#1 Edited by BirthWild (259 posts) -

Like other folk I dropped off around Gold & Silver, some friends stopped after Blue & Red cause they were smart. I've tried playing a couple other newer pokemon games and with all the talk and screens of the new one I had the primal urge of my long begotten to capture creatures and battle them again.

but I know it will just be the same, I don't play competitively with people, so I don't get deep into the breeding game or all that stuff, so the base mechanics aren't enough for me, I don't want to get into it that deep either I don't have much of an interest in the end it's still pokemon-y.

Is there anything LIKE pokemon? I even liked the digimon world games better than pokemon, it was more engaging to me, but pokemon is still just rockin' it's pokemon. I guess now I'm just complaining about JRPG combat mechanics in general, even a slight variation would be nice... I'm probably just going in circles and I have to just play pokemon to get it out of my system now, but hopefully better judgement will overcome and I can find something greater... what can I say... maybe I'm a gamefreak.

#2 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Well, I can't think of anything. I can say X/Y fixed some of the more annoying aspects of Pokemon though. For example you move fast almost right off the bat, you get an EXP share that works for everyone all the time, and you now get exp when capturing. Nothing super revolutionary, but it all lessens the grind somewhat.

#3 Posted by Hunkulese (2724 posts) -

I've never played Pokemon so pretty much all I know is that you're summoning little dudes to fight other little dudes.

I thought the Devil Survivor series for the DS/3DS was great. You're summoning and battling demons instead of little dudes and the gameplay is more of a turn based strategy game.

#4 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

Persona 4?

Anyways, I stopped playing Pokemon halfway through Ruby. The designs just became too ridiculous and the improvements were less noticeable. After seeing the new info on the new Pokemon games, I suddenly felt the urge to start playing Pokemon again and having sunk close to 18 hours in it so far, I can say that I have made a good decision. I think having a break from the last few generations helped made this new one seem a little more refreshing.

#5 Posted by dandead (171 posts) -

Inzuma eleven is a pretty awesome footie/rpg hybrid with a pokemon "collect em all" element to it if you fancy something a little bit different.

#6 Posted by mintyice (185 posts) -

Ni No Kuni?

#8 Posted by Pabba (346 posts) -

Dragon Quest Monsters! You can get a slime of your very own. 'Nuff said.

#9 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (671 posts) -

You should give X/Y a try it's really great. Other than that I say try Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS. In that you capture and battle monsters as well, though I think X/Y is a better game with better character designs.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

You should honestly just probably play Pokemon; there are a lot more mechanics in the game now than existed in the days of RBY/GSC.

#11 Edited by Nagogii (17 posts) -
#12 Edited by vikingdeath1 (971 posts) -

You might like Ni No Kuni. It certainly ain't no pokemon game, but as someone who still Really likes the Pokemon series it had aspects of pokemon that I could really enjoy.

Catching monsters, leveling them up, your mons' learning new attacks & evolving.

It might have been the most fun i've had with a videogame all year, I highly recommend it.

EDIT: the people recommending the Shin Megami Tensei series might work as well. Someone told me that SMT4 is basically pokemon (they lied) but I ended up liking that game as well, even with how different it was.

EDIT2: hell, maybe try those 3D pokemon games for the Gamecube? Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness? those are "like" pokemon games without being True pokemon games.

#13 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

I think you should ask yourself these three questions

A. Do you have a compulsive habit of collecting things?

B. Do you enjoy touching a Pickachu?

C. Are you okay with adults (your non-gaming peers) looking down on you for playing pokemon?

If you said yes to all of these then welcome to the club my friend!? Every time I go into a game stop to grab that special event pokemon my pokemon pride is high but my head hangs low usually with a hood over it.

#14 Edited by Superkenon (1435 posts) -

@birthwild: Recently as I was playing through Shin Megami Tensei IV, I realized that it's basically Pokemon, only with less bullshit and infinitely more interesting combat. Maybe you should look into that?

I'm still totally down with the trappings of Pokemon, myself -- I think X/Y are actually pretty rad. But I think I know where you're coming from. If you're looking for a game with similar concepts and mechanics, only against a completely different backdrop, SMT4 could be worth investigating.

#15 Edited by Elwoodan (830 posts) -

Ni No Kuni, Shin Megami Tensei and the Dragon Quest games all have similar collection/ party creation mechanics, and Ni No Kuni in particular has a really great art direction.

#16 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -
#17 Edited by Zalrus9 (110 posts) -

Nuzlocke run? Want to make your pokemon like fire emblem and xcom? And make your own stories? Emergant gameplay?

#18 Posted by Miyuki (176 posts) -

SMT games are indeed very much like Pokemon, only with demons. I love them, and have recommended them to many a college student frustrated at feeling too old for Pokemon this week. Personally, I didn't play Pokemon growing up,only as an adult, so I never got into them as much.

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

Ni No Kuni's pretty good.

#21 Edited by hermes (1487 posts) -

@pulledabrad said:

@nagogii said:

@mintyice said:

Ni No Kuni?

Ni No Kuni.

Anyone say Ni No Kuni yet?

I was going to, but since you already did...

Ni No Kuni

#22 Posted by MonetaryDread (2033 posts) -

If you have an iPhone there is a game called "Dragon Island: Blue" that is basically pokemon.

#23 Edited by mems1224 (229 posts) -

You should try Ni No Kuni. Personally I thought it was really boring even though I only played a few hours but the game was charming as hell and I hear it gets better after the slow start. I just didnt have the patience for it.

I stopped playing Pokemon after Yellow and picked up Soul Silver 3 years ago and remembered why I loved it. Black/White 1 and 2 were decent but more of the same but X/Y feel a lot better. Especially since its less of a grind than previous games so thats gives you a better opportunity to try out different lineups and experiment.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

SMTIV was not all that great. Nocturne, however, is fantastic and the game to get if you're going that route.

#26 Edited by Haruko (299 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei all of them Persona included Devil Survivor especially.

#27 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

What you really want is Mario Kart 8.

#28 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

I just want to add my voice to the endorsements for Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest.