Is RE5 gunna suck?

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sushbag

Here's what is wrong with RE5, that I can tell from the videos I've seen.

• Is it survival horror? No, it appears to be action. RE4 was action-oriented, but still had scares and a good, spooky atmosphere, in traditional RE style. Now, 5 looks like a broad daylight stroll through Somolia, which would be horrifying in real life of course, but in a videogame it's meh. The environment looks unmemorable and not at all scary or atmospheric.
  • Where's the new shit? RE4 was a great new way of playing survival horror games. RE5 is completely identical, with nothing new added as far as I can tell. Even if the gameplay system is perfect, they have to change it up and do something refreshing in a sequel, otherwise it will never be remembered as fondly as RE4.
  • It's a buddy game? Seriously? Capcom had to jump on the bandwagon and make a co-op game? Every fucking console game is a co op game!!! It's completely played-out drivel. The only developer who has ever even done it properly is Valve, because in Valve games the partner doesn't get in your way, can take care of themselves, and most, importantly, through story, amazing facial animation, and voice-acting, you actually want the other person to be there with you. Everything I've seen from RE5, I've had this reaction: "This would be more fun, more scary, and more better if it was just me alone."

Where is the sense of danger, the scares, the atmosphere? Like, is the whole game going to be this watered-down co op shit? Sure it will be fun to play with a real person once, but why do I have some cunt named Sheva interfering with my entertainment in the singleplayer?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb
Sushbag said:
"Here's what is wrong with RE5, that I can tell from the videos I've seen.

• Is it survival horror? No, it appears to be action. RE4 was action-oriented, but still had scares and a good, spooky atmosphere, in traditional RE style. Now, 5 looks like a broad daylight stroll through Somolia, which would be horrifying in real life of course, but in a videogame it's meh. The environment looks unmemorable and not at all scary or atmospheric.
  • Where's the new shit? RE4 was a great new way of playing survival horror games. RE5 is completely identical, with nothing new added as far as I can tell. Even if the gameplay system is perfect, they have to change it up and do something refreshing in a sequel, otherwise it will never be remembered as fondly as RE4.
  • It's a buddy game? Seriously? Capcom had to jump on the bandwagon and make a co-op game? Every fucking console game is a co op game!!! It's completely played-out drivel. The only developer who has ever even done it properly is Valve, because in Valve games the partner doesn't get in your way, can take care of themselves, and most, importantly, through story, amazing facial animation, and voice-acting, you actually want the other person to be there with you. Everything I've seen from RE5, I've had this reaction: "This would be more fun, more scary, and more better if it was just me alone."

Where is the sense of danger, the scares, the atmosphere? Like, is the whole game going to be this watered-down co op shit? Sure it will be fun to play with a real person once, but why do I have some cunt named Sheva interfering with my entertainment in the singleplayer?
"
  1. It doesn't have to be. The original Resident Evil games were brilliant but Resident Evil 4 totally reinvented the series and in my opinion is the best so far. How can more of the same be bad? Resident Evil is all about tension now as opposed to cheap scares and jumps. The constant flow of zombies I've seen don't look like they're cutting back on the tension. I expect it to be white knuckle throughout.
  2. We've barely been shown anything of the game yet but ammo swapping and the co-op premise is all totally new and will mean the experience will be totally different. Capcom are claiming this game has an extra 10 or so hours on top of RE4 and that game took me about 20 hours to beat first time. You can't even assume how much the game will have in it in it's entirety.
  3. I kinda agree. I'm not sure I like the idea of co-op in a Resident Evil game but I trust Capcom for it. I certainly won't be playing this online (maybe once to see how it works) but if the friendly AI is good enough the game will be fine because of it from a gameplay point of view. I kinda wished they would have kept it single player though. Damn the "everything must have online multiplayer or I'm not buying" generation.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I don't think that will make it suck. I don't think I'll be able to play it, though. I've found it hard for RE4 that when the first iteration you play is with the Wii remote, it's hard to go back and use joysticks. I may have to pass it, which sucks, because I loved the first . . . erhm . . . fourth.  I do agree ompletely on the co-op. It's better solo, or with in incapable companion, like Ashley Williams. That's her name, right?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

I played the demo for five minutes and decided I will not get or play this game. As soon as I realized I'm going to have to be babysitting some retarded bitch the whole game (the reason I stopped play RE4) I said "Fuck. This." (you could hear the periods). I don't have to have to share ammo with some stupid broad, and I don't want to be stuck with these shitty "Oh no! I can't move when I hold my gun up for some STUPID, ARBITRARY, UNEXPLAINED REASON!"

This isn't 1998 anymore (or whenever the first three came out). The only reason RE had the shitty turret controls was because of limitations in the controller. It doesn't make the game scary, just frustrating. Just like that companion. She doesn't make it scary when she runs out of ammo and it's just you shooting; she just makes it annoying and frustrating.

This game may do well in sales, but I have a feeling that it might not do that great critically.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sushbag

Well Sammy, as you pointed out this will be a long game (hopefully) and we don't know what kind of juicy new things will be thrown in. However, the whole having to play with some bitch the whole game thing might turn what would have been a must-have game into a rental.

Not every game series is making the jump to the current generation well. When you hear "Resident Evil 5," you think, "Great, must be better than RE4 and that was awesome, so I guess I'll buy it." I said the same shit for GTA4 because of how good the PS2 games were and bam! I had far less fun than with the old ones.

PureRok said:

"I played the demo for five minutes and decided I will not get or play this game. As soon as I realized I'm going to have to be babysitting some retarded bitch the whole game (the reason I stopped play RE4) I said "Fuck. This." "
If the bitch is indeed retarded then this whole game is going to suck. They do have one option before launch though: They could just take the bitch out, and only have her in for the multiplayer co op. I do hope playtesters are telling Capcom how shitty it is to have the whole game be like the Ashley sequences from RE4, but worse, because in that case it was a hot, helpless girl, and this time its a fugly african-looking slit who knows how to use guns but still gets killed and fails your mission for you.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Sushbag said:
"Well Sammy, as you pointed out this will be a long game (hopefully) and we don't know what kind of juicy new things will be thrown in. However, the whole having to play with some bitch the whole game thing might turn what would have been a must-have game into a rental.

Not every game series is making the jump to the current generation well. When you hear "Resident Evil 5," you think, "Great, must be better than RE4 and that was awesome, so I guess I'll buy it." I said the same shit for GTA4 because of how good the PS2 games were and bam! I had far less fun than with the old ones.

PureRok said:
"I played the demo for five minutes and decided I will not get or play this game. As soon as I realized I'm going to have to be babysitting some retarded bitch the whole game (the reason I stopped play RE4) I said "Fuck. This." "
If the bitch is indeed retarded then this whole game is going to suck. They do have one option before launch though: They could just take the bitch out, and only have her in for the multiplayer co op. I do hope playtesters are telling Capcom how shitty it is to have the whole game be like the Ashley sequences from RE4, but worse, because in that case it was a hot, helpless girl, and this time its a fugly african-looking slit who knows how to use guns but still gets killed and fails your mission for you."

Because black girls are ugly girls?
Racist!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

I thought RE4 was a crappy game, so RE5 trying and failing to be better than RE4 while adding in an annoying African setting and even weirder controls along with a dumb co-op partner does not sound appealing to me in the least.

So yes, from what I played of the demo, and from what I've read extensively about it, it will suck balls (personally).

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

3 answers to that, 1- Compared to Dead Space, the combat will definitely feel aged to most, in that degree a bit of a down side
                                  2- If you're playing solo with just the a.i, I'm sure it will suck even double that, just because its never fun in that case.
                                 3- If you do play it with a friend in co-op the whole way through, that is the one thing that I believe can counter balance the other 2 and make it a very fun experience. Also  a part of me, from loving every second of RE4, has no problem with mostly the same again. Though as I said, after playing the satisfactory of kills and awesome combat that is dead space, that's one drawback it will have.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

As someone who does not really play online multiplayer at all I am not fussed about this new direction the game has gone in either. I might try to play locally with mates or something, but between work schedules we rarely get to play together for long periods often. So hopefully playing through the game with the AI controlled character will not sour the experience. I am quietly confident that this will not be the case as RE5 is easily the game I am looking forward to the most given how much I loved the previous title. As for the rest of the aspects you mention, I have no worries about them at all.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By insanejedi

Here's my answer. It will be fun, and it won't have the feeling of awesomeness as RE4 did back in the day. Dead Space has already made smart advancements on the formula of this genre, proving that you don't need cumbersome controls to have tension in your game. It will be very much the same as Resident Evil 4, but you know what? It will be fun, it just won't be revolutionary. It's also not going to be scary I assume, because RE4 wasn't very scary. The Co-op will be fun as any co-op game is fun with friends, but the co-op AI from the demo is garbage, not knowing how to use or conserve ammo, and obviously not doing any advance combat maneuvers as a professional RE4 player would do.

In the end it will be a good or even great game, it just won't be as impactful as it's predecessor,

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure

The AI partner is absolutely fine, in the demo at least. While I won't admit to being a great RE player she was still keeping up to the same number kills I had on her own and a lot of  those were headshots. She also automatically gives you any ammo for a gun she does not have if you have it which is nice. 

I have not played a whole lot of RE in the past (still don't own RE4 though I plan to buy it soon) but I still felt the "tension" while playing the demo levels. On the first level there is no where near enough ammo to kill all the zombies so you have to spend a lot of time finding safe spots to defeat the boss while the enemies creep up to you for attacks. If they do not have a weapon I did not find them much of a threat, unfortunately, at least half of them had some sort of weapon which 2 or 3 hits from it and you will see the game over screen. There was no where near enough health items to keep taking hits. So I was a little on edge from that, especially since the boss of the first level has a huge attack range.
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sushbag

Also, if the game ships with the kind of graphical disparity between the two versions, that's another reason not to buy it. Normally if given the choice, I buy games on the PS3, mainly because it's not going to break. All the storage capacity of a blu ray and the textures look... worse?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

It is gonna be like RE4.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HelixSnake

It's not going to suck, but it's not going to be a big deal, either.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

about the survival horror. its in the demo there is a survival level. but it fucking sucks ass. 

the game looks gorgeous, thats it best aspect. the co-op is going to be great. 

but this is like RE4.5
Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gump
Sushbag said:
"Here's what is wrong with RE5, that I can tell from the videos I've seen.

"
1. Yeah, Resident Evil 4 is 'Resident Evil' even though was a total departure from the straightforward survival horror genre what with the over-the-shoulder cam and daylight sequences where you’re leading Ashley around. But for some reason, I still felt like it was true to the original Resident Evil because it was upsetting and scary. In my honest opinion, I think Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is the best installment (being a huge fanboy of the series).
2. Resident Evil 5 is basically an updated version of Resident Evil 4, there's nothing absolutely extraordinary as far I've seen and I've played, there's nothing absolutely special.
3. I think the Co-Op system makes the game sometimes easier and less scarier than the previous installments, Resident Evil 5 seems more like a generic shooter than survival horror, the other part of it is Sheva, she is always with you and relatively capable, so you’re never really lonely or anxious the way you’re supposed to be in Survival Horror games so, you're never anxious and never scared.

Unfortunately, Resident Evil isn't longer a Survival Horror franchise at least it's not "Resident Evil" any longer.
This last installent has lost its roots and as an old-school fan I'm severely disappointed...
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PercyChuggs

No, it will be fine.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Very skeptical after everything I've heard about it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

It doesn't look nearly as scary but i still think it will be pretty good.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I will buy it, of course I like RE games as a whole despite the fact that the old games are kind of primitive and have things that are obnoxious. Also, just like RE4, they are really only showing the first area of the game and so we haven't really seen all of what the game has to offer. (Although, quite a few of the details have been leaked through people extracting data from the demo)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar

What will suck is if stuck to the same formula and didn't try anything new.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael
Sushbag said:
Here's what is wrong with RE5, that I can tell from the videos I've seen.

• It's a buddy game? Seriously? Capcom had to jump on the bandwagon and make a co-op game? Every fucking console game is a co op game!!! It's completely played-out drivel. The only developer who has ever even done it properly is Valve, because in Valve games the partner doesn't get in your way, can take care of themselves, and most, importantly, through story, amazing facial animation, and voice-acting, you actually want the other person to be there with you. Everything I've seen from RE5, I've had this reaction: "This would be more fun, more scary, and more better if it was just me alone.
1. True. The demo levels had no spooky atmosphere whatsoever; bright sunlight and partner to help you out. The creators did say that the first half of the game was gonna be action-focused while the second would be horror, so there's still hope in this area.

2. Don't fix what's not broken. They added strafing(and there's a flamethrower too!) - there's no need for other changes. One thing I noticed though is that aiming is way too slow. Even when I put the setting to "fastest" it was slow as hell.

3. I agree. I would've been fine with co-op if it was entirely optional, but they're forcing Sheva on me in single-player too? She not only removes tension, she's also annoying as hell. I've died more than 10 times in the demo, all because of her. She wastes ammo, gets in my way and dies. She is completely worthless and shouldn't be in the game. Seriously, I would rather have Ashley follow me around the entire game - she didn't get in my way, she didn't waste ammo that I could've put to good use, and she was always right behind me. Another negative aspect of the co-op is that the menu for changing weapon and rearranging your items doesn't pause the game. Wanna use that grenade, but it isn't equipped to one of the d-pad directions? Just press Y, then navigate to it, press X and move it to one of the d-pad directions while the chainsaw man cuts your head off... I understand why they gotta do it in co-op, but why in single player?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok
Zenaxzd said:
"The AI partner is absolutely fine, in the demo at least. While I won't admit to being a great RE player she was still keeping up to the same number kills I had on her own and a lot of  those were headshots. She also automatically gives you any ammo for a gun she does not have if you have it which is nice. 
I have not played a whole lot of RE in the past (still don't own RE4 though I plan to buy it soon) but I still felt the "tension" while playing the demo levels. On the first level there is no where near enough ammo to kill all the zombies so you have to spend a lot of time finding safe spots to defeat the boss while the enemies creep up to you for attacks. If they do not have a weapon I did not find them much of a threat, unfortunately, at least half of them had some sort of weapon which 2 or 3 hits from it and you will see the game over screen. There was no where near enough health items to keep taking hits. So I was a little on edge from that, especially since the boss of the first level has a huge attack range.
"
She may give you her ammo when you run out, but when she runs out she expects you to give her yours. I don't share my shit with people. You take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself and if you can't handle that simple concept then GTFO. At least, that's what I'd tell her if I could.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

Honestly, it all will depend on the friendly AI. If Capcom nailed it then it'll work ok. I'm not saying I like the direction but so long as they did a good job with the AI the experience won't hurt much.

There's no way they can pull her out now though. I'd hazard the game is done now and puzzles and combat will all be tweaked to include her. They could never pull her out now. She's going to be in it, get used to it.

I didn't really have a problem with Ashley though, apart from the voice acting. Sheva looks like an ok character. It all depends on the AI like I said.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZenaxPure
PureRok said:
"Zenaxzd said:
"The AI partner is absolutely fine, in the demo at least. While I won't admit to being a great RE player she was still keeping up to the same number kills I had on her own and a lot of  those were headshots. She also automatically gives you any ammo for a gun she does not have if you have it which is nice. 
"
She may give you her ammo when you run out, but when she runs out she expects you to give her yours. I don't share my shit with people. You take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself and if you can't handle that simple concept then GTFO. At least, that's what I'd tell her if I could."
Don't share it then? >_>
PsYuSoFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PsYuSoFly

RE2 is better than all survival horror games

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Qorious

Yeah, it looks too much like RE4 to me. Of course, RE4 was phenomenal at the time, but I didn't really see anything new during the gameplay videos. Co-op is a nice touch but what really bothers me the most is that you still can't move while you're aiming, which is a bummer to me. If they're trying to be like "Gears of War", then they need to let the player aim while moving. Of course they did say the reason they did that was because they want to make it more suspenseful and have the player being pressured while playing the game, but Dead Space allows you to move while aiming and it was a lot scarier than RE4. And yeah, I think RE5 will get an 8.5-9.0. Although I do have to say that the game looks beautiful though!  

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By Icemael
Zenaxzd said:
"PureRok said:
"Zenaxzd said:
"
She may give you her ammo when you run out, but when she runs out she expects you to give her yours. I don't share my shit with people. You take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself and if you can't handle that simple concept then GTFO. At least, that's what I'd tell her if I could."
Don't share it then? >_>"
But if she runs out of ammo she's more likely to die, resulting in a failed mission.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZenaxPure
Icemael said:
"But if she runs out of ammo she's more likely to die, resulting in a failed mission."
That has made me interested. I think I will go through the demo sometime again tonight and see what she does when she runs out of ammo. She handled perfectly with guns so I am interested in seeing how she is without it.