Is this the worst videogame generation yet?

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

What do you think?

Many bashed my topic about reasons to buy a next gen console, but it seems that i'm not the only underwhelmed by the quality of this gen titles.

Barla Von, a member of Edge, in his blog wrote this article...

Is this the worst videogame generation yet?

Is this the worst videogame generation yet? There is nothing out there (as of yet) you could call a masterpiece, a truly must have game.

This gen has been modest in terms of quality, so far, to say the least.

Last generation it was just about games, but now consoles have just become minimum spec PC's with frequent firmware updates, game installs, game patches, DLC, and  built-in browsers,etc.

Also, i really miss Japanese developed games, last gen there was loads, high quality games that offered truly unique experiences.

Now the market is dominated by mediore western titles, titles that are so over-hyped (Mass Effect, Killzone 2, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Resistance, etc), proclaiming to be triple-A games, when in fact they aren't even anywhere close to hold such status.

In fact, i'm so underwhelmed by this generation, i've went and bought a PS2 to play the huge back-catalogue of games i missed out on the first time around.

So, Is this the worst videogame generation yet? For me personally it is because a) i played way better games last gen b) it was all about the games last gen, not your console trying to be a million things and c) the rise of western (mediocre) titles is seriously unfullfilling me.

BV

What do you think of the article?
Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Sdoots

I think the guy writing it has a point that is immediately made less agreeable when he says that there have been no "masterpieces" this gen. Bioshock, for example, was a HUGE step in the field of storytelling in a genre that mostly consists of space marines. Among other reasons, I can say without any hesitation Bioshock was a masterpiece of this generation. On the other hand, I do feel like if the market continues to favor rehases and quick cash ins over new ideas or fully fleshed out sequels, then the industry is only going to go downward. I truly hope people will stop buying Guitar Hero for no reason other than "It's Guitar Hero", because that kind of logic is what is going to give us as consumers more products that offer nothing unique.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

Well i have more fun this gen than last .

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By fuzzyponken

I agree. I haven't been very impressed at all by the so called AAA games the past few years. The true winners this gen has been small downloadable games, and that's saying something.  
I guess me getting older and becoming harder to impress might have something to do with it, though. 

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roofy

wish i could find the post to link to.

there have been more games rated 80 or over than ever before.

i can name more quality titles this gen than i can for last

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By demonbear

I totally disagree, this person should stop consuming crack. Its not good for the health. Seriously.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

Does this guy actually write for EDGE?  Even as an informal blog post this is complete poop-on-a-stick for a professional writer. 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind

No.

BAM!!!
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By guiseppe

Well, they guy liked Mass Effect enough to take his nickname from it. Furthermore, I'll have to agree with turbomonkey138.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

I kind of agree, but it isn't that simple.  I agree that the so-called AAA games are not must haves, as they just simply are not what I enjoy.  With last gen though, I though that the Xbox was the most boring console ever.  I have 60+ games and find none of them to be memorable.  The Gamecube was excellent and the PS2 had many awesome JRPG which is where most of my fun lies. 

With this generation, the 360 has some good JRPG and nothing else for me, but in fairness, a lot of games others love.  I haven't got a PS3 and there is very little calling out for me to buy one, bar a small number of JRPGs.  The Wii has some excellent titles and is a lot of fun, but it really still needs some more"special" games, but it is rivalling the Gamecube for me. 

I think that many of us are simply becoming jaded, as it is difficult to do something new and special, as it is largely last gen again, but with prettier graphics.  The games are probably as good, but our expectations may b just a little unrealistic.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

So the guy likes shitty Japanese games...

And no, this is without a doubt the best gen. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy are two that I'd easily call must have games, I'd even go as far to say they're two of the best games ever made. 

There's also been a huge influx of indie developed games..  things like Castle Crashers, Fat Princess and 'Splosion Man, etc have all been excellent, and they're types of games that never would have existed last generation.  So the market is definitely changing, perhaps away from your personal tastes.. But I've enjoyed gaming this generation just as much as I did when I was a wee lad with an NES.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
@oldschool said:

" I think that many of us are simply becoming jaded, as it is difficult to do something new and special, as it is largely last gen again, but with prettier graphics.  The games are probably as good, but our expectations may b just a little unrealistic. "

I think you just touched a very important point.

Many games really are like the last gen ones, but with hd resolution. Probably the increase in graphics have been barring inovation and focus on fields like gameplay and inovation.

That sucks, because graphics save little exceptions don't really translate well in enjoyment.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Jeust: That's the worst blog article, yet.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @Jeust: That's the worst blog article, yet. "
It can be, but does it have a point?

That's what matters... :P
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool
@Jeust said:
" @oldschool said:
" I think that many of us are simply becoming jaded, as it is difficult to do something new and special, as it is largely last gen again, but with prettier graphics.  The games are probably as good, but our expectations may b just a little unrealistic. "
I think you just touched a very important point.  Many games really are like the last gen ones, but with hd resolution. Probably the increase in graphics have been barring inovation and focus on fields like gameplay and inovation. "
You are probably right.  It is like the DS where to much attention was applied to the touch screen instead of making a better game.  Same could be said for the Wii and motion controls.  Perhaps some developers have just decided that all they need to do is make a game look good without value adding on last gen in any meaningful way.  I am honestly not blown away by HD graphics.  I play the 360 and the Wii and it never occurs to me that one is better from a graphical point of view (except the obvious cheaply produced games).  IfI am having fun, it just doesn't matter.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Jeust: Yeah, I was joking.

The quality of current games and production values are extremely high.  However, whether you enjoy them or not is entirely subjective and based on personal taste.  Therefore, his post seems pointless.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust
@oldschool: 

Yep! I agree... perhaps graphics and gimicks are deviating the atention from the games themselves, and concentrating instead in playing according with the strenghts of each system.

And that is a bit worrying especially in a time when the new motion sensor technologies are almost ready to ship with the 3D glasses and televisions. 

Will the game itself become second to the experience provided by such inovations?

I hope not...
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

My personal fave is during the ps1+N64 era, but i will admit its been a great era with the ps3+360.
Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bouke

Umm... I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you.... yeah....

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust
@teh_pwnzorer: 

But what has been higher the production values or the quality/enjoyment given by games?
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By spacetrucking

Thats a whole lot of hyperboles without anything to back up his opinion. Plus anyone who describes modern games as "Triple-A" titles just comes across as being archaic to me. Games have evolved so far since that old moniker. They are more like interactive experiences rather than just a set of gameplay mechanics put together with a story to tie it together. I just think the game industry has evolved and is getting progressively better each year while the author of that article is still stuck in the 90s.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Luke

I wish the guy that wrote the article had put up examples of the games he's talking about on the PS2.  

I can kinda understand where he's coming from, if it's on a JRPG-level.  

One type of game that I would like to see come-back in full-force on consoles, not hand-helds, is the 2D side-scroller.  Be it adventure/exploration (like Metroid, Castlevania II, SOTN, Wonder Boy 5, and/or Zelda II) or action (like Ninja Gaiden I, II, and III and/or the old Castlevanias I, III, and IV).  Some have tried, like Shadow Complex, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Muramasa, but we need more... so much more.  And they need to make them hard as hell like they used to be :) 

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By DCFGS3

Hmm, I almost agree. What I think the point was that there a no (or very few) 'classic' games. For example in 5 years time nobody is going to sit down and play Bioshock to relive old memories, but people do sit down and play Smash Brothers, Zelda and Goldeneye (a game that has never been topped), and yes, I know those were all 2 gens ago (and 64). Also I feel that developers seemed to stumble a little with the power of the new consoles, in particular the PS3. There were clear limits to what you could do in games last gen, so far more work went into making a game good with what you have, these days developers seem to be a little in awe of consoles processing power, and don't really know how to craft a 'masterpiece' game with so much power.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JammyJesus

Appart from a bad case of sequelitis then no, its alright.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

I don't think anything can be called a "masterpiece" until some time has past.  We are able to look back on the games of previous generations with greater knowledge of how they impacted what followed.  This generation is still being written and the games that have found their ways into our libraries are too new to get a good feel for their actual importance.  Plus, though no fault of the industry, the current economic climate limits the amount of risks game companies and game consumers are willing to take.  Publishers have to be more cautious these days otherwise they will not survive until better days.  I think this generation has produced some very good games.  I'm certain in a decade several of them will be regarded as truly noteworthy and rank them alongside the best of previous generations.  Maybe lists in the future will include Portal, Bioshock, Little Big Planet, Super Mario Galaxy, or something we haven't even seen yet.  Only time can tell.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Jeust: I've had more fun playing Demon's Souls than I did Wind Waker, so at least by '09 this generation hasn't turned out worse (for me at least).  I'm tempted to say that my disappointment is Nintendo's move towards gimmicks...but then I recall the power glove and R.O.B.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea no this generation is awesome I am in the middle of Playing Assassins Creed 2 Dragon Age on the PC and doing MW2 MP on the side and helping my 11 year old sister on the weekends play through the first Rachet and Clank with me anyone who says this stuff isn't fun is just suffering from Nostalgia-ic overload or something these games are the results of years of refining formulas till the point of Near perfection Never look back my friends the future is where its at.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Bigandtasty

This gen is fine, maybe less games that I will look on with fond memories as super-awesome, but more good games overall. That point about having no true masterpieces (yes, I've played BioShock and Braid and Portal) is the only valid assertion in the article.

Also he takes his nickname from Mass Effect and calls it "mediocre" and "overhyped" what?

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Famov

The worst gen is the one that allowed the creation of the 3D0 and the one that killed 2D gaming, presumably for the advancement of FMV games. So, that horrible middle period between the 16 and 32 bit generations, 1993 - 1995. 

Think about it for a minute, people sincerely thought that Full Motion Video games were the future. So I've been told, Sewer Shark was a respected enough as a commercial product that it was sold with the Sega CD. 

That should never have happened. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but FMV games suck so much it's almost not funny, but just almost.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Famov: FMV games sucked and *many* of the first console and PC 3d games at the time sucked too.  Two polygons per face and 15 fps at 320x240 was the norm.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jeust
@Famov: I agree with you.

I had forgotten that era. 

Most of the world didn't even noticed, as it didn't take that long. But that really was the worse.

Thanks for bringing that up!

@teh_pwnzorer said:

" @Jeust: I've had more fun playing Demon's Souls than I did Wind Waker, so at least by '09 this generation hasn't turned out worse (for me at least).  I'm tempted to say that my disappointment is Nintendo's move towards gimmicks...but then I recall the power glove and R.O.B. "

Hum hum. I too am having fun this generation, but most newer games really don't impact me as much. 

Perhaps that's the problem of playing for so long. 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evilsbane
@Famov:   Phantasmagoria nuff said....
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#34  Edited By Valkyr

I miss mad japanese games, everyone is turning to western design, even jrpgs are not what they used to be, now they try to be "action" jrpgs  to suit a broader global market and when an old style rpg like Lost Odyssey comes out they bash it to death till they fail miserably. I think the problem is that now we have the 360 and the ps3, western focused consoles and Nintendo that has turned to the casuals, at some point we had Sega as a console maker, which was as mad as a japanese company could be, someone has to fill that category of crazy cheap games that are fun and don't try to be the second coming of Christ. Just watch the bayonetta new trailer, that man is right, he just wants to deliver some crazy and fun nonsense violent game and it have already paid, it is selling as hot bread, we need more games like that

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Valkyr: The popularity of action rpgs isn't new.  Recall the Seiken Densetsu series...or even the NES Zelda games.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By FireBurger

BioShock
Assassin's Creed
Super Mario 3D
Super Mario 2D
Metal Gear Solid
The Elder Scrolls
Uncharted
Metroid Prime
Call of Duty
Halo
Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Zelda
Ghost Recon
Battlefield
Fallout
Grand Theft Auto
Half-Life  
LittleBigPlanet
Left 4 Dead
Rainbow Six
Mirror's Edge 
Resident Evil
Gears of War
Fight Night
Dead Space 
Forza

Those are just some of the franchises that have been great to awesome this generation. We are seeing an unprecedented number of great games coming out year after year after year. Have people forgotten about comparing 2007 to 1998?

The games are there and they are great, no doubt. If people are dissatisfied with the current generation it's due to jadedness and nostalgia more than anything else. I get jaded, too, from time to time, but some of my all-time favorite games have come out this generation (BioShock, Oblivion, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, Orange Box).  On one of the Bombcasts, Paul Barnett talked about what he referred to as our personal "Golden Age" of gaming, which is a time that we look back on fondly and remember all the games we used to love, and think that was the best time for games. I agree 100% with that and I think that's mostly all this is.

Saying that nothing has changed between this generation and last aside from graphics is plainly wrong. Think of how far storytelling has come in genres that previously didn't give a damn. Think about the expansive, populated, and living worlds games like Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Oblivion, and Dragon Age create. Think about the way persistent online functionality has changed the way we play FPSs. Think about the way that DLC (though sometimes used shadily) can add legs to a game that you would have otherwise long ago put on a shelf. Think about the way that games like Left 4 Dead have created great cooperative experiences. Think about the crazy, dramatic set-pieces that games like Call of Duty can now create with the power at hand. Think about how the motion control of the Wii can be used to interact with a game like never before. Think about the way the proliferation of online functionality as a whole has allowed people to interact with others through games more than ever before. Think about the way that games like LittleBigPlanet promote user-generated content, and how things like XBLA/PSN/Wii Marketplace bring us smaller games we otherwise may never have played (Braid, World of Goo, Geometry Wars).

What did people want out of thise generation? How is any of what I mentioned any less of an increment over what the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube offered over the N64/PS1? Really, the biggest "innovation" I can think of there is making FPSs work well on a console, but that's still a genre that was in existence on PCs for a long time. I'm not saying advances weren't made in that leap, they certainly were, but I don't think it somehow outdoes the leap between the current generations. 

If someone thinks that the current generation of consoles doesn't offer anything new or good, they need to go back and play some last-gen titles. Very few games hold up at this point. They just seem so barebones, offering limited gameplay mechanics and options, choices to make, online functionality, and so on. And, as much as people like to complain that it's just prettier graphics, they really do make a difference in making a world come to life, especially when combined with realisitc physics.

Besides, if people want innovation, they should have bought Mirror's Edge.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By floodiastus

The guy doesn't mention any masterpieces of the last generation though? Which is odd when refering to new gen titles.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Marzy

Videogames have never felt as good as they were back when the N64 was around, to me. The last two generations of consoles have gotten worse, in my opinion. I still enjoy videogaming, but nothing will beat those times when videogames and consoles had major evolution, in my opinion.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Jeust: 
I wouldn't say it's the worst generation of consoles. All this shit with motion control and many games being 4 hours long with a huge multiplayer focus isn't a direction I want video games to go in at all. But still, yesterday I was playing Dragon Age (Which is a really long single player game) and Little Big Planet (which actually uses multiplayer to provide the player with new levels all the time.) So I think there are still lots of great games.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mushir

I wouldn't call it the worst generation. But I must admit I had a lot more fun playing games last gen.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's always someone unsatisfied with the current gen of gaming. Of all the classics that we loved like Mario and Metroid that were on the NES, we're quick to forget the 100 games that were complete garbage on the same console.  

One thing that is frustrating is the serious abuse gamers are receiving in the form of DLC. We're more paranoid about companies screwing us over than ever before. To me that is this gen's problem.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turbomonkey138 said:
" Well i have more fun this gen than last . "
simple, yet it's the deepest I could go when talking about games. Well put sir
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By trophyhunter

no I'd say it's one of the best but it was very slow out the gate

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Robitt

FireBurger brings up alot of good points about the advancements we made this generation. But it's somewhat hard to imagine a techonological leap such as Super Mario 64 (for example) to have any parallells today. The step from 2d to (good, functional) 3d was just huge. But going from there to somehow making the point that this generation is the "worst" I don't buy. It's just that alot of the innovation has been moved to the indie-scene, which is readily avalible to everyone today via Steam, XBL, PSN and so on.. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toowalrus

I'm playing some of the best games I've ever played. The only thing this generation doesn't have that previous ones had is the nostalgia factor, and that will come with time.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By trophyhunter
@TooWalrus said:
" I'm playing some of the best games I've ever played. The only thing this generation doesn't have that previous ones had is the nostalgia factor, and that will come with time. "
but the wii is 100% nostalgia. new punch out, new metroid, new mario bros, new zelda.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47  Edited By Cerza

While I agree that the PS2 gen was more focused on the games for games sake. I think that article is a load of crap. The reason western games have come to dominate is because the masses had their fill of the Japanese stuff last gen. Most people are tired of the over the top hormone powered adolescent heroes and villains that fulfill the same cookie cutter token roles in each of their games, which all boil down to some whiney brat and his friends and their drug dealer on an acid trip of  self discovery ,coming of age, and to save the world.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By super_machine

I hold the opposite opinion of the paragraph you posted. I'm a long time gamer. I started on Atari, played through the 8-bit and 16-bit console wars, and was mainly a PC gamer all through the 90's and up till 2004. So far, I am very happy with the choices of games and the options available with the modern consoles. There is just a lot more variety now than ever. Also, I don't miss Japanese developed games. Western games have gotten a lot more innovative from a design and technical level.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By toowalrus
@trophyhunter: Who cares about the Wii. Oh, that's not even what I'm talking about. Those games try to evoke those feelings of nostalgia. I mean, the reason we think old generations kick ass (when in realty almost everything that came out then is awful) is because of our fond memories, or 'feeling of nostalgia.' Give it 15 years and some of my fond memories will be sitting around playing Modern Warfare 2 with my friends, and having an awesome time. And We'll convince ourselves that THAT generation is way ahead of the next generation, even though the games coming out for the next generation will be way better.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50  Edited By Geno

Mass Effect overhyped? Fail.  

This generation was host to many masterpieces, including Uncharted 2, GTA IV, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Super Mario Galaxy but to name a small fraction. The person who wrote that article sounds like they haven't laid hands on a controller for the past 4 years.