• 60 results
#51 Posted by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

I figure they will still be making "boxart" for games; kind of like how Steam has the integrated cover images for different modes/big screen. I haven't been really able to find many "good" boxart's lately that don't require me to import a game or print at staples. Who knows.

#52 Posted by Sinusoidal (1260 posts) -

Was box art ever good? It seems most people remember the ones that are terrible the most fondly. Megaman, Phalanx...

I take that back, Phalanx's art was awesome.

#53 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

Box art for me died when PC games started coming in smaller boxes. Remember the old massive box sizes? I can't even find a decent image on Google. It seems like something lost in time.

i bought this back in the day. I still have the disks, but everything else is gone :(

Fun fact, the back of the manual had four Eidos ads on it. One of them said "Daikatana: Believe the Hype"

#54 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3147 posts) -

Yo boxart this generation actually started to get quite good. 

@BestUsernameEver said:

@MikkaQ said:

They still make album covers for music despite the fact that nobody has bought a CD in over 12 years.

True, but cover art used to be interesting and iconic, I can't think of any recent (last 10 years) album arts that are praised. Remember the sg. pepper art, pink floyd art, daft punks debut album? They're all known as pretty much transcending album art, to being culture symbols.

Wasn't Kanye's a pretty big deal a couple years ago?               
I mean it was more a talk about the album but the artwork really stuck out and felt iconic to me, but obviously not on a level like Sgt. Pepper. 
#55 Edited by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Even if it were true that boxes were going away forever, it doesn't stop PSN and Steam and XBL from needing art to promote their games. 
Think about it. Every time you see "Update News" on Steam with a new game launch, there's still some form of box art. 

Don't be crazy.

#56 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

@clstirens said:

@TyCobb said:

Box art for me died when PC games started coming in smaller boxes. Remember the old massive box sizes? I can't even find a decent image on Google. It seems like something lost in time.

i bought this back in the day. I still have the disks, but everything else is gone :(

Fun fact, the back of the manual had four Eidos ads on it. One of them said "Daikatana: Believe the Hype"

That's awesome. The old boxes are display worthy nowadays just because of their sheer size. Looking at that box and it makes me think of GameStop's promo items. God I want those old boxes to come back. I would probably start buying physical copies again if they did. I miss the sound of the Velcro tearing when opening the front flap.

#57 Posted by Jahbu (20 posts) -

Box art will just translate to digital title covers...much in the vain of how they are used on Steams storefront.

#58 Posted by Hunter5024 (5504 posts) -

I guess if this all digital future that people are clamoring for finally comes to pass then thumbnails of covers will replace covers. Maybe we will get like Top 10 Video Game Thumbnails, and Thumbnail of the Year awards.

#59 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

Boxart will be a thing only as long as boxes are a thing. But promotional art will never die.

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Ehh, there's always room in the online store for where the box art can go. Staring at a list of titles would be too bland.

@MattyFTM said:

Retail games aren't going away anywhere fast. Everyone keeps going on about this "all digital future", but it's a long way off. A lot longer than some people are predicting.

And even when they do disappear, games still need a flashy, attention grabbing piece of art to get people's attention. It won't strictly be a "box art" since there isn't a box for it to be on, but it'll be there on digital storefronts. In fact, digital games just gives more freedom for that kind of stuff. Instead of needing to be the exact size of a DVD case, it's possible to have different shapes and sizes. No need to conform to such restrictive size limitations. It's not strictly box art but it serves the same purpose.

#60 Posted by EuanDewar (4683 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@MikkaQ said:

They still make album covers for music despite the fact that nobody has bought a CD in over 12 years.

True, but cover art used to be interesting and iconic, I can't think of any recent (last 10 years) album arts that are praised. Remember the sg. pepper art, pink floyd art, daft punks debut album? They're all known as pretty much transcending album art, to being culture symbols.

I still think there's a lot of cool album art being made today. It's just not as big of a deal these days I guess. But I feel like if I were looking back in 10 years I'd fondly remember a good number of them. Like that first Justice cover of the giant gold space-cross, that was pretty dramatic.

You don't get the good album covers cause your godamn county bans them