• 70 results
Posted by BisonHero (7661 posts) 7 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Is my Walmart crazy? (501 votes)

Yes 94%
No 6%

Keep in mind these are Canadian prices. So that means normally Wii/PS3/360 games are $59.99, and new console game are $69.99 in a lot of cases.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

That is crazy. Those games should all be at clearance prices by now. And anyone still selling Tony Hawk Shred at $50, Canadian or U.S., is completely out of their mind.

#2 Edited by mjbrune (106 posts) -

All I got to say is don't shoplift at the wal-mart, man.

#3 Edited by EXTomar (5012 posts) -

This maybe the first time a poll goes 100% because man they are super crazy.

#4 Edited by Corevi (6451 posts) -

Sin and Punishment 2 is kinda hard to find but that's still way more than it should be going for and the rest of those games? FUCK THAT.

#5 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (4137 posts) -

LOL CONDUIT 2. Is this Wal-Mart located in Beverly Hills or something?

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11573 posts) -

That is totally bananas.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@extomar said:

This maybe the first time a poll goes 100%

That's not happening.

#8 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1337 posts) -

Other M for 80 fucking dollars, oh my god, my sides!!!! I cannot take this!!!! HAHA!!

Your Wal Mart is fucking BANANAS

#9 Edited by RonGalaxy (3333 posts) -

Maybe they're selling the actual rights to those games?

#10 Posted by TDot (357 posts) -

At my canadian walmart i there's a hnadful of old copies of the gamecube crystal chronicles game for 70 dollars

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14589 posts) -

@mjbrune said:

All I got to say is don't shoplift at the wal-mart, man.

Yeah okay, Chris.

#12 Posted by ConfusedOwl (987 posts) -

Canadian game prices are wack yo. I made a game out of looking up old games on Amazon.ca to see the most insane prices you could ever imagine. I'm not surprised Walmart would pull this but the easy alternative is just going to EB games.

#13 Edited by Corevi (6451 posts) -

@ezakael: Still not as bad as Australia. A new game is only $10 more here.

#14 Edited by TheRealMoot (457 posts) -

Holy D***,That's nuts! I think Other M is in the $5 discount bin at my Walmart.

#15 Posted by Colt45 (61 posts) -

I'm just impressed you were able to take a picture in Wal-Mart without getting booted.

Also, those prices are absurd, Canadian or not.

#16 Posted by meaninoflife42 (570 posts) -

And this is why I never buy games at Wal Mart.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15369 posts) -

@colt45: Why would taking a picture be a problem?

#18 Posted by Colt45 (61 posts) -

@demoskinos: I don't really know why they see it as a problem. I took a picture of lawnmower I was thinking of buying just to remind myself of the price, and the manager asked me (albeit nicely) to stop taking pictures in the store. He said I would be asked to leave if I did it again. Maybe they're worried other stores will try to price match?? I have no idea.

#19 Edited by Random45 (1366 posts) -

You have to get permission from the manager to do it. When I went to Best Buy one time to take pictures for a project I was doing, I had to wait and get the manager's permission before I went through with it, and I was told to make sure no one else was in the shot.

Though to be honest, this picture isn't really a big deal anyway. I doubt they would toss him outta the store over this, probably just give him a stern warning to stop.

#20 Posted by BisonHero (7661 posts) -

@random45 said:

@demoskinos said:

You have to get permission from the manager to do it. When I went to Best Buy one time to take pictures for a project I was doing, I had to wait and get the manager's permission before I went through with it, and I was told to make sure no one else was in the shot.

Though to be honest, this picture isn't really a big deal anyway. I doubt they would toss him outta the store over this, probably just give him a stern warning to stop.

Conveniently the Wii section was in the back corner of the games display case area, so where I was kneeling to take the picture had terrible line of sight. Also I had no idea that managers give you a hard time about taking pictures, but luckily no employees were anywhere near me when I thought to take this picture.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12270 posts) -

Oh man, remember Conduit, guys?

#22 Posted by HatKing (6283 posts) -

@random45 said:

@demoskinos said:

Conveniently the Wii section was in the back corner of the games display case area, so where I was kneeling to take the picture had terrible line of sight. Also I had no idea that managers give you a hard time about taking pictures, but luckily no employees were anywhere near me when I thought to take this picture.

One of my buddies and I shot a short film once, partially inside a Walmart. We even interviewed some shoppers and employees. Nobody said anything to us about not doing it. Which is why is was really surprising a couple months later when a different friend got kicked out of the store because he was trying to take pictures for a college project. It probably depends on the location of the store and the manager working, and whether or not they want to feel important that day.

#23 Edited by Demoskinos (15369 posts) -

@random45: @bisonhero: @colt45: Heh, well I work there and take pictures all the time of dumb stuff I find in the store. I guess it might depend on how sensitive people are about that shit.

This is one of my recent favorites lol.

#24 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11573 posts) -

@random45: @bisonhero: @colt45: Heh, well I work there and take pictures all the time of dumb stuff I find in the store. I guess it might depend on how sensitive people are about that shit.

Elmo says shut your goddamn mouth before Elmo slits your throat!

#25 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

That's a lot of beaver pelts or whatever you guys use for money.

#26 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1337 posts) -

@vuud said:

That's a lot of beaver pelts or whatever you guys use for money.

Drums of maple syrup, if I recall correctly.

#27 Posted by RioStarwind (582 posts) -

I can confirm that someone at your Wal Mart is either crazy or really doesn't want to get rid of old stock for some strange reason.

#28 Posted by NegativeCero (3058 posts) -

@demoskinos: I fucking love that picture so much. Elmo is secretly a killer.

#29 Edited by Salarn (469 posts) -

From January of this year, Canadian Walmart.

#30 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1496 posts) -

In my local walmart they have a Sony Wireless Headset on clearence for $139.99 when the MSRP is $99.99.

#31 Posted by spyder335 (402 posts) -

australian eb games, last time I was in a preowned copy of 'new super mario bros' $80

#32 Edited by Steadying (1556 posts) -

For some reason, some Nintendo games have always been 69.99 here. Like, even before every game was 69.99. New Super Mario Bros Wii comes to mind.

#33 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6172 posts) -

What the hell are they thinking!?

#34 Posted by CornBREDX (6301 posts) -

Looks like the prices for video games (old ones even- cus I know someone will think I didn't notice that) at any Walmart only in Canadian monopoly bucks. At least for console games.

I only ever seem to find shovelware console games in any kind of clearance at Walmart. I don't tend to buy games at a physical store anymore, though. Amazon or steam for me. I did find a collection of every single Elder scrolls game (up to Skyrim) including full maps of all of them at a Walmart once for only $30. That was pretty awesome- however rare a find like that is.

#35 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Nuts. I live in Canada but can't provide input on the Wally World games section as I tend to avoid the place. What's the deal with the cent amounts? 0.83? 0.96?

Tony Hawk Shred for a full solid $50 is my favorite. Very good. Very good indeed. That is well done. xD

#36 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I've gotten some good games out of Canadian Walmart bargain bins. And while I don't believe either was purchased at a Walmart, my copies of Other M and Sin & Punishment were both bought at clearance prices ($10 or $20).

Your local Walmart is definitely strange.

#37 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1896 posts) -

I mean, relative to other stores that are actually normal, yes, your Walmart is crazy. But compared to other Walmarts, this is par for the course. I remember going there a couple of years ago and still seeing Call of Duty 2 and Soldier of Fortune Payback selling for full price. THE FULL $60 FOR SOF PAYBACK. IN 2012. Walmart is fucking stupid, make no mistake.

#38 Posted by jArmAhead (341 posts) -

What's that in American Dollars, like 5 bucks?

Seriously though, that's nuts. But there is that kind of crap all over the place. Even here in the states, where we seem to be one of the most fortunate ones for game pricing, there's stuff just as bad. My local Fred Meyers has pricing very much like that.

#39 Posted by Haz (166 posts) -

I'm in Toronto and I laugh every time I walk by the gaming section and see Sin & Punishment 2 for $69.99. I got that game used from EBGames two years ago for $1.99, ha.

Zellers was pretty infamous for ridiculously high priced old titles too. I have a feeling Target will be no different.

#40 Posted by Corevi (6451 posts) -

@haz: The only old game I ever bought from Zellers was Klonoa for the Wii for $10. Totally worth it.

#41 Posted by jiggajoe14 (930 posts) -

OMG.......I want that guitar.

#42 Posted by mrfizzy (1558 posts) -

@ezakael: Still not as bad as Australia. A new game is only $10 more here.

That really depends where you shop, JB Hifi usually have new releases for approx $60. Though it does depend on the game.

That being said I saw some 360 launch titles for sale in either David Jones or Myer (major department stores) a couple of months ago and they were about $80. Some places just have no idea what prices are realistic.

#43 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I'm not surprised at all. I've seen Walmart and the store I work at do the samething. They'll try to get as much money as they can.

#44 Edited by xyzygy (10103 posts) -

Wow. That is... absolutely nuts. Other M is found easily in EB Games (Canadian Gamestop, but we also have Gamestop... dunno) for like 10 bucks.

But isn't Sin and Punishment 2 pretty rare? (EDIT: Nope. Amazon is selling new copies for $16 CAD. Bonkers.)

#45 Edited by BisonHero (7661 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Wow. That is... absolutely nuts. Other M is found easily in EB Games (Canadian Gamestop, but we also have Gamestop... dunno) for like 10 bucks.

But isn't Sin and Punishment 2 pretty rare? (EDIT: Nope. Amazon is selling new copies for $16 CAD. Bonkers.)

Sin & Punishment did have a pretty low print run I think, but I'd also guess the game undersold like CRAZY, given that the only people who would think to buy it outside of Japan were the small crowd of people that checked out the first game on the Wii's Virtual Console.

#46 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1703 posts) -

I don't care if that is Canada where prices are typically higher, asking that much for last gen shovelware is insane.

#47 Posted by Bremaine (61 posts) -

Stores in Michigan don't even sell Wii games anymore, at least I don't think so. But yeah, pretty crazy prices. I don't know how much more or less Canadian dollars is to American dollars, but I'm pretty sure all of those games are over priced by quite a bit.

#48 Edited by Mycroft_Ampersand (83 posts) -

@herbiebug: I think that the weird cent amounts are for sales. I've seen things like "all wii games 20% off" printed large and then the small print that states only the games that end in $0.85 at Walmart before.

Those are definitely Canadian Walmart game prices. One where I live has copies of Injustice (the original version, not the ultimate edition with the dlc characters) for $50 still right next to copies of the ultimate edition which is the exact same price.

#49 Posted by WSGEXE (140 posts) -

That's adorable. Amazon sells Other M for CDN$ 14.99.

#50 Posted by Corevi (6451 posts) -

@bremaine: Google Finances currently places the CAD at 0.94 of a USD. However books are ridiculously expensive here (atleast 33% more expensive) and brand new videogames are $10 more than they are in the US.