Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Is now a good time to buy a wii u?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

Hello friends.

I've recently come into a bit of extra cash lately and I'm eyeing up a wii u as a prospective purchase. Can any owners let me know their experiences or whatever so far? Seeing Zelda warriors was enough to tip me over the edges think. Between that, MK8 , Bayonetta 2 and Mario 3D world i think it's enough to have me buy one. Any ideas or recommendations chums? Cheers!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Once there's enough games you wanna play on it then totally. I'd guess based on what you want to play you'll also want to play future Nintendo games, so it's not like it'll just sit around unused after you play those. I'd also recommend checking out The Wonderful 101, PlatinumGames other Nintendo exclusive.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm kind of in a similar boat, there is a handful of games I kind of want to play on the system now. The problem is, without being that into Nintendo first party games, the future of the console is so fuzzy on future releases. I'd want more than 6 or 7 games on the shelf before the end of it. :/

But yeah, I think aside from maybe an eventual price drop. Now is definitely the time to buy one. It has at least proven that games we'd want are coming on it!

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By UltorOscariot

ZombiU might be worth looking into. Wind Waker HD is lovely but even with some travel upgrades not everyone is going to dig its pacing and dungeons that are relatively strait forward by Zelda standards. And if you can get a deal on it, Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze is a really good, beautiful platformer, but some of the hidden extra levels may drive you batty if you're a completionist.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

It's always a good time to buy a Wii U.

Grab Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D Land, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8 and then play catch up. Maybe you'll able to play all of those before Smash for Wii U.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mbradley1992

Mine just sits there after I played Super Mario 3D World. To each their own.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you love Nintendo's first party franchises like Mario and Zelda, yeah. There's a pretty nice little library of first party games out right now, with a lot of big ones coming soon. (Smash Bros this year, Star Fox and Zelda next year...)

It kinda goes without saying, but just make sure the Wii U isn't your primary gaming device as the third party support is and forever will be abysmal.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd say it's a good time to want to buy one, but perhaps wait and see what kind of Christmas bundles happen to get the best deal you can.

fumaofthelake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been considering this lately as well. Most of the interesting 3rd party games are fairly cheap now. Seems really good if you have a family and want to be able to game in the living room. I have my PS4 in there for my daughter and I to play Infinity. I wouldn't want to put on Diablo or Assassin's Creed, but Mario or something would be fine to play during the day. That said, I am really really hoping that Fatal Frame Wii U gets localized. You hold up the gamepad to take the pictures... Sounds like the most interesting use of the tech that I've heard so far.

I'm also interested in being able to play things on the pad. The remote play for Vita was something I really wanted to like, but I felt the experience didn't live up to what I was hoping for. But playing Mario on that pad seems like it would work as advertised. Can anyone speak to their personal experiences using the gamepad as the display and what kind of titles tend to support it?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

If you do get one make sure to get Wonderful 101. It's a fantastic game that nobody played.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayonetta 2 is forcing me to finally buy a Wii U, though I'll be going back and picking up some games like Mario Kart, though my biggest "gimme" is still ahead with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, I bought one earlier in the year and have enjoyed it a great deal. It's got a strong enough library to keep you busy for a while.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I'd say yes, especially as a supplement to an Xbox One of PS4.

There are plenty of games to grab, probably at a decent discount, and if you had a Wii you can use those as extra controllers.

I actually really like the system despite some draw backs. I really hope I can use it more and more in the future.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Do you like smash brothers? If yes, then buy one! If no... then maybe dont buy one.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BatmanBatman

I don't own one, but I'd say yes, pretty much. I almost bought one before my PS4; cool games in my opinion, and probably some more coming up in the future.

The only reason I have not bought one yet is because I have a gazzilion games in my backlog! Heck I still own a ton of wii games I haven't played...

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's never a "good" time to buy a WiiU. You just can't think in those terms.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I would say no. I bought one and ended up selling it after playing a bunch of MK8, because there was nothing else out. I got a different console instead.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I somewhat regret getting one, but I have it and try to enjoy it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

So long as you don't feel like you have a very narrow window where you have funds and the interest in getting one, I'd recommend waiting a bit longer to see if there's a good deal on it later this year, or maybe next year.

I've had mine since launch and have put quite some time into it, though it has been pretty sporadic and with loooong breaks in between when nothing was coming out. The last few things I played were Mario Kart 8, which was fun and pretty, even though I played it on my own, Tropical Freeze which was old-school in its design in some really satisfying ways, if a bit heavy on the collectibles, and Hyrule Warriors which has a couple of really terrible, unfun things about it but that I generally enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would, even as a somewhat fan of an earlier Warriors game.

One of the neat changes since launch is that the loading times when navigating the menus have been improved. This happened quite some time ago but it's still worth bringing up because they were quite terrible before. Now they are fine, normal.

Another recent change is the quickstart menu that lets you boot directly into one of the 10 or so last things you used on the system. It's been neat since you don't have to wait for the main menu interface thingy to start up and instead can go directly into loading up your game.

The E-shop is fine, there is still not a lot of Virtual Console games out there compared to what the Wii library eventually became. I've been getting the last few games I bought through it, mostly out of laziness. I don't recommend this since I can just feel how it's going to come back and bite me in the ass later.

bbillade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a Wii U this summer and I love it. If you are a Nintendo fan then now is a great time to get one. Lots of great games for it now, and don't forget to check out some Wii games you might have missed. Xenoblade Chronicles is really good.

I would recommend getting a refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo. I did and I saved about $100 and it is just like brand new.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Zippedbinders

I guess I'm lucky in that nothing announced for the Xbone or the PS4 have really felt like things I have to play, or wouldn't be able to find on PC. The Wii U has and will have almost all the things I'm actually looking forward to, especially if the AAA gaming market continues in the direction its been heading.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep. It's great. It's got a solid line-up now, and that's not even including Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros.

If it's Hyrule Warriors that's piqued your interest, go for it. I'm suffering a mild addiction to that game.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@fallen189: I just bought a refurbished one off the Nintendo site. It's only 200$ for the deluxe 32G one, and it comes with Nintendo land. So that's an option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.