Is this a decent starter gaming PC?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sopranosfan

http://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-GM2222D-5150-Escape-Gaming/dp/B0080NQCWY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369445223&sr=8-3&keywords=Gaming+PC

It won't let me create a link on the IPad on the new ap, so sorry about that.

Well with the XBone deciding to cause all the headache of the DRM and forcing connection to the Internet of the PC without the cheaper prices of Steam and even Amazon I figure why not switch to a PC but the problem is I haven't PC gamed since basically any computer would run any game. Will this one be adequate? I know it won't be top of the line but will it run most new games pretty well?

McNaastyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

With that rig you should be able to play most games with a medium to low settings on your graphics.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

This rig is going to get outdated obsolete fast once the new consoles come. A quick look at game benchmarks show that the GPU can do ~30fps at medium detail with no AA at 1080p resolution with games that were new when the card was originally released (e.g. Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, etc.).

My guess: current games will run at acceptable fps at 720p with no AA.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'd highly recommend spending a few hundred more and getting something better. Ideally build your own based on a guide from a reputable website, but if you want to buy pre-built you should get something better than that. The graphics card in that thing is mediocre at best, the power supply is weak, the HDD is tiny, there is no SSD, and AMD CPUs generally aren't as good for gaming as Intel CPUs. Perhaps most importantly, from the images it looks like your options for expansion are quite limited, so your possible upgrade paths would also be quite limited.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sopranosfan

Thanks for the help, is there a website I can read up on gaming PCs. Like what to look for and what the parts do.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

To build a PC, watch Tested.com's videos of building a PC. The one where they build Jeff's PC is pretty thorough. Their latest one where the build a small ITX PC with Lloyd Case is decent too (they do a good job explaining on how to build a computer, but they chose unnecessarily expensive parts to build a gaming PC with).

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is a good way to figure out what parts you should get in respect to your budget. http://pcpartpicker.com/ is a great tool to put your build together, as it tells you the cheapest place to buy each part and also tells you of any compatibility issues you might have with the parts you chose.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By rebgav
SketchAEtch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SketchAEtch

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454061-how-build-kick-ass-gaming-pc-2013/

There's a pretty decent video from our friends over at Tested that explains pretty much what you need to know. Otherwise, there are many MANY tech websites out there that usually publish at-least-quarterly build lists.

Some of these:

www.anandtech.com

www.tomshardware.com

www.xbitlabs.com

Other users I'm sure can chime in on which site they prefer.

When you actually get down to brass tacks and want to part out and build one yourself, I like to use

www.pcpartpicker.com

to get a general idea of the available parts out there and mock up a list.

[Edit: Looks like

@andorski

and

@rebgav

have the right idea.]

b4d533d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tested made a good video a couple months ago making a small form factor gaming pc that's good for noob builders to check out. that is, if you can get over norm and will tripping over their own dicks to interrupt the guest every 10 seconds to show how much they know/don't know.