#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (747 posts) -

I've had the desire to buy a WiiU ever since they announced the Wind Waker bundle, but a big sticking point for me is being able to buy some of the old gems of the SNES' past. I was wondering how is the virtual console on the WiU? I'd love some Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Contra.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Not very good really. There are only NES and SNES games right now. No DKC2 or Super C. There is Earthbound though.

#3 Posted by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

The features of the Virtual Console games themselves are pretty great with save states and the ability to map buttons how you want. However, the lineup and the slow trickle of 1 game a week (two if we're lucky) is depressing.

There are a handful of great games available, but I don't know that there's enough for it to be a major selling point for the system more than it being a nice extra if you're looking to buy one for other reasons. Being able to finally play Earthbound is nice, at least.

No DKC to be found, Nintendo also removed it from the Wii Virtual Console.

#4 Edited by vikingdeath1 (972 posts) -

I Personally find it to be lacking in variety, for the time being.

#5 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (747 posts) -

All this is super depressing. :(

#6 Posted by Rebel_Scum (712 posts) -

Thats because Virtual Console is depressing.

#7 Edited by Dalai (7030 posts) -

It's weird how the Wii U Virtual Console is lacking in games while the first year or two of the Wii VC was pretty amazing. If that's the only thing keeping you from buying a Wii U, buy it anyway. It's got Super Metroid and Earthbound and that's really all that matters, right?

#8 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

Wait I know that the Wii VC purchases don't transfer to the WiiU VC but the content is also different? Oh Nintendo.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -

@nictel: Different features require reemulation, maybe? Who knows. There are games on it that I had no issue paying for, so I don't have much reason to complain.

#10 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -

@hailinel: Probably. It seems weird though, I mean, their backlog should be a huge source of profit in my opinion. I don't understand why they don't exploit it more. I would have made sure that I didn't had to create a whole new emulation for those games again but made sure it was compatible with whatever new console I would make. Then again I know nothing of how it works so maybe it is really difficult to do.

#11 Posted by spraynardtatum (2972 posts) -

Uhhhhhhh

#12 Posted by big_jon (5730 posts) -

Can I being all the games over to it that I bought on my Wii when I get my Wii U?

#13 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Can I being all the games over to it that I bought on my Wii when I get my Wii U?

Yea you can transfer everything over but you have to boot up the Wii U in "Wii mode" to play them.

#14 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@big_jon: Hopefully. I haven't been able to get Ys to redownload to my Wii U, but everything else came over perfectly.

#15 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@darthorange said:

@big_jon said:

Yea you can transfer everything over but you have to boot up the Wii U in "Wii mode" to play them.

Yeah, you can transfer Wii games to a WiiU, but it's not exactly elegant. The fact that it has to boot into a weird Wii emulator mode, where you have a different main menu that is literally the Wii's main menu/dashboard, and THAT contains all the VC games that you transfer over, is just weird.

It's just really hard to believe that emulation on the WiiU is that much different from on the Wii. It feels like less games have been released on the WiiU than on the Wii, and I wish they would just release most of the stuff that has already come out on the Wii VC. Though I guess that eventually shot them in the foot with the Wii as after a while seemingly all they felt like releasing were obscure NES and Turbo Grafx games that are not fondly remembered, nor even remembered at all. Still, the N64 got really pitiful VC support on the Wii, so it would be nice if the WiiU would pick up some slack there, because ~15 games really was not sufficient.

#16 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@darthorange said:

@big_jon said:

Yeah, you can transfer Wii games to a WiiU, but it's not exactly elegant. The fact that it has to boot into a weird Wii emulator mode, where you have a different main menu that is literally the Wii's main menu/dashboard, and THAT contains all the VC games that you transfer over, is just weird.

It's just really hard to believe that emulation on the WiiU is that much different from on the Wii. It feels like less games have been released on the WiiU than on the Wii, and I wish they would just release most of the stuff that has already come out on the Wii VC. Though I guess that eventually shot them in the foot with the Wii as after a while seemingly all they felt like releasing were obscure NES and Turbo Grafx games that are not fondly remembered, nor even remembered at all. Still, the N64 got really pitiful VC support on the Wii, so it would be nice if the WiiU would pick up some slack there, because ~15 games really was not sufficient.