#1 Edited by jdevlin24tgb (38 posts) -

It's no secret that after Microsoft had established itself with core gamers, they switched gears and targeted our living rooms. With the Kinect, key partnerships with multimedia giants like Netflix and YouTube, as well as a new metro-style interface--the Xbox 360 wanted to be the most used electronic device in the living room. It seems that with rumors swirling around the New Xbox, Microsoft is taking this ideal one step further with a partnership with Comcast to allow consumers to have full live TV and DVR functionality through the New Xbox--which would essentially replace your existing cable box. In theory, this sounds pretty cool... for existing Comcast subscribers... but what about the rest of us? Am I going to have to lock myself into a Comcast TV subscription if I want a new Xbox? How much will Microsoft jack up the price for an unsubscribed console? Will there even be a console that doesn’t have some sort of subscription?

This will be the only thing you see on Xbox from now on.

One positive with some subscriptions is that the consumer is paying to get there content ad-free… whoa, hold on one minute... ad-free? Don’t forget that Xbox customers already pay a subscription for their online service and still have more ads than the classifieds of the Sunday newspaper. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one, besides the metro-style’s bold window interface was created with ad fronting in mind. With live TV being sidelined for DVR and OnDemand services, commercials are becoming a less prominent source of advertising; look for Microsoft to integrate their marketing style into more of your TV/DVR content.

The New Xbox wants to pool all of your entertainment content into one device and attract more families to the console, but the problem is that families aren’t looking for a new device. Early adopters are, and always will be, the core audience—which are, in this case, the gamers. Cable boxes, smart TVs, tablets, smart phones, and even the current-gen Xbox already do everything that a casual consumer wants, and with enough ease that there is no reason for them to change devices. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, DVR, and video games are all just one or two clicks away now, and this is more than simple and streamlined enough for the casual audience. To put it plainly, Microsoft is appealing to the wrong people. Nintendo Wii and the first smart devices already reeled in the casual consumer… back in 2006; Microsoft and the New Xbox are a bit late to the party. The attempt to attract the family with an “all-encompassing” media console was proved ill-advised when the Nintendo Wii U launched last year to overall dismal sales numbers. That’s because the family/casual audience wasn’t interested (and is completely satisfied with Call of Duty on their Xbox 360s and checking their Facebook updates and Twitter feeds on their iPhones) and the core audience was offered almost nothing in the way of innovative and interesting software launch titles. Now, I do believe that once there are core games (i.e. Zelda and Mario proper) and possibly a price drop, that the Nintendo Wii U will see sales increase; not because the casual consumer all of the sudden feels a desperate need to play deep and engaging games like Metroid, but because the core gamer is finally getting what should have been announced in the first place… GAMES.

Yay, video games!

Yes, Microsoft – games. The importance of title exclusivity has long been a topic of discussion amongst the gaming community. Is it all that necessary? For hardware developers, of course it is. Nintendo would not be making consoles anymore if it weren’t for their first party titles. SEGA isn’t making consoles anymore because their games (and I know I’m going to catch a lot of shit for this) sucked. PS3 was kept alive by God of War, Uncharted, and Killzone. Exclusive titles matter to the success of a hardware developer… and Microsoft’s lineup is wearing thin, fast. The Halo franchise was recently revitalized by 343 Industries with Halo 4, but how long until we see Halo 5, 2 or 3 years? Forza is speedily being driven into the realm of over-saturation, with a new Forza game out every year. Gears of War is facing much uncertainty with key creators like Cliffy B and Mike Capps jumping ship and retiring. And XBLA is a shadow of its former self, now steadily being eclipsed by the aggressive and gamer-centric Sony PlayStation brand. Sony’s recent press conference, and even on PSN before that, has shown that Sony is taking a huge step in the direction of welcoming indie development on to their platforms. They've got a leg up on the rapidly growing indie game scene and are leaving Microsoft in the dust.

I just like Phil Fish, and Hey, he's indie.

Xbox owned the last generation of consoles with the Xbox 360 because of its incredibly slick online service, innovative Xbox Live Arcade which brought amazing and unique new content to the players, and a focus on exclusives and games for the core gamer—pretty much what the PS4 is doing now. Microsoft is trying to recapture an audience that the original Nintendo Wii captured in 2006—an audience that has no interest in “keeping up with the latest in cutting-edge technology. And let’s be frank, the Nintendo Wii was a game industry phenomenon (in regards to its sales) that will probably never be repeated.

Microsoft must recognize that the core gamers are the first ones in line to support and purchase a new product that interests them. They are also the first people online to share, like, and tweet about this new device or game, be it good or bad; the word of mouth branches out from the root audience and will, ultimately, determine the public perception of the New Xbox regardless of the in-house marketing strategy. Right now, what seems like a majority of the gaming industry—both developers and consumers alike— aren't showing much interest toward the “educated” rumors floating around about the New Xbox. All we can do now is wait for May 21 to see what Microsoft has up their sleeve for the next *ahem* “New” generation.

#2 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

i think their advantage is seeing the abysmal direction sony is taking the PS4. if they dont go in that direction, they have done one thing right at least , and have a chance to redeem the new gen.

#3 Edited by BrockSampson (296 posts) -

"It's no secret that after Microsoft had established itself in all the frat houses and bedrooms of racist/homophobic 12 year-olds".

Maybe not the best way of starting.

#4 Posted by jdevlin24tgb (38 posts) -

@brocksampson: Good point. I'll be right back...

[sawing and hammering noises come from the other room]

Okay, I'm back. Nothing fancy, but also not offensive to anyone.

Thanks for the input.

#5 Posted by BrockSampson (296 posts) -

I may not completely agree. But well written.

Cheers.

#6 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

The 360's launch line-up was a bit shit, they had almost none of the media functionality that we take for granted now and their strategic partnership plan was planning to one day have strategic partnerships. Still, Xbox went from also-ran brand to the dominant platform in the US in the span of a few years. With that in mind, it seems a little bit silly to write a prescription for their impending ills before they've even announced the new console.

#7 Edited by bigjeffrey (4156 posts) -

I actually think that MS is smart, the way that they will "supposedly" position this next xbox as THE set top box. They get the casual (There is much of a bigger market that us "the real" gamers).

#8 Posted by Darson (425 posts) -

@brocksampson: Good point. I'll be right back...

[sawing and hammering noises come from the other room]

Okay, I'm back. Nothing fancy, but also not offensive to anyone.

Thanks for the input.

"core gamers" - Even better.

#9 Edited by Seppli (9736 posts) -

@tarsier said:

i think their advantage is seeing the abysmal direction sony is taking the PS4. if they dont go in that direction, they have done one thing right at least , and have a chance to redeem the new gen.

This seems like a rather ass-backwards statement. PS4 is all about games. Everything about what has been said and shown attested to that fact. How's that contrary to your interests as a gaming enthusiasts? I'm positively wooed by Sony's pitch for the PS4 (other than wanting more *optimal-for-dualstick-controlschemes* buttons on my gamepad, that is).

Microsoft however has been positioning themselves farther and farther away from the enthusiast gaming market. They're they guys who've got to prove to us that they still care about us.

Please elaborate on your statement. I'd love to hear what's so bad about the Playstation 4 according to you.

#10 Edited by Stackboy (446 posts) -

Lets just wait until they show it off.

#11 Edited by jdevlin24tgb (38 posts) -

@darson: I agree, not much better, insert "gaming enthusiast" for "core gamer."

@seppli said:

@tarsier said:

This seems like a rather ass-backwards statement. PS4 is all about games. Everything about what has been said and shown attested to that fact. How's that contrary to your interests as a gaming enthusiasts? I'm positively wooed by Sony's pitch for the PS4 (other than wanting more *optimal-for-dualstick-controlschemes* buttons on my gamepad, that is).

Microsoft however has been positioning themselves farther and farther away from the enthusiast gaming market. They're they guys who've got to prove to us that they still care about us.

Please elaborate on your statement. I'd love to hear what's so bad about the Playstation 4 according to you.

I like the term "gaming enthusiast." I also would like to hear @tarsier defend his point on why PS4 is going in an abysmal direction. Much of the gaming community thought they piloted their conference toward "gaming enthusiasts" and were very "pro" games.

#12 Edited by natedawg_kz (230 posts) -

They're not going in the wrong direction, they're going in a different direction which isn't for me but hey, they haven't even had their event yet.

#13 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1355 posts) -

I'm not really a fan of the way they've abandoned most of their first-party development -- a lot of innovative, daring stuff often comes out of first-party developers, and they seem more content with the status quo -- but who knows, maybe they've got some cool stuff up their sleeves.

If their next-gen strategy is just to lock up the new Respawn game, integrate with cable services I haven't touched since high school, put out some boring Kinect games, and share the same third-party catalogue with Sony, then yeah, they'd probably be overestimating the amount of brand loyalty they have. I have to think they're smarter than that -- Sony helped them out last generation, but they also made a lot of good moves.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14307 posts) -

Seeing as how we actually know nothing about this thing yet, I have no opinion. All that's out there so far is rumours that people are taking as fact. Based on the rumours, I think it's going to be a terrible cluster fuck that holds zero appeal to me. Based on reality and what we know, I'm waiting to watch the conference.

#15 Edited by EpicSteve (6439 posts) -

We have ZERO INFORMATION about a new Xbox. So chill until then.

#16 Posted by jdevlin24tgb (38 posts) -

Of course it's all speculative and no one actually knows until the official press conference, but the gaming industry does have a knack for being pretty spot on with its rumor mill. Will everything we've read and heard come to fruition? No. But a lot of it might, because based on Microsoft's previous track record and current path many of the rumors out there just make sense. Again, this is an opinion-based post meant to kick off a discussion about what we think might happen. It is not fact. It is only based on what theoretical information has been released by gaming websites and the like.

#17 Edited by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

I think I'm going to wait until we actually have real solid details on the next Microsoft console before deciding whether they're going in the right direction or not. All I currently know is that it will be a console that plays games and likely uses a controller, and based on -that-, I'd say it's a start. But speculation at this point is basically meaningless.

#18 Posted by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

@seppli said:

@tarsier said:

I like the term "gaming enthusiast." I also would like to hear @tarsier defend his point on why PS4 is going in an abysmal direction. Much of the gaming community thought they piloted their conference toward "gaming enthusiasts" and were very "pro" games.

two words. share button.

i think i must have tuned into a completely different broadcast than everyone else.. or sony has just done an incredible job at keeping their original fanbase indoctrinated. the only promising thing i saw in the ps4 briefing was the witness.. which is coming to other platforms. sonys entire philosophy about the next generation is the opposite of what i was hoping for ... i can say that AT LEAST they arent going the nintendo route.

#19 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3627 posts) -

Nice write up. As someone who doesn't have cable and no plans to get cable (plus I live in Canada so Comcast isn't even a thing) that aspect doesn't interest me so I'm kinda wondering if that's a huge factor of the next box how that'll work with someone like me. I don't mind the whole "one stop set top box" deal as long as there's also the games to back it up. That's what I'm here for. As someone who's been a 360 guy for a while, Live has taken great strides over the last year to turn me off so at this point I'm totally ready to jump ship if Sony has a better offer and that's kinda shocking to me. Or hell, maybe straight PC.

I can't express how crazy typing that just now is for me. Trust me it's nuts. I dunno I hope both consoles bring it, I like playing on consoles. Don't make me sad MS.

#20 Edited by Slag (3339 posts) -

I don't know if microsoft is headed in the wrong direction, because like everyone else I don't know what direction Microsoft is heading in until they actually tell us.

Waayyyyyy to early to judge.

#22 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

The dashboard is fine, if a bit heavy with ads (but more functional in plenty of ways than the XMB), and the rest of it is up to them. If they want to focus on the mass market, they should and they should do it well. As long as they make hardware that people can make games on, it doesn't really matter, because MS doesn't decide much of what the games on the system are beyond "hey, we have a good platform to develop for."

Yes, the way they handle indie games is bad, but it's also bad because it's based on a system created before indie games were a phenomenon.

I think people who complain about the "direction" that the 360 went in are pretty silly, just because it's not that bad. Good games still came out. In fact, a good few awesome games came straight from MS. Do you really need a Dashboard to tell you that Halo 4 is coming out? Yeah, it'd be nice if MS gave XBLA more facetime in ads on the dashboard, but it's also not really MS' job to advertise or provide advertising for XBLA games. That's not their job.

And for the international audience, A) most of that is out of their hands, and B) they aren't trying to sell to the entire world. They have a market, and it's North America. Maybe with the next console that will change but complaining about something primarily marketed and sold in NA not getting the attention it "deserves" overseas is a bit... odd to me. Entitled, even. And again, it's not easy getting Netflix or Netflix-esque services in all of the markets they sell to because some markets don't even have those services. Or they are shitty. Or they don't want to deal. Yadda yadda.

As for the "new" xbox, we know nothing about it. At all. Most of the rumors sound completely ridiculous from a services perspective except some of the achievement stuff, and they haven't said anything officially other than "Yo, it's going to be announced soonish." We can only speculate on the direction right now. And we could just wait a month, and find out for sure instead of being cynical/optimistic the whole time only to be totally wrong.

@seppli: I think what he means by the PS4 event not impressing is that he didn't see any games that impressed him. Just because the focus was on games doesn't mean it was on the games the dude wanted. That being said, if The Witness was the only thing he liked, he shouldn't be fucking getting his hopes up about a major event like that. It's not going to be a bunch of indie darling games.

#23 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@jdevlin24tgb said:

@seppli said:

@tarsier said:

two words. share button.

i think i must have tuned into a completely different broadcast than everyone else.. or sony has just done an incredible job at keeping their original fanbase indoctrinated. the only promising thing i saw in the ps4 briefing was the witness.. which is coming to other platforms. sonys entire philosophy about the next generation is the opposite of what i was hoping for ... i can say that AT LEAST they arent going the nintendo route.

The share button is pretty damn cool. All the features they want to do with that are neat. So what were you hoping for? To be less in touch with your friends? By the way, the social aspect to the PS4 is optional. They're not going to force you to use any of that and if you don't find inFAMOUS or Killzone interesting, well then you suck. (I'm kidding.) But E3 is right around the corner so expect more new games. If Microsoft is going the way of "Cable box that plays Halo & Call of Doody!", then that's 100x worse then abysmal.

Now I'd like to know what direction you hoped they would go in.

#24 Edited by iam3green (14388 posts) -

we'll have to wait and see what they announce. it doesn't really sound good with the comcast subscription thing. maybe for a person who wants to pay for cable.

#25 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

Haven't they not announced it yet? What services direction will PS4 have? Why should PS4 have Netflix and YouTube at all, if it has games?

#26 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@tarsier said:

@jdevlin24tgb said:

@seppli said:

@tarsier said:

two words. share button.

The share button is pretty damn cool. All the features they want to do with that are neat. So what were you hoping for? To be less in touch with your friends? By the way, the social aspect to the PS4 is optional. They're not going to force you to use any of that and if you don't find inFAMOUS or Killzone interesting, well then you suck. (I'm kidding.) But E3 is right around the corner so expect more new games. If Microsoft is going the way of "Cable box that plays Halo & Call of Doody!", then that's 100x worse then abysmal.

the share button is like the consummation of the vomit philosophy behind the ps4. thats not my only gripe, its the thing that perfectly illustrates whats wrong with sonys idea of what the next gen should be. they think its about appeasing the facebook/twitter/social media demographic, and the 'mature adults' who are interested in serious hardcore video games and movies. a key word of their briefing was 'content' .. they showed videos of games that looked like they were trying to be hollywood movies.. somewhere between what call of duty does, and what heavy rain tries miserably to do... and yea, im one of those suckers who think killzone is manure.

also, knack. need i say more?

sure , they focused on games as much as they focused on the social media thing. but it was like they had these bullet points they had to hit, based on current marketplace demographic corporation business trends, not based on any kind of visionary evolution of the future of video games, and the great possibilities that medium holds.

we see one incremental step forward, but we are still trapped in a world of shit.

#27 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Duder, it hasn't even been unveiled yet. Wait until they release the facts and then make a judgment call on it.

#29 Edited by Butano (1681 posts) -

Jeebus, just wait until May 21st. They haven't said a thing and already the gaming and tech media have flip flopped on whether or not Microsoft is going to have online/offline/funline single player support.

The only thing I'm positive of with the new ExBaux is that it'll be nicely integrated with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. That's where I would put my money. Until then, I'm not guessing anything.

#30 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

@tarsier: Yo, duder. Just calm down. Touch fuzzy, get dizzy.

#31 Posted by EXTomar (4124 posts) -

If it plays games then it will be fine but I do think the push to be the "living room media hub" is somewhat misguided. When TVs are moving faster than consoles, it doesn't make much sense to try to stick features into it that increases the costs while quickly outdating itself.

#32 Posted by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

@tarsier: Yo, duder. Just calm down. Touch fuzzy, get dizzy.

im all good my brehh

#33 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@awesomeusername said:

two words. share button.

the share button is like the consummation of the vomit philosophy behind the ps4. thats not my only gripe, its the thing that perfectly illustrates whats wrong with sonys idea of what the next gen should be. they think its about appeasing the facebook/twitter/social media demographic, and the 'mature adults' who are interested in serious hardcore video games and movies. a key word of their briefing was 'content' .. they showed videos of games that looked like they were trying to be hollywood movies.. somewhere between what call of duty does, and what heavy rain tries miserably to do... and yea, im one of those suckers who think killzone is manure.

sure , they focused on games as much as they focused on the social media thing. but it was like they had these bullet points they had to hit, based on current marketplace demographic corporation business trends, not based on any kind of visionary evolution of the future of video games, and the great possibilities that medium holds.

we see one incremental step forward, but we are still trapped in a world of shit.

Well when a lot of your customers enjoy using Facebook, Twitter, etc., it pretty much makes sense to use it to your advantage. I agree that Sony shouldn't be like "Social IS next-gen" but what should it be really? I don't really care for what the next console ever does as long as it plays games. All the social things the PS4 will do like recording gameplay, livestreaming, taking control of another persons game, etc. is just nice side features for people to use when want they want to be more interactive. I won't deny that I won't use it because I will. It'll be fun. Yes, FUN. But continuing on, don't all game trailers look like movies? Yes. I was kidding about the Killzone part (Not the infamous though). I know Killzone has terrible campaigns but their multiplayer is always solid. Also, Mark Cerny is working on Knack. Need I (emphasis on I) say more?

I don't think video games will ever evolve beyond just looking better and being smarter(?). For now and the near future, I want video games to be the exact same thing as I'm sure many others do. I want to sit on a couch, controller in hand, doing whatever it is that happens in the game. New things like Microsoft's Illumiroom and the Oculus Rift are pretty cool, but I don't think I really want any of that to go anywhere aside from mods and stuff.

I like to think of it as a world of nice, golden shit.

#34 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@tarsier said:

@awesomeusername said:

two words. share button.

Well when a lot of your customers enjoy using Facebook, Twitter, etc., it pretty much makes sense to use it to your advantage. I agree that Sony shouldn't be like "Social IS next-gen" but what should it be really? I don't really care for what the next console ever does as long as it plays games. All the social things the PS4 will do like recording gameplay, livestreaming, taking control of another persons game, etc. is just nice side features for people to use when want they want to be more interactive. I won't deny that I won't use it because I will. It'll be fun. Yes, FUN. But continuing on, don't all game trailers look like movies? Yes. I was kidding about the Killzone part (Not the infamous though). I know Killzone has terrible campaigns but their multiplayer is always solid. Also, Mark Cerny is working on Knack. Need I (emphasis on I) say more?

I don't think video games will ever evolve beyond just looking better and being smarter(?). For now and the near future, I want video games to be the exact same thing as I'm sure many others do. I want to sit on a couch, controller in hand, doing whatever it is that happens in the game. New things like Microsoft's Illumiroom and the Oculus Rift are pretty cool, but I don't think I really want any of that to go anywhere aside from mods and stuff.

well friend when you jump into a giant shimmering pile of gold foil wrapped shitcoins , it might take you a minute to smell the stink, and it also might take you a while to get over the initial denial that youre swimming in an ocean of shit. but there are some of us who choose not to jump in, we know what awaits within. we smelled it from the very start.

#35 Posted by ZmillA (2232 posts) -

we don't really know anything about it...

#36 Edited by AlexW00d (6059 posts) -

I like the idea of 12 million Xbox 360 sales in Europe being 'no longer their market', just 'cause the ps3 completely outsold the 360 in every market except the US doesn't mean they should ignore every other market.

(Just to clarify I am saying they are, I am just responding to a point made earlier but cannot in the normal fashion cause mobile site.)

#37 Posted by bluefish (371 posts) -

@zmilla said:

we don't really know anything about it...

so lets just wait and see for the next little while eh? At least until E3

#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

The 360 was my platform of choice when this generation was starting out, but I strongly dislike the direction they begun to go in and I'm pretty sure they'll continue those trends with the new system.

I also don't know why anyone would still be paying a subscription for an online service like XBL any more, but we can't really talk about anything for sure, considering all we have are rumours.

#39 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (395 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@awesomeusername said:

@tarsier said:

@jdevlin24tgb said:

@seppli said:

@tarsier said:

two words. share button.

You're right, you must have seen a different broadcast.

The fact that sony showed games at all during a console reveal is a good indicator that they are serious about making their console as a gaming device first. As for the games, sure, Killzone and Drive Club and inFamous are things that people expect Sony to show and while they aren't super exciting, games like that allow Sony to support more interesting games (like The Witness). Sony has positioned themselves as a platform that is friendly to new and weird game ideas as evidenced by them having Jonathan Blow -"Mr.Indie" himself- up on stage or them having the stones to bring games like Dark Souls or Tokyo Jungle to a North American audience.

#40 Posted by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

I'm still not sure why people think the two new consoles are going to be different from one another. The specs are probably going to be identical, they both have a silly kinect camera that no one gives a damn about, and I'll guarantee that the xbox has the equivalent of a share button. As far as live v. psplus goes, I seems like both companies are going to have a subsidized price option to help soften the cost of all their shiny new hardware, so contracts for online services are going to come with both. Basically, it all comes down to who has the better marketing team.

(And how parents react when they see a $199 Wii U next to the $400 MS and Sony consoles when they're looking for Christmas gifts.)

#41 Posted by jdevlin24tgb (38 posts) -

@tarsier said:

@awesomeusername said:

two words. share button.

It's fine for game consoles to have other features that might be attractive to potential buyers that aren't gamers; like social media, music, and TV. But I think the difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Sony seems to be taking a very "games first" approach, infusing these new features into the core gaming experience with something like the share button. Whereas Microsoft seems (again, based on rumors) to be pushing games to the back burner while they focus on making the new console more of a media hub than a gaming device.

#42 Posted by Veektarius (4145 posts) -

As a survey researcher, I wish I had my hands on some data that looked into the importance of multipurpose utility in a console for a representative sample of consumers. It's easy to sit in the jaundiced gamer echo-chamber and get the impression that anyone who puts Netflix on a console is not only an idiot but also has a personal hatred for me and my way of life.

#43 Posted by Sergio (1773 posts) -

Too soon to tell, but having already seen Sony's initial press conference on the PS4, Microsoft has their work cut out for them.

And I think @tarsier must have seen a different press conference. I don't fall into the indoctrinated fanbase. I own both a 360 and a PS3, and I have more games for the former than the latter. I'm just not a 360 fanboy either.

#44 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@tarsier said:

well friend when you jump into a giant shimmering pile of gold foil wrapped shitcoins , it might take you a minute to smell the stink, and it also might take you a while to get over the initial denial that youre swimming in an ocean of shit. but there are some of us who choose not to jump in, we know what awaits within. we smelled it from the very start.

Now I'm hungry.

#45 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

It's heading in the exact direction I want it to be.