussing (Best Revival/Remake), it didn't win. Tough luck, but it's their opinion against yours.

Also, I could make the exact same points about Diablo III (a lot of time spent with it, it's FUN, people who complain are doing it wrong, etc.), but that wouldn't make my opinion any more valid that others'.

#8 Posted by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

@SL68 said:

Sorry, I didn't know. Is there a specific board for EVERY game? Or just a few selected?

Yeah, there are boards for specific games but it isn't that big of an issue... as long as you actually tell people the game you are talking about. KI-U means nothing. My first reaction was that a new Killer Instinct was announced and I just had not heard about it yet.

#9 Posted by SL68 (50 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

The controls take like, 2 missions to get used to. It's like pitching a bitch fit about The Hobbit in 48 fps.

Well, some reviewers and many people claimed they never got used to the controls even though the finished the main story. That's what I don't understand. I mean, I can hardly go back to "normal" controls after playing KI: U, because normal controls are so much slower.

#10 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@SL68 said:

@Terramagi said:

Well, some reviewers and many people claimed they never got used to the controls even though the finished the main story. That's what I don't understand. I mean, I can hardly go back to "normal" controls after playing KI: U, because normal controls are so much slower.

Well, there's ONE mission where it starts to become a problem, and that mission is really late in the game.

And like 30 minutes long.

Which is the problem.

#11 Posted by SL68 (50 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@SL68: You're coming across as someone deeply angered by the fact that people don't like the game you like. It's annoying. There's nothing "wrong" with someone who doesn't like the control scheme of this game, nor there's no reason everyone should know what an abbreviation stands for (especially when you didn't even bother putting the full title of the game in your post).

Brad talked about Kid Icarus in yesterday's podcast. He said he loved the game, but the control scheme doesn't do it any favor. They considered it a contender for the category they were discussing (Best Revival/Remake), it didn't win. Tough luck, but it's their opinion against yours.

Also, I could make the exact same points about Diablo III (a lot of time spent with it, it's FUN, people who complain are doing it wrong, etc.), but that wouldn't make my opinion any more valid that others'.

It's not as simple as "like" or "not like". It's the reason why some people don't like it I don't understand - they say it hurts their hands to play. They're just holding the 3DS wrong and then think the game has a bad control scheme.

I don't know who Brad is, I'm talking about general opinion here.

#12 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

@SL68 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

It's not as simple as "like" or "not like". It's the reason why some people don't like it I don't understand - they say it hurts their hands to play. They're just holding the 3DS wrong and then think the game has a bad control scheme.

I don't know who Brad is, I'm talking about general opinion here.

Brad Shoemaker is a reviewer on the wonderful website Giantbomb.com, he is famous for single-handedly tacking down a hostage-filled terrorist plot on an airplane.

#13 Posted by Rafaelfc (1328 posts) -

and keeping a horde of demons away from our world!

#14 Posted by Spoonman671 (4595 posts) -

Is it so hard to spell the whole name out so people know what you're talking about?

#15 Posted by Bulby33 (581 posts) -

I tried getting into the game earlier this year but I thought the controls were awful. Gave my left hand mad cramps.

#16 Posted by MEATBALL (3184 posts) -

I think the game is great, but it didn't make my personal top 10 (after being knocked out by NSMBU) because the controls were just completely uncomfortable. I got used to the way the controls worked pretty quickly, I never really found a way to play the game that wasn't awkward/uncomfortable/painful, though. There is no way a reasonable person can deny that this is a problem with the game, even if their own experience differs.

#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@SL68 said:

Yeah, there are boards for specific games but it isn't that big of an issue... as long as you actually tell people the game you are talking about. KI-U means nothing. My first reaction was that a new Killer Instinct was announced and I just had not heard about it yet.

This was my first reaction, too. Okay, "KI" might not be as bad as GOW-God of War/GOW-Gears of War, but you can never go wrong by assuming someone in your audience isn't quite as knowledgeable as you.

#18 Posted by L44 (556 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Is it so hard to spell the whole name out so people know what you're talking about?
#19 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

I hated Kid Icarus because I'm left handed and that shit is impossible for me to play.

#20 Posted by crush3x5 (39 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

I hated Kid Icarus because I'm left handed and that shit is impossible for me to play.

yup same here.

#21 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

i would love to play Killer Instinct: Uprising

#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@SL68: Well welcome to Giant Bomb.

I am about halfway into the game, I end up not playing it for too long because each control scheme is awkward and hurts my hand after a while. The game is still fun though and it's good to see an old Nintendo icon get another game.

#23 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I tried playing it. The game seems good but those controls were not made for left handed people. I don't want to move with face buttons.

#24 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

Had to take a break after the twist about halfway though the game, which is that you're only halfway though instead of at the end. Even taking the game one level at a time, the game's structure of flight level that's more spectacle than challenge then march through a dungeon gets kind of tedious. I just started playing it again after a couple of months, but I feel like the game is too long for the gameplay.