Is the PSP Go too expensive?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

$250 sounds like a lot for the devise, making it over $60 more expensive than the 3000. I thought it would be the same price (or cheaper) considering it has less "stuff" in it. Or is my thinking wrong? Is there an upgrade I'm not aware of? I'll have to wait and see how well its supported post-launch. If it ends up getting the same-ol' PSP third-party support, no thankyou sir!

Also, is it officially called PSP GO? I just remember Kaz saying 'we have a lot of names for this".

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Ross

I thought it was gonna be $200.  It has a smaller screen but 16 gigabytes of internal memory.  I don't know hopefully it will be worth it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
@EpicSteve said:
" $250 sounds like a lot for the devise, making it over $60 more expensive than the 3000. I thought it would be the same price (or cheaper) considering it has less "stuff" in it. Or is my thinking wrong? Is there an upgrade I'm not aware of? I'll have to wait and see how well its supported post-launch. If it ends up getting the same-ol' PSP third-party support, no thankyou sir!Also, is it officially called PSP GO? I just remember Kaz saying 'we have a lot of names for this". "
It has internal flash memory. But i agree, still too much.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Since i already have one, yes. I dont think Sony understands that concept though

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By torus
@EpicSteve: When he said "we have a lot of names" he was making a joke about the fact that it was leaked before the conference; aka, "the worst-kept secret of E3" (or something).
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EpicSteve
@JJWeatherman said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
" $250 sounds like a lot for the devise, making it over $60 more expensive than the 3000. I thought it would be the same price (or cheaper) considering it has less "stuff" in it. Or is my thinking wrong? Is there an upgrade I'm not aware of? I'll have to wait and see how well its supported post-launch. If it ends up getting the same-ol' PSP third-party support, no thankyou sir!Also, is it officially called PSP GO? I just remember Kaz saying 'we have a lot of names for this". "
It has internal flash memory. But i agree, still too much. "
I totally appreciate the flash memory, but I can't imagine it costing Sony that much to give out 16gb. Even if it's totally justified, still expensive for a product I don't have confidence in. Maybe it's a "me too!" thing,because Nintendo get away with re-releasing hardware.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By choffy21

Jack Trenton said at the end of the conference that they aren't contempt with where they are right now. To me, keeping the same price point for two years now for the PS3 and $250 for a slidy PSP.

Sounds pretty contempt to me...
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PercyChuggs

It is absolutely about $100 overpriced.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_
@PercyChuggs said:
" It is absolutely about $100 overpriced. "
That's a pipe dream.

It's probably more like $50 overpriced, although we don't necessarily know what the internal specifications are. OLED? Upgraded wi-fi spec? What have they *done* with the machine to make it worth $70 extra for a smaller screen? Is the battery life much better? They'd better have some good justifications for it.
DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeadMan

I guess I will just stick with my PSP for now, 250 is too much, might as well buy a Wii instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty shocked when they said the price point. I think it's definitely way too expensive. It shouldn't be anymore than $200 max.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

its more of a multimedia PSP than a gaming PSP... you

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PercyChuggs
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
That's a pipe dream.

It's probably more like $50 overpriced, although we don't necessarily know what the internal specifications are. OLED? Upgraded wi-fi spec? What have they *done* with the machine to make it worth $70 extra for a smaller screen? Is the battery life much better? They'd better have some good justifications for it.
"
It does fewer things, with a smaller screen, than the PSP-3000, which costs $169.
Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Yes.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
@PercyChuggs said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
That's a pipe dream.

"
It does fewer things, with a smaller screen, than the PSP-3000, which costs $169. "
What features did it lose besides the UMD drive? It's a new device with all of the features and functionality of the previous PSPs with a much smaller and lighter form factor. You think that would cost *less*? Especially with the memory addition that we already know about, plus features we might not know about yet? That makes no sense.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PercyChuggs
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
That's a pipe dream.

"
It does fewer things, with a smaller screen, than the PSP-3000, which costs $169. "
What features did it lose besides the UMD drive? It's a new device with all of the features and functionality of the previous PSPs with a much smaller and lighter form factor. You think that would cost *less*? Especially with the memory addition that we already know about, plus features we might not know about yet? That makes no sense.
"
I am guessing internal memory costs a lot less to put into that thing than a UMD drive does. And if the thing had features we don't know about yet, Sony would have been touting them during the reveal. And I highly doubt making the thing smaller cost Sony that much money.
clovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clovy

I think that it is definitely too high. I guess ill stick to my original psp for now until the go drops price. (175-200) seems like a good decent range for me.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
@PercyChuggs said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@PercyChuggs said:
That's a pipe dream.

"
"
I am guessing internal memory costs a lot less to put into that thing than a UMD drive does. And if the thing had features we don't know about yet, Sony would have been touting them during the reveal. And I highly doubt making the thing smaller cost Sony that much money. "
Regardless, it's in line with comparable media devices and it really has no competitor in terms of games, the PSP and the DS are completely different. I agree that $250 is too much, but expecting it to be $150 is ridiculous.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I think if they are going to say that each product offers two different experiences they need to keep the prices somewhat close together. Besides, it seems you get a better value with the PSP 3000 because you can get cheaper games opposed to a digital distribution only service.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Maybe a bit. Depends on what it can do in hand.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Definitely overpriced. That is close to PSP "1000's" launch price ($300.00)

..and what the hell is with this "1000, 2000, 3000" bullshit? Can't believe they are making a fourth PSP already, none of them being direct sequels to the original either.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayge_

Oh, here's a press release detailing all of the PSP Go!'s specs. What a fucking joke. still at B-spec wireless and a normal shitty LCD screen with no details on the battery? What? Sony can go fuck themselves on that one.

At least we get tons of great games :3

Edit: And still apparently a plastic screen with no protection. On a slider device. What hath hell wrought upon us?
haytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haytek

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I have a feeling that they will keep that price stable through the holiday season and phase out the PSP 3000 after Christmas, lowering the PSP Go to $200 in February 2010. I can wait that long.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

In the immortal words of the "Macho Man" Randy Savage:

OOOHHHH YEAAAHH!!!!!
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jNerd

I really want this new PSP Go but I feel that Sony has limited me by pricing it @ $250. I have sooo many other GAMING things I could purchase for that loot.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64

I think it is.  This Christmas people will look at the DSi and PSP Go! and say "Hey, the DSi is cheaper.  I'll get this on for little Timmy."

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#29  Edited By TobyD81

Yeah, too expensive. This was the PSP I wanted, but now I still might wait some more.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kiemoe

Yeah. I was really shocked, because none of the features seemed like anything much better than the original PSP (I have an 8GB Memory Stick), so the same price for the 3000, up to $200 seems like the most reasonable price to me.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DukesT3

Yea it seems overpriced to me. 16gb internal memory? Ok..? It has a smaller screen. still no second nub. And is it touch screen? From the looks of it, I thought it would be like a nano with the ipods. Something smaller and cheaper. It sucks because I was looking forward to buying a PSP this year. Guess i'll just have to wait.. fuck! 

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By doe3879

I just think it's stupid that PSP and PSP go use different memory slot...

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cspiffo

It definatley seems overpriced but I still find it very compelling.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ninjakiller

Wicked retarded, also ps3 needs a freaking price cut of $100 right now!

Smike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Smike

As much as I was waiting for the rumored redesign of the PSP, I think this is too expensive so I think I'll wait I untill Sony finally gets a clue and make significant price reduction...

noiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By noiz

Way too expensive. It's like they ran out of the R&D money for the touch screen but forgot to tell the people who set the msrp. It's weird that they seem to think the psp's size is limiting it's sales so much. At least a noticeable increase in software support is coming with it.

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By freakin

Sony is trying to compete with the Iphone, problem is for them, the iphone games are all under 10 bucks.  Plus there's the whole lack of a phone deal.  Though I am a touch surprised the PSP has sold... 50 million? 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

Don't you nah-sayers read the papers?  Sony needs your money.  Besides, you are not just buying a portable gaming device, you are purchasing a brand identity that identifies you as an individual who understands quality and demands nothing but the finest in their gaming hardware.  You are buying membership to a very special group who have the vision to see the future and want to be a part of a better tomorrow.  A tomorrow brought to you by Sony, today...and by "today" I mean this fall.

Yeah, it's over priced by a minimum of $50.00.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teh_Eel

It looks nice and Sony hardware is usually very good so I dont mind paying how every much it will be in the UK (my guess around £180)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EpicSteve
@PenguinDust said:
" Don't you nah-sayers read the papers?  Sony needs your money.  Besides, you are not just buying a portable gaming device, you are purchasing a brand identity that identifies you as an individual who understands quality and demands nothing but the finest in their gaming hardware.  You are buying membership to a very special group who have the vision to see the future and want to be a part of a better tomorrow.  A tomorrow brought to you by Sony, today...and by "today" I mean this fall.

Yeah, it's over priced by a minimum of $50.00. "
How much does Sony pay you to go on forums ;)
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hairydutchman

WAY too expensive. About $70 I would say.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus

The iPod touch is overpriced, PSP GO, not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the PSP Go too expensive?

Is the Pope Catholic?
Do Bears poop in the woods?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By trophyhunter

yes it is

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrPerfect

At the moment I do not see the value in the PSP Go but maybe as time goes on and they release games and stuff for it , I might consider getting one. 

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Player1
@EpicSteve said:
"
@JJWeatherman said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
I totally appreciate the flash memory, but I can't imagine it costing Sony that much to give out 16gb. Even if it's totally justified, still expensive for a product I don't have confidence in. Maybe it's a "me too!" thing,because Nintendo get away with re-releasing hardware. "
Your right steve, there is no way in HELL that 16 gigs of memory is worth 60 dollars. The thing is. This go slides, so its "cool" in kids eyes. It has a better screen. Its more portable, and probably feels better in your hands. I'd personally prefer the bigger screen myself though. 
sage3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sage3k
@TripMasterMunky: I 2nd that..  especially since the PS3 is now $400. The PSP go should have been priced at around $150 to $200 MAX
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EpicSteve
@Player1 said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"
@JJWeatherman said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
I totally appreciate the flash memory, but I can't imagine it costing Sony that much to give out 16gb. Even if it's totally justified, still expensive for a product I don't have confidence in. Maybe it's a "me too!" thing,because Nintendo get away with re-releasing hardware. "
Your right steve, there is no way in HELL that 16 gigs of memory is worth 60 dollars. The thing is. This go slides, so its "cool" in kids eyes. It has a better screen. Its more portable, and probably feels better in your hands. I'd personally prefer the bigger screen myself though. 
"
It's just weird. They're not selling to the same crowd as the DS, and while people say Sony is competing with iPhone/iTouch, I don't think anyone specifically buys one of those devices for games. I can buy a Wii for that price, buy a 360 for $50 less, or buy a DSi along with a game or two.