• 175 results
#1 Posted by abomunist (116 posts) -

This just came upon me. I have played 3D World Runner maybe a dozen times in my life. My younger self found the game enjoyable and adequate for what it was, but the music was astoundingly catchy. I haven't seen footage of the game in over 15 years and I can't remember the last time I've heard it talked about, but I can, at any point in time, and in any situation, recall the music:

Something about the nature of nintendo-era music and it's need for relatively quick repetition has made a lot of the music memorable, at least for me.

Do you have a similar mega ear worm? Is there a piece of music you've heard in a game that is burned into your mind like a hot musical iron seared your neurons?

#2 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

Well, you know someone's gonna say it eventually sooooo Zelda.

#3 Posted by thornie (165 posts) -

Daaaaaaayyyyytttttooooooonnnnaaaaa

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

#5 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

Oh wow, Super Mario Bros. 2 just popped in my head. Thanks man much appreciated, lol.

#6 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

Yeah, that Zelda theme. Specifically when Link gets the sword from the beach in Link's Awakening.

Turtles in Time, Sewer Surfin and Star Base

Halo theme.

Sonic's Green Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone

#7 Posted by Genkkaku (734 posts) -

There's alot that's just embedded in my memory.. The obvious ones are there, bits from Zelda / FF / Resident Evil..

But my current ringtone is the Doom theme so I get reminded of that one alot

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
#9 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I'll listen to the Persona 3/4 soundtracks every few months.

#10 Posted by Petiew (1333 posts) -

This song came out of nowhere at the most hillariously inappropriate moment. I've never forgotten that "What the hell am I listening to?" feeling.
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36109 posts) -

All of them.

#12 Posted by Greenshoes (276 posts) -

The Orcestral version of the Gerudo Valley theme is, and always will be magic.

#13 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Obviously the entirety of Final Fantasy VI's OST.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

Song of the Ancients, Kaine's theme, Ashes of Dreams, all from Nier. I can even remember the lyrics which considering the lyrics are nonsense words is pretty scary

#15 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Winterspring in WoW. I don't play anymore but this song still sticks in my mind, just such a relaxing bit of music to grind to.

#16 Posted by Nentisys (886 posts) -

BG2 main menu. Bombastic!

#17 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

Moon theme from duck tales

#18 Edited by GunstarRed (5047 posts) -

Tons and tons. I often have the music from Corneria in Star Fox bouncing around my head.

#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -

Plenty. It would take almost too long to list most, so I'll take the most recent example - "It's Over" from The Walking Dead Episode 2. Mostly due to the scene's expert direction, especially if you make a specific choice during that particular scene. Google it. It's a striking fucking image.

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

BG2 main menu. Bombastic!

Which one? Shadows of Amn style or remixed/epic Baldur's Gate original for Throne of Bhaal?

#21 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I remember very well a great deal of video game music, but then again music is what I do for a living and Im trained to remember it...

#22 Posted by Reddy1124 (138 posts) -

Even after playing this game several months ago, I still hear this song often and am reminded of how amazing that ending was.

#23 Posted by flyingidiot (8 posts) -

Pretty much everything from Bastion

#24 Posted by notdavid (828 posts) -

Easily my favorite. The first Final Fantasy isn't nearly as impactful to me as the rest of the series, but it's soundtrack blew me away.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3006 posts) -

Much of the Onimusha: Warlords soundtrack is basically perfect, and more layered/mature than we're generally used to in games. It's criminal Samo isn't in PS All-Stars, by the by.

#26 Posted by fisk0 (3878 posts) -

The Silpheed Sega CD intro music, Bobby Prince's blatant ripoff of Guns 'n Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" in Blake Stone, OhGr/Download's (credited as "Ogre from Skinny Puppy") tracks for Descent 2: Vertigo and Larry Peocock's track "Cold Reality" from regular Descent 2 and Cobalt 60's "Darwin was Right" from the Wing Commander Prophecy soundtrack.

(The version of Darwin Was Right isn't the exact same version that was in the game, which didn't have any vocals and was edited in a different way, shorter intro, but longer song with the part around 0:50 to 1:05 extended).

OH, and also Jeremy Soule's fantastic "The March Unto Death" from Total Annihilation and the amazing title music from System Shock 1:

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

I'll boot up that main menu just to listen to this.

But I could rattle off hundreds of other video game tracks, I'm sure.

#28 Posted by drewbert (2199 posts) -

I'll often start whistling this around the office with no provocation:

Staff
#29 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@abomunist said:

This just came upon me. I have played 3D World Runner maybe a dozen times in my life. My younger self found the game enjoyable and adequate for what it was, but the music was astoundingly catchy. I haven't seen footage of the game in over 15 years and I can't remember the last time I've heard it talked about, but I can, at any point in time, and in any situation, recall the music:

Something about the nature of nintendo-era music and it's need for relatively quick repetition has made a lot of the music memorable, at least for me.

Do you have a similar mega ear worm? Is there a piece of music you've heard in a game that is burned into your mind like a hot musical iron seared your neurons?

I laughed when this video started, cos yeah, I can totally imagine that getting stuck. Mine is this:

All of the music from this game is absolutely haunting if you listen to it for a minute. I payed homage to it on my Youtube channel.
#30 Posted by adam1808 (1389 posts) -

The Halo CE menu music. The extra life stream brought all those memories back hard.

#31 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

The halo theme menu music

#32 Edited by Schmollian (259 posts) -

These tracks were a strong part of my childhood. SO GOOD!

#33 Posted by big_jon (5710 posts) -
#34 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6106 posts) -

I occasionally catch myself whistling the theme for the old Leisure Suit Larry games.

#35 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

machinarium and sword & sworcery have two of the most outstanding soundtracks i've ever heard. painstakingly composed stuff- if you're a fan of electronica with organic elements, i highly recommend checking them out. some examples:

and

and

#36 Posted by xengiantbomb (20 posts) -

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE EATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

I'm not a huge fan of the saga, but damn that song really got into my mind.

#37 Edited by Schmollian (259 posts) -

I had the sudden urge to hit my self, as hard as I could, right in the balls, for almost forgetting to post this track. Jesus. No other track brings so much nostalgia and memories to me, than this one.

#38 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -
#39 Posted by fisk0 (3878 posts) -

@Schmollian said:

These tracks were a strong part of my childhood. SO GOOD!

Those are some great choices. Was always more fond of the original C&C music than anything in Red Alert though, especially the music from the expansion The Covert Operations, which had CD audio, which I did rip to my computer the moment I knew how to, and have had it on every machine I've had since 1999, as well as every mobile CD/MP3 player. Songs like Creeping Upon:

#40 Posted by MarekkPie (71 posts) -
#41 Posted by Dujun (59 posts) -

I find myself humming the original Battlefield theme at least once a week.

#42 Posted by Grillbar (1800 posts) -

duke nukem 3d, mario, and so many others

#43 Posted by Disobedience (34 posts) -

There're a lot of 'em, but what immediately comes to mind has to be Deadly Premonition and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I also thought the sound design for the original Dead Space was awesome, but that probably doesn't qualify as music for anyone but me :) The Skyrim music also haunts me daily :)

#44 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

The song I probably hummed/whistled the most:

#45 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

I have been playing Super Crate Box since it was free on iOS and I now have the construction theme stuck in my head. Too bad touch controls in the iOS version makes the game unplayable.

#46 Edited by Linkster7 (1016 posts) -

The Zelda Lost Woods music sometimes drives me crazy, I get it stuck in my head frequently.

The ending theme of Bastion is also worth a mention.

#47 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (481 posts) -

To many to mention but here's the short list.

Reagade and Target Renagade (128k versions), Spectrum.
Canon Fodder (theme), Amiga.
Xenon II (intro), Amiga.
Speedball 2(theme), Amiga.
Blood Money (intro), Amiga.
It came from the Desert (intro), Amiga.
Super Mario World (all of it!), SNES.
Street fighter 2 Turbo (all of it!), SNES.
MGS 2 theme, PS2.
FFX theme, PS2.

These are the ones that spring to mind. Would post videos but I'm on my phone. Check um out on YouTube though they are brilliant.

#48 Edited by Tesla (1910 posts) -

Id's Theme:

Phendrana Drifts:

Wandering Flame:

#49 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -

Spiderman theme on the Atari 2600

#50 Posted by geirr (2483 posts) -

While I loved the music of this entire series, this one always stood out back then and still does!