Is This The Next Metal Gear Game, Or What?

• 142 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
What is this image? It's the teaser-to-a-countdown-to-an-announcement that's been running on Kojima Productions' home page since last week. 

No Caption Provided
If you hadn't heard, Konami's most famous studio was running that image sans countdown timer for the last week or so, prompting rampant speculation that the announcement for the next Metal Gear game was on the way. (Seeing that big fat numeral 5 written in the MGS4 font does little to allay that speculation, obviously.)

Kotaku has a good breakdown of the obscure details rampant Metal Gear fans have dug out of this page and its source code. All of this stuff sounds like it all but confirms some kind of Metal Gear connection, though I have no idea what the significance of April 2007 might be.

• Analysing the page's source code via Flash, it seems that the current countdown on the site is but one of five clocks that will run on the site over the next few weeks... What's interesting about this is that the fifth one runs out on June 1. Or, the day of Microsoft's E3 press conference (Sony's is a day later, on June 2).
  • The site occasionally flashes white when lightning flashes. At the bottom of the screen, you can clearly see the words "APRIL 2007". Does that mean anything to hardcore series fans?
  • The site's search keywords are "Hideo Kojima", "MGS", "METAL GEAR", "NEXT", "game", "Konami", "Kojima game", "KJP", "Kojima Production". Interesting that, if they're search engine keywords, none of them say "MGS5".

That reference to Microsoft's E3 press conference dovetails nicely with the supposed details coming out of a Twitter account called GameFork recently, which indicated a game called "Metal Gear Solid 4+Oxide" would act as the finale at the press briefing on June 1. That sounds suspiciously like the long-rumored 360 port of MGS4, and it's followed up by this vague nugget.

For the questions about MGS+O being show finale: Konami will announce a 360 exclusive (NOBODY outside of Kon has been told what this is)...

Could well be referring to the same product as this counter, no? Of course, Microsoft big cheese Aaron Greenberg squashed those rumors whole hog recently--but then, it seems noteworthy that he took the time to respond at all, if this info is so far off the mark.

What do you think Kojima and company have up their sleeves this time?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
What is this image? It's the teaser-to-a-countdown-to-an-announcement that's been running on Kojima Productions' home page since last week. 

No Caption Provided
If you hadn't heard, Konami's most famous studio was running that image sans countdown timer for the last week or so, prompting rampant speculation that the announcement for the next Metal Gear game was on the way. (Seeing that big fat numeral 5 written in the MGS4 font does little to allay that speculation, obviously.)

Kotaku has a good breakdown of the obscure details rampant Metal Gear fans have dug out of this page and its source code. All of this stuff sounds like it all but confirms some kind of Metal Gear connection, though I have no idea what the significance of April 2007 might be.

• Analysing the page's source code via Flash, it seems that the current countdown on the site is but one of five clocks that will run on the site over the next few weeks... What's interesting about this is that the fifth one runs out on June 1. Or, the day of Microsoft's E3 press conference (Sony's is a day later, on June 2).
  • The site occasionally flashes white when lightning flashes. At the bottom of the screen, you can clearly see the words "APRIL 2007". Does that mean anything to hardcore series fans?
  • The site's search keywords are "Hideo Kojima", "MGS", "METAL GEAR", "NEXT", "game", "Konami", "Kojima game", "KJP", "Kojima Production". Interesting that, if they're search engine keywords, none of them say "MGS5".

That reference to Microsoft's E3 press conference dovetails nicely with the supposed details coming out of a Twitter account called GameFork recently, which indicated a game called "Metal Gear Solid 4+Oxide" would act as the finale at the press briefing on June 1. That sounds suspiciously like the long-rumored 360 port of MGS4, and it's followed up by this vague nugget.

For the questions about MGS+O being show finale: Konami will announce a 360 exclusive (NOBODY outside of Kon has been told what this is)...

Could well be referring to the same product as this counter, no? Of course, Microsoft big cheese Aaron Greenberg squashed those rumors whole hog recently--but then, it seems noteworthy that he took the time to respond at all, if this info is so far off the mark.

What do you think Kojima and company have up their sleeves this time?

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By CoolDrMoney

5 new characters for MGO!!!!!

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jixashauser

Please let it be the mgs4 port to the 360!

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Blomakrans

Seems kinda weird to have a huge "5" on the website if it's a port for 360 of MGS4...

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff

Not sure what to think really. Time will tell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would guess some Metal Gear for 360

shayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By shayo

I speculate that's it's going to be about Raiden. In Japanese "raiden" means lightning, which would explain the weather on the picture. Solid Snake has been milked out pretty much and he should be dead by now.

They should make a game about Otacon, his own sneak mission where Snake guides him through office buildings in order to hack something.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Tiwi

Nay its a 5 in the background, it would not make sense if it was MGS 4.
but Kojima never makes sense anyway so... i guess we have to wait:-(

Edit:I got it
the 5 is the countdown timer
5 countdowns before the reveal
when the first end the number becomes 4  and so on

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By REDRUN

Metal Gear Raiden or Ape Escape Solid

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Hey Brad.  Whatever happened with this?  Just curious.  I saw the updates on there, but regardless, it's odd that nothing ever came of it.

As for this new teaser thing, who honestly knows?  It's Kojima.  The dood writes stories that have vampire super soldiers and crazy invisible stealth ninja assassins.  Whatever it is, I'm sure that everyone will hype it up to be the next Messiah...and if it's a new, original IP, then why the HELL would he put up a teaser site for it?  There's NO point in that at all.

It'll probably be like all those other teaser sites before, where this turns out to be something like a new Metal Gear Acid game.

Personally, he needs to do a Policenauts game.  That's just me, though.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oraknabo

They're remaking the original NES game in the MGS4 engine!!!

...I got nothing.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By lord_canti

im gonna call a raiden game due to thunder and lightning in background and that the 30th of april 2007 was the day he met rose (yes i am that geeky)

slayerofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By slayerofheroes

I'm confused now to tell you the truth. According to gamespot the announcement is supposed to be released today. But the counter is nowhere close to finishing today. And now Kotaku says that the site has 5 clocks and the last one runs out on June 1st the day of Microsoft's E3 press conference. If this is true than it's a BIG chance of the MGS 4 port that's long been rumored for the 360. AHHH! Too much thinking that my brain hurts. lol.

Avatar image for pandabearparamedics
PandaBearParamedics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking about getting a PS3, and Metal Gear Solid 4 has been the main reason (I've played all the others so I want to see what happens). I hope for Sony's sake that its not MGS4, but I hope for my bank accounts sake that it is MGS4. But, my guess is that it's a new game called Metal Gear Liquid; and in the game we will learn more about Liquid.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By End_Boss

Why would they remake the original Metal Gear when they've already done so for the Gamecube? No, I don't think it's that. The gamer in me hopes to god it's the 360 MGS4 port, because that would mean I could finally put the MGS series to rest. Please, Kojima? Please?

P.S. If it is, I'm turning the game off when Snake puts the pistol in his mouth, because goddamnit, that's where the game ends.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Otacon

Surely hinting this much at MGS5 and not announcing it would cause more of a negative reaction, I think this is probably MGS5.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's not a '5' it's an 'S' for Snake!

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killdave

mgs5 exclusive to the microsoft xbox 1080 snowboarding!

haha pff

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By wrecks

mgs5. and that flash is dope!

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#21  Edited By Marino  Staff

I really don't want it to be MGS5, as I think Kojima should do something new, but take a look at this...

No Caption Provided

These are Konami press kits I have from E3 2000, 2003, and 2005.  Notice the similarity with the numbers, just big block letter font.  That combined with the fact that this is counting down to E3...
Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thejugglingbum

It's Metal Gear five. This time it stars Raiden. If you played MGS4 Snake says Raiden is the lightning in the storm. In the teaser everytime the lighting flashes you see the five. Maybe it will be on both systems. I don't this is all speculation.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Mattalorian

N4G has unveiled that the "April 2007" text probably means nothing; it seems as though whoever put the animation together used a poster from the movie Grindhouse for some graphics, and forgot to clean up the image. You can clearly see the "Troublemaker" and "Dimension" logos towards the left and right of the date.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FlipperDesert

Konami are making Duke Nukem Forever, you heard it here first.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stephengotlost

Remember how anti-climatic the MGS iPhone game teaser was?
I would not get my hopes up for this either.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Warihay

The writing has been on the wall for years. This all but confirms it. Metal Gear for 360 is happening

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tiwi
@the_chojin99: Yes, that's right. I should have thought of that. (now I'm not nearly geeky enough)
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DukeTogo

It's an "S" and it's the new Snatcher game being worked on by Kojima and Suda 51.  It's been known as "Project S" for years.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thiago

Raiden is Japanese for "thunder and lightning". That's why he talks about lightning and rain in MGS4.

April 2007 is when Raiden meets Rose.

That seems to be a 5, and probably is a Metal Gear game featuring Raiden as its main character.

Whatever it is, it is not MGS4.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By keyhunter

I hope it has Raiden and Snake extreme half pipe skateboarding like the XBOX version of MGS 2.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thiago

I think they should kill Solid Snake once and for all. No more sequels to MGS4, please. A Raiden game would be awesome.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By artofwar420

Metal Gear Raiden. Yes it's Metal Gear Raiden.  

OR It could be... nah it is a new MGS.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DukeTogo

While I don't see the date in the image, (possibly fixed) April 2007 was when Grindhouse came out, and the rough edge art along the border of the image looks to be "borrowed" from the artwork of that movie poster.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thiago

It is MGS5, but maybe Kojima is joking about being with Raiden. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFJ24qvqIjI

It wouldn't be the first time he jokes about Raiden being the main character.

EDIT: At the end of this video, Raiden says something like "but MGS4 is..." and then Rose replies "There is going to be a 5, right?"

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By CL60

I seriously doubt it's MGS5...it wouldn't be this soon.

dibiase77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dibiase77

It's gonna be "S" for Smash Bros...and Raiden will be the new playable character!!

(P.S. that sounds dumb)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax

It's a countdown to nothing. When it hits zero, a message will pop up saying "Lulz, we were just fuckin with ya"

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skillface

"You were the lightning in that rain"

That about does it. Metal Gear Raiden.

Stabbers_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Stabbers_McGee

The are going to announce that Kojima and Cliff Bleszinski have teamed up to make Metal Gears of War... Origins

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40  Edited By natetodamax
@Stabbers_McGee: Dude, yes
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
Stabbers_McGee said:
The are going to announce that Kojima and Cliff Bleszinski have teamed up to make Metal Gears of War... Origins [more]
Bungie is teaming up too for Metal Gears of Halo
lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lolwot

deleted

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#43  Edited By mariussmit

This is obviously the Assasin's Creed/MGS crossover ;-)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60
murse2008 said:
This is obviously the Assasin's Creed/MGS crossover ;-)
Metal Gear Assassins?!
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Puppy

Considering that the last "teaser" Konami threw out there emulated a green power logo (*cough*Xbox*cough*) and it turned out to be a watered down MGS for the iPhone, I'm of the mind that Konami likes mischief-making. Either that or its PR firm sucks.

2c

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By ddensel

Obviously a card game for the N-Gage.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thiago
Puppy said:
Considering that the last "teaser" Konami threw out there emulated a green power logo (*cough*Xbox*cough*) and it turned out to ... [more]

The power logo is an industry standard. Any electronic device has it. Only xbots got all excited about it.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
thiago said:
Puppy said: Considering that the last "teaser" Konami threw out there emulated a green power logo (*cough*Xbox*cough*) and it turned ... [more]
Stop being such a fanboy thiago, please..it's getting ridiculous. Every one of your posts says xbots or why the 360 sucks and the ps3 is awesome. Just stop trolling...whats the point really?
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Puppy
CL60 said:
thiago said: Puppy said: Considering that the last "teaser" Konami threw out there emulated a green power logo (*cough*Xbox*cough*) and ... [more]

Thank you. My point was that even though the power logo is a universal one, using it in that fashion and that specific shade of green so closely emulates the Xbox 360's LED that I find myself hard pressed to believe that Konami would not think about the possiblity of such a correlation being drawn before releasing the teaser. I think "they" were just teasing the audience.

That in mind, I wouldn't put it past them to (harmlessly) mislead the audience again this time around.
Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Damotello

April 2007 was when Raiden and Rose met, they mention it a number of times in MGS2. It's an MGS game fo' sho'.