Posted by AMonkey (116 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Is there such a thing as a good mobile game, and if so what? (96 votes)

Yes 90%
Nope 10%

I've been a handheld gamer, a console gamer and a PC gamer at various points in my life, often in parallel. But I've never been a mobile gamer. Most games I see are glorified flash games, like Temple Run, Doodle Jump and Candy Crush Sag. These types of games used to be popular in the early 2000's on Newgrounds, and arguably Newsgrounds still has better games than mobile devices.

Then for more advance games mobile controls are the problem. Touch screen controls are simply awful, they offer no tactile feedback, a lack of buttons and precision. Any game I've tried with these controls I've stopped playing with 5 minutes.

So are there any mobile games, which are actually enjoyable games? As opposed to mutilate, grotesque things trying to survive with a horrible control screen, low processing and graphical power?

The only one I can think of is The Walking Dead.

#1 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

Brad is quite fond on Kingdom Rush. So matbe that one?

#2 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

NINJA! FRUIT!

Edit: Also Kingdom Rush!

#3 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2445 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with flash games. There are good ones and bad ones, just like any type of game.

Dungeon Raid, for example, is like a good flash game, and Candy Crush is like an abysmal flash game. That vampirizes money from you.

#4 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

Kingdom Rush is the only TD game I've ever enjoyed

#5 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I hate the trend of mobile games but I do enjoy Cave's shooters with a touch screen, but would prefer to play them on Vita.

Any game i've enjoyed a little bit on a tablet/phone would be better on 3DS/Vita, without exception.

Its a distraction for people bored at work or on the toilet, mostly. Not a legitimate game platform.

#6 Edited by joshwent (2353 posts) -

I was ready to write a reasonable, hopefully informative response to this, saying exactly why some mobile games are great and why we can expect even greater ones in the near future, but then I thought, fuck it. This is just an absurd question to ask in 2013.

Mobile devices are the same as any other device that can play games. The controls might not be to your liking, but many controllers over the years were pretty strange to see until games proved their worth, and many touch only games already do.

And yes, the most popular mobile games are mostly horrible money sucking-soulless grind fests, but I could easily say that about a lot of console games coming out. Payment structures aren't inherent to a device. And F2P isn't inherently bad.

Also, "low processing and graphical power" is another pointless criticism. You're essentially saying that every old system is "grotesque" because it can't look as good as the best looking games today. Which is obviously just wrong.

Basically you're confusing things you don't personally like, with damning an entire range of devices that play unique games. I hope you can see your error. Giant Bomb does...

#8 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2445 posts) -

Don't forget Devil's Attorney.

#9 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

I always enjoyed the Kairosoft games like Game dev story. Also, Year Walk was seriously amazing.

#10 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Do ports count? If so, my vote goes to 'Ghost Trick' on iOS. Probably one of the best games I've played in recent years.

#11 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

wait? 3ds games aren't moble?

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (9478 posts) -

The only good mobile game is a dead mobile game.

#13 Edited by Hunter5024 (5969 posts) -

I think Kingdom Rush, Gamedev Story, and Plague Inc are all good games. Those are the only good ones I've found though.

#14 Posted by audioBusting (1649 posts) -

I've been playing a lot of Star Command recently. Pretty good game on a 4"-5" phone! The Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney ports on the iOS are still great too.

Ridiculous Fishing is the best mobile game I've played. That game can only be done on a phone and it is fantastic.

#15 Posted by Metzo_Paino (322 posts) -

Mobile games are great. Some of my favourites, not including sequels.

1. Cut the Rope
  2. Rymdkapsel
  3. Badland
  4. Kingdom Rush
  5. Ridiculous Fishing
  6. Year Walk
  7. 10000000
  8. Angry Birds
  9. Temple Run
  10. Super Hexagon
  11. Space Team
  12. Bad Piggies
  13. Letterpress
  14. Middle Manager of Justice
  15. Fruit Ninja
  16. Jetpack Joyride
  17. Spell Tower
  18. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
  19. Tiny Wings
  20. Dungeon Raid
  21. Game Dev Story
  22. Infinity Blade
  23. Wheres My Water
#16 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I end up playing old retro games on my phones, the most recent one ive been playing is Street fighter 2.....fucked up controls but OMG, ITS STREET FIGHTER 2!

#17 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Candy Crush
XCOM
FIFA
Angry Birds
KOTOR
GTA III
GTA Vice City

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Management games work really well, so do adventure games.

Anything that tries to be like a console game on a mobile/tablet is just terrible though. I also think "running" games are the worst thing to happen ever.

#19 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

I've found that I don't really like playing "proper" games on my iPod, but I play a ton of cheap, simple, time-waster type games. That's usually the kind of thing I want to play when I'm on a bus or train or on the toilet, and I have a 3DS for when shit gets real. I've played an awful lot of Jetpack Joyride, and I also really like Ridiculous Fishing and Kingdom Rush. I'm embarrassed to admit how much Bejeweled Blitz and Solitaire Blitz I've played, but I've managed to avoid Candy Crush.

#20 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

I like Zynga Poker and Miniclip 8 ball pool, but that's because I'm a horrible person. Word games are neat because you don't really need great controls, I've been playing a game called Word Hero which is live multiplayer boggle against everyone else that is playing so there's a live leaderboard of a couple of hundred people.

#21 Posted by HermanBloom (94 posts) -

Pocket League Story 2 is pretty neat, done by the game Dev Story guys (which generally is seen as a good mobile game). 1000000 as also mentioned in here.

#22 Edited by AMonkey (116 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Mobile devices are the same as any other device that can play games. The controls might not be to your liking, but many controllers over the years were pretty strange to see until games proved their worth, and many touch only games already do..

Also, "low processing and graphical power" is another pointless criticism. You're essentially saying that every old system is "grotesque" because it can't look as good as the best looking games today. Which is obviously just wrong.

1. I should have clarified I don't have any inherent problems with touch controls, but when a mobile game tries to emulate a game clearly meant for a controller its embarrassing. Trying to use a touch screen as a joy pad is awful, as is trying complicated button gestures. This means a lot of traditional genres don't work on mobiles, or don't work without significant modification. This includes adventure, RPG, fighting, sports etc

2. No. The difference is just now mobile technology pales vastly compared to handheld, PC and console gaming. In the past the N64 and Playstation were graphical juggernauts. The GBA was, well, advanced. Due to the limited power of mobiles, they inherently cannot directly compete with the type of games offered on other platforms. Thus they must offer unique games or die. So are there any mobile games, that can stand up to their bigger brothers? My feeling is no.

Those videos you added are worth checking out, so thank you for posting them.

#23 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

I've been wondering this too, I'd like a play Old-FF-like JRPG games, but haven't really bothered to search. I sometimes look "Top games" and they're always something along the lines of "SUPER SNIPER MASTER KILLER DEATHMASTER MARKSMAN SCOPE KILLER HD", Virtual Girlfriend, SOLDIER HEROES OF THE FINAL NUCLEAR DEATH WAR and Big Tit Strip Poker.

#24 Edited by joshwent (2353 posts) -

Absolutely right, but that's in no way a problem with mobile games or mobile devices, simply a problem with a dev making a game that's not suited for the platform.

The same can be said about trying to make an RTS like Starcraft for consoles. The way you control that game will always be better with a mouse and keyboard. But it clearly doesn't mean that the console is a lesser device. Just that it demands games that are suited specifically for it.

Also, totally correct. But the good news is... they do! If you check out any of those videos, watch the one for "The Room". It's a puzzle game where you manipulate a series of boxes to solve puzzles on them and try to get inside. Most of the interactions are context sensitive, so you turn a key instead of just tapping it. Nothing revolutionary because we've seen that for years now with Wii game waggling and even shit like "spin the analog stick until the door opens" but with those control schemes it usually just feels like a cheesy waste of time. When you're actually interacting with your fingers practically touching the object, it's incredibly satisfying.

I'm pro-mobile because I'm pro-game, and these (though admittedly few) games are opening up experiences that simply wouldn't be as good with other controls. And the more support mobile games get, the better the games will be.

#25 Posted by squiDc00kiE (367 posts) -

10000000, Rediculous Fishing, Rymdkapsel

#26 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

Plants Vs. Zombies

#27 Posted by BBAlpert (1578 posts) -

Where's My Water is fuckin' rad. It's seriously a way better physics puzzle game than a Disney-produced phone game has any right being.

#28 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Really enjoy Elder Sign Omens & agreed about 10000000 also as a good mobile game. Elder Sign has more of a turn-based system so it works great on the mobile environment.

Cthulhu saves the world, another good one with a early jrpg setting & combat so the turn-based gameplay works great here. Tried other mobile games recently where there's more of the arcade/screen controls which I just found to be somewhat problematic.

Both up for android phones & guessing out for iphone too & not too expensive.

#29 Posted by Eqtriz (27 posts) -

Cook, Serve, Delicious!

#30 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Tiny Towers is a stellar little game.

#31 Posted by isomeri (1420 posts) -

Snake's pretty dope.

#32 Edited by Veektarius (5024 posts) -

I liked Angry Birds: Space; it's the only phone game I've beaten. I feel like most things that are passed off as 'mobile' games these days are designed for tablets and not phones, and that makes having a complicated setup a lot easier. I don't have a tablet, so I don't really get to experience games like this.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

lol. Nice thread title dude.

#34 Edited by Fear_the_Booboo (587 posts) -

I've completed Super Hexagon on PC and on mobile and I think I prefer the mobile version. Anybody saying mobile game are not "real" game should play that one.

#35 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Shibuya. Easily the mobile game I've played the most. It's a color-matching puzzle game, with only 1 (relevant) dimension. Blocks stream down the screen and you have to sort them before they land. Simple glowing colors (that evoke the neon of Tokyo's Shibuya district) and some solid electronica music make it a wholly absorbing experience. It was in the PAX 10 in 2010.

Also: Triple Town, Flight Control, and Kickin' Momma(it's a Peggle ripoff but also good).

#36 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@amonkey said:

@joshwent said:

Mobile devices are the same as any other device that can play games. The controls might not be to your liking, but many controllers over the years were pretty strange to see until games proved their worth, and many touch only games already do..

1. I should have clarified I don't have any inherent problems with touch controls, but when a mobile game tries to emulate a game clearly meant for a controller its embarrassing. Trying to use a touch screen as a joy pad is awful, as is trying complicated button gestures. This means a lot of traditional genres don't work on mobiles, or don't work without significant modification. This includes adventure, RPG, fighting, sports etc

2. No. The difference is just now mobile technology pales vastly compared to handheld, PC and console gaming. In the past the N64 and Playstation were graphical juggernauts. The GBA was, well, advanced. Due to the limited power of mobiles, they inherently cannot directly compete with the type of games offered on other platforms. Thus they must offer unique games or die. So are there any mobile games, that can stand up to their bigger brothers? My feeling is no.

Those videos you added are worth checking out, so thank you for posting them.

Have you ever seen any mobile games? The iPhone is pretty damn powerful...Infinity Blade alone looks as good as a low-end XBOX 360 game...way more "advanced" than a Game Boy Advance.

#37 Posted by Miyuki (177 posts) -

I mostly play puzzle games like picross on mine. I haven't been thrilled with many of the more serious offerings. Year Walk looks great though - I might try it. My iphone really only gets used for games when I'm somewhere (ie work) that I might not want everyone to see me playing my 3ds.

#38 Posted by probablytuna (3829 posts) -

Game Dev Story is still one of my favourite mobile games.

#39 Posted by geirr (2710 posts) -

I vote for "probably?".

I loved PvZ and Kingdom Rush before they discovered micro-transactions and retro-actively soaked each game in them.

#40 Posted by chiablo (999 posts) -

Rayman Jungle Run. It's very similar to Rayman Origins, but boils the controls down to one or two buttons, it's always running, you just have to tell him to jump or attack.

Where's My Water. Despite the cartoony graphics and Disney design, it's a solid puzzle game and one that I've spent most of my mobile gaming on. Where's My Water 2 is free to play, and the microtransactions aren't disgusting like in PvZ2. Pick this one up and if you like the gameplay, get the original, which is a far superior game.

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

I had to double check to see if this was a necro thread from 3 years ago.

#42 Edited by Levius (1230 posts) -

I probably still play Drop7 every week.

#43 Posted by chiablo (999 posts) -

This topic seems to come up about once per month. At this point I'm not sure if people are trolling or if this is a legitimate question every time.

#44 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@amonkey said:

2. No. The difference is just now mobile technology pales vastly compared to handheld, PC and console gaming. In the past the N64 and Playstation were graphical juggernauts. The GBA was, well, advanced. Due to the limited power of mobiles, they inherently cannot directly compete with the type of games offered on other platforms. Thus they must offer unique games or die. So are there any mobile games, that can stand up to their bigger brothers

If we're talking from a purely technological standpoint, modern smartphones are more powerful than the 3DS, and not far away from the power of the Vita. Mobile devices can absolutely produce graphics comparable to current generation handhelds.

#45 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

This topic seems to come up about once per month. At this point I'm not sure if people are trolling or if this is a legitimate question every time.

That is crazy to me. I definitely was in the 'mobile games can suck it' camp at one point but yeah...that was a looong time ago. Anyone still straight up comparing mobile to console/PC games is a crazy person.

#46 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Yup, there are a ton really. I just hate playing games on my phone, has nothing to do with the games themselves. If i had a tablet, that might be a different story, i could see myself playing games on a tablet in bed.

#47 Posted by MonetaryDread (2178 posts) -

@joshwent: You sir, summed that up better than I could.

#48 Posted by Tom_omb (429 posts) -

If I'm out I'd rather play my 3DS, but I've enjoyed some time with Cut the Rope, Drop 7, Jet Pack Joyride and Draw Something.