#1 Edited by kaos_cracker (703 posts) -

So the more multiplayer games I play on console, the less fun I am having with video games. I remember the days when some friends an I would play some Halo 2 before school and always have a good time. Now that same experience is becoming rather hard to have again. With more Call of Duty games that come out, the more the shooter genre becomes tainted with trying to imitate it or being to bland for not being different. With the recent Halo game, it was fun for a while, then became to simple and only fun when you have friends playing with you, but most people have already moved on.

Even as I go to play a match or two of Battlefield 3 TDM, it isn't fun because the whole "Team" part isn't ever being used anymore, as no one tries to communicate with each other or everyone just runs around since they are playing alone and don't care. Of course to some people, this is a fun time, but kills the joy of the game to others.

Then with the whole thing with Xbox Live subscription in order to play the other half of your game is still bugging me as in order to play part of the game I already paid 60 bucks for, I still need special service in order to use it. This is why I believe the only way to have a decent time with multiplayer anymore is on PC or maybe even PS3 since it's free, or on the couch with a nintendo system. I just wish we had another Call of Duty 4 experience where multiplayer became different and more enjoyable. But until then, I think the multiplayer fun is dying out on console, and only being decent on PC with it having more ways to have a good team game going on and a much stronger community.

#2 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

Battlefield 3 Conquest mode on PC is, indeed as you've hinted, the answer to your problem!

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3778 posts) -

Is multiplayer becoming ruined..? Uhm, I mean no.. I think we'll see a resurgence of glory days once Destiny comes out. Even for 360 and PS3. Paying for XBL Gold is sort of separate from enjoyment and preference for PC. If CoD doesn't bring you back fun this year, well then.. I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure if New-Found-Infinity-Ward has it in them to think "What is fun?," and create entirely-new fun-maps, and a handful of fun-new game-modes. And then Battlefield. Well.. I think you might be thinking about how Bad Company 2 was fun, and BF3 wasn't as much. Battlefield 4 sort of has a playground type of layout, with what we've seen. I sure had fun! I could definitely see myself and friends laying down a minefield to see tanks run over that. Or swimming the long way around a dock to kill a sniper .. While my friend is at the construction site helping the team pwn.

Honestly, I think its more mindset and the positive thought that you Are Going to have fun. It can be easy to bog yourself down in indifferent and apathetic thoughts about having the same game every year.

Edit: I just imagine just an awesome PVP layout below that chasm. Fuck.. We need more environmental levels, less bases in these new games, in the next 6 years.

#4 Edited by kaos_cracker (703 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Destiny could have something going for it, I just want to know if they can pull it off. I know Bungie has been working on it for a long time so it may end up being a big change to multiplayer when it comes out.

#5 Edited by BigJeffrey (5173 posts) -

This is probably why i still play Halo 4, Capture the Flag. No lone wolf Bullshit.

Everyone on my team is either on offense or defense.

No worrying about K/D, just getting the flag.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

Sounds more like you got older.

#7 Posted by peritus (1067 posts) -

I think it's this. It is for me anyway. But it could be different for you.

#8 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Eh, it depends on what you're looking for. I certainly don't enjoy running around a games multiplayer component doing whatever with random people as much as I used to. I can't really get into mmo or fps games anymore for that reason. But I do thoroughly enjoy playing multiplayer games when I'm teamed up with or against my real life friends, so I've just been sticking to games that they play like Starcraft 2, Civ V, or ME3. Sticking to just playing multiplayer with them has led to a much more entertaining time compared to just running around with a bunch of lone wolf style players in random games.

#9 Edited by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

@peritus said:

@brodehouse said:

The giveaway is "I remember the days".

#10 Posted by kaos_cracker (703 posts) -

Probably. Playing games that require teamwork seem to be the only fun time for me anymore. I do miss the old days tho.

#11 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5983 posts) -

I occasionally hop into Cod and BF to play a couple rounds, but I never communicate with anyone. Despite being called Multiplayer, it's definitely a more exclusionary part of a game for a lot of people.

I'm pretty excited for Destiny. I don't know why, I just am. I don't expect it to be revolutionary or anything, but I love how ambitious it is.

Anyways, the only real solution to the OP's problem is to just find a group of friends to play with. You'll rarely find random players who are good at cooperating with other random players.

#12 Posted by flasaltine (1703 posts) -

Multiplayer is being ruined by progression systems and all that shit.

#13 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

Cheap imitations of call of duty's system and overall lack of creativity is killing multiplayer, hopefully the new systems and new games turn that around, seriously, its time for something new to be done, COD has kind of run its course.

#14 Posted by Chibithor (573 posts) -

Nope. I wouldn't have fun playing CoD or BF on 360 either, but I don't think there are any conclusions to be drawn there.

#15 Edited by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Nope. You aren't looking hard enough. Great multiplayer experiences still exist, even in the games you seem to be scoffing at. People DO play CoD as coordinated teams, and they're rather hard to beat.

You're just expecting to jump into a random lobby and find a bunch of random strangers all being coordinated and organized. That's not going to happen, in just about any game.

As said earlier I find alot of people play well with others in Halo 4 CTF. People might just be warthog drives the entire match, he'll get ass for xp but seriously who cares about xp in shooters? Like Gears Judgement has double xp tickets you can buy, but uh... the XP and levels literally do NOTHING for you.

If you're sick of no one going with YOU, why don't you stick with another guy instead? Don't expect people to support you, why don't you support others instead? Easier to control it that way.

Also Battlefield TDM? uh thats the worst possible gamemode for people cooperating with each other. If you want people working together play objective gamemodes.

Hell out of every claim in this thread, i think the thing killing multiplayer is that TDM became the most popular gamemode in every game. It specifically rewards K/D whores and if you're doing anything other than getting kills its pointless. TDM means people can run around get get kills and win. Objective game modes mean you have to work together to complete the objective. TDM is killing multiplayer.

#16 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

I find multiplayer to be quite enjoyable for the learning phase and the "getting better" phase, once I'm at the peak of my powers and crushing people it ceases to be fun; so I go find another game and another genre to get better at; running out of genres though. Assassin's Creed is probably the multiplayer that holds up the best even after playing it a whole bunch. Still I don't really have a compulsion to play more than occasionally except right after release and I'm definitely going to buy ACIV just for the multiplayer at launch since it was awesome for AC3 and the general philosophies of the designers are very solid even if the playerbase isn't as creative as it could be. If I just played shooters it would definitely get extremely boring considering how same-y most of them are, but I am having fun playing Tomb Raider multiplayer for a few matches a day.

#17 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

aaah yuuuuup. You got older. You only get that first multiplayer experience once in life. Congrats on enjoying it!

Plenty of other awesome stuff out there. Just look around, keep an open mind about it.

#18 Edited by kaos_cracker (703 posts) -

Probably going to just stick with objective game types like I usually try to do. That's why lately I been sticking with PC since most of the time I find a good group of people, just rather hard on consoles lately. Then again, most of the fun I been having with games is singleplayer.

#19 Posted by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@peritus said:

@brodehouse said:

The giveaway is "I remember the days".

Yep. Those days were "Halo 3 in high school". And then poof! That group went on to play different games and I went back to single player.

#20 Posted by Slag (4859 posts) -

@kaos_cracker: Player matching is an art few game maker seem to have figured out. It becomes more obvious the older you get.

the experiences you describe is why I only play on teams with people I know offline.

But hey if you wnat to play a game where randoms people do try to actively use teamwork (their version anyway) try LoL or DOTA 2,there's no multiplayer games out there that can match the experience MOBAs offer in my opinion.

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2402 posts) -

TDM in any game is super lame and boring. Objectives are the best (I love territory control myself)

#22 Edited by Rorie (2987 posts) -

I really think that voice chat is one of the worst things to happen to multiplayer gaming. I get that it's necessary on consoles, since you can't simply type out commands, but every time I play a game with voicechat enabled, I'm immediately taken out of whatever excitement I'm feeling by horrible microphones, players breathing loudly, idiots cursing the whole game, etc. I don't like talking to people in general; how people manage to stay in Vent for three hours of a WoW raid is beyond me.

Staff
#23 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6390 posts) -

I've got a couple of friends I can handle doing co-op with, but that's honestly about as far as I like to go with multiplayer nowadays. Playing with random people in Dead Island Riptide has been just awful. I've had jackasses come in, steal mines, undermine the defenses in the sieges, and then back out of the game before I can boot them. And then there are the idiots who think yammering away on a headset is the equivalent of stand-up comedy. Just wish we didn't live in a world where people think it's funny to be dickweasels to each other online.

#24 Edited by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

I'm with you. MP on consoles doesn't have the charm it once did. However, I just started playing Dust 514 on the ps3 and if you can find some normal people this game can be awesome. It really nurtures the building blocks of a good mp experience. And it's surprisingly deep.

#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Brainstorming ideas to make voice chat less of a terrible thing:

1. Stick voice-recognition software in next-gen consoles.
  2. Periodically email chat transcripts to players' respective mums.
  3. ????
  4. See a sharp drop in prepubescent racists with open mics. (Profit!)
#26 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3778 posts) -

@ravenlight: Or we could just campaign how Don't Drink and Drive does: "Grow The Fuck Up."

But I like your plan better.

#27 Edited by Draxyle (1895 posts) -

@rorie said:

I really think that voice chat is one of the worst things to happen to multiplayer gaming. I get that it's necessary on consoles, since you can't simply type out commands, but every time I play a game with voicechat enabled, I'm immediately taken out of whatever excitement I'm feeling by horrible microphones, players breathing loudly, idiots cursing the whole game, etc. I don't like talking to people in general; how people manage to stay in Vent for three hours of a WoW raid is beyond me.

One of my favorite things about Demon's/Dark Souls is how they deliberately discourage and disable any sort of voice chat. I can't imagine what that would do to the atmosphere if you could hear your allies blabber on about stuff.

I just disable it right away on the few multiplayer games I play. Unless I'm playing a tactical squad based game or if I'm playing with friends, I just don't see any value in having it on.

#28 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -
@tourgen said:

@brodehouse said:

aaah yuuuuup. You got older. You only get that first multiplayer experience once in life. Congrats on enjoying it!

Plenty of other awesome stuff out there. Just look around, keep an open mind about it.

Mine was with T.H.U.G. on PS2. Man, that brings back some memories.

#29 Edited by AuthenticM (3802 posts) -

@draxyle said:

@rorie said:

One of my favorite things about Demon's/Dark Souls is how they deliberately discourage and disable any sort of voice chat. I can't imagine what that would do to the atmosphere if you could hear your allies blabber on about stuff.

I just disable it right away on the few multiplayer games I play. Unless I'm playing a tactical squad based game or if I'm playing with friends, I just don't see any value in having it on.

Yup. Demon's Souls did it better though, because it had dedicated servers. Dark souls had hosting and holy shit was it unplayable in PVP. Can't wait for Dark Souls 2, as it's supposed to fix this.

#30 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

The classic XboxLIVE experience died with the introduction of XboxLIVE Parties. Now you get to talk to your friends all the time across all games, and neglect your in-match partners. A great development over the PS3, but still with crappy side effects.

#31 Posted by ChaosTony (102 posts) -

@mctangle said:

The classic XboxLIVE experience died with the introduction of XboxLIVE Parties. Now you get to talk to your friends all the time across all games, and neglect your in-match partners. A great development over the PS3, but still with crappy side effects.

I never really thought of it this way, but you're right! I love party chat, but the team game experience definitely suffers.

#32 Edited by Nezza (377 posts) -

Multiplayer was ruined the second they started bundling microphones with the console.

#33 Edited by Trilogy (2687 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

3. ????

The moms should get a text message alert when their children are being assholes. That way you can listen to the little shits get into trouble live on the internet!

#34 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@rorie said:

I don't like talking to people in general; how people manage to stay in Vent for three hours of a WoW raid is beyond me.

I can't speak for everyone, but I actually kinda liked the people I played WoW with. In fact, I think losing that kind of human connection has really hurt my subsequent experiences with multiplayer games.

#35 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@ravenlight said:

3. ????

The moms should get a text message alert when their children are being assholes. That way you can listen to the little shits get into trouble live on the internet!

That's a service I'd subscribe to. New XBL experience: Free games, pay to listen to little shits getting grounded.

#36 Edited by Sweep (8975 posts) -

Maybe it's just because you are getting older and have become more cynical and jaded with life in general, your social horizons have been broadened and you realise that the world is full of obnoxious, mean spirited people whose very existence you find offensive.

Or maybe those games of Halo weren't actually that great and you are just getting caught up in nostalgia. I don't know. I'm just a burger.

#37 Edited by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

@sweep: It's probably a little of column A and a little of column B in his case.

My case is all column A.

#38 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

@sweep said:

I don't know. I'm just a burger.

Your opinions are delicious.

I don't know but I kind of agree that the most likely case is that the OP just grew old. I remember when online play in consoles was becoming a thing and I was fascinated by it until I started running into assholes all around. I play a lot of co-op games with friends and we always use voice chat. Except for the sometimes annoying noise level it's great. We have fun, we talk tactics, we share discoveries, talk about vydjagames. I have little patience for the wild west that is the online game community though.

#39 Edited by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

I don't know why people think this behavior is new. Even before the days of Quake and UT2003 using "all-talk" or joining random games voice com was an invite to the cesspool which is why serious teams ran or rented their own servers.

Console voice com either needs much more robust, fine tuned controls or needs mute controls tied into reputation. If too many people keep muting someone then all games they join they will be muted where they will have a "time out period". In fact a lot of good would happen if many games with a "quick join" mode should default to "all-mute".

#40 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

I think for me it just got stale. I used to love horde mode, or planting bombs on CS. I just kind of got tired of playing it and so did everyone I usually played it with. So it slowly died out for me. Though one game I still do find myself going back to is Terraria. I still think that game is a ton of fun be it by yourself or with a ton of friends.

#41 Posted by Flux (10 posts) -

Its not being ruined but is just trying to keep up with what society and this generation wants.

Which is competition, its all about being better than someone else and showing off.Multiplayer hardly feels like a "casual" thing anymore, like lets get some friends together and play and have fun. Not too say its not fun, but the fanbase of some games really ruin it for me.

#42 Posted by Tarsier (1078 posts) -

i think the problem with bf3 multiplayer are the choices EA made with separating the voice chat capabilities with the game.. nobody uses it because its in the browser, and you can only chat iwht friends.. dont know what kind of corporate bullshit caused them to make that choice, but it was one of the big factors in ruining that franchise.

#43 Edited by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I might be stagnant right now, but I don't see it deteriorating in any way. Your enjoyment might be lower because you've already experienced most of what it has to offer, but try mixing it up by playing different games like Monaco or Battleblock Theatre.

Also we are on the verge of a new console generation and maybe games like Respawn's new game or Bungie's Destiny might breathe some innovation into the FPS genre if that's all you are interested in.