• 53 results
#1 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

One of the sentiments frequently expressed on the Bombcast that always surprises me, is that local multiplayer features such as split-screen and bot support are somehow outdated. To me, this is rather shocking. Making the argument that online play has made local multiplayer obsolete seems akin to arguing that social networking has made hanging out with friends obsolete. I'm not alone in this am I? How do the people of Giant Bomb feel about the state of local multiplayer in video games?

#2 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

If you look at the number of split screeners in Black Ops, Halo Reach, Left 4 Dead, etc.  Clearly local MP is still very important to a lot of people.

#3 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

College dorms is why split-screen is still relevant in my mind.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Yes, there need to be more local multiplayer games.

#5 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Local multiplayer games are 

so much

fun.
#6 Posted by Sessh (724 posts) -

Nothing beats sitting on a couch, drinking some beer and playing games with friends. So yeah, still important to me.

#7 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -
I think playing with bots is a little outdated but making custom games locally and having split screen with friends is important to me. 
#8 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Absolutely, I wouldn't have enjoyed Gears 2 nearly as much if it didn't include splitscreen for both the campaign and horde. Same with Portal 2 or, you know, every fighting game ever made (though, that is admittedly a different example).

#9 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

Depends on the Genre I think. 
For example, Fighting Games still have huge local gaming scenes.

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6186 posts) -

I am gonna add a fighting game perspective to this conversation. 

Nothing online even "lagless" programs such as GGPO cannot emulate the accuracy and feel of a guy next to you or on the other side of a monitor screen concentrating what combo should be performed.

#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Hell-fucking-yes it is.  I appreciate a well implemented split-screen co-op mode more than I do an online multi-player mode.  It's much more fun to have a friend over and play with them than to play with random dudes online.

#12 Posted by President_Barackbar (3438 posts) -

I personally don't think its very important, but thats probably because I don't live in a college dorm or know a lot of people who play games who live near me.

#13 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -

Local multiplayer is definitely important! For the sole reason of sitting around playing with your friends, the non-on-line type!

#14 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Simple answer, yes. Local MP games are still hella important.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5227 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
I am gonna add a fighting game perspective to this conversation.  Nothing online even "lagless" programs such as GGPO cannot emulate the accuracy and feel of a guy next to you or on the other side of a monitor screen concentrating what combo should be performed.
I add racing games. Playing WipEout HD on split screen is fucking rad.
#16 Posted by Yummylee (21276 posts) -

Absolutely. Playing Borderlands in splitscreen (which was admittedly still kinda clumped together with the cutting of the screen, and made navigating the menus cumbersome) is some of the best cooperative gaming I've had in ages. 

The more games that allow split-screening online the better as well. Mighty chuffed that Uncharted 3's adding in that mechanic.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not for me it's not. Though I miss the days hanging out with the guys playing Soul Calibur or Tekken 3 whilst getting high and listening to good music and drinking a beer.

Good times with local multiplayer indeed.

#18 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -

My son local co-ops when he has friends over, and I like to be able get multiplayer achievements by myself when I can.

#19 Posted by Stigs (30 posts) -

It's not as important as it once was obviously, but still very nice to have. Plenty of modern games benefit greatly from local multiplayer. I probably would've never played Gears of War 2 if it didn't have split screen coop for example. 

#20 Posted by tekshow (67 posts) -

I love the good multiplayer. Have a hard time putting up with split screen these days, so it has to be integrated into the game in a seamless way on the same screen. It's the only way to get my wife to game with me if she can be on the same "team" 

#21 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

It's important to me. I shouldn't have to be online to play with the guy right next to me. Or a room over. Whatever the case may be.
Doesn't necessarily have to be splitscreen. Can be system link. Heck in some cases it'd be preferable.
Not a huge fan of having to buy two copies of  a game, but Saints Row 2 and Crackdown were fun enough to be worth it I think.

#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

only in fighting games.

#23 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

I had some of my best gaming moments in local multiplayer and I don't think online can achieve the same thing. I do see how it's more convenient, though. 
So yea, go local!

#24 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

It's all good if you've got the right size TV for it. 
My telly is pretty average (32" or a bit bigger) yet for split screen it's bloody terrible. 

The one in the living room is 50 something" so its all good and well playing local multiplayer.
#25 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Played some yesterday, good as ever.

#26 Posted by mracoon (4955 posts) -

I still play split-screen all the time.

#27 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2203 posts) -

I certainly don't oppose games haveing split screen multiplayer but it's not as important to me now as it used to be when i was 15-16. Espeically now that i've moved out of my home state I have no use for SS gaming.

#28 Posted by PenguinDust (12453 posts) -
@Sessh said:
Nothing beats sitting on a couch, drinking some beer and playing games with friends. So yeah, still important to me.
This right here.  There needs to be more games that include this feature because social gaming doesn't always need to mean online.   Remember how much fun LAN parties used to be or gathering together to play a game of pistols-only Halo CE was years ago?  These days it seems games are willing to add multiplayer and co-op, but not locally where co-op would seem to be the most fun. 
#29 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, it's still good to do that. it's just something good doing it with friends. it's good when there are a bunch of people around to play. a little outdated but playing halo 2 split screen was awesome when i did that.

#30 Posted by HatKing (5832 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
College dorms is why split-screen is still relevant in my mind.
The nail has been hit on the head. 

At Southern Illinois University I know there is a charge (in addition to whatever you're paying for the online service) to play games online in the dorm.  Last I heard it was $60 a semester.  If I had gone there I know I'd be an offline player.
#31 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Split-Screen Online Play. Being able to play 4 player split-screen online is awesome.
That's what makes Halo so damn great. More games need to do this.

#32 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Jeff, in particular, is crazy. Nothing will ever beat local MP for video games. Having the person in the same room doubles the amount of enjoyment (at least for me, personally) for any game. I hate winning a round online and finding that no one even saw, because they were texting after they died.  

Also, I hate online. I understand that some people don't have easy access to a good splitscreen session, but people online are jerks. I'd rather just play with bots (and I do).

#33 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

I use local multiplayer more than I do online multiplayer, I prefer it in fact.. It's more fun when you're playing a game with a person in the same room as you.

#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

Not to me in the slightest, but I can see someone with friends or brothers/sisters that are around a lot would want it.

#35 Posted by ajamafalous (11857 posts) -

I think it's still pretty important.

#36 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Local MP is the only MP I care about.

#37 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

I think so yes. Growing up in a full house it was important to rent games that me and my siblings could all play. To this day my friends and I still like to get together to play some Mario Kart 64. Good times

We even still like having a LAN game with our lap tops to play some old school PC games like Age of Empires 2 or the Original Dungeon Seige.

#38 Posted by Stonyman65 (2596 posts) -

I wouldn't say they are relevant, but they are fun. Almost always the mainstay of LAN parties I go to. 

Then again, you could argue that LAN parties are Local Multiplayer as well. 

#39 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@KillyDarko said:
Local MP is the only MP I care about.
Absolutely this. Playing with people online always feels so impersonal, even if it's with someone I know.
#40 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Local MP is very important to me, I know Jeff does not care much to play games with his friends and rather takes it online. 

Me, I prefer to play with my mates or my GF rather than a random stranger on xbox live.

#41 Posted by Caegn (69 posts) -

Well, the Wii didn't sell 12 billion units based on it's cutting edge hardware.  So I'd say there's still a market for playing together on the same screen.  Personally, I'm part of that market.  It sucks when you're hanging out with a friend and want to play a game, then realize that playing together requires one of you to leave.

#42 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2311 posts) -

Local multiplayer has seemingly been forgotten. I love playing co-op when my friends come over, but often enough the co-op is almost always online only.

#43 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Playing with your friends in split screen is so much better than playing with them online despite the fact you get only a half screen.

#44 Posted by tunnercar (36 posts) -
NO WAY! 
Split screen is a big deal for me, in fact one of my big gripes with previous COD games is that system link is not split screen.
There is nothing more fun than calling up a bunch of friends and playing some Halo or COD BO with some friends on two xboxs via system link!
Bots feel slightly more outdated as they usually rely on cheap tactics and overpowered weapons and aiming to present a challenge.
#45 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

For some games.  I think a game like Battlefield 3 can still be huge without local multiplayer, but a game like Mario Kart would not. 

#46 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

No. I'm an adult. I don't really even know anyone who games (much less on the same platform, same genre of games, same time of day/week). I absolutely don't know anyone that I would invite over to my house to sit on the couch and play videogames with and even if I did know someone, I wouldn't invite them. It was a big deal in the late nineties, but that was a very long time ago. If we're talking about split-screen stuff rather than LAN stuff, then an even more vociferous "no". The last thing I want to do is turn my 65" screen into a pair of deformed 30" screens.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

For us gamers, yes; for game companies, no.

#48 Posted by MattBosten (497 posts) -

I think they're speaking very much from their own perspective on LAN/Split-screen gaming. As older (I'm talking 30+) guys living in a country with good online penetration it is certainly easy to dismiss LAN as no longer needed, LAN is very much centred around a younger demographic. I remember a few years back when my and my mates would regularly have games nights where we'd have a few beers and play LAN/Split-screen games like CoD4, PES, Burnout and Top Spin. 

#49 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -
@Sessh said:
This.
#50 Posted by Gamer_152 (14053 posts) -

I think the importance of it has been greatly diminished with the rise of online multiplayer, but I believe local multiplayer is still important. Having someone in the physical space around you when playing a game with them is a very different experience than just playing with them over the internet.