#1 Posted by Humanity (9013 posts) -

#2 Posted by Humanity (9013 posts) -

During the original 360, white, fat days it was said that it's better to have them lying down flat, horizontal, as that will reduce your chance of redrings and in some cases DVD scratching. I've owned a slim for a year or so now and I'm curious are there any benefits or cons for having the slim stand upright? I've googled a bit in the past and people basically said theres no real difference these days and heat distribution is the same but I was curious if anyone else has more detailed info?

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (1586 posts) -

Two of my roommates have the slim and both of them keep it upright and I don't know why they do it.

It doesn't mess up like the white one would but when I load a disc it feels like it could easily fall out from the tray or be put in wrong.

I feel more comfortable with any 360 flat on its side.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If it was anything remotely significant you'd know about it.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Sooty said:

If it was anything remotely significant you'd know about it.

#6 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

the vertical standing 360 Slim will explode.

#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Even if my 360's not in a position where it's going to fall over, I find it's annoying worrying about discs falling out of the tray on an upright console.

#8 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Just keep it flat duder. Vertical is an AWFUL idea. No matter now good the system is at avoiding damage, if you bump it or it moves much at all, it can fuck up a disc real quick. It's not worth it, if you can't fit it laying down flat, you have bigger problems, like your TV being on the gorramn floor.

@

#9 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I've always had it standing upright and never had problems with it.

#10 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

My 360 stands up straight but only due to the layout of my room. I'd rather have it flat though as my Mass Effect 1 disc got wrecked because it was vertical. I had it upright on the floor once and my dog came along and heard the 360 whirring away and thought he should nudge it, he knocked it over and the ME disc was completely scratched and I had to buy a new one. So I'd recommend horizontal if possible.

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Vertical is just crazy, sometimes I'll put in a disc or eject one then browse the marketplace. I guess after the odd times of the cd players being vertical & causing nothing nothing but problems, I'm more used to having disc related media being read horizontally. As I've got one of those travel cases from gamestop ages ago (that fit any of the recent consoles), my 360 is happy being flat on top of it as there's not really enough room on top of it for anything else.

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I'm lame; still have the original version of the Elite. But it stands horizontal. Convenient to get discs into it; and it has to fit into the bottom shelf of my TV stand, so it can't go vertical anyways.

#13 Posted by TwelveFootFour (154 posts) -

I keep mine flat. I feel like it works better with disks because of gravity and all.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10277 posts) -

Yeah one method is for crazy people with bottomless wallets, or a good line on CD scratch cleaning materials. The other is a flat Xbox.

#15 Posted by Landon (4132 posts) -

@thatdutchguy said:

the vertical standing 360 Slim will explode.

It will also try to steal you're identity and ruin your credit.

#16 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

the shelf my 360 is on is quite wobbly so I keep it horizontal for the sake of my discs.

#17 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

The lenght, stand? I guess

#18 Edited by ddensel (371 posts) -

My Xbox has been upright for two years, never had a problem.

#19 Posted by Humanity (9013 posts) -

I don't know how many scratches you can get on a disc from being vertical as the hub of the optical drive will lock the disc in place either way - I was still curious. I've always had mine flat and recently decided to stand it upright but from past horror stories it just makes me nervous.

In addition a problem I've noticed is that on the slim the top exhaust vent is slanted at an angle causing the 360 to blast out all the hot air right at the surface it's standing on which depending on your furniture might damage it I suppose - but also can't be too good for the 360 which is fragile enough as it is.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

Two of my roommates have the slim and both of them keep it upright and I don't know why they do it.

It doesn't mess up like the white one would but when I load a disc it feels like it could easily fall out from the tray or be put in wrong.

This, basically. I think I initially had it straight up because... that's what it looked like on the box so I figured that's how it's meant to be placed, but putting in the disc always worried me when it was like that... Plus it just looks weird as well.

#21 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

laying it flat not vertical will give it better cooling less wear annd tear on the DVD drive since it is not fighting gravity to spin the disc.

Vertical xboes always die first this is fact.

as you can see in this dismantled xbox 360 slim t the heat sink and fan are pointed up with huge vents over it for a reason heat rises that is why they made it that way it fix the fucking problem the crap old ones had.

The GPU and CPU heatsink is not right under a vent with the fan blowing out upwards this is the best possible way to cool it with out liquid cooling. The old models had a crap cooling design that tried to shove the air out the back with a heatpipe and 2 fans. rather than adding a bunch of vents like they should have because it "looks fucking good" they did not add enough vent holes .

The only reason they even show the new model upright looks good but who cares? it is obviously built by them to flat and only have the upright for the insane people who want to do that because they thought it was a good idea back in 2005 and ended up dead wrong. OH and most people think it is stupid anyway since you are just asking for the thing to tip over it is not a fucking PC tower

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/New-Xbox-360-S-Slim-Teardown-Opened-and-Tested/Enter-new-guy

http://pcper.com/images/reviews/940/18.jpg

the new model is made to be flat with the fan pointing up even if the ads and rubber feet on the side seem to make insane people think other wise they are they for the marketers not the hardware designers.

#22 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

The light moves. 90 degrees

#23 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@FinalDasa said:

This, basically. I think I initially had it straight up because... that's what it looked like on the box so I figured that's how it's meant to be placed, but putting in the disc always worried me when it was like that... Plus it just looks weird as well.

I have an older white model and have been sitting upright since launch.

I never realized until recently that it was considered crazy to have your Xbox 360 sit upright.

#24 Posted by FinalDasa (1586 posts) -

@ZombiePie: You've never had a disc scratching problem? Or it doesn't make more noise that way?

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

@ZombiePie: You've never had a disc scratching problem? Or it doesn't make more noise that way?

Disc scratching? Never had a disc rendered un-usable.

#26 Edited by cyraxible (686 posts) -

I've always had my Xbox vertical. No problems. All this crazy talk about shorter console life and scratching discs is bupkis. I've never seen any firm evidence about this, it's all fervent forum posters with nothing more than anecdotes.

#27 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

yes one is in a vertical position and the other is in a horizontal position

#28 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

If you have kids, horizontal is the only way to go. Which is ironically also how I ended up with kids.

#29 Posted by Jay_Ray (1075 posts) -

Mine is vertical but I have a stand so it is very stable.

#30 Posted by Humanity (9013 posts) -

@Cubical: IF it's a huge fan thats bolted to a heatsink how does having it flat cause less heat build up? The hot air is blasted out the side regardless. If it was upside down with the vent pointing to the surface it's on then I'd agree that maybe theres a problem there, just maybe! I'm no scientist but I assumed that standing upright would expose more surface area to air circulating in the room rather than having an entire flat side sitting on the table, heating it up and causing it in turn to radiate heat back into the unit.

As per DVD scratching I also don't see how it being upright would have any difference as the optical drive hub basically clamps the disc into place and spins it at high velocity. The only reason the disc might scratch is if the optical hub is misaligned, which would damage it regardless of position; if you hit the unit or tip it over while it's reading and this would also mess up regardless of position or if the disc was released into the tray before it came to a complete stop.

I'm just wondering if you have read factual material referencing these issues? I'll keep mine up for a month or two and see if any discs get any more scratched than when I had it flat - although these days I install all my games to HD so pretty much all my discs look pristine.

#31 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I have to have mine lay flat. I have two asshole cats and a dog that barks and puts his paws on the stand when he sees anything that looks like a dog. That three foot fall to the floor scares the bejeezus out of me.

#32 Posted by Danteveli (1173 posts) -

I have one vertical and one horizontal.

#33 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

I have asshole cats....so horizontal it will stay.

When I first got the 360 my cat nudged it and it totally destroyed my gears 1 disk.

#34 Edited by sean53669 (1 posts) -

@ EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM

See link below for a concise listing of pro's & con's of either horizontal or vertical standing.

1)<http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/06/horizontal-or-vertical-position-does-it-matter-on-the-xbox-360-slim/>

I've had an orig. Elite & now a Slim. and I've had them both horiz./vertic. and TBH I agree with what has been posted on the link above. Basically it says;

Horizontal:

- The disc drive runs more quieter compared with the vertical position.

- With the new ventilation appearing on the sides in leiu of the back, it is good for the system to release the heat upwards rather than sideways (vertical).

- No need to worry about the law of gravity when placing a disc.

- When the system is on its horizontal position, the intakes on both sides opens up allowing more cooler air to come in.

- Horizontal position takes a lot of space.

Vertical:

- Saves up space.

- The disc drive runs with some buzzing sounds. It is kind of ouder when the player runs the game via the disc. (installation of the game data is required!)

- Prone to overheating if the system has another object blocks its sides.

- Risk of falling.

- Stressing the disc drive as discs are not originally designed to run on its side.

- Placing the system on horizontal position blocks away one intakes allowing only the other side to open up for cool air.

Hope this settles it guys, I must say though the whole animal thing is a major pain in the ass (having a house with 2 cats & 3 dogs).

Oh yea, by the way Cubical... It really is supposed to be used either way (horizontal / vertical), and i know I'm just being pernickety here but heat doesn't exactly 'rise' per say, it actually acts to seek out cold air (basically heat transfer works via a diffusive gradient), most of the time you'd get the same result but when applying it to the Xbox 360's slim heat transfer capacity it allows for (horizontal heat transfer to take place very effectively on either side)

Its described by a combination of the first and the second law of thermodynamics (I've attached a link to explain....don't worry, its for kids!!!)

:)

2)<http://www.physics4kids.com/files/thermo_laws.html>

3)<http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/6329/does-hot-air-really-rise>

3) "To answer the question exactly, hot air does rise, and it is also displaced by cold air (though often from the side, not directly above it)"....

"And yes, gravity is the reason less dense liquids like to sit on top of more dense liquids" The whole density thing is explaining the common misconception of heat rising (as hot air is less dense than cold obviously).

I hope this helped people decide whats best. My take is that whichever position you choose should reflect the advantages you most prefer, bar any physical limitations (such as space, poor ventilation/ dust).

^_^ Sean