#1 Posted by doe3879 (772 posts) -

Mostly as in fixed camera from the old 3rd person point of view.

Nearly all high budget games are played from over the shoulder or having the playable character permanently stay in centre of the screen. With the hardware capable of free camera movement and 3rd person camera control down to a science, is the art of manually choosing camera angle for each scene a thing of the past? I like running to the left or right, and toward the screen other then going forward at all time. It also allow me to see more of the character in action other then always staying within the same perspective. I just find the modern 3rd person perspective boring. Game like Assassin Creed and Infamous looks really interesting to me, but I couldn't get myself to play them for more then an hour.

The few games I can think of that still use fix camera are Devil May Cry, God of War and only handful of others. Is the perspective a thing of the past? Most game that have "fixed" camera angel also give the option to freely rotate camera as well. Is it too expensive to manually program in camera for each scene while also giving camera control or is it a thing that not necessary any more?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

Unfortunately, it still seems to infect a handful of games. I remember that Alice 2 had some fixed camera areas; thankfully they were few and far between.

#3 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

I hope so. The last game I played with fixed cameras that wasn't God of War was terrible.

#4 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

It seems to be. I wish they'd bring it back for Final Fantasy though.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Fixed camera angles are more for specific scenes (running away from a thing, running on walls or swinging on ropes).

I've been playing Silent Hill 2 the last few days, and it's tough. If you use tank controls you're stuck with tank controls. If you use direct control, you wind up with weird control situations when the camera changes angle and suddenly you're holding the stick back the way you came.

Modern controls really are just tank controls, but with rotate moved to the right stick, and sidestep on the left stick.

#6 Posted by Humanity (7957 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Fixed camera angles are more for specific scenes (running away from a thing, running on walls or swinging on ropes). I've been playing Silent Hill 2 the last few days, and it's tough. If you use tank controls you're stuck with tank controls. If you use direct control, you wind up with weird control situations when the camera changes angle and suddenly you're holding the stick back the way you came. Modern controls really are just tank controls, but with rotate moved to the right stick, and sidestep on the left stick.

So they're not really anything like modern controls then? In modern games the right stick doesn't spin your character in place which is the biggest problem with tank controls.

Adventure games can use those angles all they want and it even enhances the atmosphere but modern action games should really do away with it - as they should completely ban the concept of running away from an insta-death enemy while running towards the camera.

#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6061 posts) -

All I know is, after playing some Alan Wake, that 45 degree run across the screen whilst the camera goes forward is jarring as fuck. Why isn't this game in first person damnit.

#8 Posted by EVO (3782 posts) -

Beyond: Two Souls is fixed, right?

#9 Posted by Ryanmc94 (60 posts) -

@EVO said:

pfft who would know? From memory Heavy Rain had a fixed camera. The right stick was used to move your head. A control decision I still haven't come to grips with even after finishing the game 4 times.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (20581 posts) -

God of War Ascension will probably still have 'em - for the single-player at least. But the GoW franchise is the rare example of pulling off fixed camera angles right in an action game, offering the intended additional layer of cinematic flair while also giving you enough of a perspective to not feel cheated.

#11 Posted by Village_Guy (2407 posts) -

It still happens, can't remember a game where I really liked it in the past few years though.

The original Spyro games were pretty good about having the camera track you, so you didn't have to babysit it, if I remember correctly. I also seem to recall that game having one of the guys making it being the dedicated camera-guy (or whatever you call it).

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Humanity

@Brodehouse said:

Fixed camera angles are more for specific scenes (running away from a thing, running on walls or swinging on ropes). I've been playing Silent Hill 2 the last few days, and it's tough. If you use tank controls you're stuck with tank controls. If you use direct control, you wind up with weird control situations when the camera changes angle and suddenly you're holding the stick back the way you came. Modern controls really are just tank controls, but with rotate moved to the right stick, and sidestep on the left stick.

So they're not really anything like modern controls then? In modern games the right stick doesn't spin your character in place which is the biggest problem with tank controls.

Adventure games can use those angles all they want and it even enhances the atmosphere but modern action games should really do away with it - as they should completely ban the concept of running away from an insta-death enemy while running towards the camera.

The right stick absolutely spins your character in place in any locked perspective game. It doesn't in floating perspective games (like Uncharted) but it does in locked perspective games (like Gears or any FPS game).

There are moments in Resident Evil 5 where it shows your character in a floating third person mode (to show something else happening) but maintains the locked perspective controls. It's when I noticed that modern over-the-shoulder games are just tank controls with a better camera angle (and rotation bound to the right stick rather than the left).
#13 Posted by JackSukeru (5817 posts) -

The Mario Galaxy games used a lot of fixed angles and had camera control only in select areas. It mostly worked fine given the linearity of the levels but could get really frustrating when trying to scan for green stars in 2 for example.

#14 Posted by ProfessorK (797 posts) -

Usually only character action games use it to any great effect anymore and that's fine with me.

#15 Posted by ProfessorK (797 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I seriously wouldn't take RE5 as a shining example of modern TPS control.

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@ProfessorK ... The left stick moves you forward and sidesteps, the right stick rotates you and looks up and down. That's a locked perspective and it's extremely common.
#17 Edited by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

I thought Uncharted 2 utilized the fixed camera really well at points where you needed to climb and to show where really important stuff was happening.

#18 Posted by killacam (1283 posts) -

@Ryanmc94 said:

@EVO said:

pfft who would know? From memory Heavy Rain had a fixed camera. The right stick was used to move your head. A control decision I still haven't come to grips with even after finishing the game 4 times.

see, the fixed camera totally makes sense for a cinematic game like this. la noire, silent hill, they all greatly benefit from this because it does so much for the atmosphere, but it's a total tradeoff. in mgs3, the old fixed camera was impossible to play with and had you running directly into enemies way more often than should be, but it looked way better than the behind-the-back third person camera just because it's more conducive to a visual style.

#19 Posted by Yorkin (135 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I'd say that the ability to strafe makes the controls in modern third person shooters absolutely not tank-like.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Yorkin Actually, Silent Hill 2 (probably others) has strafing, but it's on the shoulders rather than left-right on the left-stick. I'd actually like to see how that would play if they had fixed camera, but forward-back-strafe on the left stick and rotate and look up-down on the right. I'm extremely good at thinking in 3D space, I can orient my mind to my character's facing without a lot of difficulty ... If there's a problem with those tank controls in survival horror, it's that they were clunky and unresponsive. I'd like to see what happens if they handle well but still have the fixed camera.
#21 Posted by gkhan (360 posts) -

Just been playing Walking Dead, that has sort-of a fixed camera.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

No.

#23 Posted by xyzygy (9625 posts) -

I thought that Lords of Shadow's cameras were great.

#24 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I hope so.

#25 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

I admit I like the pre-rendered backgrounds that a fixed camera enables. Sure these days you can render that in real time, but you never get the painting like quality of something like the Syberia games unless you have a pre-rendered picture.