Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is the XBONE controller worth buying over 360 for PC?

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the XBONE controller worth buying over 360 for PC? (136 votes)

Buy the XBONE controller, it's hella awesome superstar better than garbage 360 controller, brah 51%
    Totes get another 360 controller, the improvements on the new one are, like, so not worth it 32%
    PSSH stop being such a M$ shill and get a Logitech controller (note: f*ck you). Logitech: "Science Wins." (note: no, seriously, f*ck off) 5%
    Hi, Nocall! I actually have a spare controller and/or am super rich, so I will mail you one free-of-charge! Just PM me your address and I'll send it right away! 10%

So my Xbox360 controller for the PC is acting up again...I've "fixed" the LB button three times now...and I'm ready to throw it away and get a new one. I know that the XBONE controller now has drivers that work with PC but...sixty dollars.

And the 360 controller is only $30...

I dunno, duders. Is it really worth it? I don't really care about wireless capability, b/c fuck batteries I'll just use wired, and the rumble trigger thing seems not worth paying one dollar extra for, let alone thirty. I guess the d-pad is better, right? But is it "worth twice the cost of a 360 controller" better?

How's the construction hold up? If I never had to take it apart to fix a button, that would be heavenly. Particularly the damn shoulder buttons. The little contact points keep bending and getting screwed up in my 360 one -- have they changed the design in the XBONE one to not be so shitty?

I'm not dirt poor right now, I finally got a job after being unemployed for about six months, but that extra thirty bucks could still be used on things...

I've never put my hands on a XBONE controller, though, so maybe they're phenomenal. I dunno. I dunno. Help me, giant bomb community, you're my only hope.

• 
    Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only disadvantage of using an xbox one controller with a PC is that it doesn't work wirelessly, but since you don't mind that then you should definitely get one since it's a major improvement over the 360 controller.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

I have both for my PC (Don't have an Xbox One) so heres what I think

Short answer: Both are good for their own reasons and you can't go wrong.

Long answer: The Xbox One controller has a waaaaaaaay better Dpad so if you play a lot of 2D games thats great. I love it for that reason. The downside is that it isn't fully compatible with some games. They will fix this in the long run but for now it does have some compatibility issues.At first I thought Jeff was crazy when he mentioned the bumpers were kind of off but they are. The reason is that the 360 bumpers can be pressed from anywhere on the bumper. The One controller's bumpers lose responsiveness the further from the center you press them to the point where if you try to press them from the very edge on the outer part it wont respond. Ergonomicly speaking its great if feels so good to hold that thing and the sticks are a little better.

The 360 controller well we all know how cool that thing is.

I still voted on you getting the One controller. I got it just to try something new and of course the Dpad. It has its issues but its still really nice.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you both, it looks like most of the community is with you on the xbone controller as well. Out of curiosity, @eder, which games that you encountered lacked proper support for the new controller?

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Dark

I vote for the Xbone controller as well, the impovements out weight the cons.

However Jeff is correct, I have been hit SO MANY DAMN TIMES in Dark Souls 2 due to not pressing the bumper hard enough/wrong spot. It only lets it go for an instant but man ... thats all it takes in DS. You get used to it however and learn to pull the bumper a bit harder.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eder

@nocall: I don't remember any important ones off the top of my head except for Counter Strike GO (I know don't judge). I'm sure with a quick search there should be a list or something.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By therealnelsk

I'm just over here with my DualShock 4...

I'm actually not a huge fan of it. Something about the placement of the sticks and the triggers don't fit my hand well, and prolonged destiny sessions end with my left hand cramping. Never had that happen with a 360 controller. Never used an XONE, but I'm tempted to get one for PC play just to see if I continue to have that problem.

EDIT: Also, don't get a logitech. This isn't 98.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nocall

@therealnelsk: Aw, man, I completely forgot about using a Sony controller. I've never really liked them, though. My hands are kinda big and clumsy, and the central parallel stick design of the PS3 controller would also give me cramps.

Holy crap, I just realized I have 3 Duke controllers in the closet with my xbox1. I wonder if there is a way to get one of those to work...did anyone ever make a USB adapter? Probably not, right? And did they even have the right number of buttons? I'm thinking back, and I can't remember it having bumpers.

Oh, right! It had the little white and black buttons offset near the main buttons.

But, still...the Duke. Man...if only...

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Wemibelle

I say no. For me, the X1 controller is FAR INFERIOR to the X360 controller, even with the better d-pad. Everything feels too small, buttons and sticks, and the bumpers are just as inconsistent as everyone says they are.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The X1 controller is amazing. I picked the first option but I don't actually stand by the 360 controller being garbage, it's just that the X1 feels way better.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I voted for the 360 controller. I feel the Xbox One controller is a step backwards because the ergonomic changes hurt my hands and wrists. I suggest going to an Xbox One kiosk at a store that has the system on display and try it for yourself. You might not have the problem I have, but if you do, it's better to find out before you spend $60.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frymillstrum

I've been using a 3rd party 360 controller for my PC games for the past 3 years, it's almost identical to an actual Microsoft 360 controller but the LB button is acting up too so I've been thinking about this myself. You didn't put the PS4 controller in the poll, it seems like a lot of people, including the GB crew, prefer the Dualshock 4 to the XBONE controller. I'm wondering if I'd just be better off sticking with the 360 controller to save money.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nocall said:

@therealnelsk: Aw, man, I completely forgot about using a Sony controller. I've never really liked them, though. My hands are kinda big and clumsy, and the central parallel stick design of the PS3 controller would also give me cramps.

Holy crap, I just realized I have 3 Duke controllers in the closet with my xbox1. I wonder if there is a way to get one of those to work...did anyone ever make a USB adapter? Probably not, right? And did they even have the right number of buttons? I'm thinking back, and I can't remember it having bumpers.

Oh, right! It had the little white and black buttons offset near the main buttons.

Or in other words you've never used one...

The DS4 is miles ahead of DS3, the sticks are wider apart and the pad itself is a lot bigger. Though I never really had any issues with DS3 stick placement I find DS4 a lot comfier than any other controller I've used.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just switched from a 360 wired controller that I've been using forever to a DS4, and really liking it so far. The wireless works smoothly and it holds a charge just fine. The only real hassle is navigating the wealth of Xinput Wrappers until you find one that actually works. Also thinking about doing the XB1 thumbstick swap mod, but for now I'm keeping it stock.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using DS4Tool since it came out, as long as you tick hide controller it will act as an Xbox 360 controller and I've not had any issues in any games since I got it in January.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelegendofmart: I had issues with that one if I tried to connect my controller after the app was already running. For whatever reason, the J2K fork of DS4Windows is the only one that's worked for me.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

360 controller is better than the Bone.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Teoball

I say no. The only thing I like better on the Xbox One controller are the looser sticks.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'd say wait until they patch in the ability to use the xbone controller wireless.

Unless they did, then I'm buying a xbone controller as we speak!

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The Xbox One controller has better inputs (the triggers are outstanding) and is more comfortable (when you go from a One controller back to 360 you notice it). You can also use any controller and connect it to your PC with a standard USB cable (I use mine with a Kindle charging lead).

However the 360 controller is better made, more solid and robust. Although they have had 10 years of practice refining the construction.

Unless you plan on using the D-pad a lot, the 360 controller will do everything the One controller does, and its cheaper.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nocall said:

Yes there is an USB adapter for OG Xbox controllers. I have it somewhere and I remember it working just fine back in the day. I guess they had that by design since the end of the cable could be unplugged. I'll look through my stuff and if I find it will post pics

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eder: that's awesome, I would have thought it needs a special driver. Sounds like someone actually wrote one?

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm really happy with the DS4 and its fan-made drivers, it ended up getting me to move away from the fabled 360 controller. I always liked the style of the DS3, pretty much equally with the 360 controller, but it had some pretty poor thumbsticks and awful, mushy, triggers. Even though I've got big mitts (always liked the Duke & Dreamcast controllers, even if the latter was nutty), the DS4 seems to fit pretty well in my hands, and the textured backing of the controller feels really nice. The little touchpad is useful on rare occasion, but I don't think it adds a lot on the PC. Being able to use it wirelessly so easily and mess with things like the light sensor are big pluses for me, since there's not really any customization for the 360 controller, but I'm sure for some people having to do anything more than just plug it in is something they don't want to deal with, and in that case I'd caution them away. I'm currently using DS4 to XInput 1.2.2 as my driver of choice, and it works great, but there are two caveats: you need to run the program for the controller to work (I just set it to start when my computer turns on) and if you forget to do that, you can't map a controller while a program that wants to interface with it is running (e.g.: games). Again, for some people that's a big deal and ruins ease-of-use for them, but it's never been an issue for me.

If it was between the 360 and Xbox One controller, I'd probably opt for the Xbox One in case I got an Xbox One. If that's of no concern to you, then it's really not $30 better than the 360 controller.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hodor

I'd stick with the 360 as it is cheaper and currently better supported. I don't know a lot of people with Xbones but of those that do they all have remarked how they prefer the 360 except for the D-Pad. I personally use a DS4 with my laptop, it was easy to setup, works with all my controller supported games, and the bluetooth wireless adds good distance for when I hook up to my TV. The touchpad also works great for a mouse when I'm on youtube or scrolling through steam menus but does take time to get used too. Also whenever I need to charge I can just use my phone charger and an outlet near my couch and keep playing.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just over here with my DualShock 4...

I'm actually not a huge fan of it. Something about the placement of the sticks and the triggers don't fit my hand well, and prolonged destiny sessions end with my left hand cramping. Never had that happen

wow really? i thought in the beginning that the dualshock 4 was way to big and clumbsy, and thought the ds3 was better but after some time it feels perfect. tried going back to the ds3 and man it feels terrible i also at the time had a problem with the bottom of the controller where the sticks are, the corners of that platform was digging in to my middle fingers leaving a dent after prolonged games sessions

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eder: Its actually even easier than buying an adapter. If you don't mind sacrificing a USB extension cord and doing a bit of slice and dice, the original xbox controllers use the same exact 4 wires standard USB cables use, even with the correct colours. There is a 5th cable in there (yellow, from memory) which serves no purpose (i think it's an additional ground). Just cut the cables open and twist it all together. Back in the old softmodding days this was the way to get your modified save game files from the PC to the xbox without having to buy Action Replay memory cards and stuff. Man it was fun hacking about with the original xbox, doing the harddrive upgrades with a softmodded box was so cool. Hotswapping powered on IDE harddrives after the console unlocked them made you feel like a real man.

Back on topic, i picked up an XboxOne controller recently and now use it exclusively over any of the 360/Razer controllers I've got lying around, it's really excellent and that D-Pad is legit.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My order of greatness goes DS4 > Xbone > 360. The DS4 has the potential to be the best controller ever made, if they change the materials on the analog sticks (they are not as gripy as you'd like, plus they wear away over time). I would absolutely use the Xbone controller over the 360. After playing with the DS4 and Xbone controllers for almost a year, I can't fathom going back to the DS3 or 360 pads.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eder
    No Caption Provided

I was into some weird stuff back in the day and this bad boy let me use an Xbox controller on my computer. Worked great.

The other cable let me use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse on my Xbox. Didn't work so well.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By katimanic

DS4, XONE controller and 360 controller are all decent. I would just go with whatever is the cheapest, it seems like you can grab a new 360 controller for like 30 bucks now as apposed to DS4 and XBONE controllers that go for 60 dollars.

clapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you've made your decision by now but yeah if you don't care about wireless go for that Xbox One controller. I mainly use my Dual Shock 4 on PC just because I like the wireless but I prefer the Xbox One controller for most games. The thumbsticks and triggers just feel way better to me on the Xbox One than they do on Dual Shock 4. The 360 controller feels like complete trash after you get used to those Xbox One thumbsticks.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I vote for the 360 controller with the transforming D-pad. It fixes the D-pad problem and you won't have to worry about games not fully supporting it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.