Is there actually a point to "Following" someone anymore?

• 87 results
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Funkydupe

If I could sing, I'd sing right now.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, I really wish fixing that feature was made a priority. I just don't use the site a whole lot without it. It's not even easy to singularly check out the profile of each person I follow since the list of followed users page is busted as well (the names just link back to the page itself rather than the user profile).

The main way I interacted with people is gone and now it's just a forum post here and there on the odd occasion I find a topic worth getting into.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

@cloudenvy: Awww, thanks! <3 I miss everyone -- I like seeing what everyone else is playing and talking about, etc... I hope they at least get friends activity feed going. I feel like everyone's so far away.

Also, sweet avatar and header pic. Love.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought that following somebody was like the giantbomb equivalent of leaving a love letter in that person's locker. C:

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...I only have 16 followers...

No Caption Provided

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Funkydupe

I'm worth way more than "1", this system is broken. Just like my heart! .. and my toaster oven, but that's a different matter entirely.

They're working on implementing a new feature. Next to "Follow" there'll be a "Stalk" option.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By mrfluke

i made a thread about this a while ago and dave did come out and say that this stuff and the forums will get sorted in its own place eventually,

but getting the site stable was the priority atm.

which with the exception of the video player the sites pretty stable, so im sure they will get to it eventually.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought that following somebody was like the giantbomb equivalent of leaving a love letter in that person's locker. C:

and now i am just a bitch for never following anybody

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AlexanderSheen
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't understand why they got rid of being able to go through your followed blogs. It makes no sense.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@artemesia said:

and now i am just a bitch for never following anybody

?

According to your profile you're following 12 people, which out of 17 followers, I'd say that's relatively generous :P Compare how many followers Jeff has to how many he's following in return. Now that is one Grade-A asshole right there!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@metalgearsunny: Probably just wasn't prioritized over core site features. I think they left community stuff on the backburner in the meantime.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By Winternet

I . . I have some followers too, guys. Please don't leave me.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I seriously miss the activity feed. It basically allowed me to know what was going on with things I might care about on the forums with out having to delve into the morass of the whole forums section.

Though since I tend to have GB open in a tab even when I'm not home, I just assumed an online notification for everyone else was just as valuable. You too are at work with your home computer on sleep mode.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I understand why community features aren't as high priority as the functionality which affects all users, but it's still a bummer. Ye 'ol GB wasn't really an amazing community nexus, but it certainly made things easier! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know how you do it, but the first website to really tear down the wall between community, content and creators will really be on to something special.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nope.

Honestly, I think it sucks. It was the only way people knew I posted blogs (as I don't do it regularly) or that people I follow posted a blog. Now they just kind of disappear if not stickied to the main page because a Mod thinks you're worthy of everyones time. I won't be, and I'm fine with that, but I feel like I have less of a chance of being read now. So, that sucks.

I think (think) this feature might come back and they removed it because of server strain (they removed a lot of stuff to relieve the lag caused by the stress on the site) but I don't know if that's the case. Would be nice for the community focus to come back at least a little. A large portion of it was lost in the transition. No forum topics on front page, no follow activity (which I personally miss being on the front page), no mini bio.

I'm not one to be negative, though. I'm sure in time it will be fixed/changed/adjusted. Still, it sucks.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why community features aren't as high priority as the functionality which affects all users, but it's still a bummer. Ye 'ol GB wasn't really an amazing community nexus, but it certainly made things easier! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know how you do it, but the first website to really tear down the wall between community, content and creators will really be on to something special.

They tried that, it was called Bitmob.com, and when was the last time you heard anyone mention Bitmob (if ever)?

Oh, looks like it shut down recently, actually. That was a nice idea in theory, but didn't work well in practice. It was a game site that had a staff that wrote and moderated the site, allowed comments and community, and allowed the most popular articles to become stories on the site (and the most prevalent popular users to become staff). It was kind of a clusterfuck though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude said:

They tried that, it was called Bitmob.com, and when was the last time you heard anyone mention Bitmob (if ever)?

Oh, looks like it shut down recently, actually. That was a nice idea in theory, but didn't work well in practice. It was a game site that had a staff that wrote and moderated the site, allowed comments and community, and allowed the most popular articles to become stories on the site (and the most prevalent popular users to become staff). It was kind of a clusterfuck though.

I remember Bitmob! Poor little thing. *pets imaginary tiny, filthy dog*

What I'm talking about needs a revolution. And revolutions need heroes. Bitmob was never going to work. Just like if you and I started the same idea and tried to fly it. You need people who matter, people like the Bomb Crew, to flip the switch (I know Bitmob wasn't unknowns, but there was no J Gerts there). Of course they're overworked already and that's not really their interest but thems my thoughts.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah there was a point where you could see people you were following forum posts and blog posts on the side of the front page and it was the best.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Cathryn

Bumping this thread up -- am more than a little frustrated that it's been like, a month since the update and the user activity feeds and other community functions still aren't working. Not having nearly as much fun around here as usual :/

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I find the concept of following someone on the internet creepy. 14 year old best buddy Jimmy Joe might be some 40 year old sexy predator. You don't know who is at the otherside of the screen. In general I think most forums should force users to put in personal details that legitimize them as who they say they are.

That's pretty silly. Paranoid and silly.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't know if it's for better or worse, them or me, or just change but I just don't feel like I'm "plugging into the Giant Bomb community" when I open that window in the morning anymore. I'm just opening a www.giantbomb.com window.

Still giving it time.

ps: I super, SUPER miss the profile pic :(

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By Snail

You can still have a profile pic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Yummylee

@professoress said:

I don't know if it's for better or worse, them or me, or just change but I just don't feel like I'm "plugging into the Giant Bomb community" when I open that window in the morning anymore. I'm just opening a www.giantbomb.com window.

Still giving it time.

You can still have a profile picture, it's just blank by default for whatever reason.

EDIT: Bugger.. Well, what he said :P

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, if you follow Drew he'll follow you back. Isn't that enough?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: @yummylee: Oh cool, thanks for the scoop guys :)

Now if only I could get the image selector to open more than my last 12 uploaded images...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By fattony12000

How could anyone not be following me?

HOW?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now if only I could get the image selector to open more than my last 12 uploaded images...

That shouldn't be happening. I recently loaded way more than that. Try a different browser and if the issue persists look for a thread about this issue on the Bug Reporting board, and if you can't find one then create one yourself.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

@professoress said:

That shouldn't be happening. I recently loaded way more than that. Try a different browser and if the issue persists look for a thread about this issue on the Bug Reporting board, and if you can't find one then create one yourself.

Yeah I get the last 16 (4x4) regardless of browser.

I'll check out the bug forums a little later.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@gamer_152 said:

I'm going to be honest, ever since they took away any way to see other user activity from your profile, I think the site has felt much more isolated, and I don't think it's good for the community. As far as I can tell there's not really any reason to follow other users any more, but the staff seemed to take away the "Activity" feature after it broke, maybe it'll be back when they can fix it.

This is exactly the problem. Before following someone meant you had a constant feed of stuff being posted by members you found to be interesting or that provided quality content. Now it's just a number.

An incredibly impressive number that I cherish more than life itself but a number none the less.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By dungbootle

@gamer_152 said:

I'm going to be honest, ever since they took away any way to see other user activity from your profile, I think the site has felt much more isolated, and I don't think it's good for the community. As far as I can tell there's not really any reason to follow other users any more, but the staff seemed to take away the "Activity" feature after it broke, maybe it'll be back when they can fix it.

The site is definitely more isolated now and I don't like it

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

Jeff just answered a question about this issue today on his Tumblr feed, which I've posted below for posterity. No super specific timeline posted, but obviously it being his site and all, he'd rather not leave this issue hanging.

No Caption Provided

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a weakness for lasagna. I mean come on. Its tasty.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By smokeyd123

So wait, is the activity feed thing something they're going to fix, or a permanent change? Because that's some HOT bullshit.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do cool points function like Golf, where you want your total to be low instead of high? No? Well I'm going to pretend it does...

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By wrighteous86

Except now he'll have no way of knowing you've followed him. I've had 2 new followers since the site change, and I have NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE?!!!?!!? :(

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would even respond to wall posts pretty often too. Back when wall posts were a thing.. Guy's a champ. <3

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@wrighteous86 said:

Technically, it still exists in some form as part of Gamesbeat, but that site is a terrible piece of crap. It also seems like they don't promote things as much as they used to, which is sad. That site was really cool for someone who wanted to try and improve their writing; it just never went far enough in the direction I wanted, with real editors pointing out the changes that need to be made to your articles.