• 110 results
#1 Edited by FiZi (125 posts) -

Check out http://baldursgate.com/ and view the page source:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<!-- January 19, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->
<head>
<title>I can teach you how to use your wrath.</title>

(This was pointed out to me by GB member . I just beat him to the punch posting.)

#2 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

HD remake or sequel inbound. Maybe an XBLA/PSN release?

#3 Posted by FiZi (125 posts) -

HD remake for PC/XBLA/PSN with online co-op would be awesome. So would a new game in that traditional style.

#4 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

OH MY GOD

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

It's an HD remake using the Dragon Age II engine.

#6 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Maybe I'll finally get around to playing a Baldurs Gate game, then.

#7 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

HEY! Something like this might push me to buy and play these games, which I have intended to do for a while.

#8 Posted by yoshisaur (2699 posts) -

Either an HD remake or Facebook cash-in!

#9 Posted by FiZi (125 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

I sure as hell hope not to the latter.

#10 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Intrigue!

#11 Edited by UltorOscariot (171 posts) -

Oh my... Who even holds the license to this these days? Regardless, yes. Please, anything yes that could show that this brand and this style of RPG still has some power.

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

What if its a new game, Baldurs Gate: Dragon Age?

#13 Posted by wemibelec90 (1597 posts) -

Hmm, I was just getting ready to play Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time. Anyone think I should wait?

#14 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

@UltorOscariot said:

Oh my... Who even holds the license to this these days? Regardless, yes. Please, anything yes that could show that this brand and this style of RPG still has some brand power.

Atari.

#15 Posted by iPliskin (117 posts) -

Hope it's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3 with Dark Souls like combat mechanics and The Witcher, Dragon Age & Skyrim stuff thrown in for good measure.

#16 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@wemibelec90: In no way should you wait for whatever this is. It's most likely another Facebook game. I'm doubtful they'd bring this series back without some major announcement.

#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -

I'm so EXCITED !

Yet, very very sceptical.

GHAAAAA

#18 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

It says infinity engine, which leads me to believe it's not a new game, or a facebook game, but an update of some kind.

#19 Posted by coaxmetal (1602 posts) -

Still, the fact that it talks about infinity engine means that we aren't going to have to worry about it being "modernized" at all, which is a really good thing in this case.

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

And the whole game is now set on the Candlekeep screen.

#21 Edited by Beforet (2915 posts) -

Oh hell. Oh HELL! HOLY FUCKING SHI-wait, why am I getting excited? I've never played Baldur's Gate 1 or 2.

Nice music though.

#22 Posted by coaxmetal (1602 posts) -

You should be excited. You should also play the first ones, or at least BG2. But you should also wait to see what this is in case it's a remake.

#23 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1100 posts) -

BG 2 with a controller would suck hard.

Maybe they are making the Infinity Engine open source or something?

#24 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Hailinel said:

And the whole game is now set on the Candlekeep screen.

Bravo.

#25 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Just went to the site to have a look and the portrait of the bald character stands out to me as having not been in any of the Baldur's Gate games.

#26 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

@UltorOscariot said:

Oh my... Who even holds the license to this these days? Regardless, yes. Please, anything yes that could show that this brand and this style of RPG still has some power.

Its a mess. Bioware from what I remember owns the characters, Interplay owns the rights to the original games, the D&D license was with Atari though Hasbro wanted it back for themselves but their games division hasn't set the world on fire. A BG3 was supposed to be in the works a few times. And to top this all off Obsidian has been openly talking about doing new IE type games as budget type titles.

#27 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I could go for some HD Baldur's Gate

#28 Posted by kpaadet (410 posts) -

For the longest time I wanted BioWare to make BG3, but then I played DA:O and while I liked it, it was definitely no Baldur's Gate. Then I played DA2 and thought "please dont ever make another BG game ever again."

I guess what Im saying is I hope its not really anything.

#29 Posted by MentalDisruption (1620 posts) -

No matter what this is, it has me excited.

#30 Posted by EkajArmstro (384 posts) -

SO HYPE!

#31 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

Alright, FaceGate!

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

An HD remake of a game I've heard is amazing but tragically never played? Yes please.

#33 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Minsc quotes are the best quotes.

#34 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

@GreggD said:

HD remake or sequel inbound. Maybe an XBLA/PSN release?

Whatever it is, it'll probably benefit from a mouse and keyboard.

#35 Edited by AndrewB (7563 posts) -

Goddamn, I could just stay on that website all day and let that music loop through my ears.

Registered by domainsbyproxy, a GoDaddy registration privacy service.

#36 Posted by Mento (2490 posts) -

If they remade Baldur's Gate, would it use the new ruleset? Been a while since I hunkered down with 2nd Edition and its "THAC0"s and "one-and-a-half attack"s. But then switching to 4E would mean rewriting pretty much all the encounters, so I don't even know.

I could see WotC working towards something along those lines, though, considering the only other 4th Edition game I'm aware of is that risible Daggerdale thing.

#37 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

As long as it is from isometric view.

#38 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1990 posts) -

I really don't know.  

But as long as this isn't a remake with 4E, I'll be fine. If they do that, I can guarantee it will be boring as fuck - the same as wth 4th edition itself. 

#39 Posted by isbecome (82 posts) -

welp

Looks like I have to go play Baldur's Gate II again.

Later.

#40 Posted by FiZi (125 posts) -

You know what would be great if it were a remake? Edition Selector! You can pick how you want to play the game 2E, 3E, 3.5E or 4E. Then everyone's happy and it's almost like getting 3.5 to 4.5 (depending on your view of 4E) game's in one.

#41 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

Any chance of Baldur's Gate III ? Yes Dragon Age II was a disaster but I thought Origins was a rather good game.

#42 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

According to somebody on Gaf the BG games were added to the Steam registry recently so that must be it.

#43 Posted by Hector (3357 posts) -

Maybe an iOS port...

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

That logo is different than the actual BG logo in that it is crispy and HD-ified... so that could mean something. Honestly? I think of all the Infinity Engine games the first Baldur's Gate would be the one best suited for an update, because even with something like BG TuTu it's noticeably rougher than the rest of the games that used that tech. Of course, they could also manage to cock it up royally and that would be no fun.

That, or it's coming to steam or something. I'd imagine that GOG's exclusivity of those games is temporary at best. Whatever. Baldur's Gate is a great game and more people should play it.

#45 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

"Following the recent trend, EA and Bioware are proud to announce 'Baldur's Gate', an FPS reboot of the classic franchise, produced in Bioware's new, graphically stunning Infinity2(TM) engine."

#46 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
"Following the recent trend, EA and Bioware are proud to announce 'Baldur's Gate', an FPS reboot of the classic franchise, produced in Bioware's new, graphically stunning Infinity2(TM) engine."
A recent press statement from Bioware North South Studio detailed the company's respect for the Call of Duty franchise:  

"We believe that FPS' have a lot to offer to RPG experiences; Call of Duty and Baldur's Gate are similar in many ways. Each character will now have one customizable automatic weapon, and all your favourite sidearms will be available as DLC to provide as broad an experience as possible."  

Baldur's Gate: Ultimate Warfare will be available on PS3, Xbox 360 and iOS on 12.12.2012
#47 Posted by AndrewB (7563 posts) -

@Megasoum said:

According to somebody on Gaf the BG games were added to the Steam registry recently so that must be it.

I'd say "fuck yes," but I already own everything and if I didn't, I'd go with the GOG versions.

#48 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I would buy it if they made a new high res version and added in full VO.

#49 Posted by EkajArmstro (384 posts) -

If it's a remake I hope they fix the netcode. Most people probably wouldn't care, but playing infinity engine games coop is amazing when you can actually get it to work.

#50 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@yinstarrunner said:
A recent press statement from Bioware North South Studio detailed the company's respect for the Call of Duty franchise:

"We believe that FPS' have a lot to offer to RPG experiences; Call of Duty and Baldur's Gate are similar in many ways. Each character will now have one customizable automatic weapon, and all your favourite sidearms will be available as DLC to provide as broad an experience as possible."

Baldur's Gate: Ultimate Warfare will be available on PS3, Xbox 360 and iOS on 12.12.2012

Hilarious yet scary.