Matt_chew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Matt_chew

This is my first blog post here!

How many years have Jack Thompson and other ill informed politicians, anti violence groups, and other been slandering the video game industry? Sure every time Wacky Jacky opens his mouth about Grand Theft Auto right as its being released, the game in question manages to sell millions of copies due in small part to the hatred of that man. That's one way of viewing the situation, and I think that's the route that the industry has been taking for all of these years. Here's my view of it though:

If you're walking down the street one day and you see someone with a similar stature and facial features as you rob a bank, and the cops arrest you and the real culprit is still at large, what are you going to do? YOU know you didn't rob the bank right? Are you going to remain silent about the ordeal and just hope that things work themselves out eventually, or stand up for yourself and say "That's not true!" I feel like the video game industry has been remaining silent, and for far too long. Sure, we've got the ESA and ECA, but where the hell were they when that dumb broad Cooper Lawrence was trashing Mass Effect? The only reason she ended up retracting her statments were because gamers flocked to Amaon to trash her book that she'd released. ANd she'd been quoted in saying that after she'd actually SEEN the "sex scenes" in Mass Effect, she didn't think they were that big of a deal. She went into the interview with an Agenda but ultimately we gamers and Geoff had to pick up the slack and do what the ESA and ECA  did not. Video game compainies need to take a stand and say that if you are going to slander our product without takking the time to find out more information about it, there will be reprocussions.

Matt_chew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Matt_chew

This is my first blog post here!

How many years have Jack Thompson and other ill informed politicians, anti violence groups, and other been slandering the video game industry? Sure every time Wacky Jacky opens his mouth about Grand Theft Auto right as its being released, the game in question manages to sell millions of copies due in small part to the hatred of that man. That's one way of viewing the situation, and I think that's the route that the industry has been taking for all of these years. Here's my view of it though:

If you're walking down the street one day and you see someone with a similar stature and facial features as you rob a bank, and the cops arrest you and the real culprit is still at large, what are you going to do? YOU know you didn't rob the bank right? Are you going to remain silent about the ordeal and just hope that things work themselves out eventually, or stand up for yourself and say "That's not true!" I feel like the video game industry has been remaining silent, and for far too long. Sure, we've got the ESA and ECA, but where the hell were they when that dumb broad Cooper Lawrence was trashing Mass Effect? The only reason she ended up retracting her statments were because gamers flocked to Amaon to trash her book that she'd released. ANd she'd been quoted in saying that after she'd actually SEEN the "sex scenes" in Mass Effect, she didn't think they were that big of a deal. She went into the interview with an Agenda but ultimately we gamers and Geoff had to pick up the slack and do what the ESA and ECA  did not. Video game compainies need to take a stand and say that if you are going to slander our product without takking the time to find out more information about it, there will be reprocussions.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Why would they silence that which, as you stated, generates so much revenue?
They are businesses attempting to make a profit, not to live up to a moral code.

sherwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By sherwood

Companies are scared to make any response to things like that. Anything they say these days can cause great controversy...It's a gamble most aren't willing to take. Unlike Rockstar, which has more balls than a golf course.

Matt_chew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Matt_chew

I don't understand why they'd be scared to go up against someone like Jack Thompson, who has no career yet still continues to threaten the industry.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bjorno

cash rules everything around me, the videogame industry is no different.
get money get paid.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Snipzor

I don't think they need to be angry at these people, afterall, any publicity is good publicity. Especially when those fighting against the industry only appeal to the paranoid and ignorant, which aren't even going to be in anyway part of their target market.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust
...dollar, dollar bill, ya'll... Game companies and the ESA do respond to slander when it is unjustified, however each battle must be careful and reasoned.  Even in America, stupidity will eventually unmasked for what it is.  It is not in the best interest of game publishers to further alienate their potential customers by appearing overly aggressive or defensive.  Properly timed reponses that don't add to the notion at the games industry is out to turn America's youth into homicidal perverts are better than quick knee-jerk reactions to such allegations.  Additionally, some mainstream media outlets are looking for a fight.  That's the reason why they have guests on who are ill informed but with an agenda to promote.  These networks want the games industry to appear as childish and self-centered as the guests who make these groundless accusations.  In the case of Cooper Lawrence, she was revealed as a fraud without the ESA having to get overly involved.  Their talents are best put to use fighting actual legislative attempts to impose censorship on the video game industry or responding to attempts to mandate morality by elected officials seeking to make some easy points with their political base.
Matt_chew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Matt_chew

@End_Boss- The controversy in and of itself is not the main reason why a game will sell so well, it's only a small part. People bought games like GTA 4, Bioshock and bully because of the hype around them.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
Matt_chew said:
"People bought games like GTA 4, Bioshock and bully because of the hype around them."
All people? I played GTA 4 because it was GTA. I played Bully because it was... GTA in highschool.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By atejas

Business is business. Negative publicity harms business either way. The only difference is that the key difference between videogames and other forms of media(interactivity) is being pushed as something which makes it seem too real, so it's taking more flak. For now, anyway.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Even slander is advertising. As long as it's nothing but airy words, they I don't think they would need to stop them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Jack Thompson is pure evil, and you NEVER fuck with pure evil. There was a time when I doubted that he was pure evil, but then I read a little more on him, and found out I was dead-on with the pure evil part. He will not rest until video games are purged from the very fabric of existence.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus
Video_Game_King said:
"Jack Thompson is pure evil, and you NEVER fuck with pure evil. There was a time when I doubted that he was pure evil, but then I read a little more on him, and found out I was dead-on with the pure evil part. He will not rest until video games are purged from the very fabric of existence."
He only wishes he was pure evil, than maybe his mission would be successful.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Suicrat
All things considered, Matt, the video game industry is far freer than other media love-to-hates (narcotics, alcohol, tobacco, fast food, firearms, nuclear power), so why should it start diverting some of its collective budgets from game development and into lobbying? Wait till the first federal regulations that target the industry get ratified before it comes to that.

End_Boss
said:
"Why would they silence that which, as you stated, generates so much revenue?They are businesses attempting to make a profit, not to live up to a moral code."
The two aren't mutually exclusive
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By TomA

Yes while we all love video games,it's a shameless,corporate business that for the most part doesn't care about the average user.But yes the video game industry is spineless,but there are a lot of developers out there who do care and try to do their best to make it awesome for the community and interact and gain information and just be nice to and make personal sacrifices to please the overall community because solid bonds between business' and customers go a long way in these trying times.