This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Even though this person seems to have (and admitted to) ripping off gaints quick looks. I have to admit, I admire him as a human-being. He seems very very superior and stuff.

As far as gaming goes, the gaming media seems to be pretty bankrupt when it comes to credibility acting more along the lines of PR for whatever publisher has the most money.

Mainstream websites mostly purposefully blank out pc gaming but here aside from probably "rock, paper, shotgun" we have a fellow in the media sticking up for the platform as well as promoting (but also giving honest impressions) on indie games that also tend to be blanked out like pc gaming. He also has fought for gamers rights. It seems that youtube has helped give independent freelancers a voice amoung the dude bro mainstream websites about tits and shooting people in the face with shitheads such as Adam Sessler.

Assuming you have heard of total biscuit, do you share the same opinion? Is he a gaming hero?

#2 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

Who?

#3 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

He is a great caster for SC2 (not much substance but he says the darndest things)

I don't really know anything about him outside of SC2 though.

#4 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@Willin said:

Who?

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Assuming you have heard of total biscuit, do you share the same opinion? Is he a gaming hero?

#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

"Shitheads such as Adam Sessler?"

You know Sessler is a friend of GB and has been on the podcast before, right?

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36058 posts) -

@McGhee said:

He has? I thought that was a joke. Although I have seen the guy's Soapbox videos, and I think he's pretty cool, even if visually, he looks like he should be a one-off character in a forgotten comedy movie or something.

#7 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Who is GB? Either way, I don't like him.

Edit: Oh you mean Gaint Bomb. Makes no odds. G4 is dude bro. Tits and Call Of Duty. His soapbox is dude bro PR under the guise of being some kind of intelligent opinion. He's part of the problem.

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

No, I don't.

Then again; I like Adam Sessler, so what do I know.

#9 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Adam Sessler is awesome, so fuck you man.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (8552 posts) -

@whyareyoucrouchingspock:

I know who TotalBiscuit is, but... after your description, I don't think I know who TotalBiscuit is...

He's a nice fellow and does decent casting on occasion, but I wouldn't really call him a hero of some sort. I get the feeling this sentiment you're expressing is about a lot more than just TotalBiscuit.

#11 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

Er, who?

@Willin said:

Who?

Oh, so you're just going to be lazy... cool.

#12 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Edit: Oh you mean Gaint Bomb. Makes no odds. G4 is dude bro. Tits and Call Of Duty. His soapbox is dude bro PR under the guise of being some kind of intelligent opinion. He's part of the problem.

One thing I'm starting to find more annoying than "dude bros" is people that complain about "dude bros". There's nothing wrong with liking tits and Call of Duty. Get over yourself.

#13 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@McGhee said:

He has? I thought that was a joke. Although I have seen the guy's Soapbox videos, and I think he's pretty cool, even if visually, he looks like he should be a one-off character in a forgotten comedy movie or something.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?page=4&podcast_id=215

#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Hell no is my answer. I really don't like him from what I've watched of him. He comes of as way too self-righteous and overly cynical to me (and seems to take pride in it with his moniker "the cynical brit.") Maybe it's just the 10 or 15 videos I happened to watch that he was like this in. I don't mean to take a shit on the man, but I certainly wouldn't call him a hero of mine.

#15 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

I enjoy his "WTF is..." series. I play majority of my games nowadays on my PC and I pretty much look to see how well they run through his videos after watching the GB crew's quick looks.

#16 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@McGhee said:

One thing I'm starting to find more annoying than "dude bros" is people that complain about "dude bros". There's nothing wrong with liking tits and Call of Duty. Get over yourself.

But i'm not really commenting on "dude bros". I'm commenting about media assuming we are all dude bros.

Also, it seems odd to tell someone to "get over themselfs" when you, yourself are trying to enforce an opinion like Ed-209.

#17 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Who the hell is totally bisquick?

#18 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@McGhee said:

But i'm not really commenting on "dude bros". I'm commenting about media assuming we are all dude bros.

Also, it seems odd to tell someone to "get over themselfs" when you, yourself are trying to enforce an opinion like Ed-209.

Dude are you insane?

#19 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Er, who?

@Willin said:

Who?

But I wasn't lazy. I clearly stated the question was directed at people who know who he is.

Asking "who" then saying "oh" is generally a sign of lazyness. Either that or hipster nihilism.

#20 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Willin said:

Who?

Also sessler is the man so shut up

#21 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

isn't he an asshole? or is that some other brit I'm thinking of

#22 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

No he isn't. What a dumb assertion to call him a hero based on nothing, he holds no sway over anything video game related. He's a dummy with a video blog.

#23 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@McGhee said:

You're a dudebro!

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36058 posts) -

@McGhee:

Oh. I'd probably know that if I listened to podcasts (I've tried, but I just have no clue how to listen to podcasts). Now that that question's out of the way, @whyareyoucrouchingspock: Why do you consistently spell Giant Bomb as Gaint Bomb? It seems a bit odd to repeat that typo, especially when all the other text looks fine.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I don't know who that is, but I just want to say that Adam Sessler is cool.

#26 Posted by NunsandRoses (20 posts) -

What on earth are you talking about, man?

You act like it's some giant conspiracy that "the media" doesn't cover PC games like you want them to. Here's the thing: console games are the vast, vast majority - hence why you don't see much in the way of broad PC gaming coverage. Even with that being the case, you're forgetting about a lot of coverage. Drew and Dave here at Giant Bomb often discuss and display PC games, the recently-reborn Idle Thumbs podcast discussed PC gaming a majority of the time, PC Gamer is still a thing that exists... And indie games are most definitely not being ignored. This generation has brought indie games to the spotlight over and over. Braid and Limbo are two examples that come to mind immediately.

Not only that, but you seem to pin all of this on this vast "dude bro" tag, placing a blanket judgement on a group of people that - whether you like them or not - are legitimate consumers, and shouldn't be shat upon simply because they're different. Isn't that sort of dismissal exactly what gamers hated in the first place? Shitting on those people because they dipped a toe in "your" hobby is pretty lame.

I agree with some others in this thread. You seem to be projecting some larger issue you have with the industry onto TotalBiscuit. As much as I enjoy his videos and what he does for gaming, I wouldn't crown him as some sort of hero who's doing the right thing in the face of adversity or anything.

#27 Edited by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Er, who?

@Willin said:

Who?

But I wasn't lazy. I clearly stated the question was directed at people who know who he is.

Asking "who" then saying "oh" is generally a sign of lazyness. Either that or hipster nihilism.

I really don't care about your question, I just wanted to know who the guy was, then maybe I'd care. It's not like I tried to answer it or anything.

Quoting or calling the other person lazy for asking a question is generally a sign of laziness. Ether that or hipster, uh, well not really nihilism, but you get my point.

#28 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@Dany said:

No he isn't. What a dumb assertion to call him a hero based on nothing, he holds no sway over anything video game related. He's a dummy with a video blog.

This post seems to be ironic and hypocritical.

You could also argue that given the hundreds of thousands and millions of views, he, and people like him (such as the yogcast) have helped promote indie gaming in a time when mainstream media blanks them out.

His SOPA video also raised millions of veiws giving awareness to a topic and subject most people didn't know about. It seems, he is, in fact, a hero.

#29 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

no

#30 Posted by yoshisaur (2661 posts) -

I wouldn't go as far as to say a hero, but he is someone I look forward to watching his posted videos. Sometimes his cynical aesthetic can get a little annoying, but I guess that's part of the ticket when you watch his videos. He's a great SC2 host and random game playing person, but I doubt he goes farther than just being a normal person in real life who happens to like casting.

#31 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say a hero, but he is someone I look forward to watching his posted videos. Sometimes his cynical aesthetic can get a little annoying, but I guess that's part of the ticket when you watch his videos. He's a great SC2 host and random game playing person, but I doubt he goes farther than just being a normal person in real life who happens to like casting.

I'm pretty sure it's how he makes a living now.

#32 Edited by NunsandRoses (20 posts) -

What do you define as the "mainstream media"? Because there's a helluva lot of gaming press that cover indie games. Now, if you're going to claim that they don't cover them enough, then the issue is the market. It doesn't make any sense to have an IGN-sized site covering the most indie of indie games only because - quite simply - not enough people care. It's the same reason that ESPN doesn't show curling. Curling may be extremely important to you, but a majority of people simply don't care enough.

#33 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: This would go a lot better if you would just let people know who the fuck this guy is.

#34 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: You are being extremely broad when it comes to 'mainstream media' and are misappropriating the word 'hero' to designating anyone that preaches someone else message. Even if he does come up with some original thought on 'whatever' how does that make someone a hero? His only good deed is talking, and about what???? Video games?

God, this is so dumb, you are TOTALLY misusing the word hero in this situation and is making this entire argument facile.

#35 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Some of his coverage is good, GW2 mostly.

Pretty average skilled.

Hero.. what?

#36 Posted by Fawkes (234 posts) -

He's usually okay. I wouldn't call him a hero though.

#37 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: This would go a lot better if you would just let people know who the fuck this guy is.

I would. But most of the people appear to be very rude or deeply dislikable in the manner they talk. Besides the point, it pointless having people read up on something for 1-2 minutes then comment.

Unless you have followed him for a while, it will be moot. So it's pointless even taking part in the discussion regarding this gaming hero. Which I specifically mentioned and will now go back and highlight in bold letter for extra emphasis special effects.

#38 Posted by benpicko (2000 posts) -

His videos are great and he replied to me on here once, so yes. Yes he is.

#39 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

no, FUCK YOU

#40 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

But seriously, who is this guy?

#41 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4297 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Hell no is my answer. I really don't like him from what I've watched of him. He comes of as way too self-righteous and overly cynical to me (and seems to take pride in it with his moniker "the cynical brit.") Maybe it's just the 10 or 15 videos I happened to watch that he was like this in. I don't mean to take a shit on the man, but I certainly wouldn't call him a hero of mine.

I'm in the same boat. I don't know what it is, but I just don't 'get' him. I see people practically fucking blowing this guy on forums everywhere and I'm just completely lost. I think he's annoying and I don't find him funny or interesting at all. That's just me though so meh

Anywho, Adam Sessler is the shit. G4 must be paying him a pretty penny because I can't imagine any reason why he'd stick around there. To my knowledge, he's very well-respected among his peers and knows his stuff front to back so I feel he could get a job anywhere else if he wanted to.

#42 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

You've talked about dudebros and hipsters in one page. You're really into labels aren't you?

#43 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

He has some interesting videos, good coverage and good opinions on games, but the man isn't a god. He has his flaws like everyone else, and really, what you should be doing is making up your own opinions based on your own experiences, not praising him for having some of his own. Also he's said multiple times that he isn't a PC only gamer.

Also also, Rock Paper Shotgun is awesome, and while G4 is shit, Adam Sessler is actually the only guy there that knows anything about games.

#44 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Even though this person seems to have (and admitted to) ripping off gaints quick looks. I have to admit, I admire him as a human-being. He seems very very superior and stuff.

As far as gaming goes, the gaming media seems to be pretty bankrupt when it comes to credibility acting more along the lines of PR for whatever publisher has the most money.

Mainstream websites mostly purposefully blank out pc gaming but here aside from probably "rock, paper, shotgun" we have a fellow in the media sticking up for the platform as well as promoting (but also giving honest impressions) on indie games that also tend to be blanked out like pc gaming. He also has fought for gamers rights. It seems that youtube has helped give independent freelancers a voice amoung the dude bro mainstream websites about tits and shooting people in the face with shitheads such as Adam Sessler.

Stopped at" Ripping off quick looks" 
#45 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

He's a good commentator and makes decent quick looks, sure. I have no idea what a "gaming hero" is, though.

#46 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

What the fuck is a gaming hero?!

#47 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@xobballox said:

I'm in the same boat. I don't know what it is, but I just don't 'get' him. I see people practically fucking blowing this guy on forums everywhere and I'm just completely lost. I think he's annoying and I don't find him funny or interesting at all. That's just me though so meh

Anywho, Adam Sessler is the shit. G4 must be paying him a pretty penny because I can't imagine any reason why he'd stick around there. To my knowledge, he's very well-respected among his peers and knows his stuff front to back so I feel he could get a job anywhere else if he wanted to.

I feel the exact same about Adam Sessler in how you just discribed Total Biscut.

When I watch this fellow, Adam Sesslers on the G4. He does this Soapbox thing. It's very similar to Total Biscut. However, Total Biscut being heroic in nature, mainly gives time to games that no one else gives time too, indie and pc titles. Adam Sesslers on the G4, soapbox thing. just seems to be pandering to what ever game is the most mainstream at the moment. And like alot of media, dis-regards the pc's existence unless it's something obligatory, kind of like the token black man in tv's and movies. He seems to be just as much a corporate stoog as the rest with a "down with the kids" schlock to appeal to whoever will be duped.

#48 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

I like his videos but he's a "Hero"? seriously?

Heck, I remember him saying in one of his mailbox video that he hated the fanboys that worship him and agree to his words unconditionally.

Also, the Sess is a shithead? not cool man.

#49 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@Packie said:

I like his videos but he's a "Hero"? seriously?

Heck, I remember him saying in one of his mailbox video that he hated the fanboys that worship him and agree to his words unconditionally.

Also, the Sess is a shithead? not cool man.

This seems like a good point. Being reluctant would make him an anti-hero similar to Yojimbo or that fellow from the Westerns.

#50 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Stopped at" Ripping off quick looks"

Taking the time to type this was probably more effort than reading. This again would be a sign of hipster nihilism.

Being mean or rude does not make you a super cool dude. Please stay on topic and stop attempting to be trendy like the 4chan. This is not 4chan. Stick on topic.