Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is the PlayStation Gold headset worth buying?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Krullban

I need a headset for only my PS4, and I heard it goes well with the companion app. Is it something worth the money though?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got one, I like it and use it for my PC as well. My friends say I sound muffled at times but can understand me well enough

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one, I like it and use it for my PC as well. My friends say I sound muffled at times but can understand me well enough

I don't really chat, I'm more concerned with the audio quality.

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have those and so far they have been really good for listening to video game stuff and Netflix late at night when I don't want to disturb anyone, but when I comes to online play and talking with friends I think the Turtle beaches I bought for my Xbox 360 back in the day work better for that. I haven't used the companion app with them though, what ever that is.

Is it worth the money? I mean, sure there are alot of other headsets you can get that give you a bit better sound quality but those are maybe 50 bucks more than this one. I say, yes, yes they are worth the money. I like how I can use them for both my PS3 and PS4. Be warned though, its one of those electronics that require charging so if you F-up the battery you are going to have to buy a new set.

Hope that helps

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Krullban

@tjmasterk: if I don't want to deal with the battery is it possible to just plug them into my laptop and still have them work on my ps4? My laptop is always right next to me.

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: I mean, it uses a mini USB cable to charge so I don't see why not. It comes with a short cable though so if you don't have one already I would try and grab a longer one.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I use one for all my ps4 gaming and have never had a problem with it, the sound is clear and it seems to keep a full charge for long enough. I installed the app but never found much use for it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@krullban: You get a charge cable with it, but it's rather short. It uses the same cable as the controllers. You can use it while it's plugged in.

You can also use it while it's turned off (or not charged) without the audio equalizer app by using another supplied cable to connect it to the audio jack of the controller.

I've never been told I sound muffled using mine.

For the money the cost they're pretty good. Sound great, very comfortable and you can use them on your PS4, anything with an audio jack and your PC. The companion app is really good too, makes some games sound so much better. Infamous Second Son has all this music that plays from shop fronts and bars, that I couldn't hear from my TV but could hear it perfectly with the headset and the Infamous profile.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like mine. You can also plug it into another device with the included 3.5mm cable.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Krullban

So I bought one, and it doesn't seem to be charging. I plug it in and the red light turns on, but then just turns off after a couple of seconds, and I know it's not because it's already charged. It won't turn on.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By geardo

It keeps a good charge and it has solid sound quality for games and movies on PS4 and PS3. I haven't used it for chat yet, so I can't comment on that. It has an over-ear design which is mandatory for long sessions though.

I have a Wii U and 360 as well and use a 3.5mm cable hooked up from my TV to the headset when gaming with those, and it doesn't sound quite as good - my only quibble.

I haven't used any of the high end headsets out there so I don't know how the golds compare to those; but on their own, they're a fairly good value.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have one and I have a couple complaints. First and foremost the audio crackles and cuts out from time to time, it doesn't matter if I'm using it wirelessly or have it plugged directly into the controller. This doesn't happen if I'm using the headset for my macbook or phone so it's kind of odd. I have heard this issue can be solved by using a USB adapter that turns the dongle 90 degrees but I simply don't feel like going to the trouble of finding said adapter. The other complaint isn't that big of a deal but the plastic plates on the side will pop off occasionally (they can be reattached but still a minor annoyance).

On the plus side it is comfortable to wear and the mic seems to work well enough.

cogbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if it is still on sale, but with the promo code IGNA30, you can get the Astro A30 for $50. That about as low as that great headset will ever get.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

I don't really see the point in these headsets when the PS4 controller has a headphone jack so you can just use proper headphones. Hell I can even use my portable headphones on the PS4 for chatting which surprised me. (they have an in-line mic)

I don't want another thing to charge either, the PS4 controller is a chore to charge as it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.