#1 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

Basically it's shit like this that gets me down sometimes over how Nintendo releases/ports its games onto its handhelds.

wat

In my mind I envision this situation in a boardroom somewhere at Square Enix (heck, maybe some of the Hitman Absolution trailer guys are present too).

- See, it's on the 3DS, right?
- ...right.
- And our game's in 3D, see?
- Okay...
- So instead of calling it just Kingdom Hearts 3D, why don't we add...
- Umm.
- ...on a few more words to emphasize our... D-ness. How many D-words, you ask?
- (sighs)...how many D-words.
- All the D-words.

Et voila! There you have it, folks - Dream Drop Distance! What has that got to do with the game? Who cares - it's a Japanese thing and they come up with random guff all the time! Hell, you could probably slap on Dick Donger Douchebag and no one would bat an eyelid.

Now I don't have any problem with plain ole titling like, say, Picross DS (god I forgot how much I love that game), because it's more or less there to avoid confusion with - I dunno - some other Picross title on another platform. But at some point somewhere down the line, someone went waaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard. There are other titles out there guilty of this practice, though I am loathe to dig them up. I guess it probably stems from Nintendo's habit of adding "Super" on to everything when the SNES came out? And then they did the same crap with the N64. And of course you probably saw ZombiU during E3.

So getting to my question - is there a name for this concept? Does GB have it? If not, why don't we make one up? I'm totally open to suggestions, because "Nintendo's Shitty System of Titling Games Released on its Platforms" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

I don't think Nintendo is responsible for the name of that game but I believe the pattern is alliteration.

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

But that's a Squeenix game

#4 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

Well I suppose I should have titled it something along the lines of Weird Names of Games Released on Nintendo's Platforms but there's somewhat of a character limit in the thread titles.

#5 Edited by Salbert (48 posts) -

This topic is so stupid.

1. Nintendo had absolutely fuck all with the naming of this game.

2. You can't name a single other game that follows this convention.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6426 posts) -

Like when that Advance Wars game for the DS came out? And they had to add Dual Strike CAUSE IT'S INITIALS ARE D AND S? Shit like that is dumb.

Although I thought this was about how godawful and long some names of Japanese games are.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@Salbert: @EXTomar: @Jack268: Again, I think he's referring more to the point that Dream Drop Distance can (kinda) be shortened to 3D. This isn't a new tread, stuff like Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS) and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (again, DS) have been doing it for years. He probably should have phrased it different, but I knew what he meant.

#8 Edited by cyraxible (694 posts) -
#9 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -
#10 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Salbert: @EXTomar: @Jack268: Again, I think he's referring more to the point that Dream Drop Distance can (kinda) be shortened to 3D. This isn't a new tread, stuff like Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS) and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (again, DS) have been doing it for years. He probably should have phrased it different, but I knew what he meant.

Yah, even going back to the Super Nintendo, When they would stick Super infront of everything.

If there isnt a page, I think there should be.

#11 Edited by 49th (2837 posts) -

I think that there are 3 'D' words is pretty cool actually.

Consoltle? console + title.

Systle? system + title.

Dunno, send the question to the Bombcast.

#12 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

@Salbert said:

This topic is so stupid.

I love you too.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12390 posts) -
#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'll call it the Nintendo Curse as of now. Remember how all SNES games had to be called Super [Some previous game]? Or N64 games were [Some game] 64? Then the GBA got [Here's a game] Advance(d)? Then DS games got their freak on either with DS or this?

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Well, there's this concept page, if that helps.

That page is great. I wouldn't have found this game otherwise.

#16 Posted by Danteveli (1203 posts) -

I like that type of naming. At least they have to work on the name of game for a second.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@dudeglove

Well I suppose I should have titled it something along the lines of Weird Names of Games Released on Nintendo's Platforms but there's somewhat of a character limit in the thread titles.

Any platform can have games with "weird" titles. But this title isn't weird. This thread topic is just misinformed.
#18 Edited by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Took me way too long to figure out what you meant by titling,Tilting? Titilating? Oh, Title-ing. I'm an idiot.

I think Kingdom hearts is one of the few nintendo platform games with a truly weird title. Super Mario: Galaxy, Legend of Zelda, maybe Metroid is a little weird, but the rest are pretty standard.

#19 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@dudeglove:

Prepare for a 3DS remake of that with exactly the same name.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@BeachThunder said:

Well, there's this concept page, if that helps.

That page is great. I wouldn't have found this game otherwise.

And I wouldn't have found out that a Yu-Gi-Oh game was released on my birthday. Why why why why why?

#22 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

It's called Shitliteration.

#23 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Dig Dug: Double Down?

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@dudeglove:

That's one D too many.

#25 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I mean, this basically started back with the SNES right? It's kind of their thing.

#26 Posted by Veektarius (5008 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

It's called a backronym.

I like that.

#27 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

Oh man, the Kingdom Hearts games have the worst subtitles.

#28 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

@dudeglove: Dig Dug: Three Digging Simulations

#29 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

@dudeglove: Dig Dug: Three Digging Simulations

We have a winner.