Is the California Law that would fine retailers for selling minors violent video games constitutional?

Seraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Seraphim
Seraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seraphim

Hey guys, I know there are some threads on this already, but they didn't really get to the heart of what I was wondering.  I know that since this is a video game enthusiast forum board, it's unlikely that anyone will support the law.  However, I would like to know what your argument is against it, and whether or not you actually think this is unconstitutional, or if it's just a stupid law to have on the books in general (and why you think that).  I have to do this assignment for an English class research project, so any feedback would be much appreciated. 

EDIT: Also, if you do not mind, please indicate whether you yourself are a minor, (only if you're comfortable doing so). 

Thanks guys, 
~Seraphim

Avatar image for williamrlbaker@
williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By williamrlbaker

No, tobacco and Alcahol are harmful and unlawful for minors, Movie theaters aren't allowed to sell movie tickets to minors without a parent or guardian present to mature rated movies, It should be the same with mature rated games.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Brians

Well the supreme court will be deciding this so I have to say I dunno.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By commandercup

I don't see how this is unconstitutional... I'd say that this isn't that big of a factor since kids can just get 17 year olds to buy the game for them or with them or even their parents. 

I'd say go ahead and bar the sale of M rated games to kids and treat it just like R rated movies are.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

I don't know if it's constitutional or not, but in the UK we have strict age limits on games and most other things. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I want it to become illegal so we can get some back alley gaming speakeasies going.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

It's unconstitutional.  That's my opinion, and that's the legal reading of every court that has heard this case so far.  I'm not a minor, if that helps your project.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By commandercup
@commandercup said:
" I don't see how this is unconstitutional... I'd say that this isn't that big of a factor since kids can just get 17 year olds to buy the game for them or with them or even their parents.   I'd say go ahead and bar the sale of M rated games to kids and treat it just like R rated movies are. "
I take this back, I looked it up and it appears as though the Cali law is incredibly vague and thus that alone makes it unconstitutional as it truly threatens freedom of expression with the fact that it wants to prevent sales of all so called especially violent content which is just bullshit. With a rating system attached to the ESRB maybe, without it and with some random claims about certain games being "especially violent" this is obviously unconstitutional.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

There's such a law in five provinces up here in Canada, so it can't be too bad. Also, in BC the retailers just decided on their own to not sell M-rated games to minors.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I voted "No", but I'm not American. Your constitution is pretty amusing, though. Its certain feels morally ambiguous (to say the least) to sell minors inappropriate content.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By mosdl
@williamrlbaker said:
" No, tobacco and Alcahol are harmful and unlawful for minors, Movie theaters aren't allowed to sell movie tickets to minors without a parent or guardian present to mature rated movies, It should be the same with mature rated games. "
This basically.  However, teen smoking % in CA went up this year, and several surveys (if you can trust them) of said teens show that they usually buy them themselves as many places don't card.  Since new laws are nice and all, but enforcement is expensive and doesn't happen often.
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LegalBagel

Completely unconstitutional.  Content-based restrictions - laws banning speech on the basis of what is being said - are almost always unconstitutional, except in very limited situations like obscenity or speech directly inciting violence.  No difference here.

As for why this specific law really harms the freedom of speech, by banning stores from selling these items to minors, it discourages stores from stocking them and developers from making them, in creating a "chilling effect" which will discourage developers from speaking about certain topics.  Even if the lawmakers don't intend to do so, developers will be restricted in their ability to speak or tell stories about topics like death, war, or violence because they don't want to run afoul of this law.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vorbis

Didn't vote since I'm not American, but I will say this, the same law has been in effect in the UK for many years and it's not a big deal. Guys behind the counter will get the sack if they are caught selling to minors, retailers can be fined. Like alchohol and cigarette, if a kid wants them, they get their parents to buy it for them.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Feanor

Law or not this isn't a big deal. Stores will still have policies in place that prevent minors from buying games. Angry mothers are all we need to keep this in check.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Branthog
@williamrlbaker said:

" No, tobacco and Alcahol are harmful and unlawful for minors, Movie theaters aren't allowed to sell movie tickets to minors without a parent or guardian present to mature rated movies, It should be the same with mature rated games. "

The ignorance of the average American is what I find the most painful. They're so willing to submit their rights up to mother-government, because they don't have a clue about them.

First of all, there is no law forbidding the sales or viewing of films to minors. There is an industry ratings system which is entirely voluntary that movie theaters typically abide by. It is the same with videogames. There isn't a law against sales of Mature games to minors (they've tried, but it continues to be struck down by sensible people). There is only the ESRB, which is another voluntary industry ratings board that places (like retail stores) voluntarily adhere to.

As for my personal opinion? Well, more accurately, the opinion of the guys who founded the country and set out some pretty good documents that we can follow? It is nobody's business what kind of content someone consumers except themselves and -- in the case of a child - perhaps their parent.

There is absolutely no reasonable justification for the government and the rest of society to deem what is appropriate for a given person to watch, play, read, or listen to. And "but I can't control what my kids do 24x7" is hardly reasonable.

There are voluntary ratings systems for the movies and games industry and they do a very good job sticking to that system (even though I disagree with it). There is NO necessity for a government enforcement of it, even if it wasn't abhorrent . . . because children aren't getting the games by walking into Gamestop and picking them up. The only point of this bullshit is political grand-standing.

Of course, the constitution has fuck all to do with anything. Our society has allowed and even contributed to the erosion of the Constitution for decades -- especially in the past decade and has largely become a joke. "it's un-Constitutional" means jack shit when it's all really just mob-rule.

And really, equating it to controlled substances? Good grief.
Carlozz34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Carlozz34

I don't know if its unconsitutional or not, so i can only state if i think it's right or wrong to fine retailers. I am 21 and live in sweden, and i have been able to buy 18+ games since i was ten years old or something.  The age rating of a game should be more of a recommendation than a law. I don't know if fining a retailer is a solution, but i definately think it is wrong if a retailer sells a violent game to a minor when a parent isn't present. In the end it should always be up to a childs parent whether or not to grant the freedom to play adult games. It also depends on how young the child is, and how far up on the scale the game is rated. I guess it is wishfull thinking that people should just act out of common sense, instead of having all of these laws.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LegalBagel
@Branthog said:
Of course, the constitution has fuck all to do with anything. Our society has allowed and even contributed to the erosion of the Constitution for decades -- especially in the past decade and has largely become a joke. "it's un-Constitutional" means jack shit when it's all really just mob-rule.
I don't really see how you can say that.  Free speech is more protected than ever by the current Supreme Court.  If this law doesn't get struck down in a simple unanimous ruling I'll be very surprised. 

Say what you will about political grandstanding, but the Constitution and Supreme Court in protecting rights has done pretty well for itself in most areas.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

It should be against the law just because it means we're stopping dipshits behind a counter from being such dipshits. 

Look, I'm all for "freedom of speech" and "no more censorship", but I'm also of the sound mind and body that parents need to be held responsible in more situations.  This law will fine the retailers if they act stupid, and in turn, it will lead to them making the parents more aware of what the fuck their kids are doing...whether it just be in the games that they play or overall in life. 

I look at the big picture of the law, not the immediate idea that "ZOMG OUR FREEDOMZ R TAKEN AWAYZ!" like everyone else seems to do. 

If it takes retailers being fined over selling a video game that has clearly been labeled as a game recommended for 17+ in order to make them say "hey, your parent needs to be aware of this purchase", which in turn means that the game companies and retailers aren't going to get bullshit lawsuits from (X) parents because (X) kid decided to blame (Y) game for his shooting spree at school and that mom & dad not explaining the fucking difference between reality and fantasy to their child is...then fuck man, I understand the reasoning in more ways than one.  HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE, BATMAN!!! 

@Branthog said:

"There is absolutely no reasonable justification for the government and the rest of society to deem what is appropriate for a given person to watch, play, read, or listen to."
There's no justification for one body of people to judge, but it's alright for other bodies like the ESRB, MPAA, and RIAA to judge?  What, because they can't fine someone for being fucking retarded?  Are you saying that it should be easily accessible for an 8-year-old to walk into Gamestop and pick up a game that involves murder, bloodshed, sex, profanity, and everything else?  Who are YOU to judge that they should?  If it's your kid, then yeah, you've got the right to judge it.  If you aren't, then you need to make sure there is accountability in place.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By the8bitNacho
@williamrlbaker said:
This. A very vocal contingent of the United States believes video games to be harmful to minors, and so given that mindset there's nothing unconstitutional about it. It's the same as alcohol or cigarettes or whatever.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Branthog
@Deathpooky said:

" @Branthog said:

I don't really see how you can say that.  Free speech is more protected than ever by the current Supreme Court.  If this law doesn't get struck down in a simple unanimous ruling I'll be very surprised.  Say what you will about political grandstanding, but the Constitution and Supreme Court in protecting rights has done pretty well for itself in most areas. "
Uh. Yeah. Not so much.

Free speech zones, fenced in and topped with barbed wire?

Forbidding people to wear masks or other things that cover up their face in public?

PATRIOT Act?

Habeas corpus.

The FCC (massive censorship of just about everything and their attempt to weasel in on censoring the internet, where they have no jurisdiction).

There are entire cities where the second amendment no longer applies.

The fourth amendment largely doesn't apply to anyone anywhere anymore.

There are countless examples you can dig up just in the recent years, but you get the idea.
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LegalBagel
@Branthog: Not to get into a political argument on a gaming forum, but I definitely stand by my original statement.  Free speech is still more protected in America than about anywhere else, and the current Court is more absolutist about it than almost any other point in history.  If this doesn't get struck down I will be very very surprised. 

And the Second Amendment?  What?  The Second Amendment didn't even confer individual rights until a Court decision of 5 years ago.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Branthog
@jakob187 said:
" It should be against the law just because it means we're stopping dipshits behind a counter from being such dipshits. 

Look, I'm all for "freedom of speech" and "no more censorship", but I'm also of the sound mind and body that parents need to be held responsible in more situations.  This law will fine the retailers if they act stupid, and in turn, it will lead to them making the parents more aware of what the fuck their kids are doing...whether it just be in the games that they play or overall in life. 

I look at the big picture of the law, not the immediate idea that "ZOMG OUR FREEDOMZ R TAKEN AWAYZ!" like everyone else seems to do. 

If it takes retailers being fined over selling a video game that has clearly been labeled as a game recommended for 17+ in order to make them say "hey, your parent needs to be aware of this purchase", which in turn means that the game companies and retailers aren't going to get bullshit lawsuits from (X) parents because (X) kid decided to blame (Y) game for his shooting spree at school and that mom & dad not explaining the fucking difference between reality and fantasy to their child is...then fuck man, I understand the reasoning in more ways than one.  HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE, BATMAN!!! 

@Branthog said:
"There is absolutely no reasonable justification for the government and the rest of society to deem what is appropriate for a given person to watch, play, read, or listen to."
There's no justification for one body of people to judge, but it's alright for other bodies like the ESRB, MPAA, and RIAA to judge?  What, because they can't fine someone for being fucking retarded?  Are you saying that it should be easily accessible for an 8-year-old to walk into Gamestop and pick up a game that involves murder, bloodshed, sex, profanity, and everything else?  Who are YOU to judge that they should?  If it's your kid, then yeah, you've got the right to judge it.  If you aren't, then you need to make sure there is accountability in place. "
Are you really this fucking daft?

First of all, you say that parents should be more responsible for controlling the material their kids consume... BY MAKING RETAILERS ACCOUNTABLE. That's the opposite of making parents the responsible party here.

Second of all, do you really not grasp the fucking difference between voluntary industry ratings systems and THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT censoring things and penalizing people based upon that?

if you think your kids are going to completely lose their shit for the rest of their life because they saw some animated violence or a polygonal tit (or read Tommyknockers, or listened to Cop Killer), then you should just tie your kid to a leash and strap the other end on to you, because the rest of society isn't accountable for raising your kid.

Your logic is entirely fucking backwards. It's very simple. No censorship. If you don't want your eight year old to play COD or GTA, don't let them. But don't make this giant fucking leap that because you have certain expectations within your own family that they should therefore be applied to everyone else in the world -- and further, by the government and with the weight of criminal punishment. People like you scare the fucking shit out of me.

PS: You know what happens when you are a kid and you try to buy an M-rated game? They tell you they can't sell it to you. This whole concept that "children are running around buying these games left and right with no control!" is fabricated. The voluntary system does its job. Of course, the parents should be doing their job, instead, but we all know that parents can't be bothered raising their own children. They're too busy getting ready to squirt out more.
ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowKing7

This shouldn't even need to be a law to begin with.  Don't stores already have policies that if you buy an M-rated game you have to be carded to check your age?  I've went to the same Gamestop for the past couple of years and I always get carded for M-rated games even though I'm 19, so some places still adhere to the damn rating system.  If a parent buys their kid an M-rated game, then they should know what kinda content is in the game before making that purchase instead of just assuming all games are for young kids.  But of course, we can't blame parents who don't do their job, God forbid that, it's NEVER a parent's fault for being stupid, it's always the entertainment or the stores who sell such entertainment.
Avatar image for williamrlbaker@
williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By williamrlbaker

lol I just woke up, and I realized I clicked no before...as in its not constitutional.  you should have said Unconstitutional.  And yes I was wrong but right about alcahol and tobacco, and how laws get made in those cases is this same process so its not unconstitutional.

@christonIce
why is it every thing I've seen you post, you come across as the worlds largest  Douche? I don't know why, but Every thing I read from you seems to have this implied tone of upper brow, belief in your own superiority And Condescending manner...I think its because you often post more then you need too, you could have replied to me with about only 10% of what you said. sorry.