#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

The show from yesterday, I missed it.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5074 posts) -

They usually are

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

There was no mention of it in the first hour or so I watched, but it probably will be.

If you want a summary:

• Sandbox beta in December.
  • No Achievements
  • No quests.

Those are the key points. Most of the actual site design stuff has been shown off before and it hasn't changed a great deal. A new moderation tool to show if there are other users using the same IP address as a user blows my mind and is the greatest thing ever. But that's more of a personal thing than something which effects you.

#4 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS EVER SINCE THE BIG LIVE LIVE SHOW AND NOW I MISSED IT?

Fuck.

#5 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

• No Achievements
  • No quests.

Extremely disappointing, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Still... :(

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11924 posts) -

I hope so, I was only able to watch part of it =(

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@MattyFTM said:

• No Achievements
  • No quests.

Achievements would take far too long to implement because of the lack of an API on the console makers end, and with new consoles on the horizon it's better to wait until they come out to look into doing that stuff.

Quests are kind of janky and break the site in a bunch of ways and stuff.

All the achievement and quest data is being stored, so if/when they make a comeback at some point, all the data can be restored.

#8 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

It wasn't archived last time.
But last time they showed it again on the Big Live Live Show Live anyway.

#9 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for clarifying, will be refreshing with a forum that doesn't have new "MY TROPHIES ARENT SYNCED"-threads every day.

#10 Posted by Ravelle (1261 posts) -

I hope so, since I live in Europe I only got to see it for half an hour until it was 2 AM, would love to see the rest if it's archived at all.

#11 Edited by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -

I won't miss quests, that stuff got old fast. However, I hope achievements will return at some point.

@Ravelle said:

I hope so, since I live in Europe I only got to see it for half an hour until it was 2 AM, would love to see the rest if it's archived at all.

Same here.

#12 Posted by Baillie (4144 posts) -

No fucking achievements? Why the hell not? Surely being a wiki and all, they could allow users to add achievements, then just have your account linked like it is now. Pulling in the data?

WHAT.

#13 Posted by NicksCorner (416 posts) -

I really hope it was archived. I live in Europe as well and the show aired past midnight :(

#14 Posted by stalefishies (332 posts) -

It's a shame the achievements are going, they were pretty cool. I hope that they actually get some proper APIs so that they could get them back at some point, so I hope the next wave of consoles push this along, though I'm sure they'll try and change as little of the infrastructure as possible so it's doubtful as to whether they consider an API worth it or not.

The 'First!' quest was the worst thing to happen to the site, so I'm glad that it's going. Quests as a whole were just kind of weird, really.

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Baillie said:

No fucking achievements? Why the hell not? Surely being a wiki and all, they could allow users to add achievements, then just have your account linked like it is now. Pulling in the data?

WHAT.

Having users manually add achievements to games would be awful, there is so much room for error there. It's simpler to get the data straight from the company behind the console, that way you can't add non-existent achievements and avoid duplicates. Also less tedious.

#16 Posted by alternate (2702 posts) -

The achievement things seems to cause them an awful lot of grief. Bugs forum is full of complaints about them not working.

#17 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Achievements are busted more often than not anyway.

#18 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@Baillie said:

WHAT.

"Pulling in the data" isn't as simple as it sounds. Neither Microsoft or Sony has an API for pulling data from. The current system scrapes data from the Xbox Live and PSN websites directly. That is a terribly inefficient way of doing things, takes a lot of man-hours to program, and everytime the Xbox/PSN websites are redesigned, even just slightly, the entire system breaks and has to be rebuilt. And they like to change their site around. A lot.

Hopefully with the next generation of consoles on the horizon, console makers will make that data more easily accessible and they'll be able to reimplement it. But as of now, it's just not feasible. Shout at Microsoft and Sony about it.

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

So the redesign is removing features? Brilliant.

#20 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

Hope we can get some staff confirmation here, was working and missed it :(

#21 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

A new moderation tool to show if there are other users using the same IP address as a user blows my mind and is the greatest thing ever. But that's more of a personal thing than something which effects you.

Sorry for not really being savvy enough to understand this, but what good does this do you guys? I understand it could help figure out if a user has multiple accounts (and hopefully won't get confused with people sharing a house that both have active GB accounts). Is that about it?

#22 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@MattyFTM said:

• No Achievements
  • No quests.

I guess this is why there hasn't seem to be much concern in regards to all the threads of people having trouble updating achievements on here. Because they will be gone! Oh well, I always enjoyed looking at them on here more-so than anything but I'm happy to see quests go. Maybe there won't be 10 comments on videos of people posting quickly without watching the vid with just one word or a letter followed by "edit: DAMN!".... oh who am I kidding of course there will still be.

#23 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@MattyFTM said:

A new moderation tool to show if there are other users using the same IP address as a user blows my mind and is the greatest thing ever. But that's more of a personal thing than something which effects you.

Sorry for not really being savvy enough to understand this, but what good does this do you guys? I understand it could help figure out if a user has multiple accounts (and hopefully won't get confused with people sharing a house that both have active GB accounts). Is that about it?

Yeah, that's about it. But that's an awesome tool for discovering alt accounts. Currently, we have to manually check IP addresses between accounts to see if they're the same. Which is obviously problematic. If someone creates an alt account, we first have to suspect them of being an alt, then check the IP against our records. Just being able to look at a banned users account and see any others using the same IP address is AWESOME!!!!

Of course, every IP match isn't going to be an alt account, we understand that people share IPs, but it's an extremely good indicator.

#24 Posted by Peve (14 posts) -

I hope it is going to appear, too late for me to stay up and watch it.

#25 Posted by Baillie (4144 posts) -

@MattyFTM: It works now though. It's something the community loves, it's just pretty lame. I guess it's mostly due to the way Sony deal with it. Would rather appease both fans, but who cares bout those trophies? No one, friend. NO ONE.

Also, if there isn't going to be achievement linking, I do hope there will be an achievement page.

@MikkaQ said:

Having users manually add achievements to games would be awful, there is so much room for error there. It's simpler to get the data straight from the company behind the console, that way you can't add non-existent achievements and avoid duplicates. Also less tedious.

You're crazy, duder! This is a wiki. It's not that hard to get the achievements on there, other websites do it easily. We aren't savages banging together rocks trying to figure out how to transfer information from one place to another.

#26 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@MattyFTM: It works now though. It's something the community loves, it's just pretty lame. I guess it's mostly due to the way Sony deal with it. Would rather appease both fans, but who cares bout those trophies? No one, friend. NO ONE.

Also, if there isn't going to be achievement linking, I do hope there will be an achievement page.

Microsoft and Sony handle it in pretty much the same way. And I believe both Sony and Microsoft achievements have been at least partially broken for quite some time. Steam are the only ones with a decent API for that stuff and is the only one working properly.

And "It works now" really means nothing. Everything that works now has to be completely scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up. This isn't a redesign, it's a complete rebuild. Every single thing has to be completely rebuilt. It's not as simple as pulling the old stuff over and giving it a new coat of paint.

#27 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -
#28 Posted by Fattony12000 (7402 posts) -